Working from home?? SAHM? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a SAHM but I know that in a few months I may need to search for work due to the obvious, financial reasons. Are any of you stay at home moms currently working out of your home? What options do I have here??? I really want and need to be here for my son but we also need to be financially stable.
#2 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 04:12 PM

I'm looking for something to do from home too. I've signed up for Payperpost where they pay you for posting on your blog on their topics, I've heard that you can make some money on that, but I need to wait and see.

Jess Mama to Doodle 12, Bubby 10, K Shay 8, Boo 6, Monkey 4 and, Bear 1.

#3 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well you have your direct sales businesses you can try but that almost always involves an up front cost and no guarantee that you'll make money.

Then you can look into the "get paid to" stuff for some quick cash but its not anything you can depend on for a long period of time. Look in the wahm well about this stuff.

You can also start your own business. What marketable skills do you have? Can you baby sit? I write and publish books, and am also a certified childbirth educator and have a business teaching childbirth and new parent classes... however, since just having a baby I'm taking a short break from the extended series classes (cbe mostly) and just teaching smaller classes/demonstrations. If you can sew/craft you might be able to sell your wares. Check out the WAHM well and just beware of scams if you get into working for others from your home.
#4 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 05:27 PM

http://www.esmartmed.com/

This business is run by aquainteces of my ILs, and my SIL is just about finished with the training. I'm using my MGIB now, but I will likely start training in the fall.

You have to pay for the training (by chapter, not all at once), but you get reimbursed after two years employment with e-smartmed.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 11 Old 09-10-2007, 09:00 PM

Subbing

I am very interested in this topic. I would LOVE to work from home. I have been looking for a legitimate opportunity to do so, and hopefully in a field I am trained in or interested in, as well, for over a year now.

The pickings are slim...

However, be cautious about working from home. I know two moms who did that and it is not all it's cracked up to be. You might end up spending a lot of evenings and weekends playing catch up at work.
#6 of 11 Old 09-11-2007, 02:49 PM

its true that working from home is really like having two full time jobs going at the same time because you're watching the kids, cleaning up after them, and working all at the same time. Its hard to focus sometimes, but I usually try to work when the kids are sleeping. I take advantage of naptimes, and weekends as well, though I try to avoid working when hubby is home as much as I can since I dont see him much.

I agree that you should see what marketable skills you have to be able to make some money.

I know some moms do paper routes and can wind up making decent money that way, and can either take their kids with them for the ride in the car to deliver papers, or get it done before the kids wake up in the morning.

How about tutoring students in your home in the afternoons?

If you are a good cook, you can get a food handlers permit and look into the regulations for your city and state for being a food distributor, and bake for local coffee shops or restaraunts.

How about using skills for certain crafts and opening up an ETSY shop?

You could list a bunch of things on cheapcycle too. I made about $500 last month just getting rid of some clutter (nothing fantastic - just your average stuff)

Ebay works for that too

You could have a garage sale

If you are good with the sewing machine you could offer to do seamstress work for local clothing shops as well.

If you sew well, you could also do some clothing revamps from used clothes and sell them at boutique shops or online.

Do you know how to massage? you could go on location when hubby is home, or have clients come to your house for massage

You could make lunches and snacks and go around to offices taking orders for prepared items. Packaging would be the key here to make your items look appealing and sell. You could take the kids with you in a wagon through the offices to take orders from a prepared menu and keep your food items in the car to go out and get after people place their orders

you could talk to real estate agents, lawyers, or other businessmen about doing mailings for them. They would provide the supplies if you fold, stuff the envies and take it to the post office for them. You could charge per hour or per # of mailings.

You could teach classes for the skills you have... how about etiquitte, sewing, painting, photography, scrapbooking, knitting, crochet, cooking, homemaking, budgeting, etc.

there are a few ideas... hopefully that helps some!!
#7 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 09:48 PM

I was able to stay at home initially by freelancing.. then I opened a nature base childcare and now I write and publish a monthly nature "curriculum" for childcares, parents and homeschoolers.

Have you thought of doing daycare? It is hard but rewarding work and allows to you mother while making an income.

Little Acorn Learning - Celebrating the Seasons with Children - Monthly Guides for Homeschool and Childcare - Visit Our Website and Our Blog
#8 of 11 Old 09-14-2007, 11:39 PM

I just started doing daycare too. I do part-time care so that it stays fun for me and the kids. My daycare is in its infancy, but so far its fun, and so nice to finally have a little second income again to start chipping away at the debt we accrued during my last stretch at home.

Before that I did some work in the telecommunications industry. They have many regulatory agencies that require regular reporting and that seems to be a niche for SAHM's. I found it was too boring to tear myself away from the kids and/or online forums though Plus I found working from home with a deadline oriented job to be stressful. My quality time with the kids and with dh took major hits. Not to mention my sanity and time for myself.

And if you just had your babe, and still have contacts - maybe you can work from home for your old employer?

If you are willing to leave the house:
I lead kayaking trips on the weekends sometimes. The pay sucks, but it is a real break that comes with a paycheck.

I know a mom who works the very early shift at a cafe and is home in time for her husband to leave for work around 9.

I have been doing fill in childcare at a dance studio. I watch the teacher's kid. Its another thing where the pay sucks, but my kids have an AWESOME time there because we get to run around in one of the empty dance classrooms or the gym.

There was a thread not too long ago on the working moms forum re searching for part-time work that is actually rewarding and satisfying. You may get helpful WAH advice over there too.

Good luck!

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#9 of 11 Old 09-15-2007, 02:30 AM

I met a mom in VA who went to yard sales and goodwil/salvation army and consignment shops, bought kids' clothes for dirt cheap and then sold them on Ebay. People will often spend more on Ebay than what the clothes are worth. She made decent money doing that, even after the buying the initial stuff.

I demonstrate Stampin' Up products, though I've not made any money yet. I tend to break even. I have made back my initial set-up ($200) and my hobby pays for itself. I am looking at doing some of the local craft bazaars, though to earn some more money and get more clientele.

I have also known several ladies who would work for a couple of nights a week after DH got home so there was always someone with the kids.

Crystal
#10 of 11 Old 09-15-2007, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I make decent money doing part-time childcare in my home for three different families. I met one family through craigslist, one through MDC and another through a babysitter referral website.

I average $75 a month in money from online surveys. I've also won good stuff by entering contests at ww.online-sweepstakes.com I paid for the kids' homeschooling stuff this year by selling something I'd won.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#11 of 11 Old 09-15-2007, 10:15 PM

A friend of mine buys stuff at yard sales/flea markets then sells the stuff on E-bay and makes ~$300 a month. She just cut off her long hair and sold it on E-bay!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page