Income Poll - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What is your annual household income?
Less than $20,000 30 5.95%
$20,000 to $29,000 44 8.73%
$30,000 to $39,000 64 12.70%
$40,000 to $49,000 53 10.52%
$50,000 to $59,000 62 12.30%
$60,000 to $69,000 61 12.10%
$70,000 to $79,000 37 7.34%
$80,000 to $89,000 28 5.56%
$90,000 to $99,000 24 4.76%
$100,000 or more 101 20.04%
Voters: 504. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 200 Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Just adding a poll because it seemed there was some interest in having one on the other thread. I think the OP's original question was: What is your DP's salary?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 200 Old 10-31-2007, 11:47 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I voted based on last years income after our taxes were done. This year we will be in a new tax bracket... WOOHOO...
DP got a promotion. Yea for us. that is gonna make for a much better christmas and now we can start affording to go more natural with food too...

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

#3 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 AM

We are pretty comfortable right now, slightly above out state's median household income. BUT, when my first child was born and I become a SAHM, DH's salary was less than half of what it is now.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#4 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 05:55 AM

Wow, $100K + a year? Any commenters on that? There's 16 voters so far...
#5 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 AM

I went with less than $20k based on the question of what is my DPs salary, because I'm a single stay at home mom. Based on annual household income, I would be just a smidge over $20k.
#6 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 10:39 AM

I'll bite-$100k a year isn't as much as you think it is for some areas of the country with high costs of living. 6 figures is NOT what it used to be!!
#7 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 AM

I voted at 100k because we don't pay for our health insurance and dh gets bonuses and his employer contributes to his 401k every year ...if you add all of that with his salary it is around 100k ....and I agree it doesn't go as far as I would like but we are comfortable
#8 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heket View Post
I did a rather kind of thing over that too. I mean I know MDC tends to run a little more towards the affluent than the average, but still ...
#9 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Wow. That boggles my mind. We are at the very bottom end of 20 000 to 29 000. And are happy we aren't lower. No wonder so many people on here can afford pretty diapers, tons of slings, etc. And a house. (We rent)

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#10 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 AM

I'll also bite on the six figure votes. My husband's salary not including benefits is in the low six-figure range. We live in an average cost-of-living area but we have two kids on the autism spectrum and only one's services are covered through the state's department of developmental disabilities. Medical and therapy expenses for the other are really high and things are actually kind of tight for us right now. I'm going back to school so I can get a job earning a decent salary (my field before SAHMing was as a network admin and it's changed so much; I didn't keep up) so I can help out in the future.
#11 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I voted in that category -- DH and I make a combined income of about $110k/year, which sounds like a lot to me too when you write the number out, but we're struggling to pay the mortgage on our 2-bedroom condo and have had to dip into our savings the past couple of months.

We're not extravagent by any means -- we rarely go out to dinner, we don't drive new cars, we haven't been on a big vacation since our honeymoon ... sadly, $100K just doesn't go as far as you'd think in some areas of the country (we're in Orange County, CA).

#12 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 12:02 PM

If you factor in our investments we are over $100,000. But most of the investments we cant touch, so I voted for the $80,000 range. We are very comfortable. Both cars are paid off, little to no credit card debt, and our mortgage is 1/4 of our salary.

7/09 at 7 weeks - love you peanut
#13 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 12:03 PM

So I have to ask, everyone who posted saying their household income is over $100K also pointed out that they are struggling in some way, or don't have new things, or aren't extravegant. What is wrong with making a good income? Why do you guys sound almost guilty about having money??
#14 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 12:04 PM

We're in the lowest ATM...It'll triple or more next school year since DH will be done with school and woking.
#15 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 12:18 PM

We are right at the 6 figure number as well. I dont feel bad for our income since we have worked hard to get to that point. I live in a suburban metro area so my COL might be higher than some other parts of the country. Housing can be a huge eater of your income. For us, its not be because we bought our first home 10 plus years ago and sold it for a huge profit that we sunk into our new home. So our payment, property taxes etc only went up $350 monthly. Also, our benefits are paid by dh's work so that also helps. If we had to pay out money for benefits and more money towards our mortgage, it will send me right back to work.

We live quite simply. We have no debt, cook from scratch etc and since I am home with our girls, dh has had the chance to improve his career to the point that we are now making only a few thousand dollars less then when I quit my job 6 years ago.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#16 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
So I have to ask, everyone who posted saying their household income is over $100K also pointed out that they are struggling in some way, or don't have new things, or aren't extravegant. What is wrong with making a good income? Why do you guys sound almost guilty about having money??
Hmm, I don't feel guilty nor do I think anything is wrong with making a good income. I was just merely pointing out some of our expenses like others on the thread have done. (Hmm got this thread confused with one in working/student mommas, no one in this thread prior to my post was listing expenses. Oops!)
#17 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM

We make 72 a year, but his health insurance is included with that and if you pay mine and DS its down to 65. If we moved to CA DH could easily make between 100-130 but the cost of living is so high we couldnt own a house and rent on a 3 bedroom house is around 3500 a month.
#18 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 02:32 PM

We're in the 100+K catagory too. That is before taxes, and keeping in mind I live in Canada, it's a healthy chunk out of it. We are comfortable, but we do pay a mortgage, we don't go on fancy vacations yearly (maybe once every 5), or have a lot of expensive toys or things-we're pretty low maintenance, we are fortunate in that we can invest and store away for retirement and the kid's post secondary, and have paid off things like our car or other loans, which we wracked up while getting to this point. Also being of the political, spiritual, social stripes we are, we also do donate a bit.

I don't feel guilty because it was a long hard road to get here, but I do feel the need to clear up any potential misconceptions about how we spend our money.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#19 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 04:03 PM

I voted over 100k. We are very comfortable. We don't struggle. And...I don't think we worked 'hard' to get here. We are both college educated (me, 4 year degree; dh, MBA) and he has a job he *loves*. We own everything we have outright except our home, and we're making some pretty mad progress on the mortgage since we recently sold in FL and moved to the midwest. We have health insurance, retirement funds, college funds, and other investments.

How did we get here? We're lucky. We were born into privilege and are whole in body and sound of mind. We had help with college and a down payment from our affluent families. We've never had a medical catastrophe or disabled child or natural disaster happen to us. We are fully aware of our good luck and privilege and thankful for it every day. We both work hard to make sure our children are aware of it too, though I don't want to be 'preachy' to them I do want them to appreciate their good lives.

It kills me to see people say 'we're well off but we worked hard for it!' because I know people who work their @sses off every day but are trapped in poverty nonetheless because of their lack of the privileges I enjoy. I know I don't 'work harder' than anyone else. I do think of myself as motivated and driven to succeed but I know the truth to my financial success is largely due to luck and circumstance. We give what we can charitably in both money and time and encourage our children to give of themselves too, because we know that we don't 'deserve' what we have, and those we would help don't 'deserve' not to have what they don't, ya know?
#20 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 04:07 PM

$36,000 gross income.

How the heck have I saved money?

:

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#21 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaMama View Post

It kills me to see people say 'we're well off but we worked hard for it!'
because I know people who work their @sses off every day but are trapped in poverty nonetheless because of their lack of the privileges I enjoy.
I know I don't 'work harder' than anyone else.
I do think of myself as motivated and driven to succeed but I know the truth to my financial success is largely due to luck and circumstance.
We give what we can charitably in both money and time and encourage our children to give of themselves too,because we know that we don't 'deserve' what we have,
and those we would help don't 'deserve' to to have what they don't, ya know?

Good post.

I often think I'm 'lucky' because I have few health problems.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#22 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
I don't feel guilty at all; it's just that when you tell someone you make over $100k/year they get preconceived notions about the type of lifestyle you must lead, and I was pointing out that although our income is high, we don't lead what I would consider to be a monetarily wealthy lifestyle.

If you notice, the posters who wondered about the $100k thing early in this thread talked about MDC's "affluent" population, "no wonder so many mamas here can afford such-and-such," etc. Making a certain income does not necessarily mean that those things are true -- I wanted to paint a more realistic picture of how far $100k really goes for some people, which is not as far as most people think if you live in a high cost-of-living area.

#23 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I voted over 100k. We are very comfortable. We don't struggle. And...I don't think we worked 'hard' to get here. We are both college educated (me, 4 year degree; dh, MBA) and he has a job he *loves*. We own everything we have outright except our home, and we're making some pretty mad progress on the mortgage since we recently sold in FL and moved to the midwest. We have health insurance, retirement funds, college funds, and other investments.

How did we get here? We're lucky. We were born into privilege and are whole in body and sound of mind. We had help with college and a down payment from our affluent families. We've never had a medical catastrophe or disabled child or natural disaster happen to us. We are fully aware of our good luck and privilege and thankful for it every day. We both work hard to make sure our children are aware of it too, though I don't want to be 'preachy' to them I do want them to appreciate their good lives.

It kills me to see people say 'we're well off but we worked hard for it!' because I know people who work their @sses off every day but are trapped in poverty nonetheless because of their lack of the privileges I enjoy. I know I don't 'work harder' than anyone else. I do think of myself as motivated and driven to succeed but I know the truth to my financial success is largely due to luck and circumstance. We give what we can charitably in both money and time and encourage our children to give of themselves too, because we know that we don't 'deserve' what we have, and those we would help don't 'deserve' not to have what they don't, ya know?
I think your response is very thoughtful. Dh and I both grew up in families that struggled financially but there's more to "class" than money. A required reading for a class I'm taking right now is "A framework for understanding poverty" by Ruby Payne. What you're saying jives with what she says in her book- especially the part about working hard people= larger incomes which just isn't true. She lists other factors that contribute to your "station" in life.
We make just over $20,000 but I still would consider us middle class because of the resources we have (family support (and not necessarily financial), access to information, access to education, etc.).
While it's challenging living in our income bracket I don't feel like we're lacking. I think people generally live within their means (or not). What I mean is: if we made a million dollars a year we'd probably spend at least 3/4 of a million a year on whatever. Because we make a little over $20,000 we spend a little under that. It's all relative.

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#24 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:

This touched me. Thanks for writing it. I and my husband worked hard to pay our way through school and life, and we have had huge financial setbacks, and feel pretty poor now. I have an advanced degree and years of experience in my field, but am staying home with my child. A combo of bad luck (being born poor too!) and life choices has made us pretty poor, especially for our age group.

C'est la vie.
#25 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I work and DH SAH. I make $8.35/hr but with all the OT and plasma money I get we make about 25 k a year. Last year DH made about 29 k. We are low income but we have noo debt annd keep our bills down. We are very comfortable.

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#26 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 PM

we're right around half of six figures in a very expensive "cost of living" area. so we pretty much struggle to pay the bills and groceries and still have something left over to be able to have some fun. we really need another income but I can't see going back to work for another 3-4 yrs (dd has special needs).

we get quite a bit of help from family (well, from my side of the family).

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#27 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Yes there have been polls on this before in this forum. The average SAHM here on MDC comes from a much higher income bracket than the average american. Overall MDC is white/ middle/ upper middle class, judging from income polls I've seen here and on other sections of the board..
#28 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM

We are right in the middle of the listed incomes, but we live in a higher than average cost of living area. So really that amount doesn't goes as far as it looks like it would unfortunately. We are very frugal in most areas, but we are big into saving our money for a few quality items here and there. I think our money makes it us as "comfortable" as it does because we probably have a different idea than the typical family as to what are necessary expenses.

FWIW, it is extremely hard to really get the big picture from polls like this IMO. Cost of living varies SO much from area to area!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#29 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 08:58 PM

we are between 60-70. We have 5 kids so while we get by....
#30 of 200 Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 PM

Thanks ladies for responding. I was curious since we're a single income family coming in at about $60k this year. We're just getting to where we can get by and have a small savings. We have debt that we're slowly working down and getting our credit back in line. We also rent and right now the thought of a house seems so far off on just one income...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page