Talk to me about being a "put together" SAHM! - Mothering Forums
1 2  3 
Stay at Home Parents > Talk to me about being a "put together" SAHM!
captain crunchy 03:01 PM 09-09-2007
Hi mamas!

I realize lately I am a total ragamuffin (techical term ) with regard to being polished or put together. I have fallen into the harried SAHM look -- you know, throw yourself together, hair in a ponytail, shirt has a stain on it...no biggie, you're only going to the grocery store.... you're not a woman anymore, you're a MOM! (kidding of course)

I don't like it!! I want to be put together! Now, I am a pretty natural and laid back person who is active with our 27 month old toddler so I am not talking high heels and pearls like June Cleaver -- but I am wanting some ideas for self care routines and wardrobe options. Now that dd is nearly 2.5, she plays more independently -- giving me at least time to actually shower *almost* daily ...


Tell me how you stay *put together* --- right now we don't have the cash for weekly pedicures and the like (but believe me, when we do.... lol) Right now I do that myself which looks pretty good.

Do you have a system? A list you check off? Wardrobe?

PS we live in Florida so I don't need winter wardrobe suggestions!

Thanks!

BlueStateMama's Avatar BlueStateMama 03:15 PM 09-09-2007
I take a shower and blow-dry my hair every morning before DH leaves for work, that helps a lot. I keep my nails filed short and I buff them. I always wear make-up, but it's light and natural looking. I'm very casual, but a funky necklace or bangle or earrings make me feel pulled together. I have a lot of shorts from Old Navy and I bought some cool tank type tops (most are empire-waist and kind of funky.) I found mine at Kohls (they're online too) - they have some interesting tops at nice low prices.
That Is Nice's Avatar That Is Nice 03:21 PM 09-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStateMama View Post
I take a shower and blow-dry my hair every morning before DH leaves for work, that helps a lot. I keep my nails filed short and I buff them. I always wear make-up, but it's light and natural looking. I'm very casual, but a funky necklace or bangle or earrings make me feel pulled together. I have a lot of shorts from Old Navy and I bought some cool tank type tops (most are empire-waist and kind of funky.) I found mine at Kohls (they're online too) - they have some interesting tops at nice low prices.


That is my routine for dressing up! I feel pulled together then. Most days, though, I just can't seem to find the time to do that, as much as I wish I could. DC whines if I take too long showering, getting dressed, and brushing my teeth.

My husband sleeps in until the last possible second before he races out the door to get to work on time so there's no leisure to our mornings where he could watch DC while I take some time to get ready.

Ah, well. The times I've actually dressed up in nice clothes, DC usually ends up staining them somehow and I wish I'd just worn my old clothes that day. Such is the life of a mom, I guess.
hotmamacita's Avatar hotmamacita 03:21 PM 09-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Hi mamas!

I realize lately I am a total ragamuffin (techical term ) with regard to being polished or put together. I have fallen into the harried SAHM look -- you know, throw yourself together, hair in a ponytail, shirt has a stain on it...no biggie, you're only going to the grocery store.... you're not a woman anymore, you're a MOM! (kidding of course)

I don't like it!! I want to be put together! Now, I am a pretty natural and laid back person who is active with our 27 month old toddler so I am not talking high heels and pearls like June Cleaver -- but I am wanting some ideas for self care routines and wardrobe options. Now that dd is nearly 2.5, she plays more independently -- giving me at least time to actually shower *almost* daily ...


Tell me how you stay *put together* --- right now we don't have the cash for weekly pedicures and the like (but believe me, when we do.... lol) Right now I do that myself which looks pretty good.

Do you have a system? A list you check off? Wardrobe?

PS we live in Florida so I don't need winter wardrobe suggestions!

Thanks!
Okay, here's my put together SAHM list....

1. send children off to college
2. go shopping


That Is Nice's Avatar That Is Nice 03:22 PM 09-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmamacita View Post
Okay, here's my put together SAHM list....

1. send children off to college
2. go shopping

Oh my goodness! Too funny! I am still laughing!

:
captain crunchy 03:23 PM 09-09-2007
Thanks! I usually shower at night (and do shower most days so I am not completely gone) and in the morning I manage to throw my hair up in a ponytail. I keep my nails filed and buffed but don't do polish or anything on my hands because well --- it stays for about 5 seconds without chipping and I am pretty natural as it is...

I suppose I need help in two big areas:

wardrobe -- I want to find that balance between a toddler-friendly wardrobe but one that doesn't look like pajamas

and routine -- I find that I am a hot mama for like three days in a row then there is a slow backslide... I need something simple with a few steps that I can do every.single day (barring illness or something else important that would prevent it)...

Keep the suggestions coming
That Is Nice's Avatar That Is Nice 03:28 PM 09-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post

I suppose I need help in two big areas:

wardrobe -- I want to find that balance between a toddler-friendly wardrobe but one that doesn't look like pajamas

and routine -- I find that I am a hot mama for like three days in a row then there is a slow backslide... I need something simple with a few steps that I can do every.single day (barring illness or something else important that would prevent it)...

Keep the suggestions coming

Me, too! I can "pull it together" for a few days, but just can't keep it going long term...I don't have the time or the energy...

I am very interested to hear where other moms find their wardrobe and what they wear, too.
Kwgrlup's Avatar Kwgrlup 03:51 PM 09-09-2007
Here are a few thing I do:

I have very long hair, so I got some long side bangs cut so that I can throw my hair up in a simple pony tail. Then I just flat iron the side bangs, and I look put together.... I have also discovered the world of simple cute skirts. They are very practical for me to wear as a mom to the park, store, and anywhere else. I think I look a little more put together with a skirt and nice cotton shirt or tank top, then shorts and the same shirt. Plus, with a skirt you can still get away with wearing flip flops or other casual shoe and look dressy. I use the mineral make-up, very easy and quick to use to put on. I dye my eye lashes and eyebrows myself (with a kit I buy at Sally's, so that once cover-up is on, a little lip gloss and I am good to go.
BlueStateMama's Avatar BlueStateMama 04:10 PM 09-09-2007
In hot weather I wear a top like this http://www2.victoriassecret.com/comm...VIL&rfnbr=2220

(without the extreme cleavage push-up!)

and shorts like these. http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/produc...scid=435349022 I'm a flip flop girl, but an outfit like that with some silver hoop earrings and some bangles and you're pulled together, but casual. I paint my own toenails and they're always some shade of red.

If I can't shower before DH leaves, I'll bring the kids in (they're 2 and 4) and bring in some little bucket - they'll make bubbly, soapy water in those and dump it on each other. I keep my hair in an easy to do style, but one that's a little edgy (I'll sacrifice length for a style.) I can blow-dry and style my hair within 10 minutes. Like I said, my make-up routine is fast. I use the Bare Minerals stuff too - I buff some on, add blush, eyeliner (I'm blonde with brown eyes and I use a plum-y color) black mascara and some shadow. Bare Minerals has some awesome ones that make your eyes look polished, but not made up. I use a tinted lip balm (Benetint lip balm is awesome - a sheer rosy color. It's spendy but lasts forever!) My whole make-up routine takes under 5 minutes.

One thing I do is in the later afternoon, I freshen up a bit (usually we've been playing outside a lot) I brush my teeth again, throw on some more deoderant, and put on some lip gloss. It takes 2 minutes and I feel a lot better about how I look.
LilyGrace's Avatar LilyGrace 04:23 PM 09-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post

I suppose I need help in two big areas:

wardrobe -- I want to find that balance between a toddler-friendly wardrobe but one that doesn't look like pajamas

and routine -- I find that I am a hot mama for like three days in a row then there is a slow backslide... I need something simple with a few steps that I can do every.single day (barring illness or something else important that would prevent it)...

Keep the suggestions coming
For wardrobe, I find comfortable, fitted pieces. Right now I'm in a simple Gap cotton tee and dark denim jeans. I can find the same comfort in my raggedy sweatshirt and sport pants, but it makes me feel better about myself when my clothes compliment me.
Dark pants hide the stains I get kicking the soccer ball around the park, simple tops I can layer hide the "let's cook lunch together" inevitables. I keep a white cotton light jacket in the hall closet for grabbing to go out - it's light enough for summer and the brightness of it makes it look like I'm on top of things (even if I'm really not!)
phathui5's Avatar phathui5 05:13 PM 09-09-2007
If you have a Body Shop store near you, the lady working is usually happy to help you pick out makeup and give tips on a simple routine.
BetsyS's Avatar BetsyS 06:52 PM 09-09-2007
I make an effort to take a shower and get dressed before dh leaves, too. It seems to make our day run smoother, even if I'm only doing stuff around the house.

Maybe your dh would think about getting up earlier? In my house, we get up around 5:30 or 6:00 so that we can have a leisurely morning (I can drink a cup of coffee without beating off a small child; dh can play with the baby a little bit so that his day starts pleasantly). Then, dh leaves for work at about 7:00 or 7:30. It seems to work well for us.
madskye's Avatar madskye 07:14 PM 09-09-2007
I work from home part-time, but relate to your post!

I'm not as put together as I should be, but I made some bold moves forward this summer...

I started wearing my hair curly. Turned out I needed mousse, circa 1984 to tame my curls. Who knew? I wash my hair a few times a week, it's super curly, and I pull it back on top with some tortoise clips. It's never frizzy now!

I wear light skirts, too, a lot in the summer, and I invested in some nice khakis from JCrew. I've been wearing both with camisole tops, or more fitted t-shirts. I was looking larger than I really am.

I started wearing my jewelry again...bigger earrings, necklaces, etc... DD is 28months so she's not likely to break them now.

I also wear the mineral makeup. I don't always wear it at home, but I make a big effort to put it on in the car once DD is strapped into her seat. It makes a HUGE difference in my looks. It takes me about 90 seconds to put on.

I'm still workin' on it!
captain crunchy 07:25 PM 09-09-2007
Thanks for the tips mamas! I guess I just need a kick in the pants. I am awesome at applying make-up and pulling myself together when I am going *out* or to a nice event (like that ever happens ) but for every day, I find myself just shlepping around in step-above-pajamas clothing, no make-up, and hair pulled back... I should make a list or something (the visual seems to help me) ...

I do have mineral make-up and I love it (the powder stuff) -- I think maybe putting a small list on the inside of the medicine cabinet may help? Sort of reminding me to actually DO it... because I know how to do it, I just.. don't

I do need to revamp my wardrobe though, because I do find it difficult to be hip and stylish while still being toddler friendly. I know how to be hip, I know how to be toddler friendly, I just don't know how to do both

Thanks again everyone!! I love reading about everyone's routines!
~PurityLake~'s Avatar ~PurityLake~ 07:36 PM 09-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain crunchy View Post
Hi mamas!
I realize lately I am a total ragamuffin (techical term ) with regard to being polished or put together.
I have fallen into the harried SAHM look -- you know, throw yourself together, hair in a ponytail, shirt has a stain on it...no biggie, you're only going to the grocery store.... you're not a woman anymore, you're a MOM! (kidding of course).
I don't like it!! I want to be put together!
Now, I am a pretty natural and laid back person who is active with our 27 month old toddler so I am not talking high heels and pearls like June Cleaver -- but I am wanting some ideas for self care routines and wardrobe options.
Now that dd is nearly 2.5, she plays more independently -- giving me at least time to actually shower *almost* daily ...
Tell me how you stay *put together* --- right now we don't have the cash for weekly pedicures and the like (but believe me, when we do.... lol) Right now I do that myself which looks pretty good.

Do you have a system? A list you check off? Wardrobe?
PS we live in Florida so I don't need winter wardrobe suggestions!
Thanks!
That bolded part....that's how I looked prekids, too.
I just don't care that much about fashion, never wore heels, not into makeup, and I like my hair long, but hate it in my eyes, so I usually put it up with a bandana, ponytail, or headband.
I shower with my 27 month and 12 months old girls, to save time, and besides, they wouldn't let me shower (or do anything alone) anyway.
Skin care: I occassionally apply lotion. I only wash my face with water. I tried honey, but it totally dried out myskin.
My clothing system is, if it's dirty, I throw it in the washing machine.
If it's clean, I wear it.
Ruthla's Avatar Ruthla 07:37 PM 09-09-2007
I have a rule that clothes have to fit, be flattering, and be comfortable on me, or I don't wear them. Most of my clothes come from a thrift store, but they still fit properly, match each other, etc.

It's amazing how "less schlumpy" I look when I'm not wearing baggy clothes all the time. It doesnt' take any longer to put on a non-stained blouse or T-shirt that fits than it does to put on an old raggedy T-shirt a size too big.

I don't wear pants at all for religious reasons, so I have a variety of skirts. A couple of knit (t shirt fabric) straight skirts that I wear with long sleeved solid colored t-shirts, a couple of printed rayon full skirts that I wear with solid blouses, and a gray cotton/spandex "chino skirt" that I wear with solid or printed blouses, and one straight button-front jumper that I wear with a solid blouse (the one that's looser fitting through the waist and less flattering when worn alone.) I cover my hair for religious reasons so my "hairstyle" is a ponytail or bun with a hat over it. I have a few hats that match various outfits.

Knit skirts, or full skirts, make it easy to sit on the floor with toddlers (when I had them.) Any 2-piece outfit is easy to nurse in, although I did wear my tops a bit looser when I was nursing than I wear them now.

My skin care routine is just to wash my face once or twice a day. I'm not a makeup person.
MonTana Mama's Avatar MonTana Mama 07:55 PM 09-09-2007
I thought I was put together-but am doing waaaay less than most of you. We live on a farm and often don't go anywhere each day. I was using Bare Minerals, but gave up-DH says he doesn't like it anyway and I often forget to wash my face. Now I just wear Suncreen and wash my face when I shower, which isn't everyday. I wear skirts sometimes. I make sure to change out of pjs-don't always want to, but usually wear Chore Clothes. Sometimes I wear something nice, but usually only when going to town.
mmace's Avatar mmace 08:06 PM 09-09-2007
I'm a single SAHM to three, so my time is very limited. I do make sure that I get up, cleaned up, and dressed every morning before the big two go off to school. I find that if I wait and do it later in the day I am more apt to just say "forget it!" If I don't shower first thing in the morning and get myself pretty and dressed, it just doesn't get done.

I'm a pretty casual girl - jeans, capris, or cute shorts and plain colored v-neck t-shirts are my staples. Flip flops are a must, and I am soooo not looking forward to the snow falling!

I'm very minimal in my make up - just eyeshadow and mascara every day, lipgloss if I'm leaving the house. I do try to keep my toenails painted pretty but fingernails just need to be clean and filed. Oh, I'm planning to treat myself one morning this week (my daughter just started preschool three mornings a week) to a pedicure at the local beauty school - it will cost me $6 but make me feel like a million!

Very minimal jewelry too, I wear the same necklace, watch and earrings every day.

I find though that if I feel pretty I have a much better day. I've been dating a wonderful guy for the past three months and it has done wonders for how I feel about myself. When my husband walked out my self-esteem was pretty much shattered - and it took me almost four years to even go on a date. I was asked out many times in that time though, so I guess I wasn't letting myself go too much! Oh, and I've also dropped about ten pounds in the last couple of months (and want to drop another 15ish) - who knew that making out burned up so many calories! ;-)
Peony's Avatar Peony 08:39 PM 09-09-2007
I am usually put together, but over the winter when I was house bound with DD2 I slipped big time, and am just getting back on track. I've found that after my coffee, I have to go upstairs and get ready, or else it's too easy to say forget it, and I end up walking around with my hair sticking up every where all day. I also don't allow myself now just to throw on a pair of sweats and say I'll get really dressed later, when I get dressed, I put on clothes that I'm not ashamed to leave the house in.

I don't have time for a shower every day so I take one every other day. I wear sunscreen (fair skin), and Bare Minerals make up every day, it just takes a minute to do. I wear bangs now so I can hop out of shower, towel dry my hair, blow dry my bangs for a minute, and I look more put together then just my long straight hair.

Another vote for skirts here. I tend to buy about 3-4 low cost, either new or new to me shirts every season. They are pretty stained by the end of summer or winter, so they become my old shirts and then I start over again. I like simple, fitted tees, they look good with a skirt or even with jeans I look together. I have a couple pairs of decent jeans and shorts, I either wear sandals or nice clogs in the winter, and I'm good to go.
its_our_family's Avatar its_our_family 08:42 PM 09-09-2007
After 2 years of working I;ve been a SAHM again for 2 days so I have lots of advice.

Of course...I never figure out how to be a put together working mother either.....

Oooooo, the thing I did, which might be really extreme....I cut my hair totally off. I can't pull it back. It has to be fixed, well, it can be left too, but I found it helped quite a bit to get out of a certain rut.
captain crunchy 11:13 PM 09-09-2007
Thanks for the replies mamas!!

I appreciate the down to earth, *doable* routines that most of you have! I am a pretty casual, natural woman so I am happy to realize that it really is just a matter of me getting off my butt and doing a couple more (simple) steps.

The big theme seems to be to start the day dressed which is my big downfall. I am typically a jammies-until-I have-to-go-somewhere type person, then I am too busy getting dd's things ready and can't be bothered doing much to myself when I go out. I suppose my goal is to always look *decent* --- not embarrassed if someone were to pop by. Mostly for myself, as I rarely get a "pop in". I just think it will help me feel more energetic and attractive and part of the world (even if I am not going out that day) to start the day off looking presentable!

I think I am going to start getting up before dd --- we cosleep and she typically gets up around 8am -- so If I even woke up at 7:15 I would have time to shower, brush teeth, do a simple something with my hair (nothing major, I am natural to begin with), and throw on some mineral powder and lip gloss. I can even have a cup of coffee in that time too.

Yay, it will be an awesome self care routine which sadly, many mamas (including me!) are lacking!

Thanks and always open to hearing more!
pauletoy's Avatar pauletoy 12:14 AM 09-10-2007
Girl, I just wanted to say that I feel put together if I have time to use shampoo AND conditioner. It's like a day at the spa!
TattooedMama's Avatar TattooedMama 09:54 AM 09-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by its_our_family View Post
Oooooo, the thing I did, which might be really extreme....I cut my hair totally off. I can't pull it back. It has to be fixed, well, it can be left too, but I found it helped quite a bit to get out of a certain rut.

I just did this. I wacked my long pony tail mom hair off on Friday. It is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Everyone loves it. It's a Posh Spice bob. That was a great thing to do because I had fallen into the ponytail mom trap. Now honestly even if I don't do my hair every day, even short greasy hair looks funky and edgy!

I also wear a lot of skirts, knee length or above the knee for summer. I shop the Gap or Old Navy clearance racks, or my friends and I trade clothes as our postpartum weight fluctuates. I have only a few pairs of shoes but they are worth it for the ones I've got. My signature look includes red Dansko Mary Janes. They make any outfit look polished.
I'm not a makeup person anymore but my toes are always polished ( I don't think I've seen them naked since I was 11) and I always wear colored Burt's Bees lip gloss.
I'm trying to work on my jewelry right now, I'd like some special silver bangles or bracelets.
I hope the OP gets some ideas, I did!
TattooedMama's Avatar TattooedMama 09:58 AM 09-10-2007
Oh! I just want to add one thing from The FlyLady... she says get up and get dressed every morning including your shoes. It really makes a difference in my energy level and willingness to be ready to go to the park or if someone calls and wants to meet for coffee or whatever. I also wear my watch and jewelry even when at home in the house.
That Is Nice's Avatar That Is Nice 10:57 AM 09-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauletoy View Post
Girl, I just wanted to say that I feel put together if I have time to use shampoo AND conditioner. It's like a day at the spa!

:
That Is Nice's Avatar That Is Nice 11:01 AM 09-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
I just did this. I wacked my long pony tail mom hair off on Friday. It is AWESOME!!!!!!!! Everyone loves it. It's a Posh Spice bob. That was a great thing to do because I had fallen into the ponytail mom trap. Now honestly even if I don't do my hair every day, even short greasy hair looks funky and edgy!!
IMO, short hair does help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMama View Post
or my friends and I trade clothes as our postpartum weight fluctuates.
This year I became aware of clothing exchange parties where friends gather and trade "new to you" clothes.

I love that idea. I cleaned out my closets and gave clothing to friends who I thought might like certain items.
That Is Nice's Avatar That Is Nice 11:17 AM 09-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I make an effort to take a shower and get dressed before dh leaves, too. It seems to make our day run smoother, even if I'm only doing stuff around the house.

Maybe your dh would think about getting up earlier? In my house, we get up around 5:30 or 6:00 so that we can have a leisurely morning (I can drink a cup of coffee without beating off a small child; dh can play with the baby a little bit so that his day starts pleasantly). Then, dh leaves for work at about 7:00 or 7:30. It seems to work well for us.
Oh (is there a wistful smilie??? Insert it here.)

I would love, love, love if DH and I could have a routine of getting up at 5:30 or 6:00 to have a leisurely morning before work. We could eat breakfast, maybe DH could play with DC a little, and I could have time to take a shower and get dressed before DH heads to work.

I've pleaded with DH to do this but he is not a morning person at all. He sets his alarm for the latest possible time and then flies by the seat of his pants to get ready for work and out the door. If something comes up in the morning off schedule, he is late for work, and irritated, but this is the way he's always been. He works long hours, too, so it makes for a very long day at home with DC.

I am a morning person. I love getting up early, having breakfast and planning out my day and setting out early to get things accomplished. I'd love to have a morning self-care routine, but it doesn't seem like it's in the cards until I go back to work and DH can drop DC off at daycare, perhaps.
mommy2abigail's Avatar mommy2abigail 11:45 AM 09-10-2007
Hey CC! Nice to see you again! I need major help in this area too, since I seem to have fallen into the stay-in-jammies-till-the-last-second-then-get-too-busy-with-dd-look too. One thing I started doing, since I shower at night (or bathe with dd) is put on the shirt I will wear the next day. Now most of my things are t-shirts, and the like, so they are pretty comfy for bed too. But I try to get rid of stained stuff, and I try to get shirts that look somewhat flattering. The the next morning I just have to put pants on. I usuallly pull my hair back into a ponytail too, so no help there. I tried the whole make-up thing, I did it for a few weeks, but got out of the routine and haven't gone back. Maybe just some chapstick with a bit of tint in it? That would be quick and easy. Abby loves chapstick so she reminds me to put some on in the morning. She also is very into perfume as of late, so we put a touch of body spash on too. One thing I did do recently that helped a ton was to get rid of all my stained/holey/faded clothing. I decided I'd rather have just a few nicer looking items than a bunch of yucky looking stuff. I also did a clothing swap with a friend recently too. We wear the same size, and even though it wasn't 'new' clothing, it was new to me, and gave me a little variety in my wardrobe. I still have that harried toddler chasing look about me, but I'm working on it. You know what though, I'll love you in your stained shirt! We can be messy together and maybe start a new fashion trend! :
astrophe27's Avatar astrophe27 12:31 PM 09-10-2007
I shower at night. I'll just sleep in the clothes I'm wearing tomorrow (if it's a gym day, backyard garden day, housekeeping day). In the morning all I have to do it bra and shoe myself. I'll lay out my nicer clothes if I have church, errands to run, visits to make, etc. Then I will change into the whole thing as soon as I get up.

If I'm going to clean house or garden, there is no jewelry and it's my rattiest pair of sneakers and T-shirt/shorts combo. They don't even have to match! The only thing I put on is sunscreen. The kid can wear any crazy thing she wants -- pajamas with butterfly wings, stripe tights with polka dot dress whatever!

If I am leaving the home -- even just for groceries, I put on matching, and nicer T-shirt or button down blouse with shorts or nice jeans. I'll swap out for my best pair of CLEAN sneakers or some cute sandals. I will also put on casual jewelry and Bare Minerals Make-up. When I was much younger I could get away with just a swipe of lip gloss but I've accepted that I'm in my 30's now, and I have to put a wee bit more effort on my face. I keep a wash and go haircut -- but if going out I'll run some mousse through it. I still just buff my nails to a shine and don't bother with polish.

The child also has to dress more decent. Clean shoes, a T-shirt/shorts set that actually matches. I want her dressed to play still, but her BEST play clothes -- not ones with holes or stains.

All my clothes have a life span with me. A shirt can go from nice enough for church with a skirt ---> regular going out on errands clothes ---> wear around the house ----> backyard chore clothes. It's the same with my shoes, pants, etc.

I really like Bare Mineral make-up. It's made it so much easier for me to put on liek I know what I'm doing! So that's a splurge I'm willing to take and a little lasts a long time.

I really like www.silvershake.com -- I can get nice looking/unusual silver jewelry for relatively cheap so I don't have to worry about it getting lost or banged up in play with the kid or something. But I put together amethyst earrings, ring, necklace set that looks awesome together with a "grown up dress" for swankier occassions. There's no way I could afford that carat size set in gold!

Basics like T-shirts I like getting at Target. Yes, I want nice clean ones, but no, I don't want to spend a lot because my kid is 3 and forever dribbling things on me.

I've taught myself to sew making DD's cloth diapers, so I branched out and got "Sew What? Skirts!" for learning to make myself skirts. It's funny how just swapping out the shorts for a skirt while keeping the T-shirt and sandals the same can elevate an outfit!

HTH!
A.
captain crunchy 12:40 PM 09-10-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2abigail View Post
Hey CC! Nice to see you again! I need major help in this area too, since I seem to have fallen into the stay-in-jammies-till-the-last-second-then-get-too-busy-with-dd-look too. One thing I started doing, since I shower at night (or bathe with dd) is put on the shirt I will wear the next day. Now most of my things are t-shirts, and the like, so they are pretty comfy for bed too. But I try to get rid of stained stuff, and I try to get shirts that look somewhat flattering. The the next morning I just have to put pants on. I usuallly pull my hair back into a ponytail too, so no help there. I tried the whole make-up thing, I did it for a few weeks, but got out of the routine and haven't gone back. Maybe just some chapstick with a bit of tint in it? That would be quick and easy. Abby loves chapstick so she reminds me to put some on in the morning. She also is very into perfume as of late, so we put a touch of body spash on too. One thing I did do recently that helped a ton was to get rid of all my stained/holey/faded clothing. I decided I'd rather have just a few nicer looking items than a bunch of yucky looking stuff. I also did a clothing swap with a friend recently too. We wear the same size, and even though it wasn't 'new' clothing, it was new to me, and gave me a little variety in my wardrobe. I still have that harried toddler chasing look about me, but I'm working on it. You know what though, I'll love you in your stained shirt! We can be messy together and maybe start a new fashion trend! :

Hi! : You always looked great when we hung out!

I pm'ed you... let's be put together moms next week and get together!



Thanks for all the replies mamas! Well today I am not feeling too great (time o' the month ) but I did shower last night -- and today when I woke up I put my hair into two fishbone braids on the sides, put on a clean shirt and clean yoga pants, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and put on a bit of burts bees tinted gloss. I feel great I can at LEAST do that every day lol
1 2  3 

Up