Yes 32 28.07%
No 82 71.93%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some SAHM I know consider Mothering to be their primary job. Everything else is secondary. many of them are uncomfortable with the term homemaker. For others, making a comfortable home for their families is what they consider to be their job. Caring for their children is a large part of that but not the sum total.

So how do you feel about the word homemaker?

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:18 AM

I voted no. lol I don't make homes...home builders make homes.

I'm a Domestic Goddess.
PE
#3 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:25 AM

No, I call myself a stay at home mom or a homeschooling mom. I'm a mom first. The home comes second.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#4 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:29 AM

i hate the term... i'm not even sure what it means...

i am home to take care of my daughter. my husband does the cleaning and i cook but only because i love it.

i do laundry because my clothes smell if i don't

i am ONLY home to raise my children.... the house could fall around me and i wouldn't care.
#5 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:36 AM

This is so funny--my dh and I just talked about this a few nights ago...he started to make reference to housewives or something and I stopped him and glared, and said that, for some reason, I really take exception to the term. And he said, "Well, how would you describe yourself?" And I said, "I'm a mom!" He said, "So, not a housewife?" He seem really confused by the distinction, so I just said, "Um...have you seen the house??" And that just cracked him up, because if anyone saw our house, they would never mistake me for a housewife...
#6 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 05:08 AM
Banned

I am SAHM or on some applications to be smart, I write "mommy" for my occupation
#7 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 06:25 AM

I don't really use homemaker or housewife. I think if someone told me they were a homemaker or a housewife I would assume they were home without having kids. I would expect them to have a really clean house too.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#8 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 10:58 AM

Nope instead I like the "Domestic Goddes" or "Light and LIfe of the family"
#9 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 11:21 AM

Nope, I'm a SAHM or mommy.

When i tell people they look confused and say what do you do all day?? I just laugh and say raise my children......what do you do all day?
#10 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i don't call myself a homemaker and i really don't like "stay at home mom" either 'cause i don't stay at home all day! we go places and do things. not sure what label i do like, thouhg.

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#11 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 11:38 AM

Yes, I would describe myself as a homemaker. I primarily describe my occupation as "mother", but I am comfortable with homemaker as well. Keep in mind, some homemakers may not be mothers.....

Making a home is purposeful, honest, and valuable work, imo. Something to be proud of!

That said, I am not the best housekeeper, lol. I don't really sweat it, tho. Spending time with my family and getting the rest I need is much more important than a perfectly clean home.

As clarification, I detest the term "housewife", and would NEVER use that term to describe myself. While I do work to make our house a home, I am not married to the house
#12 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 01:40 PM

Nope, I refer to myself as a SAHM also.
#13 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 01:49 PM

I don't like the connotations of "homemaker." Plus, I don't make homes.
#14 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:09 PM

No, I don't. Not because I don't like the word... I guess it just seems old fashioned and not something I hear much anymore, so I never picked it up. But I'm sort of ambivalent... I often stumble over my words when people ask me what I do. I usually say something stupid like, "I'm home with the kids for now." I dunno... I guess I'm adverse to any label.
#15 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 02:12 PM

Yeah, I guess I just don't want this period of my life to define me. Just like I wouldnt want my career choice to really define me. Oh, I'm a Political Scientist. Really, I'm all kinds of things. I stumble around for words, too, because it really depends on the person asking, and why they're asking, what the answer is.
#16 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 03:03 PM

No. When I hear the word homemaker, I think of the 1950's housewife...The one who vacuumed in heels and a flaired dress, the one who was able to whip up a dinner for the hubby's boss on a moment's notice, the one who kept an absloutely immaculate home and who sent her kids off on their bikes all day every day so that she could accomplish all of her domestic tasks. I'm a mom. If pressed I'm a stay home mom-though we rarely "stay home" lol. My house is sometimes a disaster. Sometimes I don't know what to make for dinner so I *gasp* make Hamburger Helper. I spend all day, every day, with my child and together we learn and grow. My home is secondary to spending good time with my kid. Just my thought on the subject.

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#17 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 05:12 PM

I'm ok with "homemaker" because that's how my mom described herself and she was never one of the typical 50s (or 70s in her case) June Cleavers. I totally agree with the folks above who say that making a home is so much more than any house cleaning I might do. There's a difference to me between the "house" and the "home".

That said, I have a good friend who doesn't work outside the home and has no kids. When asked, she and her hubby both tell people that she's a "pampered housewife". Her hubby is proud of the fact that his wife can do whatever she wants with her day and never expects the house to be cleaned when he gets home. He loves it when she decides to spend her day at the library or playing with the dogs.
#18 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 05:16 PM

I voted yes. I am the Keeper of the Home. I make the home into what it is....a places where we all feel nurtured and at peace

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#19 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 05:29 PM

I'm with mamameg. . . .adverse to labels I guess.

like others have posted, I feel that the term homemaker is an old-fashioned one that conjures (sp?) up visions of mom in the kitchen in a pretty blouse, heels and apron. that ain't me.

If asked, which seems very rare, I tell people that I stay home with my kids. other than the necessities of family life in a house, I do very little "homemaking."

about home builders "making" homes!!

namaste.gif

#20 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 06:46 PM

No - don't use the term here, either.

I was just talking with dh about this last night. My Kindergartner had a family project where everyone in the family drew a picture of their 'jobs' and pictures of the tools that help them do these jobs. The collection of the all the students' and their family's drawings came home with ds last night for us to look through. There are 9 students and all the moms stay at home. I was the *only* mother that did not put cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc in the drawing of her job. I put my children, toys, laughing, feelings, etc as my job and tools. *None* of the other mothers put drawings of playing with their children as their 'job' (while I don't see playing with dc as I job I have to do ~ I do see raising my children as my primary responsibility, not laundry, cleaning and mopping). I was a little surprised by some women feeling like detergent, Lysol and the washing machine as their current 'calling'.

While I do try to keep things organized and clean ~ I don't think that's what makes our house a home. I feel all of us laughing and playing on the floor is what makes it a home. *That's* how I'm a 'homemaker'.
#21 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 09:39 PM

Hmm - I answered no, but am not sure. I do make our living environment a home, but that title feels pretty limiting to me...

It reminds me of when I visited El Salvador, my visa gave me the option of being a Nurse a Teacher, or a Housewife. I wrote down "Writer" and the guy scratched it out and put "housewife". I wanted a better title
#22 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 09:53 PM

I voted "no" because Homemaker to me makes me think of a wonderful clean house with homemade bread baking in the oven and being able to do neat crafts and sewing all the kids' clothes while the kids take naps. My mom was a homemaker and loved it. And she was great at it!

But I would be a failure if I were a homemaker. My house is a mess. I hate to bake. (I do like to cook though.) And though I love to do neat things around the house to make it more livable and homey, I rarely actually find the time to do any of this or at least to finish what I start because I am so busy with DD. And if I take the time to put a button back on a pair of pants, then I'm doing good.

I don't like the term "housewife" though. Makes me think of June Cleaver et al. And it eminds me of "housefly" ...... though that could be from when I attempted to use FlyLady's website to help me organize my house.

I am with those who don't like to be tied to labels. I find them stifling. I feel like I am so many different things that my title wouldn't fit on a placard.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#23 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 PM

I do consider myself to be a homemaker. I stayed home for nearly 3 years before my Dd was born, so maybe that's why I think of myself that way. I usually call myself a SAHM, but I also see my role as making the home nice for my family.

Nevertheless, my Dh does a tremendous amount of work when he is home and spends a lot of time with our Dd.
#24 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 10:37 PM

I am so NOT a homemaker. I would hate it if I had to be a homemaker, as I despise housework in all its forms. I do as little of it as I can get away with.

No, my primary job is to be DD's mom. It's DH and I together that are the "homemakers."

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#25 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 11:13 PM

I hate that term. I refer to myself as a full-time mom. I know that WOHMs might resent that term, but that's how I see myself. From 6a to 8p I am first and foremost a mom, second a house and family manager, and third a wife.
#26 of 50 Old 11-04-2005, 11:15 PM

Ever since I first moved out on my own, I've been keeping up my home--only since my DS's birth 11 months ago have I become a SAHM, so I voted "no" to calling myself a homemaker. Plus it reminds me of "housekeeper."
#27 of 50 Old 11-06-2005, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure. I voted yes. Unless I ask dh to do something, I'm pretty much the one that does all the housework. Plus, I aspire to be a good homemaker. I want the house with the happy gang of kids playing out back, every room clean and cookies baking in the oven. It's my secret dream.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#28 of 50 Old 11-06-2005, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I just feel like the term is a little outdated or cheesy-sounding. It's a little better than "housewife" but still not really descriptive of anything IMO. I don't make the home.

If someone asks, I say I'm a SAHM. Sometimes, when filling out forms, the person looking over the form has changed my answer to homemaker. It seems to be the generic term for someone who stays with the kids. It doesn't really bother me.

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#29 of 50 Old 11-06-2005, 04:04 PM

Whenever I have to fill out a form - including a customs form when entering a foreign country - I put "mom" in the field for occupation. I am most definately a mom before a homemaker!

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#30 of 50 Old 11-06-2005, 06:13 PM
Banned

Yeah, I don't refer to myself as a homemaker..like some of the pp's, I think it sounds cheesy and outdated, but it doesn't wildly offend me or anything...

Anyway, I have always hated the "what do you do??" question... for some reason it annoys me, like all people really want to know is how you make your money -- because if they wanted to know what I "do"... the list is endless... I bake, I paint, I play guitar, I sing, I write, I draw, I take pictures, ... etc.. and so on...

On forms and stuff I just put SAHM or similar... if I am feeling wild I put "self employed"...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page