Noveling in April - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 04-20-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBreeze View Post
So even though we are only on chapter 4 I really feel like we have accomplished a lot. The chapters average 30 pages typed and feel very...done, if you know what I mean?
So wish me luck, we hope to finish chapter 4 and 5 by the end of April. :
No, seriously, it could happen...
welcome and congrats! sounds like a great conglomeration
#32 of 38 Old 04-20-2009, 10:40 AM

Things are moving slowly here. I'm a little torn. I had a wonderful talk with someone for research for my current project and I so want to sit down and write, but motherhood is not giving me the chance. DH is a busy artist and musician and is starting his traveling season. He is the money maker and can't take time to watch the girls for me. We don't have it in the budget to pay anyone and all of our parents work so we can't ask them for help too often. It is frustrating to have all this in my head and to not be able to get it down on paper, or computer. At this rate it'll take me 5 years to finish a novel. Anyone have any suggestions?

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#33 of 38 Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
Things are moving slowly here... It is frustrating to have all this in my head and to not be able to get it down on paper, or computer. At this rate it'll take me 5 years to finish a novel. Anyone have any suggestions?
HELLO! I sat down this morning to write and within 10 minutes of opening my file I had two kids in my lap and it's taken me hours to get back here alone...all to have to run upstairs to see what the screaming/crying is all about!

I used to write late at night, sometimes until 4am, and it was great! but then the next day I'd be totally out of it and wasn't a good mother...As much as I hate TV, I've learned to use it as a tool - whenever I want/need to write, I pop in a movie or something on PBS (no commercials!) and write for at least an hour 'uninterrupted'.... I don't let them watch TV any other time during the day, so they are ready for their fix when it comes and then they don't bother me - usually

I've also found a friend or two I can swap-babysit with and that has workeda few times, although not recently (it would be nice to do this once a week, every week!)...

My 5yo almost understands that mommy has to 'go into her head' to write and that when he jumps on me or starts talking to me I leave that world that I need to write about...so he's learning to not startle me or jump on me...my 2yo?...well, three years to go for her understanding

I'm having a real hard time editing and staying on task. It seemed easier for me to put off everything and everyone to write the 1st draft...but now that it's done, I feel sluggish getting back here to edit it...got to get a deadline for myself! maybe that'll help
#34 of 38 Old 04-21-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I'm having a real hard time editing and staying on task. It seemed easier for me to put off everything and everyone to write the 1st draft...but now that it's done, I feel sluggish getting back here to edit it...got to get a deadline for myself! maybe that'll help
I hate editing.
I really don't think I could get through it without my nephew's help. Today we went back to a section of chapter 1 (so much for having it "done") to add something we had left out. As I went over it again and again trying to get the new piece to fit in I finally just stopped and had a little whine party about how I was starting to get sick of this chapter and we should just leave the add on out. After a moment of letting me blow off steam he looked at me and said "Stop being lazy, your better than that." So we plugged on and sure enough he was right, and it is WAY better with the new edition than without. Some times I need a good push and encouragement at the same time.
Is their anyone irl that you could read it to, or have read it and give you feed back? Maybe seeing it fresh through someone else's eyes will give you the needed encouragement? In the mean time : from me to you, hang in there I heard that editing is the hardest part, and believe it to be true.

Loved wife to JT and grateful mother to M (dd age 13) L (dd age 10) T (ds age 6) A (ds age 4) E (dd age 2) and C & S (twin boys born 10/13/10)
and yes, I blog. thumb.gif
#35 of 38 Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM

I finally sat myself down to start writing (I've been "researching" and incubating but needed to just get going even if it was crap). And the moment I get OO Writer opened my baby girl needed me. Figures.
#36 of 38 Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
We don't have it in the budget to pay anyone and all of our parents work so we can't ask them for help too often. It is frustrating to have all this in my head and to not be able to get it down on paper, or computer. At this rate it'll take me 5 years to finish a novel. Anyone have any suggestions?
This is so tough --- it's hard enough to get in the "mommying" and the MINIMUM housework (laundry, kitchen) --- never mind a moment to write. I pretty much never write on weekdays because it takes me a little while to get back into the story. Neither of my children like to go more than 5 minutes without asking, "But why, Mommy?" OR "ouch, he pushed me!" So I try to get in at least 8 hours on the weekend. And it is NOT ENOUGH.

Most of my time these days is spent fantasying about being able to afford a few mornings of daycare a week.

Why am I not writing now? Well, my 2-year-old is crying for me --- we are trying to get back in the habit of having dh put him to bed --- otherwise he's up with me until almost 11:00. The crying is breaking my heart and I can't concentrate on the novel.

I'm also having a problem with one of the characters who is in a coma. After some research, I have discovered that there is almost no way she could wake up after seven years without being significantly brain-damaged. So how else could she be incapacitated (after a suicide attempt) and still come back into the story? ANY suggestions welcome --- I am STUCK!

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#37 of 38 Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM

I've only managed to write about 2000 words in the past three weeks. We are getting over a cold and the kids just never let me write!

I am happy to report that I'm at 22,000 words so about a 1/4 of the way through. I started on the 15th of March so at this rate I'll be ready for final editing in September...lol if summer doesn't get in the way.

I'm so excited about my story. Originally I thought it was steampunk fantasy but now I think it's more scifi lite...I don't know, it's kinda in between.
#38 of 38 Old 05-01-2009, 05:32 PM

I got to workshop with Gurney Norman (poet laureate of KY) and Mitchell L.H. Douglas one of the founding members of Affrilachian Poets! I am blown away... really. Inspired, Rededicated, Prepared. Everything I need to start new. Mr. Norman signed my copy of Kinfolks, and he said he read my story that one the award bearing his name! Wow! He's my writing Superhero. A golden moment for sure.

I've been up since 5am writing. I want to write more but feel jet lagged or something. The plane has landed. I think I got a solid first chapter draft though. From here on out I'm going linear with my novel. Taking the events that I've written, put them in order, build them up, and add to them. Lots of work, but I'm looking forward to it. I think I'll get a word count soon too just to see where I stand.

Still plugging away with submitting to contests and journals. Hoping that my short story collection will get enough attention in some literary magazines to give me some publishing credits by the time I finish the novel/novels. We'll see. That's always a shot in the dark.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page