5K views 135 replies 125 participants last post by  mrspineau 
#1 ·
1. how old are you?
2. how old are your kids?
3. what does dp do for a living?
4. what did you do before being a sahm?
5. how long have you been a sahm?
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm?
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day?
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in?
9. do you have a support system?
10. favorite thing about being a sahm?
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm?
12. overall are you happy being a sahm?

gotta make breakfast will post my answers at naptime!

#77 ·
1. how old are you?
3 years old and 2 years old
Lube tech (he changes oil in cars and other fluids and such) - without a family to support, he'd be living below poverty level for the city we live in just trying to support himself. So yeah, we're poor, very poor, and no, being a sahm is not a financial privilege as most people mistakenly believe.
Curves fitness technician
3 years
6. how long do you plan on being a sahm?
I may go work part time after the youngest is in school.
4-5 hours which includes pet care, laundry, cooking, dishes, yard work, etc.
None. We used to go to social groups but they outgrew them and there aren't any social groups for their age now. So we just go to parks and the library and such. I don't really believe in strict routines and control.
Not sure what you mean by this. No one helps me, if that's what you mean. They have no babysitter and I get no breaks. The only family I have in this state live several towns away. I don't care for my husband's family and they never have come to our house to visit. My neighbors helped out when our pipes froze one winter by letting us use their toilet until our pipes were fixed. Is that the kind of support you mean?
I can be an active participant in my children's emotional and mental development.
No time off.
Yes.

#78 ·
1. how old are you? 32
2. how old are your kids? DD1 - 5 3/4 (6 in Dec), DD2 - 3 this month, DS - 18 mos
3. what does dp do for a living? Computer software Sales Engineer
4. what did you do before being a sahm? I taught 2 yr old preschool
5. how long have you been a sahm? 6 years, didn't return to work for the school year when I was pg w/#1[/COLOR]
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? I will probably work very PT when the youngest (we plan on 1 or 2 more kids) is in school... I will teach preschool 3 days per week
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? Probably about an hour, 2 if you count laundry!
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? We belong to our local MOMS Club group, LLL, the girls do ballet, getting ready to start Girl Scouts here in Oct., oldest is in K in public school and younger DD goes to preschool
9. do you have a support system? DH works from home quite a bit which is awesome and my parents are 6 miles away
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? I like being here for all the little things and being able to just sit in the floor and play
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? When DH travels and I am 24/7 without backup (I hate to call my parents unless it's an emergency).
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Yes, wouldn't trade it for anything... even on the difficult days.

Beth

#79 ·
1. how old are you? 35
2. how old are your kids? almost 9
3. what does dp do for a living? B-to-B software sales
4. what did you do before being a sahm? technical writer for a software company
5. how long have you been a sahm? about 8 years
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? we homeschool, so it's indefinite
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? an hour?
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? lots: martial arts, homeschool park days, playdates, co-op classes, etc.
9. do you have a support system? yes
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? being there
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? less time to myself
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? yes

#80 ·
1. how old are you? 26
2. how old are your kids? DD-20 months, and DS-8 weeks
3. what does dp do for a living? civil engineer
4. what did you do before being a sahm? I was a graphic designer
5. how long have you been a sahm? since DD was born-so almost 2 years
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? a loooong time, no real plans to return to the workplace.
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? does that include picking up? maybe an hour, and then a little more on real "cleaning" days
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? not much at the moment since I have a newborn- but we do go to la leche league and play with my friends who have kids.
9. do you have a support system? i have other friends who are sahm as well-as far as emotional support and people to talk to. family is nearby too.
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? getting to be with them all day, seeing them grow up before my eyes, seeing all the firsts, knowing them best, being the only one who can decode my toddler's language

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? it's really hard to get out of the house with two babies. i miss being out and about-when it was just me and DD we went everywhere. also, sometimes I just want to be alone with no one needing me for a minute.
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? YES! I can't imagine it any other way.

#81 ·
1. how old are you?
*9 weeks
*works in SSL certificate security
*that my day gets to revolve around my dd and her needs. We don't have a nap schedule, we don't have a feeding schedule, we do what she needs to do, when she needs to do it.
*9 weeks
*forever. I work a couple days a week for my dad and bring my dd, but that's it
*right now, none, lol! I just do laundry. DH and I clean on weekends together
*none yet, but I hope to go to story time at the library soon and we'll do swimming lessons this winter
*my mom is here and wonderful
*that I don't have to worry about anything/anyone except my baby and my house!
*the aloneness...but once she's bigger and we're doing more, I'm sure that'll go away
*yes! i can't imagine working and not being with my baby all day

#82 ·
1. how old are you?
Ds, 7.5 and dd, 2.5
He is a WAHComputer Programmer
Mostly I was a housewife. DH's job moved around a lot in those days and it was easier to not get a job. I did work as a computer artist off and on.
10 years
We homeschool, so forever.
Some days none, somedays a couple of hours
Ds takes karate, dd has speech therapy
yes
being with my kids
being with my kids

very

#83 ·
1. how old are you? 33
2. how old are your kids? 2
3. what does dp do for a living? sells electric motors
4. what did you do before being a sahm? worked a meat counter
5. how long have you been a sahm? 2 1/2 yrs ish
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? currently planning to home school...
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day?I never thought about it, maybe 1 - 3 hrs
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? none, just an ap parenting group
9. do you have a support system? live alone in the area no family within 2 hrs one friend I trust who has watched ds twice
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? seeing him get it, grow up..; today his sharing skill shave finally evolved
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? cleaning up pee five minutes after cleaning up pee ten minutes after cleaning up pee (one child)
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? mixed... overall yes. I think if I worked I'd be miserable and feel way too disconnected from ds

#84 ·
1. how old are you? 41
2. how old are your kids? One ds, 10 years old
3. what does dp do for a living? tennis coach/director tennis academy
4. what did you do before being a sahm? designer/student/kindergarden teacher
5. how long have you been a sahm? 10 years
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? No idea -- forever??

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? On average 1 hour, includes dishes, laundry, cats etc - once a week full-flat clean!
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? We unschool, so everything and nothing, always together. Some weeks are busy, some quiet, so far nothing fixed.
9. do you have a support system? Dh and friends on the phone in another country! Not enough...
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Freedom with capital F!
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? nothing
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Love it!

#85 ·
1. how old are you? 33

2. how old are your kids? 3 and 5

3. what does dp do for a living? Dh is a ps teacher

4. what did you do before being a sahm? Worked as a clinical research coordinator

5. how long have you been a sahm? Since oldest ds was born

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? For a looooong time since we're homeschooling.

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? Anywhere from 10 min. to an hour, just depends on the day. I try to do *something* everyday.

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? Loca hs co-op, MOPS, various sports for older ds.

9. do you have a support system? Yes, lots of sahm friends

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Just knowing it's the right thing for our family and the best thing for our kids.

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? I get a little burnt out sometimes with taking care of kids, not enough time to do my own thing.

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Yes!

#86 ·
1. how old are you?

10 months

computer stuffs and invents things

travelled

10 months

until I can't be one anymore... hopefully indefinitely

at least an hour

monday and tuesday drop-ins for new moms and babes

not really, but i will when i move back closer to my mom in a month!

being with my baby. learning from her, watching her grow, playing with her, cuddling all day.

when i need time to myself during the day, i can't have it.

YES!!!

#87 ·
1. how old are you? 31
2. how old are your kids? 26 mos
3. what does dp do for a living? Army
4. what did you do before being a sahm? worked at a camp for mentally and/or physically challenged adults, taught middle school at a Catholic school on an Indian Rez, taught regular elementary school right off base, worked in a library on base, nannied
5. how long have you been a sahm? 26 mos. But I've worked part-time bringing DD w/me for a while after she was born, and just recently started nannying again
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? Myeh. I just make work fit around me and DD
I get bored not working out of home, but I wouldn't want to work full time until DD is in school...and it'll probably be part-time then. I don't expect I'll have a *career* again until DD is out of the house
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? maybe an hour? not high on my priority list. And that would be mostly cooking and dishes.
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? None, but she comes with me to nanny, so, for 24 hours/week, she's in an informal play group

9. do you have a support system? I guess. I don't have 12 relatives living nearby, but I have a supportive husband, some supportive friends, and a supportive employer
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Not having to rush anywhere most of the time, and not having a schedule
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? Same thing, day in, day out - which is why I'm back working
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? I make my own happiness. And the universe seems to help. When I'm bored/overwhelmed/etc., I get a temporary nannying job. If I'm not working, I"ll take a quick trip w/the kid to recharge. I'm not always thrilled with SAHM, but there's no way I'd put my kid in child care (just me), so, if want to work, I find a child-friendly position (or it finds me).

#88 ·
1. how old are you?
almost 38
5 year old DD
Software Engineer
Everything from graphic arts and newspaper layout to customer service to retail to senior citizen home care.
5 years
Indefnitely, though I am hoping to incorporate more time in the art studio.
Varies. Cleaning isn't my top priority, but I do try.
Homeschooling, art, swimming, library, museums, science experiments, etc.
No. But I am working on this.
Being with DD, freedom of schedules, not working for anyone else
Not having enough time to myself / not getting enough adult conversation. Telling people what I do at when I meet them at parties. But then again I hate parties anyway.

Most of the time.

#89 ·
1. how old are you? 24
2. how old are your kids? DS' 18 months
3. what does dp do for a living? naturalist... but its ending here soon, so we aren't sure whats coming next
4. what did you do before being a sahm? went to school and then was the horsemanship director at a YMCA camp
5. how long have you been a sahm? 2 yrs
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? i'm not sure, a while at least, if I can
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? couple hours, probably
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? outside the house? we go to lapsit at the library... and i take/teach tae kwon do
9. do you have a support system? not really
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? getting to hang out with my DS all day
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? feeling like I'm 'not contributing'
12. overall are you happy being a sahm?[/B] yeah

#90 ·
1. how old are you? 29
2. how old are your kids? 8, 6, 4, 1
3. what does dp do for a living? Works for the gov't, for the CRA (Canadian IRS)
4. what did you do before being a sahm? Was in school
5. how long have you been a sahm? 8 years
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? until I retire
or finances make it necessary for me to work

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? it varies; a few hours
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? currently nothing, soon gymnastics, lego, maybe chess, piano
9. do you have a support system? yes, just moved close to grandparents
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Being my own boss and choosing my schedule/activities
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? Being my own boss and having to figure out my schedule/activities
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Yes

#91 ·
1. how old are you?
10 1/2 and 1 1/2
Fixes various things
Worked at a national bank in a cubical.
About 5 months.
Till DS1 doesn't "need" my one on one attention anymore. I figure till he is done growing... By then I might have to be home for DS2.
Who knows?!
Not enough. Oh not enough.
We are in homeschooling groups and field trips. So many things so little time.
DH and my sister. So yea.
The fact that I can be there for my sons.
Not having extra $ from me working.
Yes. Otherwise why do it?
Actually I am glad I am the one home because I dont think DH has the patience for it.

#92 ·
1. how old are you? 33

2. how old are your kids? 10,7,6,4,1

3. what does dp do for a living?Salesman For A Medical Curgical Company

4. what did you do before being a sahm?College and Part-Time Work

5. how long have you been a sahm? 8 yrs

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? Until the baby in my womb is 4

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? Not enough

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in?None

9. do you have a support system?Yes, My Aunt

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? I'm home with my children for important things like dinner, homework, and bedtime.

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? I don't have any money for myself.

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? YES

#93 ·
1. how old are you? 30

almost 3 and almost 5

IT

nonprofit admin, teaching sea kayaking

I have stayed at home at least part time since the day I went into labor w/ ds (almost 5 years ago), and have been mostly (minus 9 months part time work outside the home) staying at home and working at home since dd was born (3 years ago).

Maybe a few more weeks, maybe a few more years. We are crunching numbers now and deciding if we can still swing it.

1 hour, max

childcare co-op, just started preschool and swim lessons, lots of moms groups, part time home daycare here

my DH is great, my closest people support me by cell phone, and I fill in with local moms groups, etc.

lazy mornings, not missing deadlines due to sick kids, going to the playground on a rainy day, hiking with the kids

money stress, missing work success

Yes, but I have not always been. Getting here was a journey.

I look forward to coming back to see everyone's answers. This is such a timely thread since we are grappling with the to stay home or go back to work issue right now in our family.

#94 ·
1. how old are you? 28

2. how old are your kids? 28 months, 6.5 months

3. what does dp do for a living? IT work

4. what did you do before being a sahm? Before first baby, office manager at a property management company ... SAH for ~six months before I got a p/t job doing the same thing at a costume shop (I could take Spencer with me) ... left when Colin was born

5. how long have you been a sahm? Including my p/t employment, 28 months

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? Not sure ... I'm in school part-time and will be for three years. After that, we want at least one more child. That's when things will be up in the air. I really think the early years (birth to schoolage) are when I want to be home, but having a three-year break from baby duty means I'll be in my mid-30s before getting a job again. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? little to none

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? Nothing organized, but we try to go to a playgroup at a local park twice a month

9. do you have a support system? YES!

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Naptime ... snuggling on the couch, nursing both of my boys ... bliss!

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? I feel like I have ZERO time that is 100% mine

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Most days, yes.

#95 ·
1. how old are you?
I'm 26.
DS1 is 5, DD is 20mo. and DS 2 is 8 months.
He's a network administrator/web developer.
I was in college as a financial major.
Sense I got pregnant with my first. I had severe hyperemesis so I dropped out of school.
6. how long do you plan on being a sahm?
Since we're hs'ing...who knows. A long time, I hope!
I feel like it's all I do some days. I am constantly picking up after them to keep it presentable in here.
DS1 has a homeschool activity group on Fridays, and so far that's it.
Not really. My mom lives 3 hours away, and we see her every couple of months, and DH's family hasn't been in our lives for almost 2 years.
Being able to see every moment of them growing and learning and changing. Selfishly, I like having my time be my own.
Trying to balance everyone's needs. I feel like my DS1 misses out on a lot because of the babies. Then I feel like the babies miss out because I'm homeschooling DS1. I don't know...it's never enough, I guess.
Yes, especially now that we're homeschooling. I love it, and really cannot imagine having it any other way.

#96 ·
1. how old are you? 26

2. how old are your kids? almost 1

3. what does dp do for a living? IT Network Security for a Microchip company

4. what did you do before being a sahm? worked in a call center

5. how long have you been a sahm? about 1 yr

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? school age or longer if we
homeschool

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? 1-2 hrs

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? Nothing yet he only started walking a couple of months ago !

9. do you have a support system? yes

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? being here for all of the firsts

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? somtimes I don't get out of the house enough

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? yes

#97 ·
1. how old are you? 22

2. how old are your kids? 16 months and I'm due again in January.

3. what does dp do for a living? He's a Marine.

4. what did you do before being a sahm? I was a full time college student.

5. how long have you been a sahm? 16 months. Ever since ds was born.

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? I don't know. At LEAST until my youngest is in school. We'll see.

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? I dunno. It differs. Sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes several hours. Depends on what needs done.

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? DH and I share a car until next month, so it's limited. Currently, a weekly playground and a playdate here and there. I'll be joining this toddler program as well, and probably something else. I'm looking into mommy & baby swim lessons for us.

9. do you have a support system? Not here yet. Just moved to the area. I will soon.

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Being home with ds everyday.

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? Being cooped in the house while sharing car with dh.

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? YES! I love it!

#98 ·
1. how old are you? 20 yo
2. how old are your kids? 2.5 yo & 8 mo
3. what does dp do for a living? construction (several trades)
4. what did you do before being a sahm? healthcare (and school)
5. how long have you been a sahm? about 1.5 yrs
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? not sure yet
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? 1-2 hrs depending on if I can keep the kids entertained long enough to get stuff done
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? none atm
9. do you have a support system? not really
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? spending each day with my babies
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? feeling so isolated
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? most days

#99 ·
1. how old are you?
Almost 32
9 and 6.5 years
One is a photographer, the other is an electrician
I worked for a non-profit organization helping people with HIV
most of 10 years
indefinitely
that depends on how lazy I'm feeling and what got done yesterday

I garden, knit, sew and bake, do PTA, am a girl scout leader, volunteer in my spiritual community... the kids do scouts, choir, knitting club and everything else that catches their interest
Yes, two very wonderful partners and many close friends
Being able to care for my family and be THEIR support....and being the boss.
Other people's disrespect for the work I do.
Yes, very! In fact I just renewed my commitment to being a SAHM yesterday when I quit the credential program at the university a few weeks into the semester because my family just isn't ready for me to stop being at home.
:

#100 ·
1. How old are you? 36
2. how old are your kids? 18, 15, 12, 10, 6, 5, 3, 1
3. what does dp do for a living? small buisiness owner, selling tactical gear to the troops
4. what did you do before being a sahm? college student
5. how long have you been a sahm? 18 years
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? for about 90 more
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? 3-5 hrs
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? horese back riding, motor cycle riding, air soft battles, making forts, digging holes, growing stuff, taking care of chickens, riding bikes, fishing, hunting, sewing, homeschooling.
9. do you have a support system? my husband and children
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? I don't have to get a job and commute and be away from my house
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? monotony
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? extremly happy

#101 ·
1. how old are you?

38 in November

15, 12, 2, 1, and I'm pg

CNC Machinist Supervisor

Worked in a photography studio

Since my first was born so... 15 years.

At least until my last child graduates high school but I can't say for sure.

Not much

Homeschool co-op, homeschool gym, my dd interns every summer, our ds takes guitar, and lots of church activities.

YES, very much so!

I get to be with my children.

I sometimes feel overwhelmed and bored.

Most definitely!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.