Is your house clean? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 65 Old 09-22-2005, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have waay too much stuff in this house and want to declutter more ruthlessly but am married to the EMPEROR of the packrats ,, I feel your pain..
#62 of 65 Old 09-22-2005, 11:59 PM

Oh, and I wanted to add...

I don't expect DH to do the housework, but I do expect him to do his share (agreed upon by us) and to pick up after himself.

I may do the housework, but I am no freaking maid. Socks on the floor get thrown out
#63 of 65 Old 09-23-2005, 04:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadmaMorgana
Oh, and I wanted to add...

I don't expect DH to do the housework, but I do expect him to do his share (agreed upon by us) and to pick up after himself.

I may do the housework, but I am no freaking maid. Socks on the floor get thrown out
ha ha, my husband wouldn't have any socks left in a week flat if I went by your policy!
#64 of 65 Old 09-23-2005, 10:06 PM

Well, IMO, there is tidy and there is clean. Tidy is 80% of the work. If it's tidy, it's easy to clean. If it isn't tidy, cleaning is a nightmare.

I try to spend a few minutes here and there every day keeping our house tidy. On Monday's I do the cleaning. If it doesn't get done then, it has to wait until the next week. I like getting my cleaning over with so I don't have to think about it every day. But that's just me.

As for the division of duties, I do everything pretty much. DH cleans up the kitchen about half the time. I do everything else. I even mow the lawn (he does the trimming). He works full time and is going to grad school part time. I do everything myself that I possibly can because I would rather he spend his few spare moments with me than doing chores.

Tana, wife to Steve (5/02), mom to Ben (7/03), Joey (10/06) and Caroline (9/09)
#65 of 65 Old 09-25-2005, 03:39 PM

I agree with your post! It took a long, long time for dh and I to get a system down that we both feel happy about. For a long time my standards were too high and I was stressed trying to keep a clean home *and* nurture our children the way I wanted to.

The house is clean but cluttered. Things get cleaned when they get to a certain point where I can't stand it any more. I keep up on laundry and dishes, and I keep the guest bathroom clean, but not most other things on a daily basis. I cook most of the meals but it's not always gourmet. My favorite thing is to cook up a big veggie stew and have it last for 2 days (even longer if I put some in the freezer for later).

My dh's main job in the house is to pick up those little things that are out of place at the end of the day: toys, books, crayons, etc. That is half the battle right there, and makes the house look cleaner when that's all put away. He also does the yard work and pet care.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page