help! what do you do when you're sick as a dog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dh is off to work in a few minutes and i'm barely able to drag myself off the couch to get to the computer, let alone be a good mama to my 11 mos old. she's ultra fussy too-- teething i think. any suggestions how to make it through the day?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 09:03 PM

this post
if you do tv then this is one time to use those kid videos
a small basket with goodies that only come out during these times with toys and books she doesn't usually get to play with/read.
Stringing beads-the HUGE ones so she won't choke, blocks, stacking cups
sippees in the fridge of water/juice/bm if she is using cups so you can just get one out
ask dh tonight if you are still feeling bad to help prepare this stuff and some bite size snacks if she is eating table food so all you have to do is get the ziploc bags out and feed her
for you keep diapers/wipes etc in a basket close by your sick bed
water
that is all i can think of right now
#3 of 16 Old 09-06-2005, 11:07 PM

Have dh prepare a days worth of food. I'll second the videos, really, when all you can do is lay on the couch, well videos are a life saver.

You babe is still pretty young any chance she'd love a day of laying on the couch nursing? That way you could get some rest.

Being sick sucks, really. Since we stay home there isn't a babysitter for them to go to so you can rest. Any chance dh can get home early?

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#4 of 16 Old 09-07-2005, 01:41 AM

depends on how sick I am. I've done the videos all day thing, I've also called a neighbor to see if I could set up a playdate, and last month when I thought I was going to die, I called my mom and asked her to come get the baby, figuring it would be a video day for the older 2. Then called her back like 3 hours later and asked her to come get the others. I was MIS-ER-A-BLE. If you don't have anyone nearby, and you're that miserable, can your DH come home?

I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling lousy. Hope you're back on the mend soon!
#5 of 16 Old 09-08-2005, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

on labor day i was so delirious that i could not stay awake, but because of the holiday dh was home all day to watch the babe. i was terrified that tuesday would be just as bad, but luckily i was already on the mend. i managed to stay awake and instead of videos, i employed the pacifier as my full-time helper. dh said he could be "on-call" to come home and i think just knowing that was a big relief. thanks again for your thoughts!
#6 of 16 Old 09-08-2005, 08:15 PM

It sounds horrible, but today, I am taking full advantage of the electronic babysitter. DH is working a 12 hour day, I am pregnant and sick as a dog. Right now, i am laying on the couch with the laptop.
My DS is older, but it is still a challenge. I let him set up his wooden trains in the living room, so he is playing with those right now.
#7 of 16 Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 PM

Wow, I guess I'm just really of a different line of thought. If I'm so sick I am actually delirious, or afraid that the baby won't be taken care of all day, my dh stays home. That's what sick time is for, and you are allowed to use your sick time to take care of an ill family member. I guess if dh didn't have sick time, I would call in my mom, or find someone else I trusted to take the kids as much as possible. I realize some people don't have family close by or anything like that, but if you are really afraid the baby will be in danger, you figure something out. I have been sick, I have spent the day on the couch and let the kids watch tv all day, I rarely ask dh to stay home, but every time I have, he has done it. (Other than the hell that was my life dealing with PPD after ds was born, then I wanted him to stay home every day and I cried when he left in the morning. That was not normal.) I hope you are feeling better soon.

R~mama to 3

#8 of 16 Old 09-09-2005, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The one time that I was really sick DH stayed home from work. Another option could be having a friend or family member help out.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#9 of 16 Old 09-10-2005, 07:01 AM

If I'm really sick, DH stays home from work. The last time was about 6 weeks ago. Both kids had been sick for a couple of days, but I was still hanging in there. However one morning, I woke up feeling this close --> <-- to death myself. DS (3yo) woke up and said he wanted breakfast, so I got up and got him something and then collapsed back into bed. About 15 minutes later, he came into the room, came up on the bed, and promptly puked up his entire bowl of cheerios. As DH was getting out of bed to grab a towel to clean it up, DD (5 mos at the time) puked on the bed, too. As I was cleaning up the messes, I just started sobbing because I had no idea how I was going to manage taking care of two sick kids when I felt so horrible myself.

DH stayed home that day.
#10 of 16 Old 09-13-2005, 01:50 PM

Once when I was 5 my entire family got the flu at a time hat we were living far from family and didn't know the neighbors yet, I actually remember fondly three entire days of freedom coupled with responsibility (fed the baby, made cereal and toaster waffles for my 3 year old brother, brought water glasses to the lumps in bed that were my parents). Ok not a great situation but if you do have children who are older than infancy, its a chance to try letting them do a few things more independently

Right now though if I am really sick DH stays home, he has good sick leave benefits, if I'm just kind of bleh, we spend a lot of time hanging out in the house.

Aviva
#11 of 16 Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 AM

Well, if I can manage a little I let dd watch TV all day long. If I can't handle getting up every 20 min. to get her something or cook, etc. then either dh has to stay home or I have to get someone to come over and get the kid. She is glued to me so sometimes I can't get someone to come over and get her because she won't leave with them, but even if they come watch TV with her while I lay in bed it is a big help.

Being a SAHM really sucks when you're sick (it's about the only time it does) but you do whatever you can to take care of yourself.
I will admit that it's hard to do---I've actually driven dd to kindergarten while I was dizzy and hoping I didn't have to find a bathroom in a hurry. I'm not sure what I was thinkin' with that whole thing

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#12 of 16 Old 09-23-2005, 02:45 AM

Well, I'm going to repeat, but this is what has worked for me:
  • Drugs. I know not everyone is cool with medications, but I personally have no qualms about taking Ibuprofen when I have a bad headache.

* Entice your baby/toddler to nurse, nurse, nurse in bed or on the couch all day long. They're not getting into anything and you're laying down.

* Television. This is what it's for.

* Quiet activities that you can tolerate, like crayons in the high chair.

* Ask your DP, relatives, neighbors, whoever to spell you during their lunch hour if they work reasonably close to your home. Call in the favors. If you have a mother's helper or babysitter, see if they can come for an hour or so while you nap.

* Tell your DP, if you have one, they will be coming home early no matter what.

* Let DC play with objects that are normally off-limits (but not easily broken or dangerous), like the espresso machine.

* Ply DC with interesting food so they stay in the high chair longer. Not mobile = safer for DC and far less attentive work for you.

* Keep some inexpensive new toys hidden for days like this. For example, when I strike it big at a garage sale, I only give Bleuet a few things right away. The rest I stash for when I have a deadline, we're sick, the weather is crappy, or unspecified toddler angst. It is wonderful to be able to wander down to my basement and bring out a "new" train, coloring book, etc.
And feel better. We all empathize, and it absolutely sucks.
#13 of 16 Old 09-23-2005, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well last night I was up all night sick, so I was super tired today. I made DS1 breakfast and washed out the dishes. Then I pretty much spent the rest of the day with DS2 on the tit. My inlaws came to get DS1 as he was planning on staying at their house anyway.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 10:41 PM

If I am completely sick, as in I can't even get out of bed or am throwing up all over the place (apart from morning sickness which is extended), I make DH take a sick day from work. This has only happened twice in two years, but I seriously can't take care of a small child if I can't physically take care of myself.
#15 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM

2 words:

Movie day!

Oh, and make dh bring home lunch for the kids.

How are you? Hope the crud didn't last long!
#16 of 16 Old 10-03-2005, 12:39 AM

If I'm feeling so sick that I think there is no way I could get up if my child were to get into something, DH stays home. If I'm really sick, but think if I absolutely had to, I could get up, I have DH make sure the living room is as baby proof as humanly possible, then he brings out the TV and the DVD player, books, and a bunch of toys. He leaves out snacks that the kids can just graze on all day and leaves out plenty of sippy cups and bottles of water. We all stay in the living room all day long. I lay on the couch with the remote and the kids play, watch TV, watch DVD's and graze on the food my DH left out for them.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page