How to keep 2yo entertained while sick? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-31-2008, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pregnant and miserably sick. I can hardly stand up for more than a minute or two at a time before I start blacking out (waiting to get a new heart medication, but it will be about 2 months until I can function well), nauseated all the time, exhausted, etc.

My little guy (just turned two) is going nuts and bouncing off the walls. I haven't been able to take him out much of anywhere, because I can't chase him if he runs off, I can't carry him, and I can't push the stroller or walk for more than a minute or two. Argh! We don't have a TV, but he has been watching way too many DVD movies on our computer with me in the last week, and now he is actually sobbing, "No moovie! No moovie!" whenever I suggest one.

I need some ideas for things this bored little one can do. He's very sociable and a bundle of energy, so I am trying to do playdates, but he's had a cold for a week now, so we are just extra crazy now!

Rebecca, mama to M (08/06) and E (04/09)
#2 of 6 Old 09-01-2008, 12:48 AM

Crayons and construction paper or coloring books! Or even more fun (my 2yo loves this) designate one wall he can draw on, just make sure you have some Goo Gone to get the crayon off when you're done. You could also tape paper to the wall to protect it instead of cleaning the wall.

Get out the pots and pans in the kitchen and fill some of them with water and let him splash around. (could also play in the bathtub, too!)

Don't know where ya live but if its safe can he just run around in your backyard?

Hope this helps! I was sooo sick with Fleur and I my boys who were 2 and 1 to chase after. Hopefully you can get your passing out problem resolved (I had that too, especially at the end of the pregnancy) On my good days I'd put them in the double stroller and go around our HUGE block (seriously, its like half a mile if you go all the way around)
#3 of 6 Old 09-01-2008, 12:51 AM

#4 of 6 Old 09-01-2008, 05:16 PM

I had all day "morning sickness" with my current pregnancy and I also have a two year old, so I feel for you. It got so bad that my little boy started telling people that "Mommy is broke" because I could barely get off the couch most days. I got drinks and snacks to settle my stomach, snacks and drinks for him, the remote, books, coloring books, crayons, small blocks and the phone and put them all on the tables near me. Sure it's not the ideal, stimulating situation but when you're sick you can only do the best you can. DH made a special effort to play with him and get him out when he came home, that helped a lot and gave him something to look forward to. My sickness lasted from week 5 to week 14 and even though I definitely wasn't an engaging, on top of everything mama during that time, my little guy seems no worse for it. I hope you get to feeling better soon!
#5 of 6 Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 PM

Stuff you haven't done yet, like maybe playdough (you can make it yourself) or a bath with food coloring, sidewalk chalk, painting the sidewalk or driveway with water - all these things seem like super fun at 2, but don't require that much work on your part.

Sorry you are feeling so poorly!
#6 of 6 Old 09-01-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Making note of the suggestions, thanks everyone!

Today, we spent over an hour drawing pictures with markers on his naked belly, arms, legs, etc. Then another hour in the bathtub. This might be a morning ritual for us.

Rebecca, mama to M (08/06) and E (04/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page