Is anyone interested in a babysitting co-op? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-04-2005, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love my babysitting co-op! It's such a lifesaver. We have a weekly playgroup where the kids play and snack and we talk and snack. If we need a sit, we drop our kid(s) off at a member's house and they play together without even knowing it's a "sit." They think it's just a playdate and don't care about what mom and dad are doing at that point because they are with kids and moms they know well.

I started our group nearly 3 years ago. I used the Smart Mom's Baby-Sitting Co-Op Handbook: How We Solved the Baby-Sitter Puzzle by Gary Meyers as a guide. Right now one of the co-op kids is here playing with my daughter for 3 hours while I clean, do laundry, play on the computer. PHew! It gives me a break to do a sit for another 4 year old. Not only that, but my Dh and I have a date set for this weekend and our daughter will be at a playdate while we do it.

I feel like this could help other SAHMs, but no one ever seems interested.
#2 of 6 Old 10-04-2005, 09:58 PM

we have this in our moms for moms group at a church. I haven't taken advantage of the coop yet, i am torn between my moms 4 moms group (that tends to be very "mainstreamish" ) and my LLL meeting (that I adore going to) they both meet once a month and the same morning time... I really with i had thoes coop #'s now when i'm so despretly looking for a sitter from abby and allie for thursday morning for a policy council meeting for dd's school... oh my must i break down and call my SIL.... oh prolly!
#3 of 6 Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 PM

I think that sounds like a great idea. I don't realy have anyone to do it with though b/c I only and hang out with one other mom. She has watched DD for me for a Dr. visit and I have watched her's too but it was just like a little favo thing not so much a co op.

The first rule of homeschooling: water the plants! :
#4 of 6 Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

I found the first 2 members (besides myself) at LLL. One of them knew a woman from a baby class she took, so that made 4 of us. Right away I met someone from my daughter's toddler class (these classes are parent/child classes taught through the community college. We've always functioned well with 5, but I know larger and smaller co-ops that do well, too.
#5 of 6 Old 10-07-2005, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Starting one has been on my to-do list for a year. Does anyone know of a free online help guide on the subject?
#6 of 6 Old 10-07-2005, 06:27 PM

I was never interested before because I always had family around who could babysit my kids. Now I really need someone to watch my 10 month old while I work in ds's K class once a week or so and I don't have anyone. I have been talking to some other moms at his school though, who also have little ones who need sitters while they work at the school too. So we might get some sort of an exchange going.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page