About to join the ranks; lots of ?????? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-04-2006, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello everyone, I'm about to join the ranks of the SAHM in about 2-3 mths. I've had enough with my job and hate only seeing my dd 1 hr a night. I'm planning to quit by Sept. So, does anyone have any suggestions on things I should stock up on or buy to make my life easier? With me quitting we are losing 50% or our income Anything would help; I was thinking of getting a freezer and a food saver, some more craft supplies for dd (she's 21mths) but I'm stuck on anything else. Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Casie
#2 of 13 Old 06-04-2006, 10:25 PM

What you might consider doing is trying to live on just one salary and save your salary in an emergency fund. You could buy some things, too, but you may want to wait and see what you'll need. Make a budget based on the money you expect to have with you staying at home. We were able to do something like this, but it was pretty gradual...I was on unemployment for a while, which was about 3/4 of my original salary, and most of that went into savings or to pay for my health insurance to continue. What an eye opener!
#3 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 12:40 AM

Yay congratulations!

SAHM'ing just wouldn't work for me if we couldn't go outside all the time. A magical thing happens when you go out in the backyard or to the woods or on a "hike" with a young one -- they explore and enjoy themselves without feeling like they need to be constantly entertained by you! Outside is where I read and daydream for hours while my daughter plays happily nearby.

BUt you have to go out with the intention of not entertaining them constantly or trying to teach them about every little thing they look at. I mean, toys in the back yard are great -- going to the park is great, but just letting them explore and get dirty and make their own conclusions about the world is fantastic for them. Your little one wil be enthralled!

And extra special for the young ones is to frequent the same outdoor place. THen it really becomes theirs, and they get to watch it change throughout the seasons. Buy clothes for all seasons, so she can be comfy in snow, rain etc.

Good luck in everything!
#4 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Banned

I agree with turtlemama. Save whatever you can now for a rainy day fund - the car breaks, you need new glasses, the fridge dies, whatever. Make a list of everything that is truly essential - in other words, not cable tv, not eating out, not renting videos, not dry cleaning, etc. Then, make a good budget and include mad money each week for you and your partner - money you can do whatever you want with. When it comes time to crunch numbers each month, you don't want to have to justify your little fun things like a latte or new socks. My dh and I give ourselves $30 a week each and from that comes lunch out or lattes or videos or sometimes we pool it and go out or order in. But, we don't have to justify it to each other since it comes out as cash and we have a teeny bit of fun each week. It makes the scrimping and saving seem more tolerable. Try living off this budget now and save what you can.

Also, start noticing the fun you can have that does not require money. Instead of going to the mall go for a hike. Instead of buying cookies, make them. If you love yoga, buy a dvd instead of paying for a class. That kind of thing saves money and makes for good sahming fun.

Ooh - and start making homemade holiday and birthday gifts now!
#5 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 10:41 AM

Stop spending your salary NOW, put the whole thing in savings. You'll be able to figure out a budget.

Lots of outside time, get a routine. The days can get long

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#6 of 13 Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 PM

Stock up on like-minded friends because "they" are a priceless comodety when home by yourself week after week!!

chicken3.gifbelly.gifwow...i'm gonna have another one!!!
#7 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkmilk
Stock up on like-minded friends because "they" are a priceless comodety when home by yourself week after week!!
So true! Join a play group for both of you. My DD and I have been in the same play group meeting weekly for 2 years. I love these ladies and their kids - they are a total blessing in my life. Both DD and I look forward to playgroup every week. It's nice to know that whatever is or isn't planned we have that.
#8 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
If you love yoga, buy a dvd instead of paying for a class.
I've found many good tapes and dvds at my library for me and my dc.

I agree with pp, live off of one income now, put the rest into savings. The hardest thing for our transition was the unexpected expenses. If we had saved my income before I finished work then we wouldnt have gotten ourselves into such a big hole when our transmission died.

But anyway, Congrats on the next chapter in your life!
#9 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am trying to curb my spending now and we are making plans, but I find it SOOO hard to stay here at work. I'm ready to quit now! My dd has a runny nose and acted like she didn't feel good yesterday - so I'm hating being here today! As much as I'm searching these boards today maybe I'll get fired

Casie
#10 of 13 Old 06-06-2006, 03:23 PM

I agree with the pp that you should try to save as much as possible. Before I stopped my job, I took 75% of my salary and put it in savings. The other 25% was used to stock up on things: paper products, cleaning supplies, frozen foods (since it's summer, you can buy local produce in bulk & freeze it yourself supercheap), hit the clearance racks in stores for some gift items & wrapping stuff. I did this spending about $100. I ended up using the stuff for the 1st christmas & 1 year of birthdays!
#11 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 02:12 AM

I just put in my two weeks at work and feel the same way... GET ME OUT OF HERE!!! Even though we're looking at the fun money (my paycheck) going away, I am actually excited that I'll be able to clean the house and do laundry all week long (I know, its sick, huh?), instead of cramming it into my few precious days off! Hooray to be home with the Boy!!!!!!

28-year-old SAH/Homeschooling Mamma to DS5, DD3, DS16mo. Helpmeet to DH since 2003. TTC #4!
#12 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 02:24 AM

Congratulations on making the decision to become a SAHM!!!!

I would definately try and find out what kind of activities there are in your area like playgroups, library story time, special days for children at parks, zoos, museums, etc. . .I have met many of my friends through these activities and it is a great time for your children to be around other kids. Also try and find some time to visit a park at least a couple of times a week--not only another good way to make some SAHM friends, but a great time for you and your DD to get out and play. As for things to stock up on? I can't think of anything--I can tell you that when you are a SAHM and the budget is tight you do learn that there are a lot of things you don't really need. You also learn that it is way cheaper and better for your family to give up convenience foods and buy whole foods and cook them yourself!

Barbara:  an always learning SAHM of Ilana (11) and Aiden (8) living in Belgium with my amazing husband.

#13 of 13 Old 06-09-2006, 02:44 PM

I second starting to live off one salary immediately. You can either put your salary into savings or you can use it to pay off debt, so that your payments are not as high as they are now. Pay off credit cards, make double payments on your cars, even put extra money on your mortgage.

And find some fun, free/cheap stuff to do in your community

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page