Are mainstream SAHM more into cleaning? - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraNicole View Post
i'm very AP and NFL but also a neat FREAK! i guess i'm just not as crunchy as i like to think i am!
I really wish that I was a neat freak. I mean really... I don't mean it in a silly... I wish I was... I mean... I REALLY wish that I was a neat freak.

Or maybe, I just wish DH was not so MESSY!

I used to keep my personal space so neat until bunking up with DH. Can I make him into a neat freak? Now DS... Wow... a whole other thread.

-L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 05:04 AM

Dh and I were both schooled regarding cleanliness by our clean freak mothers, so we actually like to keep our house tidy. It makes us happy. That said, I'm the one that does most of the cleaning, although I can get dh on board for decluttering projects. Our house gets cleaned a lot less now that we have dd. Before, the floors, dishes, counters, laundry, etc. was done on a daily basis. Now, I'm lucky if I vacuum once or twice a week. I don't really care though--interacting with my dd and having "me" time is way more important than having a sparkling house.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#153 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 12:20 PM

So to update- we put our house on the market on Feb1. For 6 weeks my house had to be cleand, scrubbed, and perfect. UGHHHHH. I am so glad we got a contract to sell. Not only because we wanted it, but heck- I am so sick of keeping up this look!!! We havent touched anything in 2 days and we now feel like its better.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#154 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 03:17 PM
Banned

Yeah, I don't think it has much of anything to do with mainstream or crunchy. I know plenty of mainstream moms with messy houses. Myself, I became a LOT cleaner after having DD.

Well, no, not exactly. I stayed a messy person for a while right after she was born, but the more mobile she got, the more of a problem it became. So now the house is relatively clean at most times, save for the area around her toybox (since she likes to dump the whole box full of cars out to find the ONE she's looking for, lol). Sure, there's nights and days when I'm not feeling up to snuff and say, eff it! I'll clean later. But mostly, I try to keep it tidy for my own sanity.
#155 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM

I don't think it is a matter of mainstream vs crunchy either.

I agree with the ones who said there is a difference between untidy and filthy.

As a child, I grew up with a working mom. There was always a lot of dust and untidiness, but not really anything scummy or rotting. She kept up on the kitchen every night, and the toilet probably weekly. The rest wasn't a big deal.

When I was living at home, I always kept my room tidy. But, I never washed the floors or windows or did anything like that involving soap and water.

Now, I have a severe shortage of space. I would love it if I could just put everything into its place and feel like things are tidy. But, there is not enough space, even though I try to keep the level of stuff to a minimum. So, I am always having to move stuff from one place to another before I can wash that place. So, I end up doing it in bursts. For example, a few days ago I moved stuff temporarily out of the kitchen so I could wash the floors for the first time in about 2 months.

I never feel like a clean bathroom lasts very long. Drips land everywhere and leave marks that are really not unsanitary, but cosmetically unattractive. When guests are coming over, I just wipe that all up. The rest of the house is usually presentable enough with just a few minutes of picking up and a quick sweeping.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.
#156 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Literate View Post
And it takes a certain inner peace to sit in a dirty house and READ A BOOK.
I must be a very peaceful person inside then

I don't think it's a mainstream v. crunchy issue. I admit I struggle with clutter and mess but I'm making changes. It's hard for me though as it is for many people. I do believe that some people are "born organized" and it comes easier to them.
#157 of 157 Old 03-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInSeptember View Post
I I think that if a child becomes comfortable in a messy house, they will take that with them into adulthood and become messy adults.
I'm very sure that my mother would like you to know that I did NOT grow up in a messy house

My mother doesn't consider herself a neat freak but she's very organized and you could safely eat off her floor if you chose to.

Needless to say she is horrified at my housekeeping. She swears she didn't teach me to be that way.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page