Stir Crazy??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am SAHM my DD is now almost 11mos. I have been struggling to get motivated to do just the slightest task. The season are changing. Here on the west coast (bay area) it rain and rains . Now I just feel trapped in my house. I want to do so many thing (sewing, knitting, crochet, reading, teach myself a new skill...) I feel like I could do more, but I am not motivated to do such. I want to do more with my daughter. However, I rely on public transportation, I have a car but driving in this city is crazy. I get very little support. I try to remain positive by trying to remember self-care and self-love. I know I am offering my daughter the love and the attention she deserves at this age. I value our time and connection. I know staying home is a sacrifice financially, but its worth it just to be here and nurture my daughter during this very young age. I love my daughter, but I have been seriously considering going back to work part-time. I think I am going stir crazy or something. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 AM

Nope but your story could be mine....just add an almost 4 yo dd, an almost 2yo dd and change the baby's age to 3 months....I have also been tempted to go back to work even part time but I cant bear the thought of leaving them at daycare or dayhome just so I can feel better. I dont have family to leave them with and I am exclusively bf my ds. I feel like I am going nuts right now and am not sure what to do either. I know my mood has been crappy and the kids know it....it is not so much them but I want to get more done around the house. I am in a cooking frenzy but cant cook because of ds ( I cant put him in a sling because of my back). I know it made me feel better when I was able to leave my dd1 and dd2 with a friend while I browsed at the library for an hour. Granted I had baby with me but he was sleeping. I felt more refreshed and ready to tackle things. Is there any way you can get a break for even an hour to do something YOU want to do? I dont know if you are like me but I am so used to putting the kids first that I forget about thinking or doing anything nice for myself to the point where I have bought them clothes they dont need while I still wear the ripped skirt I have had for 5 years.....
#3 of 3 Old 11-04-2008, 01:31 AM

Oh it is so easy to feel this way! I hear you. To combat the stir-crazies, two big things help me: 1. getting some structure to our week and 2. finding other people in my situation. I got so good at filling up our schedule during the week I actually had to cut back on activities.

- Look for storytimes at your local libraries (ours has programs for as young as one month olds), bookstores have storytimes too.
- Attend meetings for any and all mothers groups you can find. (MOPS, Mothers and More, Meetup, LLL etc) Most groups allow you to attend a couple events before you have to become a member, that way you can check out which ones you like.
- Many times playgroups spin off from these. Check out any local places that have a free first-time visit - Gymboree, Kindermusic, etc.

For me it was a matter of trying to get the most out of this time I have home with DD. I knew there was stuff out there, but the more I looked the more I found. Now we have a specific schedule that happens every week - playgroup on Mondays etc. We're busy and we love it!

As for time for you to get your stuff done, do you have a DP who is available on a regular basis? My DH works a fairly regular schedule so in the past we agreed on certain specific times during the week as my time. That way I'd know ahead that I had, say every Friday evening to myself and that was DH's time with the little one. So I'd look forward to doing me-stuff - craft stuff, whatever, in that time. Right now we have a new little one so I'm not getting ANY me time, but hopefully soon we'll be able to get back into that.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page