SAHMs' do you make your SO lunch? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2005, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you make your SO lunch for thier day at work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2005, 10:48 AM

Um, that would be no. I don't make my 11yo's lunch either.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:04 AM

Sometimes.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:53 AM

Sometimes
Old 09-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Sometimes.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 09-17-2005, 11:59 AM

Good heavens, no.

grateful mother to DD, 1/04, and DS, 2/08

Always

Rarely. Although I should more often--when I was pregnant and working, before dc #1 was born, my dh made my breakfast and lunch every day. It was very sweet. (Plus, if I don't make it, he eats out, which gets $$.)

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 09-17-2005, 01:14 PM

i would, but he can eat cheaply at the cafeteria where he works. and it doesn't really cost anything extra because we budget an allowence for such things. if finances dictated i would make him something although i think he would prefer to do it himself, but he would have to do it before bed because he wouldn't get up early enough . ok, occasionally i hand him a microwave container of leftover dinner.
Old 09-17-2005, 01:20 PM

:

I'm not even UP when he leaves in the morning. He makes his own lunch- but he makes such "pretty" sandwiches that his coworkers are always sure I've made it.... like a guy can't make a sandwich....

-Angela
Old 09-17-2005, 01:23 PM

When dh worked overnights, I would make his 'lunch' b/c it was just putting our dinner into a tupperware container.

When he moved to days, he was leaving at 5am, so NO, I wouldn't get up early to make his lunch. Now he leaves around 7:30, I still don't make his lunch b/c I'm getting 3 kids ready to leave the house (to get dd and ds1 to school and school bus) but I'll help him get ice packs, etc., ready to go if he needs a hand. ETA: He has to ask really nicely and I have to be on time w/the kids for me to help.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
Old 09-17-2005, 01:28 PM

NEVER. Last I heard he had two hands and a functioning frontal lobe
Old 09-17-2005, 01:32 PM

Always.. it is out of but honestly, some mornings I resent getting up so early to do something he's very capable of doing.. :
Old 09-17-2005, 02:21 PM

Old 09-17-2005, 02:50 PM

Yes. DH comes home for lunch every day, and I make him the same lunch every day...two turkey burgers with cheese cooked on the George Foreman. Takes me five minutes to make.

He doesn't expect me to have dinner made for him (we eat totally different things), so I'm okay with making his lunch. If I didn't, he'd be eating fast food for about $7 a day. With the turkey burgers, I spend $5.49 a week.
Old 09-17-2005, 02:56 PM

Yes, almost every day...and I deliver it to him. Of course, that's more for my benefit than his. He is scheduled to work 55 hours a week, but generally ends up working about 65. Last week the only reason that I saw him for more than 10 minutes was because I took his lunch to him. I like being able to see him, even if just for a minute, in the middle of those long work days.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishygirlsmom
NEVER. Last I heard he had two hands and a functioning frontal lobe

that's pretty much how I feel. I am not up when he gets up at an obscene hour to get to work an hour early. don't ask me why he does this!
my grandma is HORRIFIED as well as his mom that I don't. well excuse me but he is a big boy now, and I simply do not have the time! in the evenings I am getting kids ready for bed. he does not do anythng to help kids get ready. never has. and I am ok with it so long as he comes in the room and hangs out while we read books. then it takes an hour longer to get my two fiesty girls to sleep.....i am bone tired! Most of the time I have not got the ebergy to go and make his lunch.
there have been a few times where I have made it after dinner while I clean the kitchen, and he complains because it is too soggy. :

my MIL and grandmother think that because I am A SAHM and he goes out into the owrk force, it is my DUTY to make him his lunch on top of everything else. i have to say it plays with my guilt alot. i wish i was the perfect wife who did everything for my husband. But then if I was...we wouldn't have anything worth while ot teach my dd's about the partnership of marriage.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:15 PM

Most days yes. He comes home for lunch, and if he has to make his own it basically means he ends up driving home, prepping lunch, eating, driving back. If I make it he has a few minutes to unwind, visit, and play with DD. Not that I usually make anything fancy. Left overs, sandwiches, soup on toast, and macaroni are all common lunches here. I try to cook extra for dinner most nights so we can just warm it up the next afternoon.

Yes, he can make his own. But frankly, it means a lot to him that I have lunch ready when he comes home, so generally I do. I feel very strongly that love is reflected more by actions than words, and for me this is just another way to show DH that I love & value him.

Holly
Old 09-17-2005, 03:17 PM

Nah. He cooks better than I do.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Never. Most days I don't even make him a breakfast. Bad wife!
Old 09-17-2005, 03:36 PM

Nopers. He either eats out at Subway, Tim Hortons or A&W or he buys stuff at the store on his way to work (like buns and cheese and cookies :LOL ). Occasionally he takes leftovers.

I make enough meals in this house, he is a big boy, he can take care of himself.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:37 PM

I do cook on weekends, but that is only becuase I love to cook and the weekends are when he is home to help with the kids.

IMO, this is NOT about love. Making lunch is a deed not an action of love. Showing respect, listening and responding to your husband goes much further than roast beef on bread ever will.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:38 PM

BTW, eat out lunches are a no go at this house. he either is responsible enough to make it the night before or in the morning or he does eat. We do not have the luxury of eating out for lunches.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:39 PM

That would be DOESNT eat.
Old 09-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Quote:
IMO, this is NOT about love. Making lunch is a deed not an action of love. Showing respect, listening and responding to your husband goes much further than roast beef on bread ever will.
Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree about that. I *know* it's important to him that I make lunch. I've listened to why, and because I respect his opinion, I respond by making lunch (most days :LOL ).

ANY "action of love" is just a deed when you get down to it. It's not what you're doing, but the manner and reason behind why you do it that makes it one or the other.

Holly
Old 09-17-2005, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Quote:
IMO, this is NOT about love. Making lunch is a deed not an action of love.
Different things work for different couples. For some couples, food and love are wrapped up together, and for some couples they aren't.

There isn't a right and a wrong way to do this -- there is just what works for your family.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 09-17-2005, 05:10 PM

yep, although i just started. DH is a manager at his work and he really can't leave, so if when i didn't make him lunch he'd eat at the bbq place next door, but he was getting tired of that. so i usually give him leftovers from the night before, or sandwich stuff. we upped our grocery budget to allow $ for this, but is way cheaper than eating out. healthier, too, because about the worst thing he gets is the nitrates in the deli meats, instead of fried food every day.

i always fix his lunch before i go to bed, because i don't usually get up with him either, even though he leaves at 8 it's not much trouble to me.

we also don't use a microwave, so he takes his stuff in a one quart and heats it up on a single burner he brought to his work. i think his coworkers think he's crazy.

carrie
Old 09-17-2005, 05:25 PM

I'm a work-from-home mom and my shift ends at 2am (call center) so before I go to bed I pack a lunch for him. He goes to work just two hours later at 4am...

I like to do it because then I know he's getting something healthy, the cafeteria food is gross and unsanitary IMO.

I also feel like its an action of love, when I peel and cut carrot sticks or pick out good breads and make a sandwich just so, I feel like it gives him an opportunity during his busy day to take a break, eat and think about me...

much like the way he changes the oil in my vehicle is an action of love from him...yeah, I'm capable of doing it, but that's his job...division of labor, like the ants do it!

-Prensa

6/9/2005 6/30/2007 10/17/2009 (Ebstein's Anomaly)
Old 09-17-2005, 05:53 PM

I always serve food to my family in love. It's not the only act I preform with love in my heart, of course. I honestly see the act of changing diapers as one of love, as well.

How does one define love? Is it just a feeling, or do 'acts' help us express our love? If my dh cleans the house before I do, I think of that as an act of love. If I wash or pick up his shirts from the cleaners because he is having a crazy week, that's an act of love. If he takes the kids out when he knows I need a chunk of time at home in peace, that's an act of love.

I knew this thread was going to be trouble from the miunte I read the header. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be about couples helping each out.

I just wasn't sure if it was going to be 'Why should women be slaves to men" or 'He's a grownup--he can make his own lunch". I almost didn't respond. But I am addicted to MDC...what can i say?
Old 09-17-2005, 05:54 PM

I make his lunch everyday, it's part of my morning routine. Put coffee on, make his lunch. I'm happy to do it.

User Tag List