Wasting my education... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-06-2005, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudades
Aside from the ability to BF, I don't feel like females have a unique feminine power of nurturing.
That was my point - our ability to breastfeed is uniquly ours - its nurturing in a way that men cannot.

Not that I feel the ability of a stay at home dad to nuture is any less, just different - My Dh is very nurturing, but my ability to breastfeed my daughter is a way to nuture her that is unique to women. Also to me personally, its a spirtual thing, a beautiful bond that goes way beyond simple biology. In that sense I do believe women have a unique feminine power of nurturing.

However, that said if you read the book "Fresh Milk" you could spin off a whole thread on whether or not it really IS a unique ability of my sex to breastfeed. But I think that is a whole other subject!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyWild
Aside from the ability to BF, I don't feel like females have a unique feminine power of nurturing.
agreed. some men, some women, and some childcare providers have a unique power of nurturing.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy*

I am currently on hiatus from my PhD program, and I don't know if I will ever return. It's something I struggle with a lot in the abstract, but when it came down to it, there is simply no alternative *for me* to raising my own child. Academia is NOT friendly to mothers, and it's really unfortunate that most women go through graduate school when they are around child-bearing age. There is very little choice for women in these situations: do you want to be a mom, or do you want to be a competitive scholar? Sure, it would be NICE to be able to do both at the same time, but as the author herself points out, (". . . the corporate and social structures that might allow them to combine work and family smoothly are still not there.") our society still isn't set up to allow for that option in most cases.
Yes, the problem isn't women deciding to stay home it is
1) work structures that don't allow options for those who want them (including for single moms and for women who enjoy their woh career)
2) a society that values money more than family (this affects both the sahp, whose work isn't valued, and the wohp, who must put a career before family)
3) a society that denigrates the contributions of women (including wohms who get a lot of flack for being selfish and neglectfull and materialistic)

User Tag List