child care co-op? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-06-2006, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering if anyone was involved in any sort of child care co-op with their friends/acquaintances. If so, how did it get started? How do you actually do a childcare co-op?

I would like to start one, but I have no idea how it works. I was thinking something that would allow us to take a few hours here and there to have some time for ourselves.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...
#2 of 5 Old 01-09-2006, 07:06 PM

I am not a member but the local mom's club has one. The rules usually include some currency that you exchange worth one hour of care and everyone has to be CPR trained. They do a group sit once a month.

I have seen rules for co-ops online if you search.

I have tried casually to start one of my own but never suceeded...I think the easier thing to do is to do a babysitting swap with one friend you really trust. I do that and it works great because we both have comittments we have to do that makes it work. It is also good for our kids because it is the same person each week and we really know eachother well now.
#3 of 5 Old 01-11-2006, 02:44 PM

I've wondered the same thing . A friend of mine (that doesn't llive close by) has found a great group of ladies that do just that. I'd also love to find something like a preschool co-op where the mothers switch off and share duties. The closest one to me is in Concord and for once I'd like to have something AP realated in the Leominster area. I swear if we ever sell our house were moving closer to Boston.
#4 of 5 Old 01-12-2006, 12:47 AM

I too have found it much easier to do a childcare swap with just one friend whose daughter is the same age as mine. We've been doing this for about 6 months now. The girls are 21 months and they really enjoy it too. (The girls have been asking for each other for a week or so now because we took the last two weeks off while both families were traveling for the holidays.)

I think the main thing is to work out ahead of time how formal you'll be in terms of hours and days, house rules (ie-no tv, what type of snacks and food), what to do in case of emergencies, and then just try it.

Happy with my DH, 2 kids, dog, fish, and frogs
#5 of 5 Old 01-20-2006, 10:19 PM

I'm bumping a thread from nearly 4 months ago where I talked about the babysitting co-op I started 3 years ago this month. It's fantastic.

http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ysitting+co-op

If you have any questions, I'll come back and try to answer them.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page