Is your house clean? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think that a SAHM should be responsible for cleaning the entire house, mainly because taking care of children is the primary responsibility (and a big one). My dh agrees, but it seems like every weekend is filled with us both trying to clean the house together. Also, there are some projects that he has been putting on the back burner because it is taking longer for us to clean. When I was working we both cleaned the house, but it took much less time. Is your house clean? Who does most of the housework? Do you have any tips?

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#2 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 08:15 PM

at the moment
I do all of the housework except for ds 18 and dd 12 laundry.
Unless i am in a serious flare then I may contract out
have you checked out www.flylady.net and www.organizedhome.com or the five minute messy websites?
managing stuff in bits seems to help
#3 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 08:31 PM

I do most all the house work. Dh likes to load and unload the dishwasher.

i have a friend who told me that someone had told her years ago to work on the living room, always keep it neat and clean so if guests come over it ready. By keeping it clutter free its easy. All decorations go on walls as to keep the look of clutter down.
Next comes the kitchen. The bedrooms dont worry about just close the door :LOL
It works, her house is always company ready and DONT look in the bedrooms :LOL

It for me is much easier then flylady. My house is decent right now, the laundry room has lots of clothes on the floor but the door closes The bedrooms arent even bad
#4 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 08:44 PM

No. My house is not clean. Well, it's acceptable. The stairs need sweeping, and the bathroom is a little questionable, but for the most part it's okay. It's not filthy, and the clutter is under control, but there's dust and the laundry is piled up and I know the kitchen floor could use a wash. It's just not our highest priority.

We share the housework in what strikes us as a pretty reasonable division of labor. I do a lot of the daily maintenance stuff, like laundry and sweeping, while he tends to do bigger once-in-a-while chores. I tend to do more of the planning oriented housework, like shopping lists and seeing what needs to be done, just because I'm better at it. And as DD is getting older and more able to play beside me while I work, my house is steadily getting cleaner,

but no, it's not clean, not by what I gather are most people's standards. And honestly, it just doesn't mean all that much to me. A reasonable level of sanitation is all I ask.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#5 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 08:56 PM

I do all of the house work but I mostly surface clean for an hour before dh gets home. If I cleaned earlier the house would be a mess before he got home. I do a lot of cleaning in passing and during nap times.
#6 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 09:02 PM

our house is a sloppy, not entirely unpacked disaster. i wish it weren't. house keeping is mostly my responsibility. dp is supposed to pick up the living room while i put dd down for bed each night but we've had an incredibly busy couple of weeks and everything is behind. it should take until next week end to get caught up again.
#7 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 10:01 PM

We both agreed before Rach came along that our standards of "clean house" were going to have to change. We keep surfaces uncluttered, the dishes rotated, the laundry washed, and the floors vacuumed. We split everything pretty equally, but he probably does more when you factor in mowing the lawn and garbage duty.

On a whim, one of us will really scrub the toilet or bathtub, or take time to do more intensive cleaning. Most often not though.

It's not uncommon for a clean basket of laundry to be where the day's clothing is found or for Rach's toys to be left out on the floor several days in a row.

There's nothing disgusting, but it's certainly not guest worth either!
#8 of 65 Old 09-06-2005, 10:46 PM

I do most cleaning, and I have a schedule for it. Mondays are kitchen and downstairs bathroom, Tuesdays are downstairs dusting and vacuuming, Wednesday is upstairs bathroom and change all sheets on beds, and Thursday is upstairs dusting and vaccuming. I tidy as I go each day, and every night I sweep kitchen floor. Every other night I also mop kitchen floor. My hardwood floors I also mop, every other week.

I always keep toys out for dd. She has toy stations around the house, so I never put everything away. I just make sure everything is around its general home area (legos in this corner, dolls on couch, etc) before we go to sleep each night.

I spend one to two hours each day cleaning, depending on the day. Sometimes I remember to wipe down baseboards and clean windows, and some weeks I vacuum the downstairs twice instead of once.

Our house is reasonably clean, I think. Not completely organized in an optimal fashion, but reasonably clean.
#9 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM

Our house is a mess. But thanks to flylady, I'm making a dent. S-l-o-w-l-y. I'm trying to remind myself to work hard for 15 minutes, and I've started giving the kids "chores" to help around the house. Nothing big, and jobs they seem to like to do, so I don't feel guilty about it.

I used to be an extremely organized person. Schedules, routines, deadlines were my lifeline. Then they created the internet, and all heck went out the window. :LOL I am trying to get back to it though. I am a mainly single momma (DH lives 1/2 way across the country during the week, and is only here for maybe 36 hours on the weekends, IF i'm lucky) and our house is in the middle of renovations, and we're getting ready to move, so cleaning isn't a high priority.
#10 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 12:09 PM

My house is reasonable, I do a load of laundry every morning, so it has time to dry on the line (I hate to use my dryer) Toys are everywhere, but it dosn't take too long to chuck them into their basket at the end of the day. The bathroom gets cleaned once a week. Dh and I wash the days dishes together after supper. I wash he drys and puts away. Sometimes I do another load during the day if I've been baking and there is lot's of extras. I'm obsesive about crumbs and bits of things on the floor since I've had kids. When I was little, a friend of the families son (1yr old at the time) choked to death on a piece of dried food he found on the floor. I live in fear of that so the floors, especially the kitchen, are swept after each meal.

I do most of the housework, but our policy is that is dh is bothered by something I haven't got to yet, he can go ahead and do it himself.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#11 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 12:16 PM

i do the majority of the housework too. during the day while the kids are playing or napping i throw a load into the washer and when we go outside and they are playing nicely i will hang out the clothes. i clean up at night when the kids are in bed for the night. thats when i sweep, vacuum, wash dishes and also plan our dinner for the next night, so i marinate whatever and precut veggies, ect. my dh works at night sometimes so i have a lot of alone time at night and i like to have everything done and then i get to relax.
#12 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 12:23 PM
Banned

Our apartment is decent but not white glove clean if you know what I mean. I try to tidy during the day and occasionally will get on a kick where I clean everything like a nutter --- I try to do things when I am in the area... like for instance if I am waiting for my lunch to heat up or something, for the 3 minutes I am waiting I will wipe down the counters in the kitchen or sweep the kitchen floor -- when I am taking a shower, I wipe down the shower (I clean with vinegar and I rinse my hair with it so I just kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak lol)... when I get out of the shower and am drying off I will wipe down the counter etc...

Usually when our daughter naps I will pick up the living room -- she is just now starting the age of toys (she is 3 months) so we keep them in baskets that I just toss them into...if I am online I will wipe off and straighen the desk while I am reading posts ...

Things like that. Could it be cleaner? Sure, but when my daughter is grown, I would much rather she talk about the fun we had, the books we read, the walks we took than, boy, our house sure was clean!!

I am one of these people who is just as creeped out by someone who has a PERFECTLY neat house with little children than I would be if someone lived in absolute filth lol
#13 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy
Things like that. Could it be cleaner? Sure, but when my daughter is grown, I would much rather she talk about the fun we had, the books we read, the walks we took than, boy, our house sure was clean!!

I am one of these people who is just as creeped out by someone who has a PERFECTLY neat house with little children than I would be if someone lived in absolute filth lol
:
I feel that way too. Also, I have a lot of ways that I like to spend my time that don't involve cleaning. I knit and spin, read a lot, take long walks and hikes with DD, and I'm making a quilt. Those things will come before cleaning ANY day, if I find myself with a bit of free time. I keep the house clean enough that it's not unhealthy and I keep the clutter down to a level that DH and I can live with, and that's good enough for me. I do like to put DD's toys away before she naps and before she goes to sleep at night, because it gives her a sense of closure and because then she gets all the fun of pulling them all out again when she wakes up, which is her favorite part of the day. :LOL

As far as the dust goes, I work on the theory that too much time in a "sanitized" environment isn't good for a child's immune system and that helps me feel better about it. I have three cats, and it's tough to keep the hair and dust down with that many, but none of us have allergies.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#14 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 PM

My house is clean enough that I can usually welcome in an unexpected guest without being mortified. That's my standard. I usually do the bulk of the cleaning because I have higher standards than dh - he is comfortable with letting the house decompensate steadily throughout the week and then doing a big cleanup as a family on saturday morning. But, he's the one that isn't home for 40+hrs a week and I am the one that has to sit in the steadily growing filth day in and day out! For that reason alone, I like to keep up on the cleaning.

My sister said her rule is "Whoever is most bothered by the mess has to pick it up." It seems to work pretty well for us. Dh helps alot though, I usually save the truly gaggy jobs for him. lol

flowersforyou.gif

#15 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Clean or tidy?? My house is pretty clean. I keep it clean enough so that an unexpected visitor won't run in terror. I also have a schedule for cleaning because I hate to clean on the weekends. My DH works very long hours and I like to keep weekends for relaxing family time. I don't mind doing the bulk of the housework, so on the weekends we can do things as a family and not have to worry about the laundry or whatever. However my house usually is covered in toys. My DS loves to drag his stuff all over the house and dump it in big piles! I usually do a toy clean up twice or at least at the end of the day.

Mom to Zach eat.gif , 2 cat.gif, 1dog2.gif, and a whole lot of goldfish.gif!!!! 
#16 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 05:23 PM

My house is relatively clean. I vacuum every day because one of my dogs sheds profusely. :LOL I always clean the kitchen after dinner and make all the beds/straighten the bedrooms in the morning. On weekends we do the big stuff--landscaping, pressure washing the siding/driveway/walkways, cleaning the garage, etc.
#17 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 PM

No, it's not clean. I am a terrible housekeeper, and I feel guilty about that.
#18 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My house is clean and other than this week (with dh off work) I do most of the work. I tend to do the "inside" stuff while he does the "outside" stuff (mowing lawn, taking trash out, cleaning up after dog).

Tips:

- Throw a load of laundry in the washer before breakfast and flip it to the dryer after
- Do each meal's dishes after that meal so they don't pile up
- Pick one room of the house a day to be the room that you spend the most time on. I try to rotate them through the week.
- I purposely invite people over when the house needs a big cleaning

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#19 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 11:24 PM

My home is clean in a comfortable way, not in a hospital way. We have a small stack of books on the coffee table, a pretty glass bowl that holds whatever knitting project Dd and I have going on. There is sometimes laundry that needs putting away on the dryer or table, and there is often unsorted mail sitting on the kitchen counter. This is just normal for us.

The garbage and recycling go out daily, the floors are swept daily, the dishes and kitchen counters are cleaned daily etc.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#20 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathui5

- Do each meal's dishes after that meal so they don't pile up
This is what we do as well. It is so helpful!

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#21 of 65 Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 PM

and will be so more tomorrrow. I am at my limit of what I can do today but I had to break down ( and dh said GO GET IT) and replace my beloved "Tim" ( hoover wind tunnel)

I used it just a tad and I can't wait for tomorrow to do a few more patches and parts of my bedroom..
#22 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 AM

Nope..its a complete diseaster! : But I'm working on it....

RayRay

Life Learning Momma to DS17, DS16,DS9jumpers.gifas well a dog, a cat, two birds...ttc babygirl.gif homeschool.gifnamaste.gif
#23 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:17 AM

In a word, NO. I despise cleaning and I'm really frustrated by the mess. I'm also just starting to realize how truly organizationally-challenged I am and I want to fix it so that I don't just have a cleaner and neater house for the moment, but also get out of what seems to be a cycle of mess. Bleah. That means I have to not only do it, but also think about it. uke What a pain in the arse.
#24 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:18 AM

Mine is clean, and reasonably tidy.

Fold laundry and put it away immediately after it's done. My favorite tip because it's so easy to let it pile up and get out of hand. I've found that when I don't do this, I buy/accumulate unneccesary stuff because I lose track of what I DO have...
#25 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:03 PM

At the moment, my house isn't tidy or clean. We just got back from a mini vacation, so we haven't unpacked or anything. That said, my house is usually pretty clean and tidy. It's not spotless, but most of the time I wouldn't be horrified if someone stopped by unannounced.

The upstairs is usually less clean than the downstairs. It's kind of my dumping ground for cleaning up. Right now the upstairs bathroom is a mess -- I wouldn't let company in there.

I actually do like cleaning. I love how the house feels when it's organized and orderly. I have a hard time getting going and functioning when there is clutter everywhere. At some point I might get some cleaning schedule going, but right now I just take care of the stuff that needs it, as I can. And, I try not to get too crazy about it either. Since having ds I had to lower my standards a little, but that's OK. As someone else said, I'd rather him remember the fun he had with mom than a clean house. On the otherhand, I don't want him to remember a total pigpen either.

With everything in life, it's about balance.
#26 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:13 PM

"Clean" is a subjective term.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#27 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM

Ack! My house WAS clean last week but then the kids and I left for the weekend and DH (who professes to be a neat freak) tore the place apart. So now I will spend the next few days picking a room or two and starting all over.

And for some reason, traveling seems to make MORE laundry. I swear, we wear less but come home with more dirty clothes (and dipes). Arrggh.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#28 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, it sounds like SAHM's still do most of the housework. I guess my idealistic women's studies classes serve no purpose in the real world... :LOL

I still think that dh should do an equal portion of the housework, but considering that I am messing the house up more just by being home all day, I feel more responsible for the clutter. I am usually clutter patrol and he does the actual cleaning - mopping, sweeping, scrubbing. However, he has been working ridiculous hours, so the house hasn't been as clean as usual.

That flylady is out of control! If I did all of that stuff I would go insane.

homebirthing organic mama to three crazy boys very blessed!!
#29 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my house is wreck. It brings me to tears how messy it is. It wil be clean this week though, top to bottom, every baseborrd and cobweb. My mom is comnig and I am solisiting babysitters and callingin favors to get it done. ruight now the kitchen is decent except the floor. I am taking a small break here and then the dining room which is mostly clean (15 minutes of good work) and living room (another 15 minutes.) but whose to say it won't be a stye tomarrow. If I so much as dream of cooking or sewing my hous ecompletely tanks. I hate it and hate that my children don't help clean. it takes so much work to have them pick up one thing (actualy only my ioldest is a problem but the other two won't work if she doesn't have to. )

anyway, I do everything. sh doesn't lift a finger for any house work. I often end up going in to clean his office to (which I like to do, very do-able). I do everything inside, outside and take the cars in when they need repair. add to that staying home, homeschooling, 3 children and we are committed to using our car as little as possible which means being very organized about biking and bus routes etc. . . . in my dhs defense thoguh he works 15-20 hours a day so other than laundry he doesn't realy contribute to teh mess. I am happy to have a house to clean and a lawn to mow nd to be able to be home and enjoy them.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#30 of 65 Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM

I do all of the housework, but I only have one kiddo running around for most of the day so it's not too overwelming. I'm sure if we had more I'd demand some help but for now, it's working. DH says his job is to take out the trash but usually when it comes right down to it, I have to remind remind remind before it gets taken to the curb. One thing he does do is the lawn.

My house is usually clean to the point where I wouldn't be embarassed if someone dropped by but it's not hospital clean. With a little tornado running around, it's hard to keep things tidy but I generally clean/pick up every room everyday (with the exception of my office which somehow gets completely trashed, I clean that about once a week and it's a JOB).

Full Time Student & Mommy to 3 princesses! 9/03, 2/07 & 2/07

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page