Would you take a f/t job for buku $? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-06-2008, 10:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would definitely take it. It sounds fabulous and you deserve to brag, why not?!
I am completely committed to being at home with my daughter but if I had an arrangement like you could have, I'd definitely do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2008, 01:05 AM

I personally wouldn't do it. Despite the few hours of required childcare, that's a huge chunk of time and energy that would be devoted outside of my home. I know through experience that when a large amount of my time and focus is placed outside out home, things get stressful and difficult.

I had more written, but it sounded way too preachy. The condensed version: for my family and for my interests, taking a F/T job would not suit me.

Kim - Wife to Liam , Unschooly mama to Nick (10/00) Lily (09/05) and Olivia (07/09)
Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherweh View Post
Awesome suggestions mama- thank you so much. I don't have it in the bag yet, but I am hopeful. DH and I totally agree on this (easier said than done I know), but if I can commit to just do it for 1 year or even just 6 months as a trial, we can save a bunch of money and then I can stay home again, maybe even have another child, which is not really a good financial option for us right now. Or of course if I like it, stick with it, not to rule that out entirely of course! Though the 1-hour commute might not be a long-term thing, I would eventually want to get something closer to home. You seem to understand what I am saying here very well, it would just feel good, though tiring, to do this.
You seem to have a solid head on your shoulders, and your DH seems both supportive and in agreement with you -- which to me are two absolute requirements to have a successful experience transitioning from SAHM to WOHM. Those first few months will be hard, but go easy on yourself, and don't make the mistake of thinking you can do everything you did at home as well as work.

The one-hour commute is something that I think you'll find difficult. As time goes on, try to separate how you feel about WOH from how you feel about commuting. Personally, I find commuting intensely draining and exhausting. Working OTOH fires me up, and I feel really good about it. So, as you're evaluating, try to keep those separate in your mind, because while you can do something about the commute if you like the job, if you don't like the job, the commute will become absolutely unbearable. (FWIW, we arranged our work so we both work 10 minutes from home because we find commuting so draining and stressful.)

For us, as I mentioned in the other thread, going from WOHD/SAHM to two WOH has worked out very, very well. We're a significantly happier family. This just works for us. Just be sure to give yourself the space and time to figure out if it's working or not. I think you sound aware and in-touch, and you'll know.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would take it, too. But, WOH PT was the best option for our family, so that's my bias and background.

I would seriously think about and talk about household responsibilities first, though, and keep in mind how difficult transitioning from SAH to WOH can be for *everyone*.

You don't want to be working a full time schedule, which you will, then still doing all the household stuff (cleaning, shopping, laundry, childcare). That is really exhausting. You and your DH may need to figure out a new system or hire outside help during the transition period.

Also, if I understood the schedule correctly, you'd probably be getting up at 4 AM, spend an hour getting ready, drive an hour to be at work at 6 AM, then home by 3:00 PM. That's ok, but keep in mind that you'll need to go to be early and that will cut into your family/DH time. It can be a tough transition to make.

All that being said, it sounds like a great opportunity that you should at least give a shot to.

congrats and good luck.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:19 PM

Yeah I'd probably go for it.
The six figures, the hours, the amount of daycare.....
It all sounds really good. I'd definitely do it and see how you
like it. If you absolutely hate it, you can quit.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If he only needs 12 hours a month of childcare, where is he going to be the rest of that time? With your dh?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 04-07-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
DH and I felt very strongly that I would be a SAHM until DS was ready to go into preschool (at 3 in our idealistic minds). We sold our home and moved and I quit my job making 2x the money of DH to make this happen. I decided to earn my master's degree on the side, so student loans have begun to take effect. So we have been scrimping and our savings is down to nubbins. I had resigned myself that I would need to find some kind of part-time work soon in order to make ends meet. Just then, guess what lands in my e-mail in-box? A job-proposal; six-figure salary, all healthcare completely paid for entire family, vested in 401K from day 1, nice schedule (6am to 2pm) where DS would only have to be in childcare for 1 hour 12 days a month (12 hours per month total), a location and co-workers I'm familiar with and like, plus my awesome mama-neighbor agreed to take on watching DS for that time.

So, if this awesomeness fell right into your lap, would you take it?
I'd take it in a heart beat. I'm a huge believer in being a SAHM, too. I just think you have to balance the economic needs of the family and your own desire for a career.

This seems like a dream position, mainly because it gives you what you need without sticking your kid in daycare for long hours.

I left my job after it became clear I couldn't find a way to keep my kid out of daycare 9 plus hours per day. I tried very, very hard to find a part time solution, but none existed so I stayed at home.

So, yes, I'd take this job, no qualms. Congratulations!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
At least on a trial basis. Absolutely.

If it turns out to be too much stress/too tiring/etc., you can always rethink your decision. I do know some people for whom working outside of the house was actually *better* for their family as a whole, for whatever reason.

If I'm reading correctly, your DH would be home with your child most of the time, which I think is absolutely great.

I'd definitely give it a whirl.
:
Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katheek77 View Post
At least on a trial basis. Absolutely.

If it turns out to be too much stress/too tiring/etc., you can always rethink your decision. I do know some people for whom working outside of the house was actually *better* for their family as a whole, for whatever reason.

If I'm reading correctly, your DH would be home with your child most of the time, which I think is absolutely great.

I'd definitely give it a whirl.
Yeah, that. I'd try it for a while and if it wasn't working then I'd quit. Given the particular situation for you and your family, I would try it at the very least.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

No call back yet today. :-( I've been waiting for the phone to ring. DH and I figured a meeting spot between the jobs too so that we wouldn't even have to do any childcare, we could literally switch off caring for DS on our commute (for those 12 days a month where our shifts would overlap anyway). Hopefully I hear back soon since I'm on pins and needles, but I am trying to be OK with it if it doesn't work out too. Hoping I can find the inner serenity to accept things as they are mean to be!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 04-08-2008, 12:09 AM

Quote:
No call back yet today. :-( I've been waiting for the phone to ring. DH and I figured a meeting spot between the jobs too so that we wouldn't even have to do any childcare, we could literally switch off caring for DS on our commute (for those 12 days a month where our shifts would overlap anyway). Hopefully I hear back soon since I'm on pins and needles, but I am trying to be OK with it if it doesn't work out too. Hoping I can find the inner serenity to accept things as they are mean to be!
If this were the case, then I *would* consider taking the job. Just changing my prior answer based on the new info.

Good luck!!! Fingers crossed over here for you...
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 AM

Wow I would take it in a heartbeat.

Six figures in library science?? I was working on my MLS when I got pregnant with DS, and I dropped out. You've got me rethinking that decision.... What kind of job is this? What did you think of FSU's distance program? (I was in the Emporia State Univ SLIM program.)
Old 04-08-2008, 04:34 AM

What is "childcare"?

If you mean daycare or nanny, I wouldn't.

If that means close family member, I would.

OH! Just read your post about DH and you overlapping

Definitely, yes! It's great Daddy time!!!

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaknit View Post
Wow I would take it in a heartbeat.

Six figures in library science?? I was working on my MLS when I got pregnant with DS, and I dropped out. You've got me rethinking that decision.... What kind of job is this? What did you think of FSU's distance program? (I was in the Emporia State Univ SLIM program.)
That's what I was wondering, because I'm planning on getting on MLIS degree, myself (from the University of WA).

I would really love to know about this job!

Oh, and given the description, I would definitely take it.

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Oh the MLS degree doesn't really affect things one way or another. I'm an intelligence analyst (well, was and may be again- I'm currently a SAHM). The reason the field pays so well is because of the high-level security clearance and specialized training such as in the military.

Still no phone call today. :-( I'm trying not to be totally wound-up over it. Ugh.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for you at this time - good luck!! I'd do it a heartbeat!

Laurie wahm (virtual paralegal) of 3 wonderful boys (11, 9, 5). 1st by c-section for breech, 2 by VBAC (one miscarriage between child #1 and #2).

Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM

Absolutely.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:27 PM

I hope you hear good news from them! It sounds like it will work out for your family.

In my case, I left a job that had very flexible hours and no summers at all. I had about a 45 minute commute each way. It was a great job in so many ways. But the commute was really hard on me and I hated being away from my kids (even tho' my DH also has a flexible job). I wanted to be at home, so no amount of money then would have worked for me.

Now my kids are school age, and I have a part time job 3 minutes from home. I will never commute again. Ugh.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:32 PM

I definitely would! Well in my situation (DH in the military) it wouldn't work out, but if I was in your shoes I would.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:17 PM

I probably would. Depending on if I was happy there.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:04 PM

We are so tight on money that I probably would have to take a job like that if it fell into my lap. Then again it would most likely be a very temporary solution for us. I am afraid that I would just fall to pieces under the strain of a full time job. I hate leaving my little pumpkins, but the idea of having enough money to pay the all the bills on time is a huge one (in fact that kind of money could pay of our house in a little over a year!) . I would have to see I guess. But i really doubt that kind of offer is really going to happen with me

It sounds like the perfect solution for your family though, I hope that you hear back on it soon!

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)

User Tag List