Help, I think my baby is bored - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-18-2007, 02:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello there,

My little girl is 7 months old and I have been staying at home from day one. I am loving it (most of the time Anyway, over the last several months, my baby will fuss a lot while we are at home. We read every day and play outside in the backyard, we go for walks, and take baths, and swing, she like to jump and pet the dog. These activities will entertain her or a while but I think she is bored of the "same old, same old"

Basically, I am looking for ideas for different learning opportunities. What do you all do with your babies, while DH is working? I am running out of ideas and stamina

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 AM

Is she mobile? My son was/is very laid back, but dd started to get impatient/restless just before she started crawling and pulling up on furniture. Once she was able to get where she wanted, she was content (and into everything!) again. Maybe this is what's happening w/ your dd.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:34 PM

Have you been to any coffee shops or library storytimes? I know at that age my daughter really thrived being around other babies & children. I got her out every day, whether it was an organized event or just to the thrift store.

Get yourself a coffee & go walk around someplace new!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland
Old 12-18-2007, 07:48 PM

Do you wear her when you're home (sling, bjorn, etc.)? If she's fussy, that might help. You can clean and talk to her about what you're doing (egads, I'm more of a SAHM than I thought!!!) or listen to music and dance, fast music if you're peppy, slow music if you're tired. You can also include her in cooking--give her pots and spoons. She probably will be less fussy as she gets more mobile and that should happen pretty quickly.

Mama to three crazy, wonderful kiddos: dd1--12/2002, dd2--3/2005, and ds--3/2006

Old 12-18-2007, 10:29 PM

I was feeling like I was getting nothing done today and my almost 6mo was being so fussy. so I threw him on my back in the ergo and did the dishes and laundry, and he was so good. amazing! i wasnt sure I wanted to carry him around and do those chores but it went really well. just thought I'd share. When I notice my bub is getting antsy a walk always helps, I also started taking the bus, that is always an interesting way to get around town.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
Old 12-19-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadmom View Post
Is she mobile? My son was/is very laid back, but dd started to get impatient/restless just before she started crawling and pulling up on furniture. Once she was able to get where she wanted, she was content (and into everything!) again. Maybe this is what's happening w/ your dd.
Uh-huh DS was like that right before he learned to walk (9 mos). Wanting to be able to do something and not quite being able to get the hang of it can be frustrating (at any age )

I personally don't think babies can get "bored" if they have a parent or caregiver giving them attention. They don't need as much "stimulation" as we think, most of the time. As long as you're engaging her, I think boredom is probably not the problem. And you don't have to be going tons of places or being "entertaining" too much. A change of perspective within the house or just going for a walk is likely enough for most babies. Even at 3yo, DS2 is intersted in a cool stick or a bug I find in the yard - he doesn't need trips to the museum or baby einstein to be enthralled by something, yk?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:07 AM

mommy and baby exercise? I always look for new cd to play in the car. My baby loves music. I know she is a bit young but take her to interesting places buildings, churches (vaulted ceilings, stained glass).

I am sure she is just fine. My baby is 7 months old and he seems fussy all of a sudden too. But he has his older brothers to watch and keep entertained.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 AM

Go to the library and meet moms who are bored!

Although it's harder in the winter, when DS wasfussy this summer I put him in the meitai and we just Walked. that helped my stir crazies too.

Also bulletin boards in the grocery store, library or doc's office, can have mom's play groups too.

I also clean and do laundry with ds in the meitai.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
Old 12-22-2007, 02:34 AM

Look for a playgroup! When I was a SAHM the social opportunities were great for both of us. I get bored at home and my little girl loves being around people and other babies, so we joined a couple of mom groups.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:22 PM

I think as long as you aren't just in the house every day not interacting much with her, then it's ok for a baby to be bored. Boredom is a part of life. Things aren't go-go-go all of the time even though I know my toddler wishes they were. He gets upset when I'm cooking or trying to get something done but I feel that he needs to learn to entertain himself for short periods of time (I'm talking maybe 10-15 minutes at most). So, I'll help him find a toy or remind him of the cabinets in the kitchen he can play in and usually even if he is fussy for a minute, he quickly finds something to do. I think it can be a dangerous habit to get into to try to constantly have a baby entertained. I talk to Oliver the whole time I'm cooking or doing something else so it isn't like I'm ignoring him! I think balance is the key to this situation!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 PM

I don't think babies need "learning opportunities" so much as they need to be involved in daily life.

Since I find staying at home deathly boring myself, I do things like go to La Leche League meetings, playgroups, the library, museums (we have lots of free museums here), the grocery store, walks, etc.

My kids have both enjoyed being worn while out and about. As long as I was in motion, they were happy to look at the scenery and the people.

Sonja , 40, married to DH (42) since 5-29-93, DD born 11-3-2004, DS born 1-18-2007.
Old 12-28-2007, 03:51 PM

I always did mops with mine...they loved it but when we moved back to the usa I noticed that sometimes the mops mommies we judgemental about my lifestyle.

User Tag List