Mothering Forum banner

13 months old....does it get better (please say yes!)

705 views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  kkar 
#1 ·
Oh my goodness, this child is running me ragged! i can do NOTHING without interruption, as she is immediately finding something open/on the floor/not nailed down to a) eat b) throw out a window, off the deck, in the tub or in the toilet or c) to ruin and destroy!!!!! I know this is her developmental need irght now, but oooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh gooooood I am tired and I get nothing done!

See less See more
#2 ·
It. Gets. Better.

Ok. I'm serious, though. It gets better, mama, I promise. I had a hard day today too and got very little done. Two tired, argumentative kidlets, errands to run, a big pregnant belly and a cold to deal with. 'Twas not a fun day! So major hugs to you and I hope tomorrow is a better one, complete with less eating/getting into/throwing out/throwing off, throwing in

#3 ·
My sister and I both agree that from 9-15 months was a really, really hard time for us (we are both SAHMs of boy onlies). Now our kids are 18 months (hers) and 23 months (mine). It is so much easier!! They play better, they sleep better, they eat better, they are all-around a lot more fun. Just our experience, of course, but I have heard this from another friend of mine with her dd, too. Hang in there, mama
:

#5 ·
I think 9 - 18 months is the hands-down hardest parenting phase, in that it's just so relentless! Buy yourself a couple of baby gates. Thoroughly child proof a few of the rooms in your house. Block off (or close the doors of) the other ones and only let her in there when you're prepared to provide the supervision she needs. You'll be more relaxed, and you'll both be happier! My kids had access to all the main living areas of our house (living room, kitchen, dining room, den), but not to my bedroom (or the older kids' bedrooms, when the youngest child came along), the bathrooms, or our office. Makes life so much calmer!

#6 ·
As PP's have stated, it really does get better. My DS was the most intense high-energy preschoolers I've ever met and now he can entertain himself for long periods of time (such as the half hour it can take to get DD to sleep in another room!). At your DD's age it's hard since they've just got so much get up and go in them but they do mellow a bit as they age!

I'd like to throw in another suggestion if I may. Only spend time talking to people about your DD if they are saying positive things about her. In my experience, a few kind words from friends or family about my kids makes me re-appreciate how great they really are. On the other hand, spending time with people who find my kids' needs to me a nuissance really puts me on edge and makes me question my parenting style. With your DD going through a perfectly normal stage right now, you probably really don't need anyone giving you negative feedback.

Good luck, have fun, and enjoy your DD!!

#7 ·
It gets soooooooo much better!

Honest. Soon you'll be chasing her about the playground and she'll be getting tired! Try going outside if the weather is ok there. Running will tire her out and then she'll be ready to do soemthing more mellow.

I remember when my twins were about that age and dd was 3. Man! Every time I turned my back, 2 of them were dumping a whoel box of crackers or cereal on hte floor and the third would be trying to climb the stairs. I'd grab #3, try to clean up the mess, and 1 and 2 would knock over all teh pots and pans, whlie #3 peed on the floor.

Then the warm weather came. They went OUT! They7 knocked over their yard toys, but who cared! I could read a book while they ran about. Then when htey were exhausted, I could sweep up, do some dishes and celebrate them growing up a bit.

(Now they all drive! Cars! YIKES!)

#8 ·
It gets better. But I make no promises as....well....DD is worse at 2 than at 13 months (she didn't walk until 15 months
)

Make certain rooms off limits. Get gates, close doors, put tube socks over doorknobs, find a new use for crib rails.

Get social. Find friends, playgroups, even family. The key is distraction so that you get to sit and relax while your child is enthralled by others. Even short periods of time are great.

You know what...it doesn't necessarily get 'better', it gets 'different'. At 2, DD is still....well...challenging
But she is much easier to deal with when she freaks than she was when she was younger. Look at my senior name....Human Pacifier. That describes my relationship with DD for almost 2 years. Only *I* could calm her.

#9 ·
It does get better! A few things that helped me get through this phase:

Fill a cupboard with items you don't mind dc pulling out and playing with (maybe tupperware and safe cooking utensils like measuing spoons)

Try to make your house as babyproof as possible, so you dc can makes messes but won't get hurt

Change your expectations (this is the hardest thing to do!). You won't be able to get much done, your house may be messy, and you may have to do take-out tonight. And the world will keep on turning.

Get out as much as possible! Library, park, a friend's house . . . whatever. And it's even better if you can set a firm schedule. For example, we have swimming lessons 3 times a week and it seriously saves my sanity!!!!!

I know it's tough. But it won't be like this forever (it just seems like it!).

#10 ·
Oh mama have I been there. Still am there times 2. Mine are 10 1/2 months apart so yes, I know your pain intimately.

It does, in fact, get better and fairly soon too. My 20 month old is much less into getting into things than she was even 4 months ago. And ds (2 1/2) is awesome. He still does things that are messy and drive me crazy, but somehow it's different than before. He is more into playing than simply opening everything in the house like a robot.

#12 ·
I don't know how your home is set up but mine just wasn't very easy to baby proof in a way that I could get much done in the waking hours when they were this age. If you can't change the action all you can change is your reaction to it (easier said than done I know!!) But, try making yourself a schedule so you have set times to play and set times to get chores done etc. I think this helps make you feel less like you have SO much to do so it isn't so stressful if you don't get it done. Make sense?? I scheduled my weekly tasks (like dusting, bed sheets etc) so I have just a couple of things to do each day. This way I don't feel so overwhelmed if I don't get it done that day. Most things can wait an extra week if they really need to. Also check out www.flylady.net Great tips on how to make most of your chores part of your routine so you don't feel like all you do is cook and clean. This is what helps me (when I don't fall of the schedule that is lol).

#13 ·
Mine is now 2.5 and he is still bouncing off the walls and into much trouble before you can blink. One day they will grow out of it....I hope!

#14 ·
I wouldnt necessarily say it gets better, just different

althought the toddler age is terribly demanding. Currently we are plowing through trying to potty train my 3.5 yr old, my 4 year old is working on his tantrums and my 7 year old is "learning" (not very successfully) not to hit

I think each age is challenging and wonderful

Here's to the next phase

#15 ·
It gets both better...and worse....

I think the thing to remember is that everything is a "stage" that they'll eventually move out of. On the other hand, you never know what the next "stage" will be! I thought that age was hard, and then it got hard again for me around 22-26mos., but I can't remember exactly why... I think they get more sophisticated and verbally demanding at that age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.