What do you plan to do when all of your kids are in school? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-03-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH (SAHP, things are much better than they were at the time of my last thread, BTW) is wondering about this.
Just curious what others planned to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 12:05 PM

After ds begins full day school and is well situated I plan to go back to work part time...although I work for the same company as my dh and I am able to work from home if I prefer.
It's important for me to still be there to get ds up each morning, fed a good breakfast and to pick him up after school each day and be home with him then, so this job works out perfectly for us.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:31 PM

I work casually at the kids school & am on the TA sub list for all the schools here. I am hoipng to get a pt or ft TA job.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:55 PM

We are pretty sure that we will home school our boys, so I plan to write from home again as time allows. If we don't home school I still plan on writing from home, no plans to go back to work outside the house if I don't absolutely have to.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:53 PM

Even though I have a uni degree in mass media studies, I would love to get a degree to complement my yoga teacher background and experience, like to get qualified as a Physio therapist so I better understand how Yoga can translate better in the western mind when I teach or help people recovering from injuries. Or maybe even east west philosophy. And once the kids are off to college, I would like to open my own yoga studio, if I don't manage it earlier!

Meanwhile, I read when I can "off topic" - as in not for the kids or parenting, but more about what really interests me outside of being a Mom. Although I must say that my own attention span has really been spread thin - must be part of becoming a Mom and multi-tasking - so reading anything takes be FOREVER (and it's not only that the kids might be taking my attention away, I jsut seem to lack the focus to absorb the material).
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 PM

when they are all in school I'm gonna spend a week watching movies in bed and napping, LOL.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM

When all my little monkey's are in school I plan to go back to school and finish my degree.

Hello debt!

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 PM

This is the second year I've had an an empty nest during the school year and I'm going to start my schooling (would've started last year, but the sale of our house took way longer than anticipated). I'll do as much as I can on the Internet so I'll still be home a ton. When I need to go to the actual school,I'll make sure I'm still home when the kids are. Thankfully, DH is home all day too so it works out great!

Sadly, I have all 4 years ahead of me...

Sgt. Renninger, Ofc. Owens, Ofc. Griswold, Ofc. Richards, Deputy Mundell
Gone but not fogotten.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:43 PM

We plan to homeschool so we have a LONG time before they're all "in school" (college level)

-Angela
Old 09-03-2008, 09:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yup, homeschool 'em! No rest for the wicked.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM

I think I will take some time to chill and work on some personal projects. Then I want to get a part time job.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:10 PM

This year I have 3 big kids in school and 1 kiddo in preschool. I've been focusing on lots of my own projects and find that I am really enjoying my free time. This week I've been spending all my time in my garden and kitchen, harvesting and preserving.

I've been contemplating going back to school for an advanced degree, as my bachelor's degree is pretty much useless. But I haven't made a final decision. I've also considered starting some sort of business; when my kids were little I had a WAHM biz and found it fulfilling.

I guess I'm lucky that I don't need to go back to work, we're financially comfortable if I continue to stay home. I think I'll need to make the decision year-by-year as to whether or not I'm content with my life

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:16 PM

When my older two kids were both in school fulltime (1st and 4th) I started substitute teaching in the elementary schools. I love the flexibility of it - worked the days I wanted to and could say "no" at anytime.

I plan to go back to it when dd2 goes to first grade. But in the meantime dd2 and I are home enjoying the yard, playgroups with friends and other MDC moms, napping and going to sibs field hockey and soccer games!

Kim , mom to Amanda (16):, William (13), and Annie (5)
Old 09-04-2008, 12:20 AM

the first day that all 4 boys are in school, i will probably sit there in a daze and do absolutely nothing for at least the first day.

no, seriously... i'm thinking of getting a part-time job when it gets to that point, if i can.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 09-04-2008, 08:11 AM

I'm sure I'll be back to work long before school age, but by school age, I know I'll be working happily and hopefully everything will be a bit more smooth in terms of juggling my career and my child's needs.

I can't wait.

Things are harder when children are small and pre-school age.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:43 PM

My kids are school age, and these days I work part time, around their school schedules. My job is part online and part in the office, so it works out well for family life. I don't work in the office at all during the summer.

When my kids are older, maybe I will ramp up the working a bit to help save for college, etc. For now, I mostly consider myself a sahm who does a little part time work.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:44 PM

That is quite far off right now, but i already have a few ideas...

I would probably do my freelance writing for about 4 hours a day, teach a couple of yoga classes a week, and do a part-time course, probably in ante-natal teaching and eventually I hope to do doula training when DS is old enough to be left for a weekend with Dad.

Whew...it' s a lot...and there's other stuff too but probably not realistic! Right now that amount of time just seems like heaven to me...
Old 09-04-2008, 08:14 PM

I think about this fairly often. I'm not sure, but I kind of have it narrowed down to three choices. I'll either find a part time job somewhere fun that I can get a discount on cool stuff (like a bookstore or a coffee shop), or I'll go back to substitute teaching, or I'll go back to school to work on my masters and see where that takes me.

MJ~ Proud mom to DS (4)
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

start a garden and write.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM

I will probably go back to school to pursue a degree in nursing.

DD#1 dust.gif (May '08); new sweet baby girl (May '11) vbac.gif
Old 09-04-2008, 09:14 PM

All my kids are in school full time as of this year. Kindy, 2nd and a 5th grader. My plan was to have some alone time. Some me time to sew, read enjoy being alone for the first time in 11 years. DH has decided that it's time for some "us" time instead. He is here all the friggen time! it's driving me nuts. I just want a day or two of peace but so far nothing. Anyway I do have a very very part time job about 8 hours a week so there's that but I have no plans on doing anything full time right now. I am still hoping for some me time. I also volunteer at the school and I am PTO president.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:53 AM

I'm not sure.

Maybe change careers?

Maybe start my own business?

It is going to be a long, long time before "all of my kids" are in school, considering I haven't even conceived all my kids yet.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudinPhilly View Post
Even though I have a uni degree in mass media studies, I would love to get a degree to complement my yoga teacher background and experience, like to get qualified as a Physio therapist so I better understand how Yoga can translate better in the western mind when I teach or help people recovering from injuries. Or maybe even east west philosophy. And once the kids are off to college, I would like to open my own yoga studio, if I don't manage it earlier!

I really wish that somebody would help obese people do yoga. I'm serious. It would really help me, and some others I know, to have that control and awareness of our bodies. Sometimes obesity is due to IGNORING our bodies, and shutting out our physical needs (shutting them UP with food).

Sorry to be O/T. But there's something to think about. And other moms and people who are overweight have agreed with me.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm going back to work (I'm a teacher) when the twins start first grade. So that's in five years. DH is very set on me homeschooling, but honestly we live paycheck to paycheck now, and can't save a thing, and I worry about college, retirement, etc. So I'll go back to work, and we'll save every dime I make.

me knit.gif, he bikenew.gif, my three reading.gif, sleepytime.gif, and fairy.gif-- and the one we lost angel2.gif
Old 09-05-2008, 02:29 PM

I am in a good position at this point, I dont need to go back for financial reasons, but now that I have been home almost 7 years, I want to go back to doing something. I have a few more years of staying home with MAggie but I want to start something part time w/ DH's work that can grow into something bigger. Funny, just the other day I said to DH that if we had another, I would be home at least another 6 years and I am feeling like I am ready to be doing something working outside of my sahm role.

Like others have said, I still want to be available to work in the classroom, be there for things that come up, etc. The job I would be doing at DH's office is in my background of marketing/sales and I can do most of it at home and a bit of in the field work which is what I did for several years before having my girls. Also, the extra income can go to our shorter long term goal of having our house payment paid off in 10 years and add to the education funds. Plus I can add to my retirement fund which is much smaller than DH's since I am out of the workplace right now.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 09-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Mine are both in school-and my days are more than full. When people make comments like "what will you do with all your time?" I feel like giving them the old . Are they serious? Today is Friday, and I look back not really knowing where the week went because I'm so busy.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:02 AM

Actually get things done.

Seriously... I have only 1 and dd is in school full-time. I actually get things done that need to be done in addition to the daily things. I now have time to do things such as:

- sew things for around the house
- regularly organize pantry
- wash windows, baseboards, other things that rarely get cleaned otherwise
- cook even more from scratch
- put up food from the garden (canning is great fun, imho)
- garden
- make gifts instead of buying them
- home improvement projects
- heat our house with wood in the wintertime (a time-consuming task)
- take care of my mother
- volunteer at school
- still do all the doctor's appts., etc.
- take dd to lessons
- work very, very p/t

In fact, once dd was in school was when I felt like I was really starting to get busy.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:06 PM

Not sure. It's up in the air whether we'll homeschool or not.

If I go back to work, I'll probably go back to substitute teaching b/c of the flexibility. I would *consider* going back to regular teaching, but, that would probably depend on where we lived, what sort of support network I had, etc. I may decide to volunteer somewhere (I used to volunteer at a library for 20 hours/week, and loved it - and it turned into a part-time, paid job). I might try to finish (well, restart, at that point) my master's degree.

Dunno. I've got about three years to figure it all out, so, I'm not worried.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 PM

We hope to be able to afford my being home to homeschool her.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:27 PM

I'm reading this thread with interest because I have NO clue. DS just started preschool so for three months or so I have 2.5 hours a day without him and I don't even know what I want to do with that. (after that I will be taking care of a newborn) Right now I'm too anxious about him adjusting to school to do anything but check out MDC and watch the clock til its time to pick him up (I am worried that I'm going to be late to get him...why? I have no idea.) I have two masters degrees and no desire to use either. I do want to work again, or feel productive and useful in some way other than child care, but I just don't know how.

User Tag List