How did you decide what to blog about? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love to write, it's my passion. I've been published and my mother-in-law keeps egging me on to start a blog. The question is: What about?

How did you decide what to write about? So many things are possibilities for me, it's hard to choose just one!
#2 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM

its probably best to choose one general topic. I don't though. I just write about everything all willy nilly. I try to mix it up though. I try to have a kid update, a health update, and a funny story from the past, all at least once a week.
I really don't blog about anything in particular. If my blog was a tv show, it would be Seinfled (but with more spit-up.)

I say go for it, write what you love. I think people prefer to read someone genuine than someone rigidly sticking to a protocol that isn't working for them. What I mean is, if you can stick to a theme and still be genuine, that's probably best. If you have to choose between a theme and being genuine, be genuine.
#3 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 10:00 AM

Mine is about my spiritual journey. I decided that meant I could write everything and anything I wanted to. I just started but I don't have a particular hobby/interest that I could focus on.

Just start. I put if off for years and finally I just started and I love it! It's a quick rush...books take a long time, blog entries are great, quick rushes and you get feedback and reinforcement quickly!
#4 of 10 Old 02-12-2009, 08:42 PM

I started blogging shortly after my youngest was diagnosed with autism - and the list of my kids' special needs has grown. Now I blog about Autism, Asperger's Syndrome, Asthma, Epilepsy, ADHD and then my "mutterings" - just ramblings.
#5 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 12:22 AM

I'm paid to blog - so it might be a bit different. But I blog about a topic I'm passionate about and where I have some growing to do. So it keeps my interest up and I never run out of topics...
#6 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceilydhmama View Post
I'm paid to blog - so it might be a bit different. But I blog about a topic I'm passionate about and where I have some growing to do. So it keeps my interest up and I never run out of topics...
Oh yeah, that too. My personal blog is the autism blog. The blogs that pay the bills, well those are topics decided upon by the site owners hehe.
#7 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 02:42 AM - Thread Starter

I definitely need to dig in and do it! I've been putting it off, too. There are so many things I'd love to write about, it's hard to whittle it down to just one. Thanks everyone for your input. I can't wait to hear more!
#8 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM

First and foremost, what are you trying to accomplish?

Do you want a serious blog or a casual blog? Do you plan to monetize it? The options for blogging are endless, narrowing down what you want is probably the hardest part

I blog fulltime for work and often find I don't have time for "my" sites. I have a little bit of everything. I have a personal blog where I talk about my kids, hubby, life etc. And then I have niche blogs too.
#9 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pink1blue View Post
its probably best to choose one general topic. I don't though. I just write about everything all willy nilly. I try to mix it up though. I try to have a kid update, a health update, and a funny story from the past, all at least once a week.
It all makes sense when you break it up like this! :smile

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#10 of 10 Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM

Ha! This is my dilemma right now.

I am writing away but trying to figure out a way to organize it before I get rambling!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page