SAHM - older kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-21-2005, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hi, i was wondering how many of you SAH witholder kids? My mom did for most of my life and i LOVED it when she did. I hated when she had to work out of the home for a few years. But, i would love to know how it is for any of you with older kids. Or feel free to share your experience with your parents
Thanks
#2 of 10 Old 12-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom always stayed home with us, has never had a job outside of answering the phone for their home based business thes past few years.

I can't say if I liked it or not, as my mom was a different kind of mom (no point in going into it here).

I stay home and have older kids, but I have a little one at home again right now too. I worked outside of the home for a few years after the kids were in school too.

I can say that I loved working, but I hated running around ALL THE TIME, finding childcare (so hard to find it for a child over 6 years old around here), trying to juggle things when one was sick, lack of sleep. It was MUCH harder being a working parent than a SAHM one, IMO.
#3 of 10 Old 12-23-2005, 12:06 AM
lab

ME!

I have to say, I don't hear from a lot of folks in my situation at MDC. Well, we're probably here, just posting in forums other than Parenting, etc. (probably because we already have it all figured out!!! AHAHAHHAHHHAAAAA )

I stay home with a ds8, dd10 and ds11. They are in second, fourth and sixth grade so I'm home most of the day when they are at school. I am crazy busy, all the time. I love it.

My kids love it. I can't imagine having to work outside of the home and juggle activities, homework and supper.

I tried to get a job, but I didn't have time for it

Trying to do the right thing with three kids and a hubby. 
ds20, dd18, ds17
#4 of 10 Old 12-23-2005, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you both. I just wondered how it was. My dh didnt like his mom being at home when he was older becasue then he coudnt get into trouble (his EXACT WORDS! LOL!). I liked being able to chat with her over a snack and also since she didnt have to work she got to come and meet me for lunch once a week. I LOVED this even in high school! I was really sad when she did have to WOH.
#5 of 10 Old 12-23-2005, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am a SAHM with older kids. It's pretty cool.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
#6 of 10 Old 12-26-2005, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa
I am a SAHM with older kids. It's pretty cool.
Same here. Yes, it's very cool! My kids are 14 and 8, and they don't go to school so we're all home (or not!) together. We've gone through times where finances have been very tight. Dh and I have explained to the kids that if I worked we'd have more money to buy/do things. I've never wanted to leave them to go to work, but we've always sought their input because we don't want them to grow up thinking they've missed out on anything. They always say that they want me to be the one to look after them, and they don't care about the extra stuff they could do/have if I worked.
#7 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom
Same here. Yes, it's very cool! My kids are 14 and 8, and they don't go to school so we're all home (or not!) together. We've gone through times where finances have been very tight. Dh and I have explained to the kids that if I worked we'd have more money to buy/do things. I've never wanted to leave them to go to work, but we've always sought their input because we don't want them to grow up thinking they've missed out on anything. They always say that they want me to be the one to look after them, and they don't care about the extra stuff they could do/have if I worked.
awww, that is sweet. I loved having mom at home and i didnt even realize we were poor until years later when we had more
#8 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 01:52 AM

I am a stay at home mom with older children, my dd's are almost 29,she is married with four of her own, 16yrs.old and 11yrs.old. I have to admit I did work out of the home for short periods to make my mother happy(she always worked out side the home,as long as I can remember),and my home fell apart. My youngest told me the other day she didn't like me working,cause she had to attend public school and I wasn't there when she arrived home(yes guilt trip,but true).
I also tell people I didn't have children for someone else to raise them,but if I had to,like if I was divorced or widowed then I would go to work. In fact I am attending college so that if something happens I would be able to support my family.
I have always wanted to be a wife/mother and teacher so I have the best job any woman could have
#9 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 02:08 AM

Count me in, I'm a SAHM with older kids
#10 of 10 Old 12-27-2005, 06:46 PM

Just want to tell everyone how great it is to read encouraging posts like these! I stay home with my 2-year-old and plan to homeschool him (and any future children.) I'm looking forward to staying home while our children are growing up. It's so nice to hear from other mamas who are parenting the way I plan to.

thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page