Do you care for any children that aren't yours? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 12-06-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Starting in Jan. I am going to be caring for 2 girls 4-5 days a week to suplement my income. One is just ds's age and they get along great. The other is 12. It would be some day shifts and some evenings ( until 7:30pm) The $$ is pretty good considering the amount of time I have to put in.
Their mom is willing to enroll her dd into any activities that I put ds into. ex. swimming lessons, art group etc. She also has no concerns about me taking her dd anywhere I need to go, shopping appointments etc. I will be able to book days off with 2 weeks notice and will know the schedule a month at a time. She will find an alternate caregiver for a month after I have this babe.
She is 100% ok with how I parent/eat and maintain my household. We are in agreement about discipline/naps/food/play activities etc. She is definately more mainstream than me but welcomes the more nateral ways I have in my house.
What do you think?
Any concerns I should consider?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 12-06-2007, 09:28 PM

I used to watch my nephew four days a week for 10 or 11 hours a day. It was OK at first but then he started being picked up late on a regular basis (without a phone call) and I couldn't take him anywhere. They also wanted me to keep him on a strict schedule and let him CIO so obviously it did not work out. Now I watch my friends baby just 2 days a week for a few hours and I love it. My friend is more ap than my nephews parents. My DS loves when his friend comes to play.
Babysitting is a great way to make extra money as a SAHM as long as you,your children, the kids you are watching and their parents are all in sync. It sounds like you have already got some good policys worked out too which is always a good idea.

love.gifSara, mom to J (10/06) H (10/08) and E (5/11) love.gif

#3 of 18 Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 PM

I run a nature based home daycare three days per week. I also have a naturalchildcare yahoo group that you may like to subscribe to for support... PM me if you'd like the link.

Wishing you the best.
xoxo
eileen

Little Acorn Learning - Celebrating the Seasons with Children - Monthly Guides for Homeschool and Childcare - Visit Our Website and Our Blog
#4 of 18 Old 12-08-2007, 01:26 AM

For about a year and a half, starting when dd1 was 6 months I, I watched another little girl (about 6 months older) in her home. It worked great for awhile, but I did start to get stressed out as they got older and starting acting like siblings - fighting over toys, etc. It's much easier to deal with those things when they're both your kids! Thankfully the mom was into AP and gentle discipline (I actually met her on MDC! ) so she was understanding and we worked through it. For awhile I helped when she had her second. I only left because I was having dd2. I actually still kept in touch and watched her kids occasionally until we moved out of the area.

I think it can be a great thing (dd1 STILL talks about and adores this little girl), just be prepared ahead of time for discipline problems, etc. Have an in-depth, typed out list of expectations of both ends. My one other compliant was (like with any job!) that there were days I wasn't feeling 100% and just wanted to stay home and sleep in my PJs with dd, but I couldn't.

Mama to our nose-in-a-book Autumn (6) & our old soul Molly (4)
Imaginative, fun jewelry & photography Shenandoah Sunshine
#5 of 18 Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 AM

i do too. some days are great and others (like today) i just want to say no more! UGH! i've had her since she was about 7 weeks old- mom had to go back to work. mom is a teacher so the days are great- only school days. so when my kids are home i don't have her and i can spend all my time with my own kids. and of course snow days and summers i have off too! she is now turning 3 tomorrow so i've had her for a while. she's a very obedient girl- listens to me just like mom. actually i think she gets away with more crap with mom! LOL mom has no issues with me going to the grocery store or anything around town with her. i even take her to our church play group. i used to take my son and she would tag along, but now my son is in all day 1 grade. well, she's used to it, and knows some of the other kids so we still go. mom provides the food so i don't worry about a thing there. there are days where i'll treat her and she just ends up taking her lunch back home, but that's fine with mom too. we've had no real discipline issues to date. she whines and cries for little things and i just tell her i'm not listening to her unless she talks to me like a big girl and it'll stop the behavior. or if she's having a particularly moody day i'll just tell her to go to her bed (her sleeping bag) until she's done crying. takes a few minutes and then she comes out and we'll talk. today was just yucky cause she peed all over the kitchen chair and the floor. just annoyed me. she tells me she has to go 99.9 % of the time. today she just didn't say a thing and peed all over and then cried after the fact. ugh! i'm more upset she just didn't tell me before hand. when i asked her why she just said "she didn't feel like going to the bathroom" UGH! but other than the very few accidents it's a good set up for us both. she is a good girl, mom and i get along, no discipline issues, my kids like her, i can still do my own thing and just bring her along and she likes me too. it is good money since i'm a sahm too.
#6 of 18 Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 AM

No, I don't and I don't want to, either
#7 of 18 Old 12-08-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Starting in Jan. I am going to be caring for 2 girls 4-5 days a week to suplement my income. One is just ds's age and they get along great. The other is 12. It would be some day shifts and some evenings ( until 7:30pm) The $$ is pretty good considering the amount of time I have to put in.
Their mom is willing to enroll her dd into any activities that I put ds into. ex. swimming lessons, art group etc. She also has no concerns about me taking her dd anywhere I need to go, shopping appointments etc. I will be able to book days off with 2 weeks notice and will know the schedule a month at a time. She will find an alternate caregiver for a month after I have this babe.
She is 100% ok with how I parent/eat and maintain my household. We are in agreement about discipline/naps/food/play activities etc. She is definately more mainstream than me but welcomes the more nateral ways I have in my house.
What do you think?
Any concerns I should consider
there are ALWYS things to worry about -- bt -- dang girl, I'd LOVE that gig........

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#8 of 18 Old 12-11-2007, 11:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've been doing childcare from home for over a year now. I've also nannied in the past with my own children along. While there are days that I wish it was just my four, our kids love having other kids over regularly and it's pretty good money.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#9 of 18 Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM

I HIGHLY suggest writing up a contract that spells out your policies on everything...hours open, rates (decide if you only have them pay when kids are there or are paying flat fee for the kid's spot), vacation (yours and theirs), fees if applicable for late payments/pickups, sick kids, late pickups (do you charge extra if they need longer care one day?), transportation, meals, who provides what (diapers, wipes, food, etc.), discipline issues, philosophy, etc. and both of you sign it. It can really help with avoiding problems later from one party assuming something the other did not intend. Also, keep good records of days/hours attended and meals provided. You can file for home business tax deductions that way (and for me, even if I did not make much, the tax deductions made it very worthwhile!). It can be a lot of fun and a lot of work. Good luck!

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#10 of 18 Old 12-14-2007, 01:36 PM

I am a nanny right now and would like to have a home daycare when we have kids, so I'm very interested to hear about people's experiences!!

Do you guys pay taxes on your earnings and keep things "legal" ?
#11 of 18 Old 12-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Do you guys pay taxes on your earnings and keep things "legal" ?
YES

see my Siggy

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#12 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 11:16 AM

I have been doing home daycare for about 5 months now and I suggest writing up a contract as well. It spells everything out and there are no questions later on down the line. I wished I had thought of that before I started. It made things a bit more difficult when one parent started taking advantage and I had to add it later on down the line.
#13 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well its not a daycare...only 1 set of kids. The money is set per month, paid to me directly by the government. There are alot of odd ball shifts but they would never extend past 8m. Older daughter can take younger child home and put to bed. The older child doesn't really need care, she would only be here on nights her mom works late to ensure she would have a proper dinner.
I would provide all food.

So what exactly would I want a contract to cover? I already know I can have off any time I need (grandmother can watch children when needed)

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#14 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 PM

I offer a moms morning off program and occasional hourly care in my home. We started in September and its taken us a while to find our rhythm and our clients, but slow and steady... Overall it is fun for my kids and I and I net as much as I did after childcare when I was working a job I hated part-time.

mom to a 7 year old lego fanatic and a 5 year old cross dresser
#15 of 18 Old 12-17-2007, 09:26 PM

Just responding to your thread question.

I don't babysit other people's children mostly because I don't like other people's children.

Sure, extra money would be nice, but besides not wanting to, our home isn't big enough for any more children.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#16 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 01:44 AM

I do watch a friend's DD a day or two a week for up to four hours. This is mostly so my friend can go to counselling and her DD can get some socialization. It's along story. I do it as a blessing to her.

My DS and her DD are 6 mos apart and get along rather well. Sometimes they entertain each other so well I actually get some cleaning done! They were both wearing my shoes today, and that was very cute!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#17 of 18 Old 12-22-2007, 01:59 AM

I've been babysitting one other girl -- same age as my daughter -- since they were 8 months (now they're 2.5). It's only once a week, 4 hours, and sometimes it's hard because it cuts into my daughter's naptime, but other than that it's been really wonderful for the girls and for me. I also sit for a friend's almost-3yo and 18-mo, and since they're in our building we're sometimes at their place and sometimes at ours (depending on what I need to do/how clean our place is). That's two or three times a week, and also totally wonderful (even if it does mess up bedtime occasionally).

In all, there are hard days babysitting just as there are in parenting, but now all the kids are like siblings (I mean, the ones that aren't ACTUALLY siblings) and the moms are really wonderful and good about being on time and paying more than fairly. We've been lucky, maybe -- but I'm glad I do it, even when I'm worn the eff out.
#18 of 18 Old 12-26-2007, 09:10 AM

I sometimes watch my 2 neices Alliana and Ceralyn, who are 4 years old and 11 months old. It gets hard sometimes, but always fun.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page