Forum Jump: 

#121 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
1. how old are you?
I'll be 27 in early November.

2. how old are your kids?
I have one son who is nearly 16 months old.

3. what does dp do for a living?
Hubby is a youth and formation minister at an Episcopal church.

4. what did you do before being a sahm?
I was an editor before getting pregnant. From the time my son was about 3 months old until he was 14 months old, I worked (very) part-time as a chiropractic assistant.

5. how long have you been a sahm?
I've been a SAHM for all of my son's life (almost 16 months), though I did work a bit for about 11 months of his life.

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm?
Forever if I can swing it!

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day?
Not nearly enough. On average, about an hour. On my good days, 2-3 hours.

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in?
We attend a local play group and get together with other moms in our neighborhood.

9. do you have a support system?
Yes! His name is husband... well, Josh.

10. favorite thing about being a sahm?
I love being with my son. I love witnessing him do new things. Oh, and I love napping.

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm?
The lack of adult interaction.

12. overall are you happy being a sahm?
Absolutely!
#122 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I firmly believe humans are needed for a myriad of jobs that don't pay on this Earth, from volunteering- to the simple act of keeping a home and I think this benefits everyone, especially in my house.
Me, I don't do any "activities" per say, I'm not a group person, but I have friends and most of us enjoy sewing/hiking etc, right now my oldest is involved in orchestra, but we have no set activities. We live life naturally at this moment in time, at various points we've done dance, Girl Scouts etc. We are homebodies with 2 introverts so playdates and stuff just aren't our cup of tea, we like it more relaxed and we aren't the go-go-go type of family- we treasure our down time.
Not feeling like I have to put an employer first, because in my experience they always expect you to do that, and I couldn't- so the small jobs I've worked never worked out. And obviously being there for my kids all the time, priceless for me.
When people assume you're wasting your life, or call you lucky wistfully as if that's all it was was luck- I realize not everyone can financially do this- but we didn't come about me being at home by accident, we designed our lives this way. We don't have lots of stuff/money, but me being home was integral to my mental health, and our family's sanity. I am lucky in the sense that it has worked in our favor thus far, but it hasn't been without sacrifice.
Yes, honestly I don't physically/mentally think I could face the day if I had to leave my kids to go earn money, and I'm extremely grateful we are able to swing it with one income. Plus I don't want two jobs, this one is hard enough with plenty of leftover things that need doing without me adding to my work load, it also allows dad to relax knowing he doesn't have to bust a** at home too since I'm here keeping tabs on things.
You are awesome! You printed exactly what I feel/think on the subject.

:

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#123 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
You are awesome! You printed exactly what I feel/think on the subject.

:
Aww thank you.
#124 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 PM

1. how old are you?

ds1 will be 10 next month, ds2 is 7, ds3 is 5 and ds4 is almost 4

at the moment, um, nothing, but he's looking! before that he worked at wal-mart and pizza hut

i was in high school, and a waitress, cashier, telemarketer...

i've been mostly a sahm since my oldest was born. i'd pick up hours at the restaurant now and then, work for a few months for holiday money, work weekends in the summer at faire... but no "steady" job.

at least until the whole crew is in full-day school. then, well, we'll just see what happens!

ha! i do most of the cleaning after the crew is in bed, so it's a disaster all day then i whip round and get it all done in an hour or so. i do throw in laundry during the day most days.

hmmm... the older kids are in school, so ds3 (morning k) and ds4 gets to run errands and stuff with us. and there is an informal mom's group in the apartment complex, on nice days we all hang out in the back yard with the kids that aren't in school.

yes, i have family in town and most of my sahm friends are a bit far away... but that's what phones are for!

being able to go at a slower pace, not having to rush to get things done, being able to just chill out in the big chair and read a book with my little guys.

stress! being "on" 24/7, especially with special needs kids. although dh has been a huge help while he's home!

very much so.

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#125 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 05:21 PM

1. how old are you?

21 in December

just turned 7 months old

computer network engineer

worked on my college degree

since my dd was born, so 7 months

as long as I have kiddos at home, then I want to become a midwife

1-2 hours usually, if my 4 and 5 year old nieces are over it takes considerably longer!!!

La Leche League is about it for now, more as DD gets older

my hubby is an amazing support system to me, couldn't do it without him!

spending every minute with my baby, I couldn't imagine being away from her

it really bugs me when people act like being a sahm is just a breeze and not hard work at all

yes! best thing in the world
#126 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 05:53 PM

1. how old are you? 24
2. how old are your kids? 7, 5, 3, 1
3. what does dp do for a living? Actually, right now he's unemployed, but he was in sales.
4. what did you do before being a sahm? High school.
5. how long have you been a sahm? I've been a SAHM/WAHM/take kids to work since we had ds1
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? Until my children move out.
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? An hour, on average
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? Me- Volunteering, church stuff, college, working at home
Kids- Tae kwon do, gymnastics, homeschooling

9. do you have a support system? Yup
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Having a flexible schedule. Being able to homeschool.
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? The constant noise.
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Absolutely.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#127 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 10:58 PM

1. how old are you? 27
2. how old are your kids? 3, 1
3. what does dp do for a living? Firefighter
4. what did you do before being a sahm? Event Coordinator, sales, daycare
5. how long have you been a sahm? 18 months
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? until my kids go to school
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? 1-2 hours
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? playgroup, preschool
9. do you have a support system? yes
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? that I am in charge of my days
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? I get lonely, especially when DH is gone
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Yes, very much. I love being home with my kids, and I love what we are able to do as a family because of this.

Vanessa... Happily married to a paramedic - celebrating 10 years of marriage!  Mama to one crazy 6 year old transformer and one chatterbox 4 year old princess.  Daycare provider to many jumping beans  I'm expecting my third in late November. 

#128 of 136 Old 09-14-2008, 11:12 PM

1. how old are you? 29
2. how old are your kids? 2.5 and 13 months
3. what does dp do for a living? Equipment Operator
4. what did you do before being a sahm? Daycare Provider
5. how long have you been a sahm? 2.5 years
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? not sure. forever? Or until I get too bored
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? not nearly enough
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? none yet, but we try to get out a few days a week
9. do you have a support system? not really.
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? I wake up at work, I can stay in my jammies all day
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? not enough sleep, days blending together
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? generally, depends on how much sleep and alone time I get
#129 of 136 Old 09-15-2008, 12:47 PM

1. how old are you? 32
2. how old are your kids? 17 months
3. what does dp do for a living? odd jobs
4. what did you do before being a sahm? nurse aide
5. how long have you been a sahm? 17 months
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? as long as needed
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? 1 hour-ish
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? playing
9. do you have a support system? not much of one
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? my baby
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? illnesses
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? yes
#130 of 136 Old 09-16-2008, 12:18 AM

Wow! A lot of you are so young, you guys are so lucky.:
#131 of 136 Old 09-16-2008, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
1. how old are you? Wow, 33 already...

2. how old are your kids? Almost-4-years and 4 months

3. what does dp do for a living? Sales

4. what did you do before being a sahm? I still WAH as an editor

5. how long have you been a sahm? I've been home with my kids since they were born -- I worked from home for 2 years before that

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? I'll be home with my kids until they're in school full-time -- after that, I hope I can keep my current job, but I'd consider an office-based job if I had to for some reason

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? Probably about 1 hour between dishes, laundry, and cleaning up toys

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? No formal activities -- our only definite commitment is DS's preschool 2 days a week. Other than that, we just do random stuff -- the library, the zoo, Disneyland, errands, hang out with friends, etc.

9. do you have a support system? Yes! DH is wonderful -- when he gets home at 4:30, he completely takes over childcare so I can get some work done or go out and have some time to myself. We also have close, loving, involved family members who live nearby, as well as a few really close friends who would (and do!) help us out in a heartbeat.

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? Being the one to see all the little moments that make up a childhood -- the silly things they say, the spark of imagination/wonder/excitement over everything they see ... I feel so privileged to witness and share all of it with them.

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? Those moments when I feel overwhelmed by it all -- when the thought of being everything to these tiny people starts to suffocate me and I feel crushing irritation over small things like not being able to listen to my music in the car, or not being able to eat my cookie without a little mouth nibbling at it even though he has his own.

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Yes, I am. If I didn't have such a supportive spouse, this wouldn't be the right choice for me. But he understands my need for solitude, and provides me lots of opportunities to satisfy that need, giving me the energy I need to not just muddle through my days with my kids, but live them with a sense of joy and gratitude (most of the time!).

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#132 of 136 Old 09-16-2008, 05:01 PM

1. how old are you? 30
2. how old are your kids? 2 years and 8 months and not quite born yet
3. what does dp do for a living? designs all kinds of machines on computer (manufacturing engineer)
4. what did you do before being a sahm? student, waitress
5. how long have you been a sahm? 2 years and 8 months but i was a stay at home wife before that for a bit
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? at least until the kids are in school and then who knows?
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? not enough! haha but i'll get back into the swing of things when i'm not pregnant and tired.
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? my son goes to a preschool program. i do yoga and Muay Thai kickboxing (for the workout) and i scrapbook. DH does Muay Thai.
9. do you have a support system? i'd say so. a pretty good one.
10. favorite thing about being a sahm? knowing i'm the one with my son all day.
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? boredom and the need for time for myself (like going to the bathroom on my own or having a shower whenever i feel like it) and i miss sleeping in.
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? yup

wife to wonderful dh_malesling.GIF mama of three-DS1 born December 30, 2005 and DS2 born September 27, 2008 and one lovely little girl born September 7, 2011jumpers.gif

#133 of 136 Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by senmom View Post
Wow! A lot of you are so young, you guys are so lucky.:
Yes, I was thinking the same thing! I feel old.
#134 of 136 Old 09-16-2008, 11:13 PM

1. how old are you?32

2. how old are your kids?4.5, 2.5 and 12 weeks

3. what does dp do for a living?manager at a consulting firm

4. what did you do before being a sahm?registered nurse

5. how long have you been a sahm?worked a little after DS#1 was born for about a year and then became a SAHM

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm?till they don't need me any more and then we'll see what I am interested in then

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day?Let's see I spend about 2-3 hours a week doing laundry, I am constantly picking up toys and shoes and clothes all over the house, I vacume the lower floor about every other day and the top floor once a week, I let the dishes pile up till I can't take it anymore

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in?we go to the library 2x a week, DS#1 has an art class once a week, they have preschool 2-3 mornings a week for 4 hours, they also have a boys only gym class they attend once a week

9. do you have a support system?yes, DH's parents live nearby,my SIL lives nearby also, my parents live a few hours away but we talk often, my sister and I talk almost every day, there are several close friends I can call if I need too that aren't too far away

10. favorite thing about being a sahm?getting to see every moment of their lives, all the first and new discoveries, I can't imagine missing all these things

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm?i get tired of the same thing over and over,the lack of a break when ever I need it, adult conversation on a regular basis

12. overall are you happy being a sahm?OMG yes!! I wouldn't dream of doing anything else with my life, Is there anything more important than your kids??

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
#135 of 136 Old 09-17-2008, 12:50 AM

1. how old are you? 23
2. how old are your kids? 14 months
3. what does dp do for a living? Auto business
4. what did you do before being a sahm? Was a Chef and in college for Veternary Medicine
5. how long have you been a sahm? 14 months, but I didn't work during pregnancy either
6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? Until DS starts school, or we're done having kids, then I'll be a WAHM
7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? 30 minutes, my house is always clean
8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? Well, right now just playing. But we go on walks, do yoga (well I do and he watches, I try to get him to do it too), and bike rides.
9. do you have a support system? DH supports us financially. Our family supports us emotionally. 1
0. favorite thing about being a sahm? Being able to cook home-made healthy meals for my family.
11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? Nothing, I love everything.
12. overall are you happy being a sahm? Very much so
#136 of 136 Old 09-17-2008, 08:18 AM

1. how old are you? 25

2. how old are your kids? 6 mp
3. what does dp do for a living? he owns a computer software and web development business

4. what did you do before being a sahm? esthetics/beauty consulting

5. how long have you been a sahm? I was a stay at home wife first, so along with that about 2 years

6. do long do you plan on being a sahm? im not sure. I would like to go back to school someday, but im not even sure what i would take.

7. how much time do you spend cleaning each day? an hour or two

8. what activities are you and your kids involved in? none yet but we are starting a diaperfit class next week

9. do you have a support system? yes, dh's family live with us and they are wonderful

10. favorite thing about being a sahm? everything

11. least favorite thing about being a sahm? not getting enough credit

12. overall are you happy being a sahm? yes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page