What are some of your special moments with your kids? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
cjr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought we needed a warm hug thread. I was thinking about some of my favorite moments with the kids lately. Things that I would have otherwised missed if I was not a SAHM.

Right now my favorite was being able to rock with ds during nap time. In the past week he has cut 1 front tooth, 2 molars and another molar is breaking through today. He has needed lots of snuggles from mommy. I love that I can be here for him. I also love falling alseep on the couch with him so we both can have a nap.

DD was sick last week. Well, not really but she said she was. It was great that it really didn't matter if she was sick or not. She could stay home with me anyway, which was really the reason why her tummy hurt. Sometimes the girls just need a comfort day at home with mom.

What about your favorite SAHM moments?
#2 of 21 Old 09-29-2005, 12:54 PM

WoW there are so many! Lets see in the past week, i was able to see my oldest dd ride the bus all by her self to school with out tears (something we've struggled with for 3 weeks now). I've seen austin make his bed all by himself for the first time. And allison there is always something new, I've been able to see so so much... i've been albe to so her nurse time after time, i've been able to see her cut her first molar, i've been albe to nurse her to sleep for every nap, every night time, ect! I LOVE IT!
#3 of 21 Old 09-29-2005, 05:47 PM

Last week, dd fell and had to be rushed to the ER in an ambulance (it was HORRIBLE, but she's fine now). Anyway, I was able to spend the week doing what I needed to do, which was spend tons of time with her to reassure myself that she was ok. I was able to go in to preschool and just peek in on her, again to reassure myself she was alright. Dh, who was equally traumatized, had to go in to work the next day because of an important meeting. He told me he could barely focus. Two days later, ds's fish died (a fish he's had for 3 years), and he was devastated. I was able to be there when he wanted to snuggle after school -- something that my big 8 year old boy NEVER wants to do!
#4 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 04:38 AM

Everyday is a special moment with my ds. I became so excited when he started to learn abc, to count and even sing nursery rhymes. And now he is able to sing some parts of the song he hears from the radio.
#5 of 21 Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 PM

I love being able to see every side of her - from sweetness to silliness to sassiness & in between. I love that I can just stare at her for as long as I want & not worry about doing something else. I love doing something with her one day & seeing her recogniz it a day or two later & wantt o do it again - her big thing now is ring around the rosie - so cute. I love getting her excited when we see daddy is home - I love that she can depend on me 24/7.
I do get a bit sad that it is all going by so fast but still - it's amazing to see her grow & change day by day

Kate, BioMama to Emma Lu, Elliana - Almost Mama to Martin, & Foster Mama to Baby T
#6 of 21 Old 10-01-2005, 05:30 AM

I love love love snuggling up with 11 m.o. Dd and falling asleep with her nuzzled in my arms, heart to throbbing heart. Her soft little puffs of breath warm my cheek as a teeny hand reaches out in the dark and wraps itself around my finger. I can hear her l'il smack smack smacks as she drifts off to dreamland, sucking away on an imaginary boobie... *sigh* Ah, these moments... The epitome of intimacy. This is what it's all about. The little things truly do account for life's greatest pleasures. Suddenly, everything melts away... The world, the stresses of the day, bills, housework, chores... Nothing matters except for the little warm bundle of love curled up in your arms... I must sleep smiling, I love this nightly ritual so! I never want to take these special moments for granted. For, soon enough she'll be all, "Aw ma! no more hugs!" and "Outta my room!" I never want my little girl to grow up...
Embrace Love.
#7 of 21 Old 10-01-2005, 09:30 PM

I think the "moment" that is so special for me is ongoing. My DS has been really clingy and into "mama" the last few months. I feel that if I were still working FT, either he wouldn't be so clingy because he would be more into DH, or I just simply wouldn't be able to have this special close relationship with him because I wouldn't be there for the vast majority of his day.

Every day is so special and I treasure it so much. It's not always easy, but it is more meaningful than anything else I've ever done. I really feel that I'm part of something important and that I'm really making a difference in the life of my child.
#8 of 21 Old 10-01-2005, 09:44 PM

A few days ago my 2 year old decided she was going to hand me towel as I came out of the shower. "Towel?" she said as she held out the hand towel. What a nut!!
#9 of 21 Old 10-02-2005, 12:22 AM

I love the, "towel" story!! BTW..Did you tip her?

Using EC with my son. I know that sounds weird but I love his smiling face after he goes on the potty.
I love hearing my DD "talk" to and with her toys as she plays during the day.
I love helping her practice her dance steps that she learns at the Y
I love taking her to the Y...I see so many nannies there taking the kids. I am glad I get to watch her learn and not hear about her learing from someone else.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#10 of 21 Old 10-02-2005, 02:36 PM

I love being able to take my ds to a mom and babe group we have here...watching him interact with other babies is the cutest thing. Just this last week he figured out that he can grab other babies hands. I think that if I was working he would miss out on this stuff cuz he is an only child....(so far)

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#11 of 21 Old 10-02-2005, 09:23 PM

My special moments these days are that I can go and volunteer in both their classes and have lunch with them at school. I also get to go on ALL the field trips. Both my boys feel very special when their mommy comes to school: especially when I bring cupcakes!:

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#12 of 21 Old 10-02-2005, 11:33 PM

I love the fact that I was there for my dd's first giggle just this week.

I've been working with my 3 yo on his letters and he was skipping around our living room singing "Capital A! Capital A! Capital A! Capital A!" Later in the day, when my dh got home, he told him, "I learned that A says aa, like ant and apple! Mommy drew an alligator, but it didn't look like an alligator. Alligator starts with A!" I was so proud of him. I don't think I would have had that moment if I wasn't a SAHM.
#13 of 21 Old 10-03-2005, 02:51 PM

Every morning DD, DS and I snuggle together in bed. Sometimes we'll read a book or 2(or 3) and just snuggle. It makes getting out of bed hard though!

I love quiet moments just holding and nursing DS.

I love hanging out with DD and playing games. The girl cannot be beat at Candyland! I've tried! :LOL
#14 of 21 Old 10-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Reading with my DS. Listening to my DD and her new fake laugh. When DS serves me tea or cookies (aka water and coasters).

Jen, Mom to DS (8) , DD (5) & Alli
(1-04) (8-09)
#15 of 21 Old 10-12-2005, 05:24 PM

Just yesterday the boys spent about an hour digging in the craft closet making me heart shaped *things* very cute! : Now I just need a BIG base to display all of it!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#16 of 21 Old 10-12-2005, 06:37 PM

My favorite right now is having DD sit on my lap and just jabber away. She is obviously very intently telling me something. We just can't understand a thing she is saying. This is a huge thing to me because speech is such a big thing with kids with down syndrome. So her communication is a great step.

With DS it would have to be spending some time alone in the evening with him to read books and give him his nightly backrub to sleep.

Christi
DS1(12), DD(7)blessed with T21, DS2(2), and DD2 - newly arrived 1/28/11
#17 of 21 Old 10-14-2005, 12:11 AM

My favourite time of day is at 4:00. That's our "story and snack" time. We cuddle on the couch - I nurse the baby with one boy snuggled on each side. We eat our snack (a variety of raw veggies) and read a stack of books.

I started this as a survival technique to get us past the daily 4:00 meltdown. I also wanted to get the kids to eat more veggies. Now we all look forward to this time of day - and we all eat lots of veggies!
#18 of 21 Old 10-14-2005, 10:51 PM

We decided to wait to put ds into a montessori program until he was more...er, emotionally ready-so we started "school" at home and he loves it!
He asks if it is time to "go to school?" and loves to sit and work on different materials, "watch me mommy, watch me..." Then when he gets it, he throws his arms up and says, "Yes! I did it!" And his whole little face lights up.

I enjoy everything about being home with him, but this is my new favorite part of the day.
#19 of 21 Old 10-15-2005, 01:53 AM

*DS has a speech delay...he is a year behind*

DS says "eesu ee" and repeats it at different volumes. Very intently. Very determined.

He brings us to his room and thumps on the floor. Points to the closet (where the crawl space access is). Repeats "essu ee"

I ask questions "can you use a different word" and "can you show me" He points outside and says "essu tree".

DH is stumped.

I remember I was in the crawlspace looking for clothes for DD.

"Christmas tree?"

DS got the biggest smile and the biggest bright look in his eyes...."yeeaaaahhhh" and he clapped that we got it right.

he remembered the tree from last year (a fake tree) and wanted it up. He also remembers Halloween....and wants to be Spiderman again

Basically any conversation withe DS makes me cry...I remember the struggles with getting him to communicate.....

"Dinosaurs are big big big doggies are teeny teeny teeny" will make me cry
#20 of 21 Old 10-16-2005, 02:58 AM

The other day was really nice. I took a blanket outside and sat on it reading while dd ran and played. Dd would come and lay down with her head on my lap and we tried to find shapes in the clouds. We spent a long time just hanging out looking at bugs, clouds, trees on an ordinary day.

I don't know... there are a lot of special moments.
Staying in bed with dd when her tummy felt yucky this morning... reading another chapter of our current book... making pumpkin bars together... Dd helping me hang up laundry to dry... pretending to eat the play food dd brings me... answering dd's endless questions or trying to find the answers... listening to her stories...

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#21 of 21 Old 10-16-2005, 03:01 AM

1 - Riding a bike (with toddler in trailer) along side my 5.5 son, who is now riding without training wheels.

He is soooo happy and I am so happy seeing him, conversing....

2 - seeing the 2 of them hug each other good bye when we drop DS off to Kindergarten (we hang for 15 minutes to play first.)

10 - boy
5.5 - girl

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page