sahm and stuck inside - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im a stay at home mom to a 16 month old and a 6 week old, the weather is freezing and snowy in our area, and i have no vehicle, my 16 month old barely gets out of the house except for some shopping trips and maybe once every 2 weeks we go to a play centre. is this awful what i am doing, is it damaging my daughter??
#2 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 01:24 AM

no it's not damaging. I'd be more worried about the damage it's doing to you. I know how needed it is to get out of the house with the kids. If you're still feeling like you need to worry about the time with your dd, my sure fire cure for those feelings is "enrichment" i.e. painting, play doh, cooking with mom, extras that you wouldn't do on a regular basis to break up the day and make it fun.

Be sure to take care of yourself mama, those long days home can burn you out too.
#3 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 02:24 PM

Totally agree. I had to stay at home for the first calendar year with ds1 b/c he was a preemie and it was hard work being home all day every day. Make a plan for yourself every day and find an enriching activity or two every day to do with your 16 month old. I think that's the best way.

But I don't think it's bad for your 16 month old--I think it's probably wonderful for her to spend all that time with mom, especially with the 6 week old sleeping so much.

Jen, former attorney and now SAHM to 11 yo ds and 8 yo ds

#4 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 04:41 PM

Oh God NO!!! Read some books snuggled on the couch and give her some great attention while your second child sleeps. How wonderful to have time where you CAN'T go out!! Enjoy this bit of solitude.

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#5 of 6 Old 12-16-2005, 10:39 PM

I don't think so, at this age children don't really play together anyway as much as beside each other. Once they get around 2-3 years old they start enjoying playgroups and playing with other kids more.

If you're happy then I don't think its damaging to you either. But if you feel depressed, lonely or stressed out then maybe you should find out if there's a local bus route in your area or some way that you can get out of the house and do something. I get tired of being cooped up in the house all day. I'm not a very social person but I get out at least once or twice a week, even if it's to go to the library or window shop for things I can't afford :
#6 of 6 Old 12-26-2005, 07:45 AM

No, you're not damaging your 16month old at all! Think of the olden days. In my area the houses are older--- and they all have one car garages. It was very common for dad to work and mom to stay home-- they couldn't afford a second car.
Your 16month old is thrilled to be w/ you. Maybe you could go to the tribal area and meet some other like minded moms (or contact lll) that would come over to your house?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page