What do you all do outside and how long do spend in the sunshine?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey sahm mamas out there!!! I have a 22mo boy and I've been home since the day he was born. Up until now, the three summers he has been alive he wasn't able to do many things outside, and now that he is moble, and excited about being outside, I'm looking for ideas for fun things to do in the backyard. I have a sahm mom freind of mine with three now, and granted she lives on a farm, she says she stays outside most of the day, has snacks outside and lunch even. For hours she is outside, and thinks it is best for the kids!! They seem to have tons of fun, and I 'd like to replacate that, but I live in the city with a normal city lot for a backyard. We go for walks but I'm getting pretty tired of pushing him in the stroller or walking for blocks. I'd like to know how many hours you spend outside with your lo, and what you do in your backyard. I need fun ideas and ideas to get him to play so I can ocassionally lay on a towel and relax!!!! We have a climber, a swingset,a veg garden and flowers and a bunch of fun toys, I'm also getting a fence this summer. So what do you all do when the weather gets nice??

TIA!!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2008, 06:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Getting outside is healthy for them, both mentally and physically (and usnlight helps with sleeping)

When they're too young to get anywhere, I set them on a blanket and they play while I read or play with them. Or we sit in the grass and play with the grass, play in dirt, etc. When they're older THEY decide what they want to do - and there is plenty of ways for them to come up with things to do. Bubbles, chaulk, walks, toys in sand or dirt, cars/tricycles, playing in the playhouse, helping me in the garden, setting up a little pool and filling it up, finger painting (which turns into body painting then is hosed off), playing on a swingset/slide/playscape, etc. Let your son guide you :-)
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM

We live rural, so I can't be much help for experiences in small yards. BUT, the sandbox is always HOURS of independent play for my son. I set up different bowls of water, different sized utensils from the kitchen- spoons, tupperwares, spatulas, cups... you could probably get in some quality towel time with a sandbox.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thank you so, so much Storysar! Ok I' have most of things you mentioned, and we can do most of those things. I believe my L. guy should also decide what he wants to do! I want to be able to set things up outside so he can decide what he wants to do. Here is mosre to add to the list in case others are also looking for ideas!

sandbox (we are building a big one this summer)
playhouse(2nd b-day present)
toddle climber (2nd b-day present)
eagles nest
helping me garden
helping hang clothes/diapers on the line
digging in the dirt/playing w/ rocks and sticks
chalk
bubbles
lawnmower toy
ride on toys
making a fort
crafts/painting (can bring easel outside for this)
playing with cats (and hopefully chickens soon)
eating snack/lunch on the picnic table
drawing on the picknic table (not actually on there but with paper and stuff)

hmmm thats all I can think of now. Any more ideas? Also how do yo all keep from getting.... well.... um bored being outside all day? I mean it's not boring, but playing w/sticks for hours can be a little daunting.

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Okay update on my day. . .
we tried to spend as much time outside today, we went outside this am around 11 and stayed outside for about 45mins, then had lunch, the went outside from 1-5pm!!!! tried to get a nap in today with a stroller ride but it didn't didn't happen so we stayed outside for a good while today about 5 hoiurs and no nap. So hopefully he'll sleep good tonight!!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:16 PM

What about a small splash pool? (I'm on the hunt for a non-plastic one for dd for this summer- maybe a large, shallow galvanized tub.)

I don't come here anymore. MDC has become overgrown with ads & useless extra forums.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

yes swimming !!!! We are not totally plastic free, or at least outside with the slides and climber and all, we have a small round plastic pool that would be tons of fun when the weather is toasty!!! Any more ideas??? Sometimes I feel like I'm following Dakota all day when he's outside, I wonder if anyone has ideas on how to show their lo things to entertain them selves??!!!

Old 04-04-2008, 03:06 PM

Since you live in the city, are you able to walk to any parks? I much prefer to go to the park because there tend to be other adults around there with their children and it's so nice to be able to talk to someone. Being at home can be so lonely!
Old 04-04-2008, 03:24 PM

I don't have any new ideas beyond what others have suggested, just wanted to share how life goes at our house. I work but my DH is a SAHD. We live in SoCal where it is possible to be outside year round. We have a 1/3 acre fenced, wooded property. My girls LIVE outside. When it is warm enough, we leave all the house doors open and the girls pretty much come and go as they please. We are always nearby and keeping an eye on them but they play for HOURS independently (they are 3 and 20 months). They make "mulch" pies -- we don't often have mud! The build "fires" (little piles of firewood, no actual fire!!!) that they then dance around, pretend to cook weinies (they've never had a hot dog -- hmmmm...), etc. In the summer they have a little pool. They have a playhouse with lots of play food and a kitchen set. They have sidewalk chalk and a sandbox. But mostly I think they love running around our property and playing, and pretending, with all things natural. As soon as my little wakes up EVERY morning she says, "Outside? Go outside? Need shoes. Go OUTSIDE!!!!"
Old 04-04-2008, 03:33 PM

And what do you do when the lady next door keeps seven cats, and they all poop in your yard, and you're renting so you can't build a fence?
Old 04-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Most of the time I'm not playing with the children (1 & 3) , though they quite often come and join me hagning out washing/weeding/whatever

It's also my time to enjoy a cup of tea in relative peace.

I've also got to the point with the 3yo that I don;t stay out there with her every minute, I'll pop back inside and get on with things there.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:03 PM

I am probably just a replica of your farm friend. Since DS has been 6 weeks old he has gone with me every day twice a day to feed the horses, pen up the goats, etc.
He also loves to garden and find leaves and flowers for our pet tortoises.
He helps with the guinea pigs. We swing and slide and play in the sand.
I put the sand box on the front porch so he's in the shade (we're in Texas - lots of sun).
We also have a membership to the zoo and they have a Tiny Tots area there that he loves with a sandbank and a little river to splash in.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:28 PM

We spend most of the morning outside and typically some of the afternoon. We only have .10 of an acre lot, but have still managed to cram a lot into it.

OP, I modified your list above to show what we do outside. HTH!

play in sandbox
water play ("swim", pour, water flowers, make mud, etc)
help me garden
read
help hang clothes/diapers on the retractable line
draw with chalk on the patio
swing in the hammock or porch swing
blow bubbles
make a tent using the clothesline
paint
kick the soccer ball
toss other balls
play with dog
eat snack/lunch

Happy wife to DH superhero.gifand mama to DS signcirc1.gif11/05 and DD energy.gif8/07.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hattifattener View Post
And what do you do when the lady next door keeps seven cats, and they all poop in your yard, and you're renting so you can't build a fence?
trap them and take them away if the neighbour is unwilling to keep them indoors. There may be plants that cats don't like, so you could maybe plant them along the property line and around the sandbox.
You can get a lid for the snad box, tarp, wood, mesh, whatever so long as the cats can't dig.

OP- I think you will find that your child will entertain themselves if left to thier own devices. My dd can playoutside alone, or with friends for pretty much the whole day. The winter not so much, it gets really cold. Imagaination in a wonderful thing in a child, they don't really need 'stuff' to play.

Decluttering 500/2010
Old 04-05-2008, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnySlippers View Post
trap them and take them away if the neighbour is unwilling to keep them indoors. There may be plants that cats don't like, so you could maybe plant them along the property line and around the sandbox.
You can get a lid for the snad box, tarp, wood, mesh, whatever so long as the cats can't dig.

OP- I think you will find that your child will entertain themselves if left to thier own devices. My dd can playoutside alone, or with friends for pretty much the whole day. The winter not so much, it gets really cold. Imagaination in a wonderful thing in a child, they don't really need 'stuff' to play.
Totally agree with the "stuff" philosophy, he can have tons of fun with sticks and rocks and nature and all. I just need that fence, so I don't need to chase him around all day!

Thanks so much for replies! Now how many hours do you all spend outside in a typical nice day out??? and what is your typical schedule for summer monthes??

Thx!

Old 04-05-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Also how do yo all keep from getting.... well.... um bored being outside all day?
We have a fenced yard. The kids go outside & I'm often inside doing stuff that needs to be done inside.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:26 PM

Hanging laundry keeps us outside in the warm months. My son loves to help too. Not running the clothes dryer and the smell of sun-dried clothes, towels, sheets, etc is not bad either!

I have a small yard too so this is what we look forward to:
the water table (HOURS of fun)
chalk
soccer
tee-ball
worm hunts
digging, digging and more digging

Happy Spring/Summer!
Old 04-05-2008, 05:43 PM

Samantha, it sounds like you have a nice little set up in your yard. I'd just try to wing it & spend as much time there as you both are comfortable with. Switching/rotating playthings helps keep the interest up - i.e., one day have out bubbles, another time chalk, buckets of water on a nice sunny day (my kids all love to play w/little watering cans), build a fort another time. Also, playdates are a great thing for LO & you. And, getting out of the yard and enjoying the outdoors elsewhere is a fun way to spend the day - hikes, parks, zoos, playgrounds, etc.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 04-05-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
We have a fenced yard. The kids go outside & I'm often inside doing stuff that needs to be done inside.
that's usually how it is here. We have a fenced yard and Laura (3) plays outside in the dirt, catches bugs, plays with her babies etc. We have a small playhouse out there and she likes to play house. I am in and out most of the day, playing a bit and then inside doing house chores. Once the older 3 get home from school we spend a couple of hours at the park before dinner (it is directly behind our house)

Kelly,newly single mom of four wonderful children.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Oh thanks so much for the fun outdoor ideas!! I hadn't thought of the watering can toy! We have a cute little blue child's watering can that my little boy loves to use it to water the indoor plants I'm sure he would have tons of fun with it outside too! Also he loves to play with the hose with the sprayer attatchment that he pretneds to use to water our plants as well. Oh I can't wait to go outside today!! (unfortunitly its raining here )

Old 04-06-2008, 02:12 PM

We do spend a lot of time (hours) outside when the weather is nice but not much of it is in my actual yard. My yard is tiny. So, we go for walks. We play at parks, we walk into town and get a cold drink. We drive to the nature reserve or the local organic farm.
Or we go to Sturbridge Village.

When we're at home though, we don't usually play in the yard for more than a couple of hours. Even that's pushing it. Yes, my usable yard is that tiny.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 04-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Even though we live in the frozen Canadian prairies, we spend time outdoors year round. However, we practically live outside once the snow melts and things dry out (still waiting on that to happen ). My kids are 5 and almost 3 so they're really good about entertaining themselves and they play well together.

My two can regularly be found doing the following:
-playing soccer
-sidewalk chalk art (I also use sidewalk chalk to draw out roads all over the front walks and the kids will play w/their cars out there)
-hopscotch
-jump rope
-riding bikes/trikes up and down the block
-blowing bubbles
-playing in the sandbox
-swingset play (it's amazing what they come up with -- the seesaw's been a super fast rocket ship, race car, etc)
-splashing in the wading pool or running through the sprinkler
-helping me in the veggie and flower gardens
-help me hang up laundry to dry
-make leaf and rock collections
-silly games they come up with on their own (a fave is the "pinecone game" where they find pinecones the 2 evergreens out front have dropped and try to throw them back up into the tree )

Starting in July when the splash pads open, we usually spend our afternoons there. We pack the cooler up w/snacks and drinks, bring our bag of water toys and we walk or bike to the splash pad. Unfortunately, this won't be happening as much this summer as we'll have a newborn in the house.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

Old 04-06-2008, 07:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
We would like to spend more time outside. But we live in a high crime area with no yard. So we drive to the museum (outside play area) or state park. So maybe 1 hour a day tops if it's nice and it's not busy in our drive or a couple hours a day on the weekend.

Ideally, I would spend all day, every day outside. But not here.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 04-06-2008, 08:14 PM

DS would spend all day outside if he could, I think! He's always been an outside kind of kid. We spend time gardening (he has his own area to garden in and his own tools), we work on the yard, we play with the dog, he collects sticks and leaves, he plays with the outside toys we have. In a couple months, we'll set up our kiddie pool. Most of the time I don't actually play *with* him. I do my thing while he plays alongside me. It's actually nice to be able to sit and read or drink some tea while he plays. We're hoping to get a swingset this summer so he'll have even more to do.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 AM

Sadly we rarely play in our own huge, well equipped backyard. We usually go to parks for playdates with our Mother's group. DS has always loved being outside and it is great that he can fully enjoy going to the playground. Do you have any spraygrounds near you? Swimming pools?

I think that a key difference between you and your friend is that she has three kidlets. They can entertain each other at least a bit. So she doesn't always have to be on full duty. Where as you with one, do. You are his entertainment committee.

:

~*Heather*~
Wife to J 9/00 Mama to K 12/05
Old 04-07-2008, 01:21 AM

I used to LOVE my little plastic pool when I was little, I was such a water baby back in the day! I'm definitely going to get one for my daughter someday, but right now we have the beach! Right across the street we have the beach park, mothers are all over it! I'm especially excited to bring her over to play in the sand and splash about in the water. There's also a big toy and toddler and regular swings.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Pretty much our whole lives are lived outdoors & we can go outside whenever, barring cyclonic winds or torrential rain downpours. I close & lock the doors when I go to bed. House heating is non-existant.

Basically everything we do is connected with the environment around us- ie. on the way to school you may encounter 'x' situation, & yet we have a very normal, mainstream kind of life- even within that wet-season/dry-season weather dichotomy. THe local dam reserve water levels are great for illustrating that point.

Aussiemumhippie.gif (40), DH caffix.gif (39), DD reading.gif (13), & DS 2whistle.gif(11).

Old 04-07-2008, 03:45 PM

We've just started going out again for long stretches. Sorry, I don't like to be outside if it's below about 55 F. However, I love being outside if it's above 55 or so. Especially if it's sunny. The heat doesn't bother me - we used to go out for hours last year when it was in the 90s. The past few days have been upper 50s/lower 60s, so, it's all good.

We usually just walk down to the playground. DD can more or less entertain herself between the playground, the wood chips, the clearing nearby, etc. I'm not sure what she's doing half the time (I mean, I'm watching her, but what she's thinking while she randomly sorts wood chips or what not is ). So, I just sit back and watch unless she wants me to play with her. We were there from 10:45-1 today, came home for lunch, and we're going back down as soon as I finish pumping and we reapply some sunscreen. The GoodYear Blimp is flying over the stadium nearby, so, that ought to be good for an hour or so (she's obsessed with flying machines).

The pool opens around Memorial Day, so, we'll be down there a bit, as well, I bet.

ETA: We're in a third floor apartment, so we have no yard.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:17 AM

Any ideas for people who live in the city and dont have a yard?
Old 04-15-2008, 10:13 AM

I swear, we can spend hours and hours outside with ds just walking around the yard and me following. He does nothing in particular....he'll push his toy mower, play with his rake, chase the dogs, pick up rocks, go behind the shed, pull leaves off trees. I'm sure the point will come where he will need more entertainment, but for now, I'm glad he finds so many things to do!

I did try to give him lunch outside last week, but that didn't work....he was say too distracted to eat!

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!

User Tag List