Do you do something to make $ while at home? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 58 Old 08-27-2007, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, I write my kick arse blog, and I think I've made a good $10 so far between Google and Amazon ads....does that count?
#32 of 58 Old 08-27-2007, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyParent View Post
Well, I write my kick arse blog, and I think I've made a good $10 so far between Google and Amazon ads....does that count?
Hey, it's income...as in it's "coming in" instead of going out. So, definitely it counts!
#33 of 58 Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 AM

I am a consultant for Once upon a Family. It is stuff that builds family traditions, and helps your family preserve memories. I really love the stuff! It is direct sales like mary kay or tupperware, but there are only 1200 reps in the country so it is really easy to earn a LOT of extra money on it, because it isn't totally saturated in the marketplace.
#34 of 58 Old 08-28-2007, 02:53 PM

I play in my kitchen making natural beauty products, and sell them when I'm done. It's the most fun I've ever had (beside being a mom)!
#35 of 58 Old 08-28-2007, 08:29 PM

I have started to make and sell cloth diapers. So far since June I have made$685.00 canadian doing it. Not alot but I also run a small daycare during the week.By the way I am a SAHM to 5 kids. 3 go to school and the other 2 home with me.
#36 of 58 Old 09-07-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof_3_boys View Post
I play in my kitchen making natural beauty products, and sell them when I'm done. It's the most fun I've ever had (beside being a mom)!
that sounds awesome, can u pm me with onfo on how I can get started in that?
#37 of 58 Old 09-07-2007, 03:23 PM

I tutor Deaf and Hard of Hearing kids and help their families learn to sign. I am considering starting a business teaching local hearing families to sign (ASL) as well but we'll see. I feel my talents (Masters in Deaf Ed) are better used serving Deaf children.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#38 of 58 Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM

I spend wisely and try to sell things at consignment stores for credit so I can save money on the kids clothing. I also sell music and books back to half priced books.
#39 of 58 Old 09-07-2007, 03:32 PM

I have a very small, only about a year old, photography business. I do on-location, photojournalistic photo shoots. I've only had about 10-12 clients because I'm not ready to advertise yet, but it's been a couple hundred extra here and there, and it always seems to be when I need it most.

I love it because I make money doing something I love to do, and I think there's room for growth once my youngest is a bit older.
#40 of 58 Old 09-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansma View Post
I tutor Deaf and Hard of Hearing kids and help their families learn to sign. I am considering starting a business teaching local hearing families to sign (ASL) as well but we'll see. I feel my talents (Masters in Deaf Ed) are better used serving Deaf children.
That's awesome!!

Have you considered doing an adult ed course (maybe through your local YMCA)?

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#41 of 58 Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess A View Post
I have a very small, only about a year old, photography business. I do on-location, photojournalistic photo shoots. I've only had about 10-12 clients because I'm not ready to advertise yet, but it's been a couple hundred extra here and there, and it always seems to be when I need it most.

I love it because I make money doing something I love to do, and I think there's room for growth once my youngest is a bit older.
Jess, I checked out your link to your photography business and your pictures are fabulous! Are you on my side of PA, near Pittsburgh, or are you on the other side? I would love to get some portraits of the kidlets. :
#42 of 58 Old 09-08-2007, 12:37 AM

I work with an awesome company called National Companies, it is network marketing, and the compensation plan is out of this world!! The company sells savings so it's a no brainer! Let me know if you want the info on it!

Christian mama to one dear girl, and wife to a Jesus - loving husband smile.gif  

#43 of 58 Old 09-08-2007, 12:52 AM

I sell Avon, Tahitian Noni Juice and Colour Energy products.
Having my own money enables me to take care of myself and buy things like meals while we are out, pay for Scholastic books and school expenses, and buy gifts for others.
#44 of 58 Old 09-08-2007, 11:15 AM

I babysit for a family of 3, the youngest is 2. the other two are school aged and I have them an hour before school and an hour after. My oldest goes to school so I am left with the 2 yr old and my 4 1/2 yr old during the day.

I also have another after school girl sometimes and between them I make about $1500 / month.
#45 of 58 Old 12-15-2007, 03:31 PM

I like this thread and wonder if anyone else can add something.

I have a website that makes passive income of about $200-$300 a month and if worked on, the site can make $200-$300 more per month. Takes a lot of time though, so I like the passive income!

We've lost $1300 a month in income this year and I need to find ways to make that up! Since the grocery and utility bills are pretty much set and I probably wont be able to lower them, I need something coming in.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#46 of 58 Old 12-15-2007, 11:10 PM

I teach fiddle lessons and play in a couple of bands.

~~~
whoops! didn't realize this is an old thread. i responded on the last page.
#47 of 58 Old 12-16-2007, 12:15 AM

I sell Avon products right now. Every little bit helps, but I am looking for something else to help out a little more. Thinking about giving the writing websites that I've been reading about here a shot.
#48 of 58 Old 12-16-2007, 01:14 AM

I used to write these short, insanely easy articles for a site that is no longer active. $10-$15 a piece. It was worth it at the time.

I've done other freelance writing but anything that requires interviews is so tough when you have lil ones.

I've also earned money writing press releases and catalog copy for other WAHMS. I love writing catalog copy! Wish I could easily get more of those jobs, but that would require marketing myself, etc.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#49 of 58 Old 12-16-2007, 11:08 AM

I'm another child-care providing mama. I watch our friends' two children (2 1/2 and 3 months) along with my own two (3 and 9 months). It goes surprisingly smoothly, and I make enough that even though I've just become a single mama, I should be able to stay at home, what with my child care income and the child support payments from my soon-to-be ex-husband. It will be tight but doable.
#50 of 58 Old 12-17-2007, 01:50 AM

My aunt owns a tax preparation company, so she trained me for free to do taxes. Of course, it's only good during tax season, but I made decent money for just a little work during that time. With tax season coming up again, you could try that, I know a lot of places will train you to do work at home, or as is convenient, because they don't need the staff all year, so they don't care if you don't want to work in the office. Just a word of advice though, it's pretty stressfull if you don't love it, because you feel like you have someone's fate in your hands. I was so worried I was going to mess up and cause them a big problem, that I am not going to do it anymore.
#51 of 58 Old 12-17-2007, 04:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Ah, a thread dear to my heart. I'm looking for WAH ideas myself... it's harder than you might think!

Currently (pregnant, no kiddies this side of the womb though), I make a little money on various things. I've made... uh... four dollars Mystery Shopping? I bake muffins, slices and so on and sell them in the tearooms at DH's work (large company, 300 staff), which makes me a profit of maybe $4 or $5 on a good day. It does add up, though. I do wedding cakes--maybe four or five a year, and I do find it rather stressful, but I can make maybe $100-$125 in profit each time. Which, as you can see, is big money for me!

I'd love to do something like medical transcription (almost impossible in NZ), childcare (okay, I wouldn't *love* to do that, but it'd be convenient), freelance writing, selling crafts (assuming I had, you know, skills...), baking on a more official level (impossible for reasons of legality)... sigh. It's tricky! I enter competitions and free sample offers online a lot, which is hardly an 'income', but has given me a few nice freebies. I won a $10 petrol voucher this month, and $100 worth of movie tickets for writing a winning movie review. That was cool.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#52 of 58 Old 12-17-2007, 09:01 AM

I tutor high school students. I love doing this! It pays well and is somewhat flexible in that I can set the day and time the student will come.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
#53 of 58 Old 12-19-2007, 02:09 AM

Does anyone clean houses?

#54 of 58 Old 12-23-2007, 03:14 AM

I have cleaned houses before. I loved it, and I thought of my clients as family. It is excellent pay and great hours - but definitely physically demanding. If your kids are really little, you can set up a pack-n-play for them to play in/sleep in while you work. I typically wouldn't take jobs that would take me much more than 3-4 hours of work to complete (though the first couple of cleans may take a bit longer). In my area, that works out to around $90-120/per cleaning. It may be slightly different where you are.

Some notes - there are cheap folks out there who will expect you to work for minimum wage per hour. Don't do it. (in fact, I typically detest the per hour thing and price as per job) Many of the folks who work so cheaply are not quality workers, are not trustworthy, and/or simply sell themselves short. Expect to potentially take 1-3 months to get the biz started. Write contracts and make sure you are paid on the day you work - usually they leave a check/cash in an envelope on the kitchen counter. Be clear about what the client wants done, and make a list of your usual services. If you are willing to do above that, that's great - just make sure you charge for the "extras".

Be dependable - show up when you say you will, and do GOOD work. Expect to feel utterly exhausted for the first month - even if you are in excellent shape. Give yourself a break about your own home, or else you'll drive yourself nuts that first month or so. Definitely get bonded/insured - its usually cheap and can save you money in the long run. Finally, remember that while you do work for the client, they should also "fit" you. If your personalities clash, you feel weird, the client is a pain in the bucket, or anything gets too stressful - give your notice and drop the client. It's not worth stressing over a "job". Believe it or not, once you get started and have a good name for yourself, you'll never have trouble replacing clients.
#55 of 58 Old 12-23-2007, 10:55 PM

I make and sell slings and diapers. I have no idea how to grow that business though...
#56 of 58 Old 12-23-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandbmom View Post
I make and sell slings and diapers. I have no idea how to grow that business though...
Do you sell on Ebay? Any children/baby boutiques in your area?

When I started doing children's and mother jewelry, I contacted local shops and also did some searches online for boutique type stores and sent out brochures and samples.

I also did this with my loose beads and got an amazing response from several stores throughout the country who now carry them.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#57 of 58 Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 PM

I work in the evenings from home while DH is here doing telephone tobacco cessation counseling. I just wait for people to call in and help them develop a plan for quitting smoking or help them stay quit. It's low key and I really feel like I'm making a difference. And, since it's only 4 hours/evening I don't get burned out. I can't believe it has worked out so well!
#58 of 58 Old 12-28-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
Nope.

But I have become really skilled in extreme couponing. This morning? $35.14 saved with coupons.

Mama to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page