How to make productive use of my time...while sahm 'career wise' - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 12-22-2005, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay I am home I like being home but I have the nagging fear that if for whatever reason I had to go back, or wanted to when the kids are older...I will be unemployable....

so I'd like to feel 'employable' not out of the loop without being employed.

So my questions are what can I do?
I was thinking of starting my mba through distance education.
or doing some professional courses for my field.
Or joining some type of 'club'

any thoughts?

8 might be enough
#2 of 12 Old 12-22-2005, 03:33 AM

What field are you in? I'm a student, but I'm going to be a SAHM and taking a break from school for awhile with the new baby. Since I am a dietetics student and my future goal is to become a lactation consultant, I'm thinking of possibly looking into becoming a LLL leader during the time I'm at home. So that's how I'm working toward my career goals while SAH. Online classes are a great thing as well.
#3 of 12 Old 12-23-2005, 11:42 AM

I'm not sure what you do professionally but is it possible you can volunteer at an organization in your field. I am currently a SAHM and I am voluntering my consulting services to the birth center I used, I will be helping them with grants and board work. Aside from a couple of meetings where I can bring my baby if need be, the work can be done in my down time at home. I figure its a great way to keep my experience fresh. Maybe you can do something like that.

HTH

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
#4 of 12 Old 12-24-2005, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started my own wahm business- but I don't advertise, and only get clients from word of mouth, and I don't always take jobs. You could start a wahm non-profit in your field, or just do some freelance. My academic backround is literature and women's studies, but my business is floral design. My children can participate in it and learn (colors, counting, etc.) and even though it's not my original field, I figure staying active will count for something.
#5 of 12 Old 12-25-2005, 01:51 AM

www.mothersandmore.org has a lot of great info I think on that. My local chapter has helped me both with being a mom and being a sequensing woman...though I am begining to feel less and less like I need to worry about "going back."
#6 of 12 Old 12-28-2005, 04:21 AM

yes, do your masters through distance ed.

I am a sahm, we homeschool and intend to continue through high school. My youngest is 4. I am getting my associates degree now. I am taking as much online as I can. Then I will go to school fo rmy bachelors. and do my masters online.
am going fo rorganizational development. I am going to join Toastmasters. I think it is a great way to stay connected. My friend does it and has been making amazing contacts through it. You only have to do one hour a week. I am also going to join a storytelling guild. These kind of things sound good on a resume, keep your head at least prtly in the grown up world, and give you contacts.
#7 of 12 Old 12-31-2005, 02:15 PM

Alison, thanks for starting this thread.

I really go back and forth on SAH or not, but for now my dh and I have decided (for us) that ds is too young for full time care if we don't "have to". I am a web developer/programmer so I fear being out of the loop for very long - technology changes quickly, as everyone knows, and I've been out for 5 months so far. So, here is the plan I have for now.

I am going to put ds in some kind of care 3 mornings/week starting in Jan. I'm thinking like 6-9 hrs per week. I'd like a home day care or even better a mama who just wants some extra cash and has a kiddo around ds's age (the fewer kids, the better, IMO). I am signing up for a couple of online classes related to my profession, and will use that time to work on them. The topics are things I feel like I needed more education in while working, but could never take the time out to get it. I am also keeping my ear to the ground for contract development opportunities. I have one on deck so far. I am willing to put ds in care 2 or 3 full days if I get more work. It is the full time thing I am not ready/willing to do yet. I am also going to take a class one night a week during which ds will stay with my dh and dd12.

If you are open to professional development classes instead of classes for ungrad or grad credit, they are quite cheap (mine are around $100 - through the community college) and are often with real experts in the field. Also, they are usually very up to date as I don't think the level of review is required for these classes that is for classes that earn credits. I am going this route because for what I need, the price is right and the topics are spot on to what I'm looking for.

Anyone else trying to keep their foot in the door while SAH?

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#8 of 12 Old 12-31-2005, 03:04 PM

I absolutely have this fear. I am a visual artist and am taking a break from producing any new work and peddling my wares but I find myself fearful that the time off will be damaging to my networks or that it will be too easy to just never get back into the discipline of producing artwork. At the same time, I have spent so much of the last few years in a very active production cycle that I'm kind of going a little crazy with unspent creative energy right now. It feels like such a conflict to me, too, because I absolutely believe that mother's are needed at home for the young years and that I couldn't be doing anything more important than what I am, but I still have this fear. I'm presently working on a WAHM busines plan and am hoping that this will at least take care of some of the problem. Good luck!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#9 of 12 Old 01-01-2006, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boysrus
yes, do your masters through distance ed.

I am a sahm, we homeschool and intend to continue through high school. My youngest is 4. I am getting my associates degree now. I am taking as much online as I can. Then I will go to school fo rmy bachelors. and do my masters online.
am going fo rorganizational development. I am going to join Toastmasters. I think it is a great way to stay connected. My friend does it and has been making amazing contacts through it. You only have to do one hour a week. I am also going to join a storytelling guild. These kind of things sound good on a resume, keep your head at least prtly in the grown up world, and give you contacts.

I agree get your masters through distance ed. I am getting my BA from distance learning and am thinking of getting my Masters too,since it is just 10 more months. I am going for Healthcare Management and Human Resources. We homeschool and this is great for the girls to see that even though I stay home with them I am learning something to better my mind and if something happens that I have to work outside the home I at least have a degree.
I think I will look into Toastmasters,it sounds like a good thing.
#10 of 12 Old 01-07-2006, 06:03 PM

I have the same fears. & I know already I've missed out on things in my field. I'm a renal dietitian and already there's been many changes in medications/supplements in the two years since i've been home w/ ds.
What I've done is join my local professional organiziation & I've volunteered to run/organize our group meetings for the next 2 years. This way I stay in touch with other women in the field, i have something to add to my resume, It makes me feel "professional" & I can do most of the tasks while ds is asleep (calling people, emailing etc.)
I'd love to get a masters in public health but I just dont think i would even have the time to do it online/or a distance learning program right now.
#11 of 12 Old 01-10-2006, 06:21 AM

I have a masters degree in horticulture, and I teach a class here and there at the community college. Even though I've been asked several times to go full-time, I will only teach one class a semester, so I'm only away from DD two mornings a week. My FIL watches DD while I'm gone, and it was something we eased into very slowly so that she wouldn't be upset by it.

I think it would also be helpful for me to subscribe to a trade journal to keep up-to-date on changes in the field.

I also do some volunteer work. I am on the library board, which is just one meeting per month. And I volunteer as a Scholastic Bowl moderator, which is about four evenings per month for two months in the spring.
#12 of 12 Old 01-10-2006, 04:44 PM

I don't have any idea whether I'll ever return to the workforce, but I have given this subject some amount of thought.

I think there are two different directions you can take this. Do you want to maintain employability in your previous field, or acquire new skills that would help you get a job in a new field?

If you're trying to stay employable in your previous field, I think maintaining your network of contacts and keeping your skills current are the most important things -- with networking being more important, as skills can always be re-learned. While if you want to acquire new skills, it seems to me that distance education would be a help, as would doing volunteer or part-time work in the field.

Personally, I avoid worrying about this too much in part because I have an excellent network, and in part because I can't foresee a situation in which I would NEED to get a job on short notice. I think it's worth trying to set up your life in such a way that you'll have time to deal with getting a job if you need one -- life insurance, long-term disability insurance, a "nest egg" sufficient to cover expenses for 3-6 months, etc.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page