Do you drink while your kids are awake? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Do you drink while your kids are awake?
I do not drink alcohol. 81 18.00%
No, I do not drink while the kids are awake. 68 15.11%
occasionally 205 45.56%
often 72 16.00%
daily 14 3.11%
other 10 2.22%
Voters: 450. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-08-2007, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...And I don't mean a glass of wine with dinner...I'll sometimes have a beer or hard cider while cooking dinner or in the afternoon during naptime while the other boys are busy. I have to admit that I would have thought this was appalling with my first son, but I've relaxed considerably over time. Anybody else?

To clarify--I mean when you are home alone with the kids. I guess that's why I chose the SAHM forum for this poll. My husband is often home weekday mornings, but I'm talking about when you are the primary responsible parent.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2007, 07:36 PM

I do. As a matter of fact, I just had a corona with lime.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 10-08-2007, 07:37 PM

Well, I almost always have wine with dinner and sometimes have a cocktail pre-dinner. When we have guests for the afternoon and/or evening I've been known have more than one or two... However, I rarely drink when I am alone with the kids, just in case I should need to drive to the ER or something. And since my DH doesn't drink at all, there is always someone sober at home in case of an emergency. But that would be my only concern for light to moderate drinking. Now, if you are drinking a lot, every day, or because you "need" to, that would raise some other concerns.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Sure. Dh sometimes brews beer and we'll have some in the afternoon or evening. When we go to parties where alcohol is served, I'll "partake," but only one or two. Obviously, I'm not going to drink a lot while I'm taking care of my kids, but neither of us views moderate consumption of alcohol in front of the children as a problem. is that what your question's about?
Old 10-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Banned

I have no qualms with drinking alcohol when my kids are awake...or even in the same room.

I don't think there is anything wrong with occasionally drinking alcohol, and to do so in hiding from my kids, to me, would indicate that I think I have something to hide.

I want to be able to teach my kids that it is possible to enjoy "adult beverages" responsibly and that not everyone who drinks a beer is an alcoholic (as their dad's grandmother would like them to believe).
Old 10-08-2007, 07:44 PM

We often have wine with dinner, or beer at a BBQ or when friends come over for pizza. Some evenings I'll have a cider while cooking or dh will have a beer while watching tv. We certainly don't "drink to extremes", and those drinks aren't every night, but yeah... we drink while the littles are awake.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 10-08-2007, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure do. Never saw a reason to hide drinking from children.

"The true measure of a man is how he treats a man who can do him absolutely no good."
peace.gif  Embrace the learning that is happening within the things that are actually happening!    
Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM

Alcoholism runs in my family so I avoid alcohol like the plague, because I'm so terrified of becoming an alcoholic. The few times I have drunk alcohol since being a mom, the kids were always asleep, at night, and it was social drinking (not drinking alone).
Old 10-08-2007, 08:04 PM

Never when I home alone with the kids...I just don't like drinking alone.

Busy mom and loving it... dd (2/03), ds (6/05), dd (8/07), ds (12/09), ??? due 5/12

Old 10-08-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnschoolnMa View Post
Sure do. Never saw a reason to hide drinking from children.
:

Sometimes I'll have a glass of wine or a beer when cooking dinner, especially if the recipe calls for it.

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
Old 10-08-2007, 08:20 PM

I dont think there is any reason to hide alcohal from kids. I saw my parents/family drink wine with dinner almost every night, and I personally hate the stuff. That being said, I chose 'I do not drink while the kids are awake' because if I am going to drink, it is going to be hard liquer and it's for the purpose of getting a bit tipsy. On the very few occasions that dh and I go out or I go out with girlfriends (once since dd was born!) I will drink and even have a smoke (well, not now that I am preggo) and I only go out with them at night after dd is asleep. I dont drink beer or wine because I don't enjoy the flavor, but if I did, you bet I would have one in the afternoon!! I NEED one on days when dd isn't napping!:
Old 10-08-2007, 08:32 PM

I had a glass of wine while making dinner this week( I opened the bottle to use in a recipe)... My hubby was working late all week. Pretty tame I know!
Like Meowee, my folks are heavy drinkers. I don't like drinking that much either... besides I have stomach issues and even a drink or two sets me back a couple of weeks in healing.

:
Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Very rarely when not pg. I will have a beer or glass of wine on New Years or if the occasion calls. It's *really* rare, though.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 10-08-2007, 08:35 PM

Yes.

A beer sounds so good right now, too...

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

Old 10-08-2007, 08:38 PM

Occasionally. I don't drink all that often anymore in general, but I have no problem having a glass of wine or a beer if I'm alone with DS. I wouldn't have more than one though because I'm a lightweight.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM

I put "I do not drink alcohol". I used to, but I didn't the whole time I was trying to conceive, pregnant, and nursing, which ended up being over 6 years and my dh does not drink alcohol, so I just got completely out of the habit and never got back into it.

Adele geek.gif, Mommy to Adelia hearts.gif7/31/2000, wife to Rod fuzmalesling.gif, and co-owner of Max dog2.gif

Old 10-08-2007, 08:48 PM

I, too, come from a family with alcoholic predisposition. I don't think I would be drinking at home, alone, while dd's up and around OR in bed sound asleep. If something happened... I don't want to imagine the consequences of having a blood-alcohol content if something happened (home-invasion, housefire, dd getting hurt accidentally, etc.)... and having to get to a hospital or being interviewed by police or something...

I was in a crash with dd when she was a baby (totally sober...) and the news reported that I was 'most-likely' intoxicated, even tho I hadn't even been tox-screened when they reported it. My family saw the news and actually started calling my hospital room when I was released from ICU into Trauma, ranting and raving about "What were you thinking?!" etc (hypcrites)... So, alcoholic-predisposition and THAT give me strong feelings about alcohol and drugs and kids... tho I recreationally partake on occassion and in very secure scenarios...

If we have guests over for a special dinner, we might have a bottle of wine among the 3-6 of us. Or it might be Corona with a special Mexican dish... soemthing of this nature.

I voted occassionally, since I have had a beer or wine while I make dinner, or something... but it's so rare. And dh doesn't drink but a glass of wine MONTH maybe, and only recently even starting acquiring a taste for it.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganf View Post
To clarify--I mean when you are home alone with the kids.
I chose no because I don't do it while at home by myself w/ ds. I just dont' trust myself that incase of an emergency I'd be ok to drive after one drink (sometimes I'm so busy I forget to eat lunch... no drink on an empty tummy would not be good for me).

However, if DH is around I'll have a glass or two of wine, or a beer or whatever. But if you can handle a drink when you're by yourself, more power to you
Old 10-08-2007, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
Sometimes I'll have a glass of wine or a beer when cooking dinner, especially if the recipe calls for it.
:

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 AM

I voted "occationally" & then read your OP about wine with dinner. I'd say 90% of my "drinking in front of the kids" would fall into that category.

Very occationally, I'll have Bailey's in my coffee in the am & SIL have coctails together some evenings while the kids are playing. I hardly, if ever, drink during the day.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:06 AM

I drink ONLY if DH is home, and expected to be home for the next few hours.

God forbid something happened and I alone had to take care of Katie, I would NOT want any impairment whatsoever. Alcohol can hit me funny (sometimes 3 drinks does nothing, other days, 1 drink gets me tipsy).

However, if DH is home, I have no problem having a beer and telling DD that beer is for older people.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 AM

Yep I will have a beer or glass of wine in the afternoon sometimes.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:37 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Only if I share it with them.

Seriously, my daughters drink more alcohol than I do. We have wine every Friday night, I have one sip and the girls each have half a glass. Saturday afternoons we each have a tiny cup (1 oz) of wine at shul.

If I drank more alcohol than that (I don't like how I feel when I consume it) I would have no problem drinking with the kids around. But then, my kids are bigger now. I don't see anything irresponsible about having a serving or two of alcohol while caring for babies or young children- as long as you're not "getting drunk."

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 10-09-2007, 01:11 AM

I put often - but I don't drink when I'm home alone with the kids. I have been enjoying a drink with dinner lately though.

I can also see myself having a glass of wine while I cook dinner, while waiting for DH to get home and eat. But this has not actually happened.

We also have friends over almost weekly for dinner and there is alcohol served at dinner, then the kids go to bed, then more alcohol is served. I have no problem with that.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 AM

I don't drink without other adults around, but, sure, I'll drink in front of the kids if we are having a drink with dinner or are at a BBQ and having beer or something.

If I started tossing back a drink in the afternoon to cope with being a SAHM I'd know there was a problem.

Mostly sane mother to twins.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 AM

I think it would depend on whether I was willing to let my kids sample whatever I was drinking. We generally don't eat or drink anything in front of the kids that we're not willing to let them try once they're old enough to talk.

Since I don't drink, this doesn't actually come up in my life.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
When I drink a glass of wine it is usually after the kids have gone to bed, but I have also had the occasional glass while cooking.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:35 AM

I sometimes do, but I just open a beer or pour a glass of wine when my dh calls to say he's on the way home. Then I've usually only drank the neck out of my beer before he gets here. I'm the same as the others, I don't want to be woozy if there were an emergency. Plus, dh and I used to be huge partyers, and when I got pg, we made a pact that neither of us would be drunk at the same time again. Little did we know that we'd hardly ever be drunk again. I've been so impaired that I couldn't drive once since having dd, dh probably a handful.

Mommy to kids

Old 10-09-2007, 01:45 AM

I put "daily," but I only drink if DF is home/on the way home. I'll have a glass of wine while cooking or with dinner, or sometimes while on MDC after everyone is sleeping.

Never in the middle of a weekday too cope with vacuuming or anything like that.

I come from a long line of alcoholics and heavy drinkers, so I am pretty aware and feel that I would be honest with myself if it was a problem.

love.gif

Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
I drink ONLY if DH is home, and expected to be home for the next few hours.

God forbid something happened and I alone had to take care of Katie, I would NOT want any impairment whatsoever. Alcohol can hit me funny (sometimes 3 drinks does nothing, other days, 1 drink gets me tipsy).

However, if DH is home, I have no problem having a beer and telling DD that beer is for older people.
Same here. I worry that I will have had a beer or two, and dd will have a normal childhood accident (fall off a chair or something) and need to go to the ER. I don't drive if I even had one drink. Sure, I can have the ambulance come, but usually our insurance won't cover that unless it is something major. And I still wouldn't want to go to the ER smelling of alcohol. That may put up some red flags to send CPS sticking their noses into our business. So I wait until dh is home, and then only one of us drinks at a time.

User Tag List