Your appointments? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 09-07-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you manage the children when you have a doctor or dentist or haircut appointment? My dh works from 8 to 6 (at least) M-F. So, basically he's at works while any doctors office is open. There are times when I can find my FIL or BIL available to watch the boys for me, but those occasions are rare as one works 2nd shift & the other 3rd shift. So, they're usually needing to sleep when I need them to watch them.

I do sometimes take them with me. Especially if it's just a check-up with my family doctor. My real problems are with dentist and gyno appts where it is basically impossible for me to watch them and have an exam at the same time. My boys are 3 1/2 and 15 months so they need constant supervision (to say the least)!

So, how do you arrange childcare for these types of situations?

#2 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 03:01 PM

I trade babysitting with the SAHM across the street. I watch her daughter and she watches my boys. DS #1 and her daughter get along beautifully which makes it a lot easier.

Loving Mom to DS (7) and DS (5).
#3 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

My mom helps out. And we schedule as much as possible when DH takes his vacation at home.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#4 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 06:13 PM

I rely on my MIL or my best friend. Check to see if there is a Mom's group in the area or some other way to network a group of moms to set up a child care swap!

treehugger.gif  Mama of three daughters chicken3.gif
#5 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 06:14 PM

My MIL watches them. She is always home and has no life.
#6 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 06:27 PM

We've never had a babysitter or family around. I had to shop around to find a dentist and a PCP who had evenings and weekend appts. My PCP has appts twice a week til 7 and my dentist has Sat appt. As for gyn appt, I saw a midwife, and nursed during the actual exam, to keep him happy. We are lucky and go my hairdresser's house for haircuts. I bring the stroller, strap him in, give him some cheerios, and put on baby mozart. It works for 15 minutes right now. One of the benefits of cutting hair in her living room. Not ideal, but at least I get my haircut with some regularity. Sometimes I bring DH when I can wait til then (weekends, of course.) Tomorrow actually it will just be the baby and I (he's 10 months). That reminds me, I have to put Baby Mozart in the diaper bag.
#7 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 06:31 PM

#8 of 20 Old 09-08-2005, 06:53 PM

Just had my gyn annual checkup. While my legs are in stirrups, my 11yo is crawling on his hands and knees through the room while the 3yo twins take turns riding him. My doc said, "I bet you could have 12 more and you wouldn't bat an eye, would you?" I took it as a compliment.

At my last dentist appointment the girls "worked on" my legs and arms with some plastic dental items while the dentist put my crown on.

The only thing I get a babysitter for is a haircut. She has let me bring them (she's my sil and a salon owner) but I can tell they make her nervous. The getting-a-babysitter thing is such a big deal that I only go twice a year to get color and a cut. I look horrible in between, but it isn't worth it to me.
#9 of 20 Old 09-09-2005, 06:24 AM

MIL or FIL

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#10 of 20 Old 09-09-2005, 09:57 AM

A couple of years ago some local (like within walking distance) mamas and I formed a babysitting co-op. We have an excel file that we use to keep track of hours, and we schedule regular playgroups. There are 8 families in the co-op and we have logged over 2000 hours of babysitting in the two years since we formed! Most of us are SAHMs, but not all. To the kids, they feel like they are just going over to so-and-so's house to play, but for me it's a lifesaver to be able to go to the dentist or salon alone.

If I *have* to take the kids for me, I try not to overdo it with doing too many errands at once, and I bring lots of snacks and distractions. At 3.5 and 5 the biggest thing I have to deal with is them fighting, which can be very disruptive, to say the least!
#11 of 20 Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
We move a lot for DH's job so I've gone for long periods of simply not having anyone I can leave my kids with. When my children were very young, I would schedule my dental check up, well woman exam, and eye appointment during a week that my mom could fly in to spend some time with us.

This was a big deal for my when my kids were little.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#12 of 20 Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Luckily, DH's job is fairly flexible. His day is 9-6 or thereabouts. Which means he is gone from about 8:30 until 7:00 each day. For haircuts, I schedule them on Saturday mornings, when DH is home. Gyno and dentist, I get him to come home a little early (at like 6 instead of 7) and go to a late doc appointment. What stinks is when there's an issue, like a cavity or some other thing that needs multiple appointments.
#13 of 20 Old 09-14-2005, 03:58 PM

I have my MIL or the great-grandparents watch my older two and take James with me.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#14 of 20 Old 09-14-2005, 05:21 PM

Fortunately, dh works in a very family-friendly office. They have a huge playroom for the kids, so dh can have them there anytime he wants!
#15 of 20 Old 09-15-2005, 09:47 AM

Here is a positive to bringing the kids to your appointments: I took my kids to several dentist appointments with me lately and decided to let my girls go ahead and get their first checkups. They sat in the chair for a thorough cleaning and checkup without saying a word. The dentist was so impressed that they never cried or were scared. I know it was from watching me get all my work done.
#16 of 20 Old 09-15-2005, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaDimstam
A couple of years ago some local (like within walking distance) mamas and I formed a babysitting co-op.
I also started a babysitting co-op about 3 years ago. We meet for a playgroup each week and schedule sits through a secretary, a position that rotates each month. I use the co-op for movies, trips to the garden store, for fun stuff, not just doctor's visit. I did a sit for a girl today, and since they're older, the two girls just went off to play for most of the 3 hours while I cleaned the kitchen, made phone calls, and then read a book. Babysitting co-ops rock!
#17 of 20 Old 09-16-2005, 11:17 AM

When ds was an infant, I always brought him to my appointments. When he was a young toddler, I still brought him, because he was usually content to sit on my lap or in the stroller during the exam.
Now that he's 3, I leave him with a baby sitter. There is a nice teenage girl in my neighorhood who watches ds for short periods. She is homeschooled so she is available during the day. Sometimes I leave him with my mom, but only for short appointments, she is not up to longer babysitting hours.
I have a medical condition, so I am at the doctors constantly. If I have to go to the city for my appt, dh takes the day off and the 3 of us go in, and dh manages ds while I have my appointment or scans.
I just started ds in preschool, so now I can plan my appts better.
#18 of 20 Old 09-16-2005, 02:46 PM

For appts. where I can't bring the kids, I have dh come home from work to watch them. He works close to home and can take off for a bit to watch them. This really only happens a couple times a year when I go to the dentist. I go to my midwife for gyno appts. and she has toys in her office and the people who work there are happy to take them out when she does the pap.
#19 of 20 Old 09-17-2005, 02:40 PM

We are lucky. Either I make appointments for Saturdays or evenings (both my hairdresser and dentist have these hours) or DH comes home and takes care of them while I go on my own. He has flexable hours and can take off for a few hours in the middle of the day. He usually ends up doing work from home while the kids play.

We also make appointments, like eye appointments, all together so we go as a family and hang out in the office for an hour or so.
#20 of 20 Old 09-21-2005, 04:38 AM

For doctor's appointments, I take the kids with me. Hair appointments ( not that they occur very often ) I schedule for the weekends when dh is home. Luckily our dentist has late hours once a week and is open Saturdays if we need him. I leave the kids at home for the dentist just because it is too hard to keep track of them while I am in the dentist chair. Plus I have a phobia about dentists and I don't want them seeing me all tense about being in that chair because I don't want to influence their perceptions of being at the dentist. I am slowly getting over that phobia because our dentist is great. ( and it doesn't hurt that he is really good-looking too! )

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page