Do you cook from scratch EVERY DAY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cook our dinners from scratch every night. I don't use anything prepackaged (well I do use canned veggies sometimes). My friends who SAH think I am odd. We very rarely go out or order pizza etc. This is not onlly for financial reasons.
I consider it part of my job to prepare meals....as well as childcare and house cleaning.
What about you?

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:17 PM

Almost 99% from scratch. I don't think it's weird........but I'm also a chef, so it's easy for me. We do get pizza about 2x a month.

: Mama to ds (5) and dd (3) and .
#3 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM

yep,everyday.we make our own pizza too.the kids would love it if we got takeout sometime though!
#4 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

I am a SAHM of the "there are two separate jobs here" mentality.

I consider parenting my three kids--15, 11 & 8 mos old--to be my primary job.

I consider the homemaker/house-cleaner job to be my secondary job.

Therefore, if I am afforded more hands-on time with my kids by taking advantage of some convenience food items when preparing dinner, then I do.

I would say, on average, I'm probably a 75%-from scratch cook.
#5 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Fay

No, I do not cook from scratch every night.

I consider parenting to be my full-time job. My older son has autism, he needs constant supervision, and play therapy is a big part of our life. If I cooked everything from scratch, I would not be able to play with my children, and this would have a serious adverse effect on my older son's development. I also have a high need one-year old, a recovering colicaholic. My kids take a lot out of me, but I am very happy to be available to them 24/7, because motherlove is always the best medicine.

"Isn't life a series of images that change as they repeat themselves?" - Andy Warhol
#6 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM

no. i do feel that it is part of my job to feed my family, but my dh loves to cook and probably makes dinner one or 2 nights a week . sometimes we go out to eat, too, though usually for lunch. when i do cook, though, it is always from scratch.
#7 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I can't afford to go to restaurants or buy a lot of prepackaged foods- and anyway, few are available that are both kosher and gluten free. So, by default, I'm cooking daily, but some days we eat leftovers or we all fend for ourselves (cereal and milk or cheese and rice cakes for the kids) instead of me cooking a fancy dinner.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#8 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 PM

I cook most nights, but it is because I love it.

I'll let the vacuuming slide long, long, long before I forget to make supper.
#9 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 04:49 PM

I cook nearly every day, that's one of the advantages of being home. The hard part isn't making it, it's brainstorming what to cook.
#10 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 05:05 PM

About the only thing prepackaged in our house is cereal and some snacks. Oh, and we do occasionally buy a rice mix. Pretty much everything is from scratch, including bread and cookies. It is partly because that is how I was raised, partly because of the cost, and partly because it is healthier. We do occasionally order pizza or go out. The kids and I eat out twice a month when we go do our grocery shopping because that's 2 hours in the truck and makes for a long day, so we just grab a bite while we're out.

And I don't really find cooking from scratch more time consuming (for the most part) than the prepackaged meals.
#11 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 05:12 PM

I generally cook from scratch Monday to Friday. DH generally cooks on Saturday and Sunday. This was his choice. He was a SAHSD (stay at home stepdad) while I WOH when he first moved up here, so he did all the cooking and found that he enjoyed it. We both consider the kids to be my main job, and housework to be secondary. I also feel that the house is a 24/7 task, and don't subscribe to the thinking that he should get evenings and weekends off if I don't. He agrees.

I do use processed foods and take out occasionally - usually when I forget to take something out of the freezer. We also decide to have a pizza and movies night sometimes, just for the heck of it. How many meals we cook from scratch also changes with life circumstances. I obviously wasn't cooking from scratch every night after we lost Aaron (without my local Tribe, I'm not sure what we'd have been living on, honestly) and I "cheat" more if I'm not feeling well.

I want my family to eat meals that are cooked from scratch, instead of a lot of prepackaged, processed stuff and I care about that more than dh does. So, I feel it's my job to make it happen. The biggest problem is that I'm the slowest cook in the universe.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#12 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruden View Post
I cook nearly every day, that's one of the advantages of being home. The hard part isn't making it, it's brainstorming what to cook.
I don't do any heavy duty meal planning, but I just (two weeks ago) started working out on Sunday what meals we'll eat for the next week. It's helping a lot with the meal time craziness around here, because I make sure I have everything I need ahead of time...no more running out at 5:00 for something that I thought I had in the cupboard when I decided at 10:00 am to make such-and-such for dinner.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#13 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 05:15 PM

I cook dinner from scratch probably 90% of the time. The other 10% is a mix of eating out or DP cooking (he's a great cook!). I don't really consider it my job because I'm a SAHM though. I just really, really love to cook. I show my love through food!
#14 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 05:17 PM

I cook mostly from scratch, but do buy some premade veggie burgers/dogs etc. I make my own lentil burgers sometimes but my husband likes the Morning Star Farms ones better than mine. (I'm weird, I make them with peanut butter; yum!) Mostly we eat lots of potatoes, green salads, veggie casseroles, beans, homemade breads etc. I like to do my own baking as finding premade vegan baked goods is pretty tough. I make a mean chocolate cake with peanut butter icing!

I focus on the parenting, but I really enjoy cooking. Some of the cleaning jobs slide, but hey, something has to. ~_^
#15 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 05:21 PM

i would say i do about 50% from scratch cooking and 50% prepackaged and take out. of course, peter helps alot with both of those.

i am definately of the "mothering and housekeeping are two seperate jobs" camp. if i am low on time or the kids are being a handfull, a homecooked from scratch dinner is the first thing to get dropped from my to-do list.

Mama to Jet 6/05, Marvel 8/06 and Cash and Fox 2/09
Expecting Ada Marianne 11/14
#16 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 PM

I cook 99% from scratch each and every day. I and DH love to cook and we have the kitchen for it. The kids also like it so its not a big issue. I get the strange looks from SAH and WAH, and WOH parents alike. But I get that anyhow for my walking whenever possible, cloth diapering, cloth everything, and many other environmental ways of doing things so I just chalk that up as one of my oddities.

And as a pp said- my vacumning oth, not done as much or at all for that matter. Dusting either. Sometimes I need to dust off the vacumn before using it. I have been known to have a party or playdate mainly so I will clean my house beforehand.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
#17 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do order out for pizza or go out for dinner once a week, but other than that all the meals I prepare are from scratch. I sometimes use canned tomato sauce or a package of frozen veggies but that's about the extent of my shortcuts. Although lately with the serious morning sickness it's been a lot harder to cook, I do normally consider it part of my "job" as the SAH parent to prepare healthy meals for my family.
#18 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:41 PM

Nope. I don't. I rarely cook dinner at all. My ex does that (we live together - long story short). He's decent enough at it and I prefer to bake so it works out. I'll make breakfast, or lunch, but I prefer not to cook dinner if I don't have to.
#19 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:43 PM

We cook from scratch a lot, but no I do not consider cooking or cleaning part of my job. My partner and I share those duties. Child care is my job.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#20 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM

practically everyday. but my husband helps me whenever i ask..

#21 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:51 PM

I cook 75%+ of our evening meals from scratch because that's the way I was raised and it just seems like the thing to do. I did the same thing pre-DS, and my coworkers thought that was odd, lol. We do eat out on the weekends, though, both because we enjoy it and because I'm pregnant and happy not to stand in the kitchen!

Here's a question for the at-home cooks though: Lunch. Now my avg for home cooked lunch meals is 50% or less, and that's including leftovers. We're rarely at home at lunchtime and I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather eat out, even if it's junky. Do you mamas bring nutritious lunches along, or just make sure to be home?
#22 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Pretty much every day. We order in (chicken breasts and salads usually) about once a week when I take the wrong thing out of the freezer or need a break.

Don't trust anyone under 5! Mom to 3 boys under 5. Blogging to save my sanity.
#23 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Nope. I use a lot of convenience ingredients like boxed broths, frozen veggies, canned stuff, shredded cheese, etc. We got a Costco membership a little over a year ago. The frozen selection there rocks my world! Pastas, frozen soups, etc! We eat out a lot less since shopping at Costco.

I don't enjoy cooking. More than that, I don't enjoy making a mess out of my kitchen that I have to clean up later. I'd rather have a clean house than homemade from scratch dinner.

I make a lot of soups, though, that I guess are "from scratch" if you don't count that I use boxed broths instead of making my own. I have yet to find a canned soup that tastes good.
#24 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Sure, if spaghetti or frozen pizza is cooking from scratch.

I used to make meals with ingredients when I had one and two kids, but with four kids and extra kids over for childcare (and homeschooling), I make things that are fast and easy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
#25 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post
Here's a question for the at-home cooks though: Lunch. Now my avg for home cooked lunch meals is 50% or less, and that's including leftovers. We're rarely at home at lunchtime and I'd MUCH MUCH MUCH rather eat out, even if it's junky. Do you mamas bring nutritious lunches along, or just make sure to be home?

we eat leftovers for lunch almost always. i always try to feed the kids before we leave if we will be gone for lunch, and i always bring something (usually granola bars and carrots because they keep well in a hot car) for the kids to munch on if they get hungry. if we will be gone all day, we usually eat out unless it's a planned trip to the zoo or something. then i bring a lunch for us.
#26 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:16 PM

50/50 but we prolly eat out at least 5 times a week including lunch so out of 14meals 9 are at home and 7 are from scratch......
#27 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:29 PM

I would say I cook 95% from scratch. I occasionally use pre-made puff pastry sheets, canned vegetables and such. We also make our own pizza. Mostly this is because we're poor. Haha. I also enjoy doing it. I do BAKE from scratch though.
#28 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I always pack a lunch for Cate but not usually myself. Every Saturday we got to the Farmer's Market with a group of Moms & babies and then we all go out to lunch. I don't bring lunch for myself, but I refuse to feed Cate a freakin' hot dog. I always bring something simple - whole wheat pasta, finger fruits, and veggies.
#29 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter

We are usually home for lunch. Lunch tends to be easier than dinner.....leftovers, grilled cheese, canned soup, annie's organic mac and cheese. We might eat out for lunch once every 2 weeks.

Vanessa belly.gif, wife to Kev , mama to Byron (5) wild.gif and Billie (2) and  due in June
#30 of 157 Old 02-12-2008, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Either we eat before going out and after coming home, or I pack food to take with us. Lately we've been having late breakfasts and haven't even been hungry at "lunchtime" so it's easy enough to eat before going to a homeschool activity and then eat again when we get home. If we were on a more "normal" schedule, I'd pack a lunch for us to eat when everybody else breaks for lunch.

But, as I've said before, between keeping kosher and allergies, our options are pretty limted anyway. Even if I could afford to buy meals out, I wouldn't be able to find much in most places.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page