Do you do something to make $ while at home? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I do daycare in my home. I'm finding it more stressful than I'd like to be living and am wondering if anyone here has found something that I could do (may be in combination with other things) to make the money I do running a daycare.
Any suggestions would be very appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 05:42 AM

I plan on going back to doing some graphic design work when my life is not as crazy. It takes a while to get really good at it, but it's something you can totally do from home.

You could always do something like data entry or something where you can just "pick up and leave it" whenever.
#3 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 12:31 PM

I used to do medical and general transcription. It got too difficult with DS though, because he magically knew which night I had a project and decide that he would only sleep if I was RIGHT next to him in bed. Silly. I went through Career Step to get my MT training and it was really worth it to me, even though I didn't work for too long.

Now I watch a friend's baby four days a week. I don't really enjoy it, but DS seems to like having a baby around. They are exactly a year apart, so it's pretty crazy sometimes.

Ali hang.gif Mama to Ezra (12/29/05) banana.gifand Willa (09/19/2008) broc1.gifand Louisa (5/29/2011)carrot.gif treehugger.gifnovaxnocirc.gifhomebirth.jpg

#4 of 58 Old 08-19-2007, 05:16 PM

I mainly write for Associated Content, and sometimes other sites and print publications.
#5 of 58 Old 08-20-2007, 12:17 PM

I had a small online business for 5 years. After a few years, I lost my passion for it, and it became more of a drudge than I wanted. So I sold the business.

For a short time, I also did in-home daycare for the child of a friend. I found it was very wearing on me, and I lasted less than a year. I was fortunate that I had a choice, and I could quit. But for sheer dependabilty of income, daycare is a good choice. Babysitting for a friend gave me a much larger and more consistent income than my WAHM business ever did.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#6 of 58 Old 08-20-2007, 03:59 PM

When dd is a little older, I am going to start doula-ing again. That way, I'll be able to make $500-$1,000 per month (2 clients a month) and only have to be away for a few days a month.

Happily parenting our snuggly wild child since 2007 and her little brother since 2011!

#7 of 58 Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM

I groom dogs and cats.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#8 of 58 Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM

I dont make much money, but I work for "spending cash" by doing an assortment of odd-jobs.

I work as Church Secratary for 2 different churches when ever they are "in between" regular staff. [They've let me bring my son so he can play in the nearby nursery room while I work.] I sell scrapbook supplies and teach scrapbook classes now-n-then. I also started a cake decorating business (but never licenced my home kitchen and therefore had to rent the Church Kitchens which turned into a pain, la la la) and now do specialty cakes once-in-a-while when refered by a Wedding Cake decorator (who only does wedding not 'other' so she refers me for 'other') but I only do cakes when the mood strikes me. I have also been a paid consultant doing in-home organizing of kitchens for friends, family, and neighbors. [I am very very 'a' type...] I have also, in the past, tried my hand at making gift baskets and selling them at the local nurseries.

My family have 'led the way' in odd-job jobs for me as excellent example setters... My Dad has worked for years as a "handy man" through contacts from the local Marina. He also took over a part-time buisness from my Grandfather as a Wedding Photographer. [My Sister and I have done this as well on occasion.] He is also a pretty good stained glass artist and sells windows now-n-then. My mother creates websites for small businesses in her town, plus has written weaving software and teaches the art of weaving out of their home. My step-father started a small IP company in his office, and does small one-off IT jobs for homes and small businesses. [They also built a horse barn on their property where my Uncle runs a stable.] My Grandmother used to sell canned and baked goods through the local market. My Grandfather buys broken electronics, fixes them, and resells for a profit. My Aunt is one of those "craft" ladies who makes and sells anything you can imagine at craft fairs. [My favorite thing is those dough christmas ornaments. The big moola is garden art though, FYI. She gets a booth at the Flower and Garden Shows.] My cousin makes bead jewelry in her spare time that she sells through local Hallmark stores as well as a booth at holiday craft fairs.

Feeling Inspired? I hope so.
#9 of 58 Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am the internet sales manager for a vitamin company. I love the job, and so far I am able to get it done while still taking care of and spending time with DS. I worked for the co for 6 years before I got the job, and I think they promoted me to make me happy as much as for my skills. 3 women in my CO all had babies in the last year and we all now have work from home jobs.
#10 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 04:13 AM

I have two eBay stores. I've been selling on eBay on and off for 10 years & it can be great for part time cash at part time hours. I've done it as a full time job since 2003 though, so it takes a lot of time but its really flexible.
#11 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I do surveys for pinecone research its only 5.00 per survey but it's a couple a month and 5.00 is more then what I started with so!

E wife to G,  and mama to R hearts.gif, A autismribbon.gif, and E femalesling.GIF 
#12 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 08:33 AM

I clean our church. I take my four year old with me (and the big two when they aren't in school). It takes me between 3 and 6 hours a week (depending on if the big kids are around to help by emptying wastebaskets, gathering up junk left behind in the pews, etc.) and I earn $340 a month. Not a ton of money, but to a single SAHM every penny counts!
#13 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 09:36 AM

I do home daycare and publish a nature based curriculum that I sell and use in my own program. I also sell wooden playstands that DH makes when he is not working his FT job. I now only do daycare three mornings per week during my playgarden program... could you possibly cut back to part time hours?

Little Acorn Learning - Celebrating the Seasons with Children - Monthly Guides for Homeschool and Childcare - Visit Our Website and Our Blog
#14 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 PM

I sell Pampered chef. My kitchen is loving it!LOL I make about 70 dollars a show so far, but since my sales are still low (gotta learn to sell the big stuff) I only sell about 400 a show. My director makes about 2500 a month, and her average is 400.00 a show but it's a full time job for her.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#15 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 03:05 PM

I dont do anything right now, but I have been thinking about it more often.
#16 of 58 Old 08-21-2007, 03:22 PM

Since ds was six weeks we have working 1-3 days a. I started out with my cousins three year old daughter. It was a little tough but we managed. Then we did out of home for a month 2 days a week. It was tough getting out of the house but great to get out. For may and june we took care of a 3 month old, ds was 8 months when he started. The first couple weeks were not bad, but after was tough. He was ff fed and I would be bf ds and bottle feeding my charge. Lesson learned: NATURE WOULD NEVER ALLOW YOU TO HAVE CHILDREN FOUR MONTHS APART, therefore I should have taken on an older child or one the same age. Now we work for my old nanny clients 1-2 days a week. It is for a couple of hours but it always messes up ds's nap routine. I need some good ideas. I sold pampered chef for two years long before ds. It was fun and I made decent money; but I am still nursing ds 11 months and plan on it till he is at least 2. I am a birth doula as well, but dh is afraid to be with ds for long periods. I have been approached by 5 + mamas, but dh won't let me do it. All of the mama's were fine with me taking my nursing breaks. I do not know what to do.....:

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#17 of 58 Old 08-22-2007, 09:01 AM

I do petsitting w/an established business in my area. I love it! Dh is a teacher, so I do only evenings and weekends during the school year and then lots more in the summer. I have been almost working full-time this summer while he's home with the kids. I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a little money. A word of advice, though - make sure you are working with someone who is established, trustworthy and dependable. That could make all of the difference.
#18 of 58 Old 08-22-2007, 11:38 AM

I make a few dollars here and there writing for Associated Content. I did babysit for a while, once a week, and would do that again. It really helped with groceries!
#19 of 58 Old 08-22-2007, 12:51 PM

I babysit for one additional child (my cousin's baby) and I work almost everynight doing paperwork for a business that my FIL, DH and BIL own together.

My husband sells used books on-line for extra cash, in addition to his "day job."

We are praying that eventually we will be able to open our own brick-and-mortar bookstore. A guy can dream, can't he?
#20 of 58 Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM

I demonstrate and sell Stampin' Up merchandise. I have not been doing it very long, so haven't made any money, as I've spent it on my hobby, but am hoping to really pick up the pace in the next month or two. I am also going to make cards and whatnot to sell at at least one of the local craft bazaars this fall.

Crystal
#21 of 58 Old 08-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm the minute taker for some local school boards. I get $50-80 per meeting. Meetings are in the evening, and typically last 2-3 hours. I have 5 regular meetings a month, plus some special extra ones.

I've also done a bit of web design and tutoring.
#22 of 58 Old 08-22-2007, 09:44 PM

I used to babysit for my friend. 2 children but my dd started hitting because they did. I got really stressed so my husband told me to stop. I did =). They were running low on $ anyway so it worked out.

Now I am thinking about making diapers and wipes and selling them locally or on ebay. I already started purchasing the material.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#23 of 58 Old 08-23-2007, 02:49 AM

I have been able to make money on (of all things!) the stock market.!! I have virtually no investment experience, with the exception of putting money into my work retirement plan. I read a book by author, Phil Town, called "Rule #1", watch as much CNBC as I can during the day, and listen to Jim Cramer on Mad Money for investing advice. I pulled $30,000 out of my retirement account, and put it in an ETrade account that I opened. After reading the Rule #1 book, I put my money into some well researched stocks, and watched my money grow. I've made enough to stay at home with my 4 children, and not have to work as an Labor & Delivery RN (which amounts to $1600/month). There have definitely been bad market days, this past month of August especially!, but there are also many great UP days on which I make enough to stay home. If I can do this, anyone can. Why let mutual fund managers make money on your hard earned cash, when YOU can direct where you'd like to invest your funds.???!!! This has allowed me to STAY HOME WITH MY CHILDREN!!! which is what I'm sure many of you would love to do as well. There are many good books out there on beginning investing. I liked the Phil Town book, as it was easy to follow - very basic, black and white information, but you can choose from any number of sources to gather your information. Also, look at CNBC online to get up to the minute information on the markets. After a while, you'll find yourself understanding what moves the markets from day to day, and how you (just a little, stay at home mom investor) can also make money. I pray you all can make this work for you, as I have been able to. Blessings!!

Wife to : , mommy to : : , love doing all the : : :
#24 of 58 Old 08-23-2007, 04:56 AM

I've recently started selling Usborne books. I love them so it's a very easy sales pitch to make. At 20% commission I've made about $50 on the two parties I've done so far, and later this week I'll be selling books at a literacy fair. It's great that I get to choose my own hours. The other night I had a couple of ladies over looking at books and DD climbed into my lap and nursed to sleep while I was talking. Now *that's* my idea of earning money while being accessible to my kids!

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
#25 of 58 Old 08-23-2007, 07:51 AM

I make a small monthly stipend from my church for typing up and printing the weekly bulletin. Not much but nice to have a little extra in my pocket when I cash that check.

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
#26 of 58 Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 PM

I do online tutoring (and mentoring new tutors) while the kids are napping or in bed at night ~ perfect job for me! I've also done home-bound education for local students who have an IEP but can't be at school temporarily for one reason or another.
#27 of 58 Old 08-23-2007, 06:35 PM

Nope.

But I have become really skilled in extreme couponing. This morning? $35.14 saved with coupons.
#28 of 58 Old 08-25-2007, 04:28 PM

I've been selling formula samples that they keep sending me on craigslist!

and Ebay.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#29 of 58 Old 08-25-2007, 07:50 PM

I teach fiddle lessons: http://www.cavanfiddle.com
#30 of 58 Old 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM

I have a web and wholesale based jewelry and bead design business. I sell mostly through ebay, but have several wholesale accounts with retail bead shops all over the country for my beads as well as a bunch of boutiques selling my finished jewelry. I also do custom pieces for fund raisers like local bands and sports teams..and YAY I just got 2 commissions, one from USA today and one from the NFL!!!

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page