Noveling in March - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I saw this discussion going on and thought maybe I should join. I love all the ideas that are being tossed around and the first sentences of your guys novels. The first sentence is such a HUGE and IMPORTANT part. I loved how you guys are helping throwing ideas around and supporting each other. I thought this would be a great discussion to be apart of.

I've been writing for several years. I used to be able to kick out poetically worded novels within months of each other. Now, I am lucky to even look back on them and add bits and pieces here and there. I think it was the move to college. Though, tonight, I was listening to the song Lightening Crashes and got an idea for a novel. I suddenly pulled up Word and began typing. After about five minutes, I came out with a couple pages of a first draft. I got excited, pulled out a fresh notebook, began writing down some ideas and summaries of were I want it to go. It feels so good to be able to come up with an idea that is fresh and makes me feel so creative (i missed the creativity in my life). I have a problem with not sticking to the novels that I start, but I see this one showing great potential. It has all the things that I am completely interested in.

I don't know about you guys, but when you get an idea, do you play it out in your head as if it were a movie? When I got this idea, I suddenly saw the first scene in my head, in vibrant colors, playing out for me. Also, what would you say your weakness is about writing novels? For example, I would say mine is not getting any motivation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
Just because Harley sees God doesn't mean God is actually there.
Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriole View Post
Please tell me more on the subject... And you are right, it's fantasy.
The general drift (on avoiding exposition) would be that "the best" intro will start with a character doing something; exposition is by definition backstory, so it doesn't bring readers into the immediate story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
Have any of you read Dennis L. McKeirnan? This reminds me very much of his works, which have sometimes mentioned they're from manuscripts originally written in a certain (fantastical) language, and merely translated by the author. McKeirnan is far from a rock star, but he is published very regularly.
Never read him, but the first paragraph in his 1 book listed on Amazon (the King of Elfland's Daughter) is:

In their ruddy jackets of leather that reached to their knees the men of Erl appeared before their lord, the stately white-haired man in his long red room. He leaned in his carven chair and heard their spokesman.

He started this one with description, rather than exposition (backstory). As a first sentence it does sorta introduce a character ("their lord") and he is doing something (sitting! and listening).

(Though in reading the rest of it I can catch what you mean in the voice used -- it sort of reads like something written in some old historical, with sentences starting with "And thus..."!)

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#63 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 05:28 PM

These word-count conversations are making me curious. I'm writing in a notebook because I find the computer zaps my creativity, so I have no idea how many words I write per day. I'm guessing that the count is pretty low since I only started about 2-3 weeks ago. I guess I'll type the first draft into Word when I finish (in 2020?).

I'm also a closet-writer - you are the only folks that know - and I find it easier to sneak into the closet (literally sometimes) with a notebook...

I also want to say that you are all very brave. I may never be able to share my novel with anyone. I guess that might keep me from getting published, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambylove View Post
I don't know about you guys, but when you get an idea, do you play it out in your head as if it were a movie?
Yes! But then I have to wait hours (and often days) to write it down! Ugh!

Quote:
Also, what would you say your weakness is about writing novels? For example, I would say mine is not getting any motivation.
Weakness #1 - I tend to only write about my characters, and could care less about setting (temperature, smells, sounds). Working on this....

Weakness #2 - I get frustrated because sometimes I sit there and the writing flows without labor, while other times I can't seem to string together a grammatical sentence.

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#64 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
I don't know about you guys, but when you get an idea, do you play it out in your head as if it were a movie? When I got this idea, I suddenly saw the first scene in my head, in vibrant colors, playing out for me. Also, what would you say your weakness is about writing novels? For example, I would say mine is not getting any motivation.
I'm am JUST like this, in fact I spend more time playing through the scenes ad dialogue in my head than actually writing. I wrote a screenplay last year- which was really fun because I really got to do just that- make up scenes and dialogue with no exposition other than camera direction. I still really want to novel, though- I just need to learn to translate my people and words into something as vibrant in writing as in my head.

Lets help each other figure out how to do that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire View Post

I also want to say that you are all very brave. I may never be able to share my novel with anyone. I guess that might keep me from getting published, huh?

Weakness #1 - I tend to only write about my characters, and could care less about setting (temperature, smells, sounds). Working on this....

Weakness #2 - I get frustrated because sometimes I sit there and the writing flows without labor, while other times I can't seem to string together a grammatical sentence.
I worry about sharing my book too- I love it so much yet, sometimes I feel so pretentious saying "I wrote a book". I feel sort of unworthy of the "author" title, especially after reading something really amazing.

As far as your weaknesses, I totally understand! I have a hard time getting my setting integrated with whats going on with my characters. I'm not sure what that means for me as a writer- maybe thats my "style"? Or perhaps my writings just way too thin? It's tough!

Also, I understand about being able to produce sometimes and other times, feeling completely useless at the key board.

I hope I can find my voice in writing- I'm sure my style is going to be less formal than other authors, I just can't seem to write any other way. I want the kind of writing that people recognize as, "Oh, this is like Carolyn's writing" (and not have that be an insult.
#65 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
I would say about half the time I play it out in my head like a movie. Then the other half the time I struggle and drag myself through something I know has to happen but don't feel very motivated about.

Weakness... yeah... motivation!

Also, writing-wise, I find I tend to over-concentrate on one thing (ie, getting the dialogue perfect in a scene) to the exclusion of other things (ie, remembering to give my characters gestures and facial expressions).

I'm also decent about adding visual description and horrible about adding sounds or scents.

Quote:
These word-count conversations are making me curious. I'm writing in a notebook because I find the computer zaps my creativity, so I have no idea how many words I write per day.
I ride the bus to work and back and do a lot of notebook scribbling on the bus. The bus is my best thinking time! I'm often surprised how much I can scribble down on a page (I always try to sit down later in the evening and re-type my scribbles... my handwriting is so bad that if I wait too long I might be completely unable to decipher the scene).

Quote:
I think it would be really, really hard to share something so big right off! For many years I only wrote fanfiction, and then when I started writing seriously I really only finished and shared short stories. I've been collecting short story rejections for like 6 years now.

OH AND SPEAKING OF SHORT STORIES! I didn't share last week because I was so busy worrying about the pregnancy/retreat thing going well... I sold a short story last week! I signed a contract and everything! The magazine I sold it to isn't a big pro place but they pay pro rates (that's 5-cent per word for SF/F). It won't actually appear "in publication" until like October, though.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#66 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
OH AND SPEAKING OF SHORT STORIES! I didn't share last week because I was so busy worrying about the pregnancy/retreat thing going well... I sold a short story last week! I signed a contract and everything! The magazine I sold it to isn't a big pro place but they pay pro rates (that's 5-cent per word for SF/F). It won't actually appear "in publication" until like October, though.
This is AWESOME! That must feel great!
#67 of 129 Old 03-10-2009, 11:16 PM
Banned

That is SO amazing, Erin! Congratulations!!!

The first line of my current book is "The other car’s cold headlights swallowed up my rear view mirror and I felt my own car jolt and scrape off of the road." I like to start in medias res, . In fact, I did it for practically every chapter of the book, with some action, dialogue, or description, and now I'm having to go and move stuff around, because I was worried it was jumping around too much. But I'm keeping it for the first chapter.

I just realized, as I told DD while she nursed that her hands smelled of oranges and crayons (very sweet!), that I have NO sense of smell in my writing. I overwrite visuals and thoughts and some sounds and feelings, but I have got to go through and add in some smells!
#68 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia
Congrats! I am very glad to hear this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia
I would say about half the time I play it out in my head like a movie. Then the other half the time I struggle and drag myself through something I know has to happen but don't feel very motivated about.

Weakness... yeah... motivation!

Also, writing-wise, I find I tend to over-concentrate on one thing (ie, getting the dialogue perfect in a scene) to the exclusion of other things (ie, remembering to give my characters gestures and facial expressions).

I'm also decent about adding visual description and horrible about adding sounds or scents.
I used to do that. I was the person who focused more of the scene, what was going on, what the characters were feelings, and details of the places instead of my dialogue. I had to do a lot of practice, and thinking up realistic dialogue. It took a while, but the main thing is that you realize your weak points and now you can work on it. Have you tried just practicing and write a page, devoting a certain amount of time to dialogue, then character development, etc? Sometimes that can work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDmaze
I'm am JUST like this, in fact I spend more time playing through the scenes ad dialogue in my head than actually writing. I wrote a screenplay last year- which was really fun because I really got to do just that- make up scenes and dialogue with no exposition other than camera direction. I still really want to novel, though- I just need to learn to translate my people and words into something as vibrant in writing as in my head.

Lets help each other figure out how to do that!
I know what you mean about writing scripts. I also did that, using one of them for my senior project when I was studying Film. Sometimes I find it hard to take the scripts to a novel or the other way around. I have a few past novels that I would love to make into a script, but many times I find that I make it too descriptive. But i like the idea to help each other, just give me a PM anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyClaire

Thanks for sharing your weaknesses. Like I mentioned to Aufilia, it gets sorta hard to focus on all aspects and not just one. I love writing about my characters, but after I go back sometimes I try to force myself to write about the scene, places, and other details. Now, your second weakness I completely understand!! That is every day for me, off and on. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal with this?
#69 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 02:18 AM

Aufilia, congratulations on the sale!

JennyClaire, I write by hand as well. I've written on the computer before, but the portability and ease of use in an actual notebook (as opposed to notebook computer) can't be beat.

Quote:
I'm not sure this is a huge weakness. As a reader, I'm not a fan of a huge amount of description. Some authors seem to get distracted from their story by their description, & if it goes on too long I find that I completely lose the narrative thread. (Not to mention that when it takes me 10 minutes to read through three or four pages of description, and yet time hasn't moved at all in the story, it's annoying.)

My biggest weakness? I sometimes have difficulty making sure there is a clear strand of action for things. For instance, I wrote a description of the heroine's workroom and, though it was essentially a thumbnail sketch, I worry I left out a couple of important things. I didn't mention certain stuff that she used a few pages later. I'm not even certain I needed to, but it nags at the back of my mind.

My other big problem--and it's not half as bad as it used to be--I have a habit of unconsciously mimicking the writing style of whatever author I'm reading currently. If I'm working on a short story, I have to be very careful not to be derivative.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#70 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
As a reader, I'm not a fan of a huge amount of description. Some authors seem to get distracted from their story by their description, & if it goes on too long I find that I completely lose the narrative thread. (Not to mention that when it takes me 10 minutes to read through three or four pages of description, and yet time hasn't moved at all in the story, it's annoying.)
I'm this type of reader as well, but I always thought there was something wrong with ME, not the author. The books I'm currently reading about how to write fiction say that neglecting these details is one sign of an amateur writer. However, as a reader I only want to know about the characters, not the style of the fence, the breed of the horse, or the pattern of the wallpaper. My love for books is almost entirely based on connection to the characters. It's nice to know that there are other readers like me, because I just don't know if I'm going to care enough to add much scenic description!

Quote:
My other big problem--and it's not half as bad as it used to be--I have a habit of unconsciously mimicking the writing style of whatever author I'm reading currently.
Me too. My father said he used to read Shakespeare before writing speeches for this very reason. Maybe the key (if you have this problem) is to avoid only really crappy writers while you are working on something?

CONGRATULATIONS Aufilia!

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#71 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I'm this type of reader as well, but I always thought there was something wrong with ME, not the author. The books I'm currently reading about how to write fiction say that neglecting these details is one sign of an amateur writer. However, as a reader I only want to know about the characters, not the style of the fence, the breed of the horse, or the pattern of the wallpaper. My love for books is almost entirely based on connection to the characters. It's nice to know that there are other readers like me, because I just don't know if I'm going to care enough to add much scenic description!
Well, I think it's true to an extent that you need some description. IMO it's good to have at least a thumbnail sketch of where you are & what you're doing. But things like smells? To me, as both a reader & a writer, that's something I only want to see if it's going to be important, either then or later. Scent is important if the main characters are about to discover a dead body, not so much if they're in the car driving somewhere. With something like cdmaze & her opener at a bar, I'm not saying including scents would hurt the work, but don't most people already have a concept of what a bar smells like? Of even the sounds and the light level? So while it certainly wouldn't hurt it, I'm not convinced that leaving it out would do so either, or that going back & including it would necessarily help things.

This is one reason I had to finally put down the "improve your writing" books and just write. I was using reading them as an excuse to not put pen to paper. Just the same I am trying to cut back some on reading in my genre of choice (I can't bear to abandon it altogether!), because I'm starting to get paranoid about how many elements of my story are included in other stories. The issues I'm dealing with are rather narrow, and though some of them were 100% unique when I started out--the werewolves who are secret & debating whether to "come out", for instance--a couple of published authors obviously had the same ideas, but actually got theirs into print. So I'm reading a lot of memoirs and politics right now.

ETA: On the description front, remember that all genres & subgenres have their conventions and even then they're friable. Urban fantasy has a pretty good variety of descriptions, from Laurell K Hamilton's sometimes pages-long descriptions (especially in her Merry Gentry novels) on down. One of Kim Harrison's novels, I was more than halfway through it before I realized one of the characters was black. (He was either the adopted son or the stepson of a white character.) It took her that long to mention it. There have been a few others where I could never remember what color the heroine's hair was, because it had been mentioned only in passing.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#72 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 12:47 PM

(this is such a great thread, btw)

I love Amy Tans books, and her description was so much a part of why she's successful. But, I can't seem to get even close to that sort of writing. As I write and re-wrtie my story, though, I'm getting closer to the details that might make a scene more powerful. I'm trying to describe those things better.

That being said, my descriptions are pretty weak, I'm sure.

My biggest weakness? POINT OF VIEW. I just can't get a handle on it. I know my characters very well- I know all the backstory, but can't figure out whose head to write from. (or what that even means) I feel tremendously ignorant right now!

My re-write (which I posted that little excerpt from) is trying to be in first person, but it's not right.

I read mostly fantasy, YA and I suppose some mainstream fiction. I am worried that reading so much YA has lowered my language standards.
#73 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm starting to get paranoid about how many elements of my story are included in other stories. ...--a couple of published authors obviously had the same ideas, but actually got theirs into print.
A professional at a writer's conference read my "Harley opened the fridge and god smiled" piece. His comment was it reminded him of the refrigerator scene in Ghostbusters. I can see that and have been unsure what to do. My story is in no way similar to that movie and I don't want someone to pick up the book, read the first paragraph, and think it is. I think the first page is really good at setting up the characters and their conflicts so I just sort of ignore the whole thing and leave it in. All the while wondering if I should take it out.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#74 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Yes! Currently I'm 'hearing' my characters converse (tones of voice, accents) and 'seeing' them in vivid detail (what they're wearing, hair color, style, etc.) I haven't actually seen where they are yet. Which feels very weird. LOL!

Quote:
I'm also a closet-writer - you are the only folks that know - and I find it easier to sneak into the closet (literally sometimes) with a notebook...
Yes! I'm feeling sort of secretive about it, not because it is something to hide, but because I am sooo very shy by nature.

I'm also finding that music is really triggering my writing side. I thought it would distract me, but it is the complete opposite. It's like I'm listening to my movie's soundtrack. I'm grabbing it while it lasts! LOL

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#75 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM

I totally have a soundtrack for my book- it's a playlist on my iPod titled "Blood Freckles" (my working title.)

I change it here and there, but I'm honing it down to perfect. I find music so inspiring!

Ok, heres a question- anyone "cast" their main characters? Do you have people in your mind that you think of when you write? Or are they totally original.

For me, my main character is original. I can't find anyone who is really "her". But my love interest, as a far as looks, is definetly a certain actor.
#76 of 129 Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmaze View Post
I totally have a soundtrack for my book- it's a playlist on my iPod titled "Blood Freckles" (my working title.)

I change it here and there, but I'm honing it down to perfect. I find music so inspiring!

Ok, heres a question- anyone "cast" their main characters? Do you have people in your mind that you think of when you write? Or are they totally original.

For me, my main character is original. I can't find anyone who is really "her". But my love interest, as a far as looks, is definetly a certain actor.
On music...
It's difficult for me to write to any music with words. So most of it is melodies. When I do end up listening to songs, they find their way into the writing... Eternal Flame (the Bangles), I even posted it on my blog because of how much it messed up my plot!

On casting characters...
I looked and found pictures that fit about 80-90% as far as representing my characters. Two out of three pictures are actually drawings. I can't picture any actor playing them yet. I guess that makes them original?

P.S. Aufilia, congrats on selling your story! how exciting!:

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#77 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 12:26 PM

I have a few songs that are just perfect- they shaped the feelings in my story. Both are Iron and Wine. I feel like it's so much easier to get into the mindset of my story if I pop on some music.

I wrote another story last year that was sort of based on a "what if" in my own life- what if one of my relationships didn't end- and we found each other again. (totally fictionalized- its really "what if" that one guy wasn't a total jerk and didn't use me and dump me, that sort of thing.)

I used all this wonderfully sappy music from the 50's and 60's- it was so great. I had so much fun writing the story and writing the music itself into it.

My husband always cuts out pictures in his character notebooks (yes, he has notebooks- he's all about structured outlines, index cards, reference notebooks, interviews, etc. I think he enjoys that more than the writing itself!). He got me started on that.

Like I said before- this current main character is a totally original person. Shamefully, it seems my main character have an uncanny resemblance to myself- even in flaws. They're always brunette, average height, average weight, bad skin, flat chested. I think I just can't imagine being anything else. But this time- my MC is red head. And...that may be the only difference. I drew a picture of her- trying hard not to give her my features, though, she is alot like me in personality.

I'm loving my two male characters- I feel like I really "know" them and know how they'd react to situations. I've written a ton of backstory on them (thats not going into the novel itself). I am having a hard time not writing from one of their points of view- t wouldn't work unless I did 3rd person or something. (which I tried and failed....terribly)
#78 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 05:16 PM

My characters are a wee bit Mary Sue-ish. Usually they're short, busty, & left-handed. I try not to let it go any farther than that, though.

Some authors really only write one main character, varied slightly by novel. These are sometimes very successful authors. Ninety-nine percent of Barbara Cartland's heroines had silver-blonde hair & green eyes. (She claimed to have never written the same novel twice. Guess she didn't count having the same heroine every time.) Laurell K Hamilton has slightly more variety, but all of her heroines are short, busty, snarky, & with one dead parent. (This is excluding the work she's done in other folks' worlds.)

I'm not sure this is 100% a bad thing. I think most authors tend to write one "type" of main character. I think Kelley Armstrong has a lot of variety with her heroines, even within the strictures of her very narrow world, but she sticks out to me as pretty unusual.

I don't typically have a person in mind to base my characters off of, but I do keep an eye out for pictures. My MC in the novel I'm writing now, I found a picture in one of my crochet books of all places that I scanned, turned to greyscale, and then printed out and hand-colored. The hero, I have a picture from a recruiting ad of all places, but it's not really "him", just someone to look at. Physically, he's actually based in no small part off a man I had a chance encounter with at a gas station right off Ft Sam Houston; he had some burns on his face & neck and I've cribbed that for the physical description of my hero (especially a sort of "bitten off" look to one ear).

The tragically scarred antihero isn't terribly uncommon either, but I am trying to make my description of his injuries realistic, and I'm trying to hold onto the sex appeal this guy obviously still had.

#79 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 PM

My stories are mostly made of moments that I love, strung together by the actual story. I think I write backwards. (I just came to this realization as I have been writing today.)

I have so far to go.

I know some of you have attended classes, retreats, etc. What do you recommend I do to polish up my skills? Take a course? I really am so new at all this- I need feedback, and instruction.
#80 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I know some of you have attended classes, retreats, etc. What do you recommend I do to polish up my skills? Take a course? I really am so new at all this- I need feedback, and instruction.
There are some really good books on writing. Stehpen King's comes to mind. It's more an autobiography than a writing book but I recall it being good. We got it as a book on tape with him reading it and that was grand. Can't think of any other books now. WIll add here if I do.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#81 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM

I love Stephen King's book. I really do. I love Stephen King to begin with. If you think his work is dreck, you probably won't want to know how he writes. But I think it's wonderful.

One of my favorite resources is Holly Lisle's Forward Motion part of her website. Lots of good info there.

#82 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:

One of my favorite resources is Holly Lisle's Forward Motion part of her website. Lots of good info there.
What an outstanding website! Exactly what I've been looking for!

New endeavor coming soon...
Raising Alice in Wonderland (DSD, 17), and in love with a Superman
#83 of 129 Old 03-12-2009, 11:37 PM

This is GREAT!!
#84 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 AM

here is my opening sentence:

The night air felt cool against my skin, which was a welcoming respite from the sweltering summer heat.

Of course, I'm thinking of re-starting further up in the novel and then flashing back, so this is my second choice for an opening sentence:

Sometimes things just don’t make sense. The phrase bounced around in my head, seemingly simplistic, as I climbed out of the taxi, grabbing my carry-on bag.

#85 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I arrived at Asgar Manor near dusk, on horseback and alone.
Personally, I like this opening sentence. It's not an info dump, but I come away with knowing quite a bit from such a concise sentence.
#86 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
A professional at a writer's conference read my "Harley opened the fridge and god smiled" piece. His comment was it reminded him of the refrigerator scene in Ghostbusters.
I didn't get that at all. I got something along the lines that Harley opened the fridge and s/he is in a good place, feels as though all the choices s/he is making are perfect, as if God Himself couldn't have done better, even as s/he reaches for his/her second helping of ice-cream...

#87 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Oh, yeah. I had to cast "Sawyer" from LOST as my MC's lover...at least in looks and grins

The rest are a potluck of me, myself, and I, swirled with many family members and friend characteristics...it would be interesting to see who thinks a certain character is "THEM"...none of my characters are just one person, a mishmash, a conglomeration of folks that I know or have known...
#88 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM

My weakness(es)...

...I start writing one book and end up writing a totally different book so I have to go back and fix the entire first half!

...I let my characters boss me around. I start them off as one way and they say, NO, and change themselves on me and turn the plot up side down...

...And I can't stop writing/daydreaming my next 3 books, one that is the sequel to the one I'm writing now, and the next two are of a totally different genre...

I guess mine is focus, plane and simple. I can't just stick to it, I bounce all over the place! (but that's me in a nut shell)

:
#89 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
here is my opening sentence:

The night air felt cool against my skin, which was a welcoming respite from the sweltering summer heat.

Of course, I'm thinking of re-starting further up in the novel and then flashing back, so this is my second choice for an opening sentence:

Sometimes things just don’t make sense. The phrase bounced around in my head, seemingly simplistic, as I climbed out of the taxi, grabbing my carry-on bag.

Ok, I'm a dork...I'm quoting myself here (lack of sleep makes me giddy)...

I think I'm doing the flashback now that I see it here. I like the second try as an opener

I'll stop posting over and over again now...
#90 of 129 Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
My weakness(es)...

...I start writing one book and end up writing a totally different book so I have to go back and fix the entire first half!

...I let my characters boss me around. I start them off as one way and they say, NO, and change themselves on me and turn the plot up side down...

:
I love it when my characters "boss me around." I think the writing is much better if I step out of the way and let the characters take over.

MommyHawk, my suggestion to you would be to let nature take its course and don't try to control what happens.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page