How to ask for a raise from the person I babysit for? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so here's the original post for which I never expected so many great responses! In fact, I revisited it many months back and was shocked to see many more people had responded and I didn't even know! But - that's besides the point!

I have a dilemma now because I really need to ask for a raise now. I put up with $5.50 for the summer and the fall. I've since started watching another baby on different days and she pays me twice as much as the original lady and has even expressed interest in me babysitting on the days I watch the other baby, if it weren't for the fact that I was already watching another baby on those days. Starting next week, the mom who I want to ask for a raise from wants me to start watching her baby for 8 hours vs. 5 hours a day, twice a week. I've become friends with her now, of course, and am totally stuck on how to ask without totally offending. I'm really good at making situations awkward and ridiculous by being too apologetic and sheepish so I need help! If I'm going to ask I need to ask now (should have asked a week ago but I keep procrastinating - bad!)

How do I ask someone who's a now a friend to pay me more without sounding greedy or competitive or something, while at the same time wanting to tell her I've just put up with what she's been paying me this whole time and I think it's practically unfair?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 02:07 AM

Just tell her you've been looking back over finances and you feel that the price you've been charging is too low. Especially if you've been providing food. I mean, isn't minimum wage close to or higher than $5.50 now?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:24 AM

Tell her with the start of the new year you are raising your prices and you hope that you can continue offering services to her.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"After looking over my budget, I have to increase what I'm charging you to ____"

If she can't do it and you need the money, I would take the offer from the other lady for those other days.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 01-04-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolyn's babies View Post
Tell her with the start of the new year you are raising your prices and you hope that you can continue offering services to her.
that I agree. If she says it wont work, dont worry, you already have the placement set.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice - I talked to her this evening about it using a combo of all of your responses - haha. I was a nervous wreck - dry mouth and a huge pit in my stomach. It turns out she had recently talked to her husband about giving me a raise. She even asked how much the other baby I watch give me and when i told her she was shocked. It was not at all awkward - I shouldn't have worried so much! Anyway - thanks! It turned out great and I got a hefty raise - yeah!
Old 01-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Congratulations!! I gotta give you kuddos for being able to watch your own child and someone else's. I just don't think I could do it, but the money does sound nice. Way to go!

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
Old 01-06-2008, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkish View Post
Congratulations!! I gotta give you kuddos for being able to watch your own child and someone else's. I just don't think I could do it, but the money does sound nice. Way to go!
Thanks! The jobs just kind of fell into my lap so I thought I'd try it out and it's been a nice way to earn money and still be with my own kiddo. I know what you mean about feeling like you just couldn't do it though. Ironically I still look at posts with people who have kids really close in age and fear strikes my heart - haha. I know I couldn't do that. It helps knowing they go home at the end of the day !

User Tag List