housecleaning services - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: do you have hired cleaning help?
yes 49 31.01%
no 103 65.19%
other - explain 6 3.80%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
do you have a housecleaning service? if so, what type/how often? how do you feel about it? how does SO feel about it?

i've fallen way behind on things like laundry and cleaning since dd (7 weeks old today) was born. i think we need to bring in reinforcements. i feel kind of lame for being a sahm and not having a clean house. the truth is, we've never been neat people and i doubt we ever will be.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#2 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 08:39 PM

I used to, we had a woman come in every other week when I was working. We still used her for 8 or 10 months or so after DS was born and I was home. Frankly if I had no kids I would never clean as well as the cleaning lady did, with a newborn, it just wasn't going to happen. I wasn't about to pay someone else to watch my baby while I cleaned, and didn't even do a good job of it when I could pay someone else to clean for me so I could be with my baby.
#3 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Oh I wish I had a cleaning person: ! I try to keep the house relatively picked up, but at times it seems like an uphill battle. On my mom's last visit (from out of state) she stated "I think you need some help with the house." Well to be honest I was offended, but she's probably telling the truth. My dh thinks since I'm a sahm that why should we have a cleaning person (I kinda think the same thing) but I would like some help, maybe monthly.
#4 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM

Absolutely I do. It was for my sanity. It used to drive us bananas that bathrooms, carpets, mopping, etc. were not done regularly, or that details like dusting were forgotten altogether. With a newborn and toddler, I needed downtime at night but instead cleaned until the wee hours. Forget it.

We hired someone biweekly, now weekly (4 hrs at a time) and pay her cash. She's obsessively meticulous and uses natural products. She rotates what she does - kitchen and bathroom sanitizing, mopping, vacumming, decluttering, etc. No, we don't lay around and let things pile up, but it's good to be able to spend that time with the kids or, say, cooking a healthy meal and getting some mental respite.
#5 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a lady who comes once a week and does the floors and bathrooms and the dusting because I can never seem to find enough time to do a WHOLE floor or a WHOLE bathroom. It takes her only a few hours and it costs very little.

I do all the day to day stuff because with only one child I find it fairly easy (so far) to throw a load of laundry in or unload/load the dishwasher. And my husband is super helpful so that's nice. My parents live close by so my mom will often come over and hang out and occupy the baby so I can get a lot done. I'm very lucky. My husband works from home so he knows EXACTLY what a day with a small child is like, he sees the whole thing. He's well aware that there aren't a lot of spare minutes for things like dusting.
#6 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 PM

I'd never have the money to hire someone to clean my house.

treehugger.gifAutistic pagan mama with five kiddos on the spectrum, learning through living life. autismribbon.gif  computergeek2.gif

#7 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 09:38 PM

Dang! I just wrote a post and accidentaly erased it!!

I have someone come every other week. If you can budget it into your household expenses go for it. It is worth every penny.(IMHO)
#8 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yes. DH doesn't expect me to keep the house clean, my job as a SAHM is to be there for dd not keep the house spotless. So for a while we'd clean on the weekends together, it'll take a half day to accomplish anything with dd. DH is the one that brought up the idea of a houecleaner. We have a woman who comes in once a week, she makes up all her own natural cleaning solutions, it's been absolutely wonderful. Both DH and I are so much happier now we don't have to worry about our house.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#9 of 65 Old 10-12-2006, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post
:

Exactly how I feel.

~Lanie mom to Layne, Liam, Maren, Meridian, and Melora
#10 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchyMama2 View Post

I, too, wish we could afford a housekeeper!
#11 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 01:20 AM

We just hired someone to start coming again. We've had someone off and on since we had kids, mostly when I was hugely pg, they were newborns, DH was deployed, etc.

With #4 on the way, us moving into a new house, DH deploying again...well, it was time to resign myself to not being able to keep up with everything. I do NOT want our new house to get out of hand, that's for sure.
#12 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Banned

I have someone come once every two weeks. She is absolutely fabulous. She helps me organize and gets me together. Then the slow descent into chaos happens again.
#13 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 02:09 AM

Nope, cleaning doesn't take me long. If I hired someone to do it for me I wouldn't have anything to do

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#14 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I vote other because we used to when the girls were both babies, but we no longer do because I no longer have a hard time keeping with stuff. When I had 2 babies it was impossible, but now it isn't a big deal.

I see you have closely spaced kids. (Mine are 19 months apart.) If you need the help and you can afford it, do it. We had someone come in every other week and it was wonderful.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#15 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 10:54 AM

I vote "yes" because I need to get off my fanny and rehire a new person(s).

We just fired our cleaning ladies last week. They weren't doing a very good job and I found myself wondering why I was cleaning behind 2 people I had just paid $30 each to for two hours of cleaning when they never stayed mroe than one.

DH is a neat freak like I am and when we both realized that I was spending so much time cleaning that it was taking away from things like reading and park time, we both realized something has to give.

So I'll be surfing the phonebook today and trying to replace the help we did have. We need help once a week.

secular classical-ish mama to an incredible 5 year old DS and an amazing 6 year old DD.
#16 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 11:18 AM

I often wish I had a housekeeper. I have four kids and a dh that works all the time, so it's hard to keep up with everything. But, I have a hard time hiring someone to clean my mess. I guess I'm too private.
#17 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 11:21 AM

We are barely making ends meet, so no. And, wait a sec....I AM one of those ladies! I clean a friends house for cash and am able to pay one of the utility bills. Man, with 8 weeks left, that's kinda stopped. HURUMPH!

DH Cain Mamma to 3 girls LO due 2/15
#18 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have been seriously looking into it. Someone to come in every week and rotate, floors, dust, mop...stuff like that. I can handle the day to day like laundry and dishes and such. But I am horrid at the other stuff.

So my question to all you mommas who do have house cleaners..whats the rate where you are. How much per hour do you pay, how often do they come? What do they do when they come?

thanks!! Great thread!!
#19 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 12:30 PM

I don't, but I've definitely thought about it. I always feel kind of guilty, too, like I should be able to handle everything. But, I really dislike housecleaning. My father was a compulsive neat freak, and I'm still in rebellion!

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#20 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 12:34 PM

Yes, but my mom is paying for it. We can't afford it, and my mom is such a clean freak, she just pays for it for us. If I weren't so grateful, I might be insulted.
#21 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamameg View Post
Yes, but my mom is paying for it. We can't afford it, and my mom is such a clean freak, she just pays for it for us. If I weren't so grateful, I might be insulted.
: About 5 months after I moved in with DP he very delicately asked me one night, if I would be insulted if he asked Dolores (the woman who cleans his office and his parents house) to come to our house a couple of times a month. he was really afraid I would get mad at him for asking, imagine his relief when I kissed him and said "Oh thank you!"
#22 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 03:23 PM

I just walked into my *sparkling* clean house and it is a great day! We have cleaning ladies that come every 2 weeks. And each and every time I think, "this is the best $ we spend!!!"

It keeps everyone happy---me, DH, our DD. WOW.

Me afro.jpg reading.gif Wife and Mom to modifiedartist.gif cat.gifdog2.gif.
#23 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 PM

I voted no, but there are times I wish I did. If I let it go for even a day it looks like I havent touched it in a month!!!!!!! 4 boys are dirty,lol.
#24 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 04:07 PM

I just hired one today!!!!!!!!!!!She will only some once a month to do a deep cleaning. My house is clean, I'm a neat freak, but I really want more "me" time. I do daycare in my home, so I don't get the chance to clean at all during the day.

Busy Mama to three beautiful girls and loving wife to my hubby
#25 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 06:10 PM

I don't... but I would if I could afford it!
#26 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 09:35 PM

I have a housecleaner come once a week. FIL pays for it as a gift to me. What an awesome guy!

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#27 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 PM

We don't have anyone that comes in to clean, but reading this has made me feel so much better! Our house is never actually "clean," its "clean enough." I find it impossible with kids 6, 4, and 2. I don't want to neglect them so I can have a clean house. DH is always complaining that it's a mess and that since I am home, I should have the house spotless, along with dinner on the table and taking care of 3 kids! He works 70+ hours/week, so I do everything. Glad I am not the only SAHM who could use some help
#28 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 10:43 PM

No. No way we could afford that but it would certainly be nice if we could!
#29 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 PM

We hired a cleaning service for once a week. It costs $80.00 a week, and we reviewed our budget to cut out unnessicary things-like cable, magazine subscriptions, etc so we could afford it.
I would rather have a clean house than 150 channels of nothing on tv!

Mama to 5 babies. UCer, too!
#30 of 65 Old 10-13-2006, 11:15 PM

Nope. No way could we afford it and our place is really small so it's not too hard to keep it relatively clean... neat is another matter though

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page