Which of the following would make your life as a SAHM easier? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: You can have 2 hours of free services a week from one of the following:
Housekeeper 128 65.31%
Cook 16 8.16%
Errand-Runner 9 4.59%
Babysitter/Mother's Helper 36 18.37%
Therapist 7 3.57%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'd have to choose housekeeper. The babysitter would be tempting, not so I could leave but so I could take a relaxing bath and not worry that dd is going to wake from her nap the second I get in!
#2 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 11:53 AM

I would also go for the housekeeping. I hate and despise housework, as I've said a million times before. The others would all come in handy occasionally, but it's a housekeeping that would make me a happy woman.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
#3 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 11:54 AM

My 2.5 year old really doesn't like running errands....so I would probably pick that one. I have actually thought about paying a teenager to run some errands that he really hates (waiting while the car gets serviced)

BJ
Barney & Ben
#4 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 12:08 PM

I chose a babysitter; and I most likely would leave the house I'd love to go for a walk by myself, or go to the library and actually be able to look at some books outside of the childrens section, or go and get a cup of coffee and read the newspaper--that would be heaven!! And much better than therapy IMO!

My DH does half of the housework; if not more, so that's really not an issue for me, and while I'm not the greatest cook, I don't mind doing it.

Mama to three wonderful boys and a fabulous baby girl.
My heartfelt thanks to all those that have donated milk to others; you are amazing
#5 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 12:09 PM

A housekeeper might be a good preventative measure against needing the therapist

Seriously though--having someone come in and do the 'deep' cleaning once a week would be divine.
I get so worn out doing the surface cleaning a billion times a day, that I never have to stomach to do the serious work.
Especially when I know the house is going to be trashed again in 30 minutes.

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#6 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 12:17 PM

Abslutely hands down a housekeeper. I love a clean house but cant see devoting time to cleaning when theres so much fun to be had.
It sucks sometimes because we'll wanna do an elaborate craft or cooking activity and have to clean up first- as in the table countertops etc. Its not that m house is dirty or trashed but there is *stuff* everywhere it seems. You can hardly walk through most days without having to climb over or under a MASSIVE fort or maneuver your way through tracks and roadways made of pillows and handtowels, blankets cloth napkins .
cool poll. definitely a housekeeper. I'd love someone to clean up after us all -

natural birthin', baby catchin', cloth addicted, intactalactavist mama of 12/00, 6/03, 10/07, 8/10 & our angelcubs three
#7 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Wow. That's a very tough choice. I opted for mother's helper over housekeeper for two reasons:

I like to be able to find what I need, and anytime someone has come over and helped to clean and tidy, it's taken me as long to find what I'm looking for as it would have to have cleaned it myself in the first place. Too frustrating.

And my daughter is a real people person. When someone does come over to help out, she invariably wants to play with the new face rather than play with mama, who she sees all the time. So it's been much easier for me to do the tidying and cleaning in the same room as dd and her "playmate" so I can still enjoy what she's doing but have my hands free to work on other things at the same time.
#8 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM

I selected housekeeper.
But I do have some really great fantasies going about fluff and fold!

Joline
#9 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal
I get so worn out doing the surface cleaning a billion times a day, that I never have to stomach to do the serious work.
Especially when I know the house is going to be trashed again in 30 minutes.
ITA. I don't mind cleaning the kitchen or bathroom...it actually gives me a big feeling of accomplishment when I am done. But picking up toys that just end up all over the floor again is so frustrating. It always looks like crap around here...not dirty, just cluttered.
#10 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I chose housekeeper.. but I think what I would really like is just a professional diaper changer. Both my girls just HATE laying still for a diaper change and it's just such a pain right now! No amount of trying to occupy them with toys, books, silly faces, bribes, etc will keep them laying still long enough to change them! Blah, I hate changing diapers! So yea, are there people out there who sit around waiting to change my childrens' diapers?

Married, college student, part time work from home mom to DS (12), DD1 (10) and DD2 (9) and a giant dopey newfoundland, a crazy border collie mix, 3 black cats and two rats.
#11 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 03:57 PM

I chose babysitter. That way, I could cook, clean, run errands, or ... just stare into space and do nothing.

Namaste!
#12 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 04:02 PM

Cook. I don't enjoy cooking at all, and it shows. I would rather clean the hous any day.

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#13 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I absolutely hate cooking but I still chose housekeeper. A good deep cleaning of the kitchen & bathrooms plus mopping the floors would be a lifesaver!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#14 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 04:25 PM

Housekeeper...and I think the poll said "two" of these? If so, I'd also choose a cook.

I don't mind cleaning house - don't like it, don't hate it - but it takes so much time, just to keep on top of the worst of it. I'd like to be able to spend that time with my kids. I like cooking quite well, but sometimes I'm not in the mood, and again...it takes away from family time too much.

Of course, with a housekeeper and a cook, I'd feel too much as though dh was working 50 hours a week, solely so I could have fun. I'd probably get a bad case of the guilts...especially as I know he'd love to be home with the kids, too.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#15 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 06:31 PM

I said housekeeper too. Ds loves running errands with me, so I don't need that. Ds goes to preschool 2 days a week for a few hours so I don't need a babysitter. But I use ds's preschool time as "me" time, meaning I don't clean, lol. I usually go to the gym, take a long shower, do errands, enjoy a solitary cup of coffee. So I do housework when ds is home, so I can't get alot done at once. Except at night when he's in bed, then I'm too tired.
So I voted for housekeeper!
#16 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 06:36 PM

I chose babysitter/mother's helper, but I think I have an unfair vote because we actually do have a cleaning company come in every 2 weeks. not free but still.

I would love an hour to myself once a week just to do whatever. DH does try to give me "me" time but that is usually things like cooking without dd... grocery shopping alone... doing laundry alone. lol. I would like to be able to read a book or take a hot bath or wander around drinking coffee doing nothing at all!

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#17 of 44 Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 PM

I went with the errand runner....ds and I enjoy cleaning & cooking together, and I don't like the idea of someone babysitting my ds unless I have an appt I cannot bring him to or if I were working... before I know it he'll be getting older & I won't have all of this time with him. Gotta smother him while I can!!
#18 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 10:22 AM

I would take the baby sitter. I would love to be able to just go somewhere by myself for a couple hours. My MIL will occasionally, but she makes such a big deal out of it, plus it takes me days to get enough milk just for one bottle from pumping that it's really not worth it to me.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#19 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla
I would take the baby sitter. I would love to be able to just go somewhere by myself for a couple hours. My MIL will occasionally, but she makes such a big deal out of it, plus it takes me days to get enough milk just for one bottle from pumping that it's really not worth it to me.
I hear ya - my DD never took a bottle of EBM at all, she would just scream! I think I only was apart from her once in her first six months.

now that she is older and on solids, I feel much better about leaving her for an hour or two. Especially with my friends who have kids b/c then she just plays the whole time.

I still rarely ever leave her though.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#20 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 11:26 AM

I chose housekeeper. I'd love to have someone fold and put away our laundry. I just hate that.

It would also be nice to have an errand running companion - someone to keep DD entertained in the backseat would be awesome.
#21 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 11:47 AM

Oh, this was a tough one! I really don't mind any of those things up there (and I don't need a therapist ), so I chose errand runner simply because my little guy isn't too great in a store lately.
#22 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 02:16 PM

I would totally love a housekeeper. I hate cleaning!!! My next choice would be a babysitter. It would be nice to be able to run errands without 3 young children. Even if it were only two hrs a week, I could plan everywhere I needed to go and get it done.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#23 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlops
I'd have to choose housekeeper. The babysitter would be tempting, not so I could leave but so I could take a relaxing bath and not worry that dd is going to wake from her nap the second I get in!
Yeah DD has me on a sensor too. As soon as I try to do something for myself there she goes. I also chose housekeeper, I would rather not have to attack dust bunnies all the time.
#24 of 44 Old 12-22-2005, 11:32 PM

Cleaning for sure!!!
#25 of 44 Old 12-23-2005, 04:51 AM

I would chose the cook. Although a housekeeper to do the bathrooms would also be nice lol. No point in doing the living room, 2 hours after that it would look nearly the same! But I don't like cooking and as a SAHM I don't really have any excuse for not cooking as often as I should except I'm tired and plain don't like it! I'de get her to make a few large batches of family friendly freezer food.
#26 of 44 Old 12-23-2005, 05:47 AM

I chose the mother's helper/babysitter. I definitely need a housekeeper, but I also need time for me. If I get a break, then I can deal with some of the house work (as long as it's on the right part of my cycle ).

When I do get a break IRL, I never know if I should take a shower, go for a walk, go have coffee, take a nap, do some art work, or even just eat out by myself (or with a friend if I can find one that's not busy or with her kids). I really like being able to eat a nice meal without having to keep a toddler from jumping, spilling, crawling, etc. And though I love that we're still breastfeeding, it would be nice to have a space where I wasn't always "on tap."

If I had a regular, weekly 2-hour slot, I could do each of things things in turn. That would be great! So, where do we sign up?

Oh. Darn. I was afraid this was hypothetical. (pout)

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#27 of 44 Old 12-23-2005, 06:01 AM

Housekeeper

knit.gifMom of Many  jumpers.gif

#28 of 44 Old 12-23-2005, 05:00 PM

I picked housekeeper. I don't mind cleaning THAT much, but I honestly am just not good at it - or something.

Some of your replies have made me soo grateful to have my dd12. She is a great backseat entertainer during errands, watches the babe so I can get stuff done around the house, etc. I will have to make sure to tell her how grateful I am for her when she gets home!!

Too bad she's in school from 7:20 until almost 4 every day!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#29 of 44 Old 12-23-2005, 05:20 PM

I chose cook, though housekeeper was a close second. I don't mind cooking and sometimes even enjoy it when I'm in the mood. However, being responsible for three healthy meals a day along with menu-planning and grocery-budgeting is really overwhelming to me most of the time. If I could have that job off my back, I would feel so much less stress!
#30 of 44 Old 12-23-2005, 05:46 PM

Cook - I just don't like cooking so we always have the same meals. And planning them and all that... Do cooks clean up the kitchen afterward, too?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page