opinions on my blog background please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have changed this about 1000 times! Do you like it? Is it too much? I want it to be visually nice to look at it but I don't want it to be distracting to readers. What do you think?

THANK YOU!!
#2 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM

It looks nice but the contents is slow to read and that would annoy me. I don't know if the font is too big or if it's the spacing of the columns. The colors and designs along the side are pretty and not distracting at all.

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#3 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 12:00 PM

It's a really nice layout and I didn't have any problems with slowness I like it!
#4 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I kinda don't like the background :. It makes the text difficult to read on the laptop.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#5 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for your opinions! Do you mean the page is slow to load? I definitely don't want that- I know that's so irritating! It must be the website where I got this layout from.
#6 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I kinda don't like the background :. It makes the text difficult to read on the laptop.
I wonder why?? On my laptop my font is black and easy enough to read.
#7 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 06:15 PM

I am on a laptop and had no trouble reading anything. I like the color scheme, not distracting but also nice to look at. Best of luck!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#8 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 06:35 PM

I like the background a lot. I don't have any trouble reading it on my laptop.
#9 of 33 Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

thanks!
#10 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 07:55 PM

I really liked it. I could read it just fine and it wasn't slow to load for me. And, I have a dinosaur of a laptop!
#11 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM

I like it a lot! How do you make a custom background on Blogger?

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#12 of 33 Old 12-29-2008, 10:24 PM

It wasn't slow to load, the problem I have is that it's slow to read- meaning I have to constantly be scrolling down to keep reading- not enough content on the screen. I think I may be the odd one out there though (that's normal for me!!!)

Alicia DH Mike DS Gage Lola & Zeus Fishy Dishy, Charkey and Shark
RIP Sidney 1994-2010 RIP Charlie Brown 2008-2010
#13 of 33 Old 12-30-2008, 02:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia622 View Post
It wasn't slow to load, the problem I have is that it's slow to read- meaning I have to constantly be scrolling down to keep reading- not enough content on the screen. I think I may be the odd one out there though (that's normal for me!!!)

that makes sense.. I get what you're saying! thanks for your opinon, I appreciate it!
#14 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 06:06 PM

Hi. I'm a new blogger & I know how much we newbies like feedback. Here's mine: Page loaded fine for me. Background cute & matches your theme and audience. I do think the font needs to be a bit bigger. Also, I suggest putting your "about me" with a pic towards the top of the page, so a viewer will see it when page loads. Maybe it's just me, but I think this goeas a long way to personalize the blog.

good luck.
#15 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmama View Post
Hi. I'm a new blogger & I know how much we newbies like feedback. Here's mine: Page loaded fine for me. Background cute & matches your theme and audience. I do think the font needs to be a bit bigger. Also, I suggest putting your "about me" with a pic towards the top of the page, so a viewer will see it when page loads. Maybe it's just me, but I think this goeas a long way to personalize the blog.

good luck.
all wonderful ideas- thank you!
#16 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post
I like it a lot! How do you make a custom background on Blogger?
I got that background from www.thecutestblogontheblock.com It's really easy, you just pick which you like and then put it into blogger- it gives easy directions. Let me know if you need help and I'll see what I can do.
#17 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
I got that background from www.thecutestblogontheblock.com It's really easy, you just pick which you like and then put it into blogger- it gives easy directions. Let me know if you need help and I'll see what I can do.

oh, thank you so much! I just have one of blogger's templates and it's pretty boring.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#18 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 08:18 PM

please take my comments in the kind spirit in wihich they are intended.

I don't like fancy backgrounds like that. they load very slowly for me - something to keep in mind. I have cable internet, but a large part of the country still has dial-up only, so you want your blog to load as fast as possible. every second that your blog lags, you lose a reader.

i also really find backgrounds to be distracting, but this may be just my add speaking. yours isn't over the top, but it's more than i like to see.

I also really, really, really hate when the blog layout gods put their web address at the top of the page like that. I'm saying that as a blogger, though, not as a reader. I don't like having links on my site that don't open in a new window. I'm blogging to make money (which is why my site is no longer in my siggy,) and links that open in the current winow take readers away from my site.

All of that said - I have learned that the great majority of my readers subscribe in a reader and never touch my main blog page, so I say, go for whatever background you want. Many of your regular readers will never notice. I didn't- I have you subscribed in a reader and never would have known that you changed that if I hadn't seen it here.
#19 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

2pink1blue-

I would eventually like to make money off of my blog too- but I'm just starting. But my goal/dream is for this blog to make me money and be successful with it! Why do you not have your blog in your siggy? If you did wouldn't that allow more readers and result in you making money??

Good point about dial up- never thought about that!

What do you mean you have me subscribed in as a reader?

I agree about the web addresses at the top of the page- I don't really like that either, but I don't think with blogger this is any way around it! Unless I design a new template which I would like to do eventually..

thanks for your thoughts!
#20 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 11:27 PM

I would eventually like to make money off of my blog too- but I'm just starting. But my goal/dream is for this blog to make me money and be successful with it! Why do you not have your blog in your siggy? If you did wouldn't that allow more readers and result in you making money??

Yes, but that would be a link to a for-profit website, which is against MDC rules. Before I added the ads, I parked the blog in my siggy, so I got quite a few readers. When I had what was a comfortable number of readers (for me) I took it out of my siggy and added my ads. All it takes is someone to click my ads, they don't need to buy anything. So if anyone is ever at a site they like with ads, just click them! It won't cost you but a second of your time, and your readers will return the favor.

Good point about dial up- never thought about that!

What do you mean you have me subscribed in as a reader?

I read your blog's feed (and all the other ones I subscribe to) in google reader. Which means I click on google reader, and it shows me a list of the blogs i have subscribed to on the left, and on the right, the most recently updated. I can read all of them jumbled up (as in, by date) or i can click a blog and read all of it. It's very basic-looking and easy to read this way, but you do lose a lot of formatting.

I have my feed set up through feedburner.google, (so i can put ads on my feeds as well as my posts). I suggest just going to feedburner and spending some time looking around their site - they have some cool site tracking tools, etc.

I agree about the web addresses at the top of the page- I don't really like that either, but I don't think with blogger this is any way around it! Unless I design a new template which I would like to do eventually..

You can go in and change the .xml to put that address at the bottom of the page, but it might be against the rules of that particular site. It's very likely that readers won't care at all, though.
#21 of 33 Old 12-31-2008, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!
#22 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
Yes, but that would be a link to a for-profit website, which is against MDC rules. Before I added the ads, I parked the blog in my siggy, so I got quite a few readers. When I had what was a comfortable number of readers (for me) I took it out of my siggy and added my ads. All it takes is someone to click my ads, they don't need to buy anything. So if anyone is ever at a site they like with ads, just click them! It won't cost you but a second of your time, and your readers will return the favor.

[/B]
OT - sort of

3pink1blue- I want to have ads on my blog too and have sort of planned to get a decent number of readers and then go for the ads, like you did. Do you mind sharing what that number was for you? I'm curious. I'd love to see your blog - could you pm the link to me?
#23 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
OT - sort of

3pink1blue- I want to have ads on my blog too and have sort of planned to get a decent number of readers and then go for the ads, like you did. Do you mind sharing what that number was for you? I'm curious. I'd love to see your blog - could you pm the link to me?

oh- me too!

I don't think she has to PM- seems like she could just post it here? Not certain though.
#24 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 04:23 PM

it is a bit too busy for my taste, but i love the colours!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#25 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM

I think that the colors of the blog are beautiful, but the background greatly detracts from the readability of the blog. Couple that with the advertisement from CutestBlog in the upper corner and the blog feels a little unprofessional. Also, your Subscribe button should be much higher on the page--above the fold--if possible. Your best source of readers is those who subscribe because your content should--hopefully--keep them coming back.

If you have any plans to monetize the blog, you should consider a switch to Wordpress.org and pay for hosting. Wordpress offers considerably more options for your blog and you can really customize in ways that enhance your ability and your readers' ability to get the best out of the blog.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.
#26 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 05:53 PM

I think it's cute, but I would like it better if the blue-ish background was not texturized. It would be easier to read the text.
#27 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 06:01 PM

I think I had 25 subscribed in feedburner, and 10 following in blogger. (I HATE wordpress with a PASSION!! Wordpress is my arch enemy, because they have a robot in their server that eats my posts before they go up. Every.Time.)

But I will also say that MDC,while sending me a lot of readers, wasn't my main source of subscribed readers. I have promoted my blog in lots of different places, and have barely skimmed the surface.

i don't have a premium subscription so i can't post my blog here. There's a link though, I think, in my twitter profile, which is in my siggy.
#28 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I think i'm going to change it. Just yesterday when I was reading on my blog I too thought that it was a little hard to read with the textured background.

I think I'll go back to a blogger format with a solid background.. stay tuned for an update and let me know if you like it better!!

Thanks so much for everyone's help and thoughts!!
#29 of 33 Old 01-01-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to keep my background white. I think it is the easiest to read and the simplest, most professional looking. Now to decide what colors to use against the white!
#30 of 33 Old 01-04-2009, 09:30 PM

I like the new plain look. Check out this blog. (She's an MDC Mama.) You could customize your blog by putting a photo in the banner at the top like she did.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page