Leaving the board - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-12-2006, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mostly lurked here but I so enjoyed reading all about everyone else on here and knowing i'm not alone in my sahm feelings. I'm sorry to have to go but after a quick look at our finances, even with public assistance (food stamps, medical and eventually section 8 housing) we cannot afford to pay our meager bills without me working too. I'm so upset. we don't even really want much our rent will not be astronomical ($420/mo for 2bedroom apt) but my dh will only be able to cover the rent with his money and any extra food we need adn we'll still have the electric bill and I'm wanting to go back to school (college) this fall and Caleb's outgrown all his clothes adn we have NO money to buy him any new even from teh thrift store. Right now we are borrowing just to pay for insurance on our van and gas.

Its so upsetting that I have to go to work esp since I am 15 wks pregnant now I don't know WHAT we are going to do after the baby is born. Probably I will have to go back as soon as I get the go ahead from my dr.

my goal will ever be to be a sahm again soon but for right now we are drowning. Its so upsetting to know that we are bringing another child (even accidentally) into a family who honestly cannot afford it but at least we will not have to put them in daycare. My one qualification for the job I get will be that I be able to either pump every 2 hrs or nurse the baby every 3 hrs. hopefully I won't have to work more than 5-6 hrs a day tho.

((HUGS)) I'll miss all of you and this board.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
#2 of 13 Old 01-12-2006, 08:15 PM

I am sorry things are so difficult for you right now, that must be very stressful while you are expecting.

I don't think you need to leave the board. Many of us have had to work our way home - if the "conversations" here interest you - stick around.

Good luck with your new baby and job - I hope that things get easier for you and your family soon.

BJ
Barney & Ben
#3 of 13 Old 01-12-2006, 08:22 PM

I'm so sorry. That sounds really tough. Best of luck to you and your family. Hugs.
#4 of 13 Old 01-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
I don't think you need to leave the board. Many of us have had to work our way home - if the "conversations" here interest you - stick around.
I agree! It is so hard to make the switch and make it work. I hope all goes well for you. Blieve it or not sooner or later you will make it back home with your dear little "ones". Good luck.
#5 of 13 Old 01-14-2006, 12:25 AM

What size does Caleb wear...I might be able to send you some things if you need
#6 of 13 Old 01-14-2006, 12:32 AM

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#7 of 13 Old 01-14-2006, 06:23 PM

I'm very sorry to hear that things are rough right now...I think that you're a strong mama for doing what you have to do for your family, especially while pg. I know that I'd do the same thing in an emergency, and I'd feel the same way that you are feeling.
#8 of 13 Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM

#9 of 13 Old 01-18-2006, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please try not to be upset about having another baby because of your financial situation. Finances can (and often do) improve. After three years of looking, my dh has a much better job and is able to support us without me working at all. I still do babysit, but that goes into savings. But we were on food stamps, WIC, medical assistance and thought that we would always be broke and and it would suck. It got better.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#10 of 13 Old 01-18-2006, 02:39 AM

Here's hoping that your DH will find a better paying job. I should also say that if he does make little money you probably qualify for full FS benifits for a family of 3 which is about $390 a month, in addition to section 8 (like you meantioned) medicaid (which your whole family should qualify for) energy assistance, lifeline (lowered phone bill) and WIC, I really don't see why you would need to get another job.

And if you had to get another job, you may want to consider working only on your DH's days off or opposite shifts than him. It's not ideal, but IMO better than daycare. DH and I have had to do this for about 4 years.

Contact Salvation Army and other thrift stores in you area, they will give you vouchers for 2 or 3 changes of clothing for your entire family. Also try www.freecycle.org and see if you can't score some free clothes off there.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#11 of 13 Old 01-18-2006, 12:52 PM

Hugs mama!

I mostly lurk here too, but I'm glad this board is here!

We are most definately not going to be having another child, so I can also send clothes. My son is nearly 4 now, and we still have a good portion of his baby/toddler clothes. Let me know if I can send you any of them!

Rigama

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#12 of 13 Old 01-24-2006, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *andiflipping*
What size does Caleb wear...I might be able to send you some things if you need
18 mos pants and 24 mos shirts. he doesn't look that disproportionate lol

#13 of 13 Old 01-24-2006, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharlla
Here's hoping that your DH will find a better paying job. I should also say that if he does make little money you probably qualify for full FS benifits for a family of 3 which is about $390 a month, in addition to section 8 (like you meantioned) medicaid (which your whole family should qualify for) energy assistance, lifeline (lowered phone bill) and WIC, I really don't see why you would need to get another job.

And if you had to get another job, you may want to consider working only on your DH's days off or opposite shifts than him. It's not ideal, but IMO better than daycare. DH and I have had to do this for about 4 years.

Contact Salvation Army and other thrift stores in you area, they will give you vouchers for 2 or 3 changes of clothing for your entire family. Also try www.freecycle.org and see if you can't score some free clothes off there.
we don't qualify for foodstamps right nnow because we live with my mother. which means we will get them whenn we move out and will be able to eat healthier (fresh fruit and 3 meals a day)

I am making it work I will post about how in a second.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page