Mothering Forum banner

To TV-Free SAHMs (or even working moms)

2K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  Tanlines 
#1 ·
I didn't want to hijack the TV-Free Rollcall tribe thread, so I thought I'd post here. I'm interested in the TV-Free lifestyle for my 2 yr old (who has watched WAY too much tv in his life.) I just wanted to get some suggestions from you TV-Free families. I would love some ideas for beginning to cut back on tv time (he watches it when he wakes in the morning and after naptime.) We don't really have a problem redirecting his energy and pleas (sp?) for entertainment during the day.....he loves to play outside, I am a SAHM and love to play with him and his brother, etc. It's when ds1 is in his "I just woke up and am in a bad mood and don't want to do anything right now or talk to anyone" times when I feel at a loss. I am so clueless and reliant on the the TV....what else can I do during these times? I would love any info. and suggestions you all could give me. I would be forever indebted to you
if you all could help me move towards your TV-Free lifestyles!! I admire you for choosing that for your families from the get-go.

See less See more
#3 ·
Do they have their music? Ours like to play music on their boombox (I'm so old
) or books on tape.

Sometimes, ds (the scowly one) will sit on the couch all grumbly or go in the back to swing or climb trees.

Is your tv still out? It's so much easier if the tv is tucked away. Then the unfairness of why they can't watch tv because the tv is right there isn't added on to the already fussy mood.

#4 ·
Subbing cause even though we go TV-less during the day (before his daddy gets home
: ) there are times when he gets super fussy and that it is the only thing I have found so far to get him focused on something and calmed down, and would love to find something else rather then the TV.

#5 ·
Hi!

Going TV-free can be really difficult, especially when you've gotten used to using it in certain situations. It takes a surprisingly short time for kids to adjust, sometimes I think it's harder on the grown-ups!

As more time goes by (and they get older) they get more used to playing on their own for short periods too. I can tell my 20 month old now that I need to focus on her sister for a few minutes and here's XYZ toy, and some times it works.
Sometimes it doesn't and we all pile onto the couch for some cuddles and reading. Arts & crafts are another great distraction - if I set out paints, crayons, paper & play dough I can get a good hunk of time to focus on the other child or do the dishes.

I think the most important thing for me is to not thing of TV as an activity. We try to keep busy so that we're not tempted to pop in a video. They kids help me clean, we always have music on so everyone can break into singing and dancing at any moment, in nice weather we're almost never inside.

Goood luck!

#7 ·
Well my babe is younger (15 mos) so this might be completely irrelevant, but often he wakes from naps in a bit of a mood so I just pop him in the babyhawk and walk around/do little chores/etc. I think sometimes he's just not fully ready to engage the world by himself and this seems to work great for us. Is there anyway you can keep your DS close to you and let him wake up a little more slowly?

#8 ·
We are not completely TV free. My older kids watch TV on friday and Saturday night and DH and I watch thursday night TV. Most of the day when we are home my dd who is 3 does what ever I am doing or plays right by me. If I'm folding laundry so is she. When I'm making dinner she is sitting on the counter with me. When I shower she and baby sis are either in the shower with me or sitting in the bathroom playing. DD is also pretty grumpy when she wakes up. I usually just sit and hold her for a while or read a book and then she is ready to get up and go on with the day. I think you will find that at first it is hard to go with out the TV but then in a few weeks it will be like you never had it and the kids will be much better at finding things to do.

#9 ·
we don't have a tv, and that makes it easy for us (the grownups) to not have the choice. That is the reason we don't have one, we don't want the choice. We will see how it goes as the girl gets bigger. will she miss what she doesn't know?

#10 ·
I don't know if we're TV-free, because we do watch DVDs, and our DD (age 3) watches a DVD every few days.

One key for us is that we the parents never turn on the TV--if we want to watch something, it is always a movie, or a TV show on DVD. My DD does not even realize that you can turn on a TV and a show will come on.

I would suggest having lots of good books and making frequent trips to the library. Arts and crafts materials, dress up boxes, etc. Having your children help you with whatever you're doing.

To be honest, I am finding my 3 year old trying though, and I can see why people use the TV with their kids. I won't do that, because I think the negatives outweigh the positives, but I do see why people do.

#11 ·
southernmommy, thanks for that post. That is the first time I have laughed all day. A real one that is. I love that smiley. Back to post, Going tv free will take time and lots of adjusting. You could do it cold turkey but that would be way to rough for some. I would suggest trying different things until you find one that works for you. K, baby is getting upset so I will get back to this more later.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngieB View Post
We are not completely TV free...I think you will find that at first it is hard to go with out the TV but then in a few weeks it will be like you never had it and the kids will be much better at finding things to do.
We are not completely TV free either. However, when I am home during the day while my DH is at work, the TV very, very rarely gets turned on. I can count on one hand the times I have placed my child in front of a TV to watch kids shows. I have done it when I was really sick and I did it once when working on a project that needed to be done.

Let me just say that those times TV worked beautifully! So, I can totally see why parents use it!

I want to be "TV minimal" when DH is home. I am not opposed to watching specific shows and DVDs, but I don't like to have a TV on all day or all night as background. We're working on that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kate's Mommy View Post
I don't know if we're TV-free, because we do watch DVDs, and our DD (age 3) watches a DVD every few days.

One key for us is that we the parents never turn on the TV--if we want to watch something, it is always a movie, or a TV show on DVD. My DD does not even realize that you can turn on a TV and a show will come on.

To be honest, I am finding my 3 year old trying though, and I can see why people use the TV with their kids. I won't do that, because I think the negatives outweigh the positives, but I do see why people do.
:

#13 ·
We are mostly TV-free, my son is only 13 mos. so he watches none. DH and I watch occasionally at night.
Anyway, it might be easier to go gradually.. try replacing your daily "routines" that involve the TV with new routines. Maybe try just changing one "routine" at a time, like when they wake up. Maybe bring out something new for them to do when they'd normally watch TV, puzzles or books? Maybe invest in something "new" so it will be extra fun at first. Just an idea. After several days of *not* watching the TV in the morning, it should become easier. I think. Good luck!

#14 ·
We're a TV-free family, and when DS was that age he frequently woke up from naps in a mood. He was seriously cranky.

Here's how we handled it:

First of all, we realized that the nap crankiness was often due to very low blood sugar levels. Therefore, we prepared a glass of milk or some fresh orange juice when we heard him stirring and brought it to him so he drank it as soon as he woke up. That cut down on a lot of the post-nap crankies.

Another thing we used was the idea of slow waking up music. We put on a CD when he woke up and kept the room very dark for a few minutes. Honestly, if he was already cranky, that didn't do much, but sometimes it helped.

Finally we just planned as much immediate outdoor time as possible. The fresh air always seemed to help.

Good luck!

#15 ·
We are not tv free totally I am a sucker after the kids go to bed. i mean who can not watch ugly betty? LOL but during the day if theya re fussy I have a 3 and 6 yr old and an 12 month old. I wip out puzzles. I mean the 6 yr old shows the babies how to do it and then make most of te pussle and lets them do the last few peices (if it is a hard one). Once the 6 yr old goes to school the baby naps and the 3 yrold and I bake cookies (she LOVES to cook and her enthusiasm actually helps me want to learn more too) So we do that or read together. Sometimes mommy naps too. LOL I dont think it is so hard during the day since you can go places I find it hard at night. when everyone comes home from school and just want to veg out and NOT think for awhile. That is when I cave and let them have 30 minutes. By then they usually loose interest and go off to play together (animals now they pretend to be different animals in the basement and climb on the couches and stuff kinda cute if you can sneak and watch them) =)

#16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azuralea View Post
We're a TV-free family, and when DS was that age he frequently woke up from naps in a mood. He was seriously cranky.

Here's how we handled it:

First of all, we realized that the nap crankiness was often due to very low blood sugar levels. Therefore, we prepared a glass of milk or some fresh orange juice when we heard him stirring and brought it to him so he drank it as soon as he woke up. That cut down on a lot of the post-nap crankies.

Another thing we used was the idea of slow waking up music. We put on a CD when he woke up and kept the room very dark for a few minutes. Honestly, if he was already cranky, that didn't do much, but sometimes it helped.

Finally we just planned as much immediate outdoor time as possible. The fresh air always seemed to help.

Good luck!

Wow, great ideas!!!! Thank you so much. I let DS watch TV this morning, but I have a new set of stamps that I am going to pull out after naptime today (after snack of course!). we'll see how it goes!!!
: I have also been focusing on HEALTHY food today
hopefully, ds2 will still be asleep when ds1 wakes and i can cuddle with him (and listen to some relaxing music!!
) before pulling out the stamps. I'm going to focus on dropping this after-nap TV time first and then we'll see about the morning
here's to hoping DH goes along with it when he is home in the evenings!!! haha

#17 ·
My DD is only 6 MO so I don't have any activity suggestions...

But as for going TV-free, we simply got rid of our cable subscription. We were never heavy TV watchers, but we honestly don't miss it. The only time it's on (we do have rabbit ears) is when DH wants to watch a football game, but this doesn't happen too often. We are Netflix subscribers, but only watch movies when DD is down for the night.

#18 ·
The hardest thing about going TV free was to break my own addiction to "veg" at the end of the day. To solve that, I put the TV in the closet. If i want to watch something, I have to drag it out, plug it in, blah, blah, blah. It's a big pain, so I watch TV about once every 3 months.

I think it will help your DC if you put the TV in the closet too. Out of sight, out of mind. I also have at least 1 thing planned every single day. That helps break up the monotony and keeps things under control. I'll have a playdate, or go to the YMCA to workout and put the DD in the babysitting room for an hour or so. I think having alternate activities is a great way to go.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiroalltheway View Post
Wow, great ideas!!!! Thank you so much. I let DS watch TV this morning, but I have a new set of stamps that I am going to pull out after naptime today (after snack of course!). we'll see how it goes!!!
: I have also been focusing on HEALTHY food today
hopefully, ds2 will still be asleep when ds1 wakes and i can cuddle with him (and listen to some relaxing music!!
) before pulling out the stamps. I'm going to focus on dropping this after-nap TV time first and then we'll see about the morning
here's to hoping DH goes along with it when he is home in the evenings!!! haha
Glad you liked them!

How did it go today?

#20 ·
My 3yo loves to listen to "stories" on the computer (think books-on-tape). We downloaded a few short 10-14 minute children's stories from iTunes and he will sit entranced listening to them. Yes, he's technically in front of the screen, but I think listening to a story is so much more engaging than watching one. That's what I use when I need to keep him occupied or he's too cranky to interact with the world just yet.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azuralea View Post
Glad you liked them!

How did it go today?
Haha, WELL, he didn't even care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DS2 was awake, so I didn't get to cuddle with DS1 and ease him into the afternoon, but i just took him in the kitchen (where DS2 was playing) and we got a snack and sat at the bar together, talking to DS2. DS1 didn't even ask to watch TV. Okay, so huge guilt trip on my part.
I was totally using TV as a crutch for MYSELF. now, we'll see how the next few days go. i might have just gotten lucky
i am focusing (again) on the healthy snacks/meals and keeping his blood sugar in check like you said. thanks for checking up on me. i'm focusing on this after-nap TV time first and then next week will be the morning TV time...which could definitely be a different story! My DH didn't even turn it on in the evening either, so we watched it yesterday morning, and then kept the cabinet doors locked THE REST OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!
i'll keep you updated
(even if you don't keep checking, it will keep ME accountable.) thanks again.

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiroalltheway View Post
Haha, WELL, he didn't even care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DS2 was awake, so I didn't get to cuddle with DS1 and ease him into the afternoon, but i just took him in the kitchen (where DS2 was playing) and we got a snack and sat at the bar together, talking to DS2. DS1 didn't even ask to watch TV. Okay, so huge guilt trip on my part.
I was totally using TV as a crutch for MYSELF. now, we'll see how the next few days go. i might have just gotten lucky
i am focusing (again) on the healthy snacks/meals and keeping his blood sugar in check like you said. thanks for checking up on me. i'm focusing on this after-nap TV time first and then next week will be the morning TV time...which could definitely be a different story! My DH didn't even turn it on in the evening either, so we watched it yesterday morning, and then kept the cabinet doors locked THE REST OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!
i'll keep you updated
(even if you don't keep checking, it will keep ME accountable.) thanks again.
Good for you!!!

I'll check back if you do!

#23 ·
We aren't totally TV free either, but we don't really watch it. My youngest doesnt' at all, and my 3 year old has watched some, but never a tv show on actual tv. I mean, he has a Bob the Builder DVD that Grandpa gave him, that he watches on occasion, but he is (and I am) totally ignorant of childrens' programing. So he's not missing it. But of course, I am a real sucker for the Christmas specials, so he has seen a few of those, but since most aren't age appropriate, it's not a big deal. But what I usually find hard is that we listen to a lot of music, either cd's in our dvd player (we don't have a cd player) or to the satellite music on tv. So the screen has to be on for that. I have tried covering the tv with a blanket, but that turned out to be more distracting than just leaving it alone. But if my older son gets tired, he will get his blanket and sit on the couch and watch the line progress accross the screen that shows how much of the song is left. It drives me crazy. But we like our music, what can we do? Wow, this didn't help you at all, did it?

#24 ·
I think going TV free may be hard at first. But the eventual rewards!!!

One example -- yesterday, we were all stuck inside all day long (blizzard hit, with hail so it wasn't fun trying to be outside at all).

The girls played for literally 8 hours together and on their own.

They played pretend, dress-up, made pictures with stickers and crayons, dd1 read to dd2, they chased each other around, etc. Not once did they ask for a DVD (we do allow an hour a day of prescreened DVDs). Also, I have never heard either girl say that they were bored, or anything even close to it.

I wholeheartedly believe that if we were a TV family, the girls would have eventually wanted to sit down and veg for much of the day. Instead, they played together, read together, drew, created, bonded, had a fantastic time as sisters.

So from what I hear, breaking the TV habit may be difficult in the beginning (I think of it as an addiction). But keep at it!

It may help to get rid of the TV -- or cable, if you still would like DVDs. That way, there is no temptation.

#25 ·
We have been tv free for a long time, pretty much since I moved out of my parents house to go to college.

Some days are VERY long and tiring, but over all, I don't even know how we would fit time into our lives to watch tv now. It does get easier. I'd remove the tv so you don't see it and remember what you are going without.

#26 ·
We've always tried to keep the t.v. to a minimum. We've watched more lately, but had been without it pretty much completely up until this past Sept. It seems it is harder to balance computer time than t.v. time for us.

My youngest is 7, though, so we are beyond the much harder toddler stage. Back when they were little I read to them all the time. We sang songs and listened to alot of different kinds of music and stories on tape from the library. We played with Discovery toys and went for walks. I stayed at home and kept them on a consistent nap schedule so they always knew what to expect.

Now that they are older, dh and I marvel at how creative, imaginative & focused they can be. Once their schoolwork is complete they are able to play outside, build forts, work puzzles, read, listen to cd's, play uno, dominoes, etc....

My 7 year old spends hours drawing in his sketchbook. My 8yo loves observing little creatures outside. My 10yo is a k'nex freak and a bookworm. And my 16yo spends most of her time playing the piano and cooking.

We use Netflix to get dvd's that coordinate with our history & science lessons and borrowed a ton of classics from the library to watch throughout the holiday season. But throughout most of the year, they are only allowed to watch approved 'entertainment type' movies on Friday nights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.