what makes an interesting writer's blog? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm specifically trying to brainstorm ideas for a barely published or unpublished creative writing writer. i'd like to make my blog interesting, but i feel rather defeated about it. i decided to post a post every day in january, to get me going, but i already feel i'm running out of ideas LOL let's face it--my life with my 3 homeschooled kiddos is not THAT exciting. and i don't want to write too much about my kids either, not on this blog.

i have a hard time following "writers's" blogs. the blogs that i follow are either homeschooling or crafts oriented, or of people that i already know.

actually, i don't follow many blogs, i realise, as frankly, i find most boring

i've seen writer's blogs that offer glimpses into their daily lives, writing habits and personality, struggles with finding an agent and a publisher, and i find this more interesting...but i wonder what's a good balance between public and private, especially if one is sort of on the fringes (typical mdc mama )

i feel my blog is as boring as "the rest of them", so at least i try to keep it short.

but of course, i'd like to find out what makes a really interesting writer's blog that you (and I) want to come back to.

what are your favorite writer's blogs? why do you come back to them?

ania

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, i just thought about it more and brainstormed, and i like when there are photos. so i guess i'm more likely to come back to a blog if it has interesting photos, but not stock.

but photos aren't always relevant to a writer's blog...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:15 PM
 
Twocoolboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like writer blogs from experienced freelancers that give good advice to writers who are seriously working at a career in freelancing. For instance, I like this one. I want tips to help me find my way (i.e useful information). I guess a not-so-experienced freelancer could pull it off if they were really honest (and brief) about what worked and what didn't.

I like short and to the point blog entries. I don't like to read people's random thoughts,unless they are particularly witty. I also like brutal honesty in a blog. And, frequent updates.

I also like pictures - lol.
Twocoolboys is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I like writer blogs from experienced freelancers that give good advice to writers who are seriously working at a career in freelancing. For instance, I like this one. I want tips to help me find my way (i.e useful information). I guess a not-so-experienced freelancer could pull it off if they were really honest (and brief) about what worked and what didn't.

aha, i like this too, but since i have no experience, i won't be able to pull it off.


Quote:
I like short and to the point blog entries.
true.

Quote:
I don't like to read people's random thoughts,unless they are particularly witty.
or short, works for me too.

Quote:
I also like brutal honesty in a blog. And, frequent updates.

I also like pictures - lol.
i think brutal honesty and brevity are the only things i can do , but i don't feel it is enough, obviously

thanks for brainstorming with me!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:31 PM
 
Twocoolboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read your blog. I like it - you are good at brevity - lol. What about putting a different spin on it? Like Five Tips for Writing Flash Fiction or Ten Ways to Find Writing Time When the Kids Want You to Play. You can still write within your theme, but make it a more "useful" format.

I need to work on making my blog useful too.
Twocoolboys is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I just read your blog. I like it - you are good at brevity - lol. What about putting a different spin on it? Like Five Tips for Writing Flash Fiction or Ten Ways to Find Writing Time When the Kids Want You to Play. You can still write within your theme, but make it a more "useful" format.

I need to work on making my blog useful too.
thanks!

i feel i'm not qualified to give any tips...except for carrot peeling while jogging, and brevity, obviously and if i had one post with 5 things...that would be the extent of my tips for the next year

i saw one blog that was offering writing prompts, and i thought of doing some thing like this, in a fun way

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
I just read your blog. I like it - you are good at brevity - lol. What about putting a different spin on it? Like Five Tips for Writing Flash Fiction or Ten Ways to Find Writing Time When the Kids Want You to Play. You can still write within your theme, but make it a more "useful" format.

I need to work on making my blog useful too.
yours is useful by definition good title too--i bet very googleable! ETA: and very inspirational. i love seeing what you can do in 15 min.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 PM
 
dearmama22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
oh what a good topic!!

I like blogs that are informational but not strictly " educational" In most cases, I don't like reading about someone's day, unless I know them or unless they have a really exciting life!

I like to read things that are useful, helpful, make you think about your life but the writer also writes to your personable and not just listing straight facts.

I don't know if that makes any sense?!
dearmama22 is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 02:33 AM
 
Twocoolboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightwriter View Post
yours is useful by definition good title too--i bet very googleable! ETA: and very inspirational. i love seeing what you can do in 15 min.
Thanks! I'm kinda suprised by how much I am getting done. Looking at the before & after pictures is keeping me motivated - lol.
Twocoolboys is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
oh what a good topic!!

I like blogs that are informational but not strictly " educational" In most cases, I don't like reading about someone's day, unless I know them or unless they have a really exciting life!

I like to read things that are useful, helpful, make you think about your life but the writer also writes to your personable and not just listing straight facts.

I don't know if that makes any sense?!
so what this would translate to for a mostly unpublished fiction writer? this is what i'm struggling with.

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Thanks! I'm kinda suprised by how much I am getting done. Looking at the before & after pictures is keeping me motivated - lol.
i'm SO decluttering my little bookshelf today! no, i'm not going to post before/after photos!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 02:21 PM
 
Twocoolboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: right here
Posts: 1,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aww... come on! You should post the photos! LOL
Twocoolboys is offline  
Old 01-03-2009, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twocoolboys View Post
Aww... come on! You should post the photos! LOL
nah, but i improved some.

i also added a writing prompt "feature" to my blog, but not sure if it is googleable...

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 PM
 
schreiberwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 833
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check out my list of blogs on the left of my blog.

I have people who fall into all kinds of categories and that's what I enjoy--a diverse community of writers who are easy to read and easy to follow.

For example:
--a cousin who cooks everyday and his partner takes fabulous photos of the food
--a mom who writes the funniest stuff about her life with teenagers
--evangelical Christian pastor who writes reflective posts about life and his quest to address poverty
--Natural, babywearing, crunchy mamas and their adventures
--Cloth diaper blogs (only cuz I'm a fanatic)
--muslim women from Malaysia
--Indian guy who writes in ebonics
--Republican female lawyer airs her views

Lots of women writing about life. My favorite are funny, but I know I can't be funny every day. I've tried.

I use my blog to write about what I think about and observe. Now that I don't like in community with many intelligent people (like I did in college), I use the blogging to try to create it.
schreiberwriter is offline  
Old 01-20-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schreiberwriter View Post
Check out my list of blogs on the left of my blog.

I have people who fall into all kinds of categories and that's what I enjoy--a diverse community of writers who are easy to read and easy to follow.

For example:
--a cousin who cooks everyday and his partner takes fabulous photos of the food
--a mom who writes the funniest stuff about her life with teenagers
--evangelical Christian pastor who writes reflective posts about life and his quest to address poverty
--Natural, babywearing, crunchy mamas and their adventures
--Cloth diaper blogs (only cuz I'm a fanatic)
--muslim women from Malaysia
--Indian guy who writes in ebonics
--Republican female lawyer airs her views

Lots of women writing about life. My favorite are funny, but I know I can't be funny every day. I've tried.

I use my blog to write about what I think about and observe. Now that I don't like in community with many intelligent people (like I did in college), I use the blogging to try to create it.
cool list! thanks!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
Old 01-21-2009, 03:51 AM
 
Smokering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 8,315
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've just been reading some writing related blogs, either linked to you by you or linked to from your links. Fascinating, so thanks for the links!

As a newbie freelancer I really want to read stuff that is specific, nitty-gritty and demystifies the process. There's a lot of jargon in the publishing world, and a huge perception that writing is a cutthroat, depressing, harsh business that will leave your soul jagged and torn. Which may be true, but that's not particularly helpful for those who want to write. Too often the information stops at "Forget it, you'll fail", which would lead to the logical conclusion that there are no writers. Given that there are, what we newbies want to know is how do we get where they are?

So, specifics! What is a query letter and how do I write a good one? What is the difference between an agent and an editor? How do I address queries, can I use email, should I include a SASE, can I send articles as attachments, how much of a CV do I need to give when pitching, what do I do if they ask me my rates and I have no idea, how much should I expect them to offer me, will they send me a free copy of the magazine...? Stuff like that. That's why I'm enjoying Pub Rants so much; so many of her posts are specific and concrete.

From your posts in this forum you seem to be very good at being helpful, so that's great! I've appreciated your posts and linkies here.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Smokering is online now  
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
 
midnightwriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: midnight
Posts: 1,271
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I've just been reading some writing related blogs, either linked to you by you or linked to from your links. Fascinating, so thanks for the links!
Welcome! :

Quote:
So, specifics! What is a query letter and how do I write a good one? What is the difference between an agent and an editor? How do I address queries, can I use email, should I include a SASE, can I send articles as attachments, how much of a CV do I need to give when pitching, what do I do if they ask me my rates and I have no idea, how much should I expect them to offer me, will they send me a free copy of the magazine...? Stuff like that. That's why I'm enjoying Pub Rants so much; so many of her posts are specific and concrete.
Yeah, I really enjoy specifics too! Unfortunately I don't think I can blog about stuff like that myself--I have only second-hand experience, as in, yeah, I heard / read this and that... . I mean, I might think my query letter is good, but only time will tell.

Quote:
From your posts in this forum you seem to be very good at being helpful, so that's great! I've appreciated your posts and linkies here.
I try to be, because there are writing communities on-line where members seem to guard this kind of information, and I'd rather share what I've learned! (As I wish someone shared with me a year ago or so)

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
midnightwriter is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off