Housecleaners? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vague title...here is the situation.

DH and I disagree on definition of "clean house". It has been a source of conflict the entire 13 years we have been married. So I have always been the one to let things go...my personality is more free, yes more messy I blame it on my creativity...I have always had excuses, but now have a new baby and a toddler.

DH was in the military but swears that his standards are not too high, that I could find a way. It is the clutter (in a small house) and the dishes/laundry more than him thinking things are unsanitsary. We both agree that for the most part his job is outside the home-at his office and in the yard-under the car so him helping more is not the option we are looking for.

He thinks I am a fabuluous mother and so he knows that I would much rather sit and read to my child or take a nature walk than clean. But it is really disturbing to him to have an unorderly home and I want to respect that part of his personality.

So even though we cannot afford it, he suggested this morning to look into a housecleaner....so are they pricey??? Should I look for a housecleaning service? A private individual? A postpartum doula?

I'd love to hear any thoughts on this from other SAHMS- don't be afraid to be honest!!!!

Thanks!
#2 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 07:59 PM

after reading nickel and dimed I wouldn't hire an agency.I'd get a private individual.
#3 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 08:49 PM

To hire an individual in our area (Idaho) its $10 a hour.
#4 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 09:04 PM

i would look for an individual. mostly because i have known people who cleaned houses for a living. you might be able to really help another mom out.
#5 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Do not waste your money with an agency, like Merry Maids, etc. Pre-DD, DH and I were very busy and had little time together. Who wants to waste that time cleaning? We found a coupon in the pennysaver for a maid service. The first cleaning was awesome, but the following cleans were not up to par. We aren't dirty people, so it's not like they had to clean much. It felt like they only made the place smell clean. They also made a big show of cleaning the floors on their hands and knees. Why? Work smarter, not harder!! Then through a friend of a friend we found a momma who cleaned. She was cheaper and did an awesome job.
#6 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 09:57 PM

Heck, I'm not ashamed to say that I am a SAHM who has a weekly cleaning lady come in. I still do plenty of things around my home, but for me and my family, it works out well for us to have the cleaning lady do all of the heavy duty time consuming stuff.

I have never used an agency. I have used the same lady for 7 years now and I love her. I pay her $75 a week and she's here for about 5 hrs each time she cleans, so what is that, $15 an hour?

I REALLY enjoy having her. I do not miss mopping floors and scrubbing toilets.

I say go for it! It sounds like you and your dh both will be happier!

~lisa~mama to 3 boys (1/02, 5/04, 12/06)
#7 of 32 Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 PM

Hmmm....here's the thing...if your problem is mainly clutter/dishes/laundry, that is not the kind of tasks housecleaners typically do. The way it usually works is that the homeowners keep on top of the daily clutter/dishes/laundry and the cleaning person comes in to do the cleaning of floors, bathrooms, dusting, vacuuming, etc. They will often do things like strip and re-make beds, but not do the general household laundry. Or wipe down all the appliances in the kitchen, but not run the dishwasher and put away dishes.

But if you hire someone privately, rather than through an agency, I'm sure it's all negotiable as to what services they actually do.
#8 of 32 Old 09-07-2005, 04:45 PM

Is there a college near by? You could put an ad out for a "mother's helper" and then when interviewing, explain what you want and expect...I'm sure you'll find SOME people, reasonably priced to help you out!
#9 of 32 Old 09-07-2005, 04:59 PM

I'm looking at doing the same thing before DH divorces me for being so messy. :LOL I'm gonna try Craigs List.
#10 of 32 Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 PM

I would also look into hiring an individual as opposed to a service. In my experience, the cleaning is better with an individual. I don't have a cleaning person now, but am looking into getting someone to do a good deep cleaning every three months. I don't see why anyone would clean their own house if they could afford a house cleaner. I'd rather spend time with my kids/dh than cleaning!
#11 of 32 Old 09-07-2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggerwocky
after reading nickel and dimed I wouldn't hire an agency.I'd get a private individual.

I agree with this. Plus hiring an individulal often helps a female entrepenuer which is a great thing.

My Etsy Shop
Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#12 of 32 Old 09-07-2005, 10:43 PM

I say hire an individual. Up until we moved last month we'd had a lady coming once every-other week. We paid her $50 per cleaning. She did things like sweeping/mopping floors, vacuuming, dusting, bathrooms, wiping down counters and kitchen appliances. She would also make our beds and pick up any toys or clothes that the kids has left out. She was usually only at my home for 2 hours, so I thought $50 was great money for her!

#13 of 32 Old 09-07-2005, 11:22 PM

I'm looking into getting someone to just come every few months for the really heavy duty stuff...but I have a question. What do you do while they are here? I couldn't stand just sitting on the sofa like a blob while someone cleaned my house, do you go on a walk with DC? Arrange for him/her to come at a time you're likely to be gone? Do you leave them alone in your house? I'd have a big deal with that (thieves and stuff)?? What does everyone else do?

Renae wife to J :, Mama to 4.5y/o J-bird and 2y/o A : and E coming in late Dec/Early Jan. My husband had a living donor kidney transplant! :
#14 of 32 Old 09-08-2005, 11:17 PM

Hi!
I'd say "go ahead!" I don't know what to tell you about how to find someone but you might ask around...look at bulletin boards,etc.

We have someone come 1x/month and I'm hoping to up it to 2x/month. (Honestly, if 1 week was even remotely possible I'd do that!!)
We have a woman who basically retired and wants to earn money and keep busy/active. We pay her $125 for 1x/month and she quoted us $190 for 2x a month. I do think this is a lot but you know what, it's worth it to me. And, I know that she has to pay for insurance and stuff and private health insurance. It will really depend of who you find, the size of your house, and what you want them to do. If you want help with dishes and stuff you might look for a "mother's helper" if you want scrubbing tubs, etc. look for a "house cleaner"
I still do a ton of work around here...so does my dh. Like a previous poster mentioned, we generally don't ask her to load/unload dishes, laundry, etc. But you know what, she would do anything for me. (you know, cleaning wise!)

I spend that time with my kids doing the normal stuff we do...playing outside, reading stories in the playroom, etc. I try to keep them out though so they don't pull toys out in rooms she hasn't cleaned yet. I feel comfortable enough to leave her here while I take my kids out. Of course, we've built up our relationship...and I found her name by a friend of mine who knew her for a long time so I felt better going into it.

Good Luck!
#15 of 32 Old 10-01-2005, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Good point, wednesday, about clutter and normal picking up...

Here is what happened: I got a recommendation from someone and she came just for a trial run. This is a young musician gal who makes all her own natural cleaning solutions with essential oils, etc. But, she is 25 bucks an hour because we live a ways out of town.

Ladies, it was heavenly though to be able to sit on my porch swing and smile at my baby while someone else cleaned my bathroom. So I'm thinking maybe once a month, might be good for my sanity. I actually ran around cleaning before she came to clean so she wouldn't think I was a slob Ha! Maybe it was inspirational.

Not sure if it will make a huge difference though, because it was counters and floors in kitchen and bathrooms. Still, there are clutter and organizational needs that I need to address within my own self, I suppose You mamas who are the organized one of your marraige, be the devil's advocate for me and tell me why it is so important!
#16 of 32 Old 10-02-2005, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been having another mama come and clean for the past month and and a half. She comes once a week for 2 hours and does the floors, stove, bathroom, etc... It works great for both of us, she is a SAHM who needs a little extra cash. I found that after the first couple weeks that I really got caught up on all the other stuff in the house that I had let go for so long. I used to always worry about when I was going to clean, now that I don;t have to worry about that, I use a few minutes here and there to deep clean and declutter.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#17 of 32 Old 10-02-2005, 03:36 AM

When I did housekeeping I charged $12.50 an hour with a minimum of 2 hours.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#18 of 32 Old 10-02-2005, 04:17 AM
Banned

Do not hire an agency, they don't do a good job. Hire an individual - rates can be anywhere from $10-$20 an hour depending on if you furnish your own supplies etc. Get somebody lots of good with references, too.
#19 of 32 Old 10-02-2005, 04:57 AM
Banned

It sounds like what you need is not a housekeeper (although who doesn't like that?) but rather a professional organizer, and to have the organizer come when BOTH of you are there, so that your husband's needs for order are addressed but the systems are set up to work with *your* personal organizing style. Since he's the one who wants things a certain way but you're the one who's going to do the work, a really high-quality professional organizer can address this situation and help you both be happy without you having to waste all your time trying to do work you feel is unnecessary.

Can you tell I've been watching "neat" on Discovery Home Channel?
#20 of 32 Old 10-02-2005, 08:07 AM

We have someone come in once a week to clean, because keeping the place organized is almost more than I can handle. The thought of having to do bathrooms, mop, dust, vacuum etc. and keep ahead of 2 under 2 is just too much for me. I HATE cleaning with a passion and our place is still a wreck, but I am cutting myself a little slack because we have only been home with our second for 2 weeks.

I highly recommend hiring an individual and NOT an agency. We pay $20 an hour and it usually takes her less than 2 hours. The other day she came with another woman but we didn't get charged extra.

She is a cool lady. It helps if it's someone you like because having someone clean your house is very intimate and embarrasing if you don't feel comfortable with them.

Cheers!
#21 of 32 Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 AM

I have a housekeeper come every week and I love it! My stress level has come waaaay down. We pay $60 a week and she is here for a few hours. She brings all her own supplies and even does laundry (cloth diapers included!!!) I never asked her to do laundry but she said it was no big deal to run the washer while she was cleaning. She's a young woman putting herself thru school.
Oh...and I take the kids to the park while she's here. As much as I love having her clean, I can't watch her do it! I feel lazy...lol Plus I get the "full effect" when I walk into a spotless house after spending the afternoon at the park. The few times we have been here while she's been working, the kids get into the cleaning supplies, walk on the wet floor and want to talk her ear off.
If you can afford it, go for it!!!!
PS. Regarding decluttering: the other benefit of having the soudekeeper is that the night before she comes we clear off counters, put toys away, file paperwork etc. to make it easier for her to clean. So every week my house gets a good clean up.
#22 of 32 Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm reading an entire book on the subject right now called "Cheaper than Divorce" but I .
#23 of 32 Old 10-07-2005, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireflies~for~me
You mamas who are the organized one of your marraige, be the devil's advocate for me and tell me why it is so important!
Like your husband, I need order in my home. I have to have a clean, decluttered room to cook in. I need a clean, decluttered room to relax in. It's the way I've always been when even as I child I kept an immaculate room. My house isn't immaculate now, but it's decluttered, organized, and clean.

As to why it's important to me. I can't say why except that I like things that way and can't relax in a mess.
#24 of 32 Old 10-07-2005, 12:36 PM

We have an individual (I'd suggest that over an agency, too) come in every other week and do the deep cleaning stuff - bathrooms, kitchen, hardwood and tile floors, dusting. It makes a HUGE difference for us. DH and I never argue about housework any more, and we used to a lot.

For us, the clutter is the problem, but because the clutter has to be cleaned up in order to do the deep cleaning, I was constanty feeling overwhelmed and the deep cleaning was a real struggle to get done. Add to that a baby who for the longest time would only take two half hour naps per day - obviously not long enough for me to scrub the bathrooms, which I would never do with her near the area.

So yeah, I say go for it. I think it can really help with harmony in the home.
#25 of 32 Old 10-07-2005, 01:14 PM

I don't have a housecleaner so I can't tell you about that.
I guess I am the organized one in our home by default of caring more than anyone else. At least I am trying to be more organized.
When we lived in a smaller place it seemed impossible to get things uncluttered. I would work at it but it was really just moving the clutter around because we didn't have much storage. It never looked much better.
We've moved to a larger place and that helped. We also got rid of a bunch of stuff and that helped too.

A book that was interesting to me was Organizing From The Inside Out by Julie Morgenstern.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#26 of 32 Old 10-07-2005, 01:23 PM

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hire someone to clean my house. I loathe and detest housework. In my opinion, the best thing about life when I was working full-time was that I did less cleaning. I don't mind the day-to-day maintenance stuff all that much, and we don't have a clutter problem (I'm a toss-it-in-the-trash-if-you-haven't-used-it-this-week kinda gal). It's the heavy housework that I hate doing.

Unfortunately, I don't have two dimes to rub together most weeks, let alone $20 an hour to pay a housecleaner. There are a million things we need more, like DD's winter coat and boots, and the brakes done on my car, and oh I could go on and on.

I am wickedly envious of those of you who have someone come in to clean. It sounds like heaven.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#27 of 32 Old 10-10-2005, 09:14 AM

If you are going to get a housecleaner, get an induvidual and check their references.

I cleaned 3 trailers, once a week, when we lived in TN. I charged $50 for the first cleaning and $25. thereafter. I was only there about 2 hrs, so I think it was ok. I stripped beds and changed linens and washed the dirty linens/towels. I dusted and vacumned the bedrooms, halls and living rooms. I cleaned the bathrooms and kitchens and mopped. I only did dishes for ONE client, and that was because he only had a few and was disabled.

In our current area, I would charge more. Houses generally are bigger and take more time.

If I had to clear out clutter constantly, I would charge more. You need to keep the clutter picked up.
#28 of 32 Old 10-10-2005, 01:58 PM

We hired a housecleaner while I was pregnant (not allowed to do cleaning b/c of risk of preterm labor, etc.) I kept them for a year while my twins were infants.

Then I realized I was better off hiring a sitter to watch them so I could clean. (You could even hire a mother's helper for less, since you'll be home.) I did a better job and I could prioritize and work on different areas as needed. It's been cheaper and I think our house is cleaner. It's amazing what you can accomplish in an hour or two without kids underfoot. Also, I found that once I had a system for things, and my kids got old enough to help with laundry (which they love), things got better.

My priorities are laundry and the kitchen. Everything else can get pretty bad as long as those things are done, IMO.
#29 of 32 Old 10-10-2005, 11:20 PM

I'm a wannabe organized person. :LOL I understand where your dh is coming from with regard to clutter, because when I look at a mess of paperwork/odds & ends I just want to turn around and hide my head under a cushion. It really stresses me out. Every night now, I tidy the kitchen & all the boys toys. I also keep about 4 baskets; if I don't feel like taking care of things I dump them in baskets -- toys in one, paperwork in another, laundry in a third, etc. Then I stack them in a corner. The next morning when I get up I have a tidy house, and semi-seperated baskets that I can carry around & empty into appropriate spots. Of course I still have paperwork filled boxes that accumulate every few months that take me years (yes I did say years) to totally dispose of, but at least it isn't on my kitchen counter, kwim?

It really does affect your mood when your home is orderly with nice open/empty/clean floors/counters. It's as if your soul sighs a happy little sigh of contentment.

And I second the idea of the home organizing consultant -- here are a couple resources I just googled: http://www.dianealbright.com/default.htm http://www.sideroad.com/consultants/...nsultants.html

Here's another one that may have people to come to your home: http://www.organizeyourworld.com/othercat12.htm There are more I think, just google "home ogranizing consultant"
#30 of 32 Old 10-11-2005, 01:00 PM

I am a SAHM with three kids. I have a local teen come in and deap clean my kitchen, and all three baths once a week. That is all she does, and usually I am doing the rest of the housework right along with her. She gets 50 bucks but sometimes she is here for more than five hours. (cleaning out the fridge, oven ect...) I feed her lunch, snack, whatever. I do not know if it is expensive, but it really works for us.

My husband set it up for me after me handing him the baby one day and saying "go away"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page