Need Advice! Just went from SAHM to WAHM(writing at home mom) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted this under WAHM and they suggested I come to this forum......

I am freaking out! There is not enough time to do everything and I just go from one thing to another and I feel like I'm not getting anything done.

The dishes need to be done, we have about 6 or 7 loads of laundry to do and I still am not getting any work done. I feel like the walls are closing in. I opened the windows (high of 49 today) and have talk radio on which has seemed to help.

How do you-all organize your time?

I have 3 e-mail accounts now, including my personal e-mail, I have 2 twitter accounts (including a personal one), a facebook page, but want to start a group on FB to go with my new blog. My goal is to get my blog up and running and make sure it is very professional and eventually sell some ad space on it. I'm reading about building blogs, marketing yourself, etc., etc.

How can I get everything done? but more importantly, how can I organize my time so I get more than tid-bits done?

Oh ya and dd now says - "are you on twitter or your blog again? it's not like it's important!". She is 13 and is developmentally delayed and she sees computer time as fun time and just thinks I have an addiction to the internet. OK, that could be true but that's beside the point

Oh ya, and the lazy blog listed in my signature isn't the one I'm working on

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#2 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 01:17 PM

It takes a great deal of letting go...

I print the novel chapters so I'm not on the computer working on those rewrites

I write several blog posts per night some times and schedule them(although sometimes I also reschedule them

and I do a big walk through in the morning, a big walk through after bedtime...and the rest I do as I go...laundry is an ongoing thing, take a break, make a tea, put in laundry.

But I very recently sat the kids down and told them about my "work" and how important it is to me and the family and they've been very considerate about giving me the time I need, though I still do most of it early morning and late night.

Write yourself a schedule(routine, flexibility is important) and follow it, just like a day at the office.
#3 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks allgirls, it is helpful to hear what other people do.

#4 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 07:39 PM

Yes, lowering expectations and prioritising. I find that working on several projects on the computer makes me feel that I accomplish nothing, especially if this involves social networking. I get distracted and think that I need another 15 minutes, and then another. I'm not fond of this feeling I think it is a good idea to set time limits for social networking, otherwise it sucks you in and leaves you drained.

But right now I'm redesigning my blog, and the by-line is going to be "Simple Living in Perpetual Clutter" So here, I said it. My expectations are rather low. I'm kind to myself and gentle.

It will take some time to settle into a routine. And you will feel like you're accomplishing more after all the initial set up is done. Good luck!

My kids are 8, 5 and 2!
#5 of 12 Old 04-09-2009, 11:55 PM

Pretty much what everyone else says
Every so often I completely freak out over one part of my life that's not working (parenting, marriage, work, housework, friendship etc) then do a big effort on that front.
Mostly though I muddle along and feel like I do everything sort of so-so with the occasional glimmer of beauty.
#6 of 12 Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

thanks you guys - that helps a lot

#7 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 02:57 PM

i agree with what everyone else has posted but also wanted to add that i can't say enough good things about mother's helpers.

we have a couple of young women who come over 1-2 times a week to watch the kids while i work. they also help me with small jobs around the house (running out to the barn to collect eggs, grabbing a few pieces of firewood to bring in, tidying up).

it's really been a very positive experience for all of us!
#8 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 07:16 PM

It's amazing how much you can accomplish in 10 minutes.

The following paragraph is full of generalizations and might not be true for you.

If your husband always gets home at the same time, make sure he comes into a clean house. Women- we're one way and men are another. We come home from the grocery store and get right to work doing something, but men require a period of decompression, where they sit down to relax. If the home isn't welcoming and relaxing, they end up being jerks. making sure that my husband always walks into a clean house helps. Even if it's messy all day long, as long as it's clean when he gets home, it's OK. And food.

As far as time-saving goes, I try to automate everything I can. My rss feeds auto-tweet and you can auto-update your facebook that way, too.

When I started this job, we NEEDED a certain amount of money, my husband was out of work and success was my only option. I set a daily financial goal and didn't stop working until i reached it. I had my older kids prepare the meals so that my time offline was spent helping with schoolwork or playing. I crock-potted a lot, and had a lot of healthy snackfoods available.

Good luck to you.
#9 of 12 Old 04-11-2009, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarussell View Post
It's amazing how much you can accomplish in 10 minutes.

The following paragraph is full of generalizations and might not be true for you.

If your husband always gets home at the same time, make sure he comes into a clean house. Women- we're one way and men are another. We come home from the grocery store and get right to work doing something, but men require a period of decompression, where they sit down to relax. If the home isn't welcoming and relaxing, they end up being jerks. making sure that my husband always walks into a clean house helps. Even if it's messy all day long, as long as it's clean when he gets home, it's OK. And food.

As far as time-saving goes, I try to automate everything I can. My rss feeds auto-tweet and you can auto-update your facebook that way, too.

When I started this job, we NEEDED a certain amount of money, my husband was out of work and success was my only option. I set a daily financial goal and didn't stop working until i reached it. I had my older kids prepare the meals so that my time offline was spent helping with schoolwork or playing. I crock-potted a lot, and had a lot of healthy snackfoods available.

Good luck to you.
OK, there's some good advice in there but the stuff about having the house clean and some food ready when he gets home is way over the top for me. My husband's mood is not dependent on the condition of the house, nor am I responsible for my husband's mood - he is.

My priorities are, not being on the computer 24-7(especially when dd is home), laundry and dishes (so we at least have plates to eat on and clothes to wear), working on my blog and getting something significant done every day, twitter, facebook.....also I volunteer at an ESL class 2 x a week until noon.

I do want to set it up so my tweets and FB are done automatically from my blog.

I think it's been extra hard because dd has been on spring break for a week and a half, and she wants my attention. I think if I treat my blogging, like someone said, like a job and schedule it out - maybe that will be better. This beginning stage is extra time consuming too.

#10 of 12 Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I think if I treat my blogging, like someone said, like a job and schedule it out - maybe that will be better.
i do my blogging in chunks. yesterday my dh took the kids out for the morning and i wrote posts for all of this week and scheduled them to run one per day.

i might go back in and tweak things or switch out a post if something more timely comes up that i want to write about but i love knowing my blog is all set to go for a week of new posts!!!
#11 of 12 Old 04-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmama View Post
i do my blogging in chunks. yesterday my dh took the kids out for the morning and i wrote posts for all of this week and scheduled them to run one per day.

i might go back in and tweak things or switch out a post if something more timely comes up that i want to write about but i love knowing my blog is all set to go for a week of new posts!!!
I do this sometimes as well although I haven't been ambitious enough to do a whole week! Great going!
#12 of 12 Old 04-15-2009, 11:53 AM

I've read about scheduling posts and need to start doing that.

What I do now:

*Fifteen minute cleaning sessions. I tried (and failed horribly at) Flylady and that was the one thing that stuck. I set the timer for fifteen minutes and clean whichever room needs work. I didn't think it would work but seriously, it makes such a huge difference. Knowing that there is a time limit both motivates me and speeds me up.

*Focus on a goal. I'm trying to start my own business in addition to kids, marriage, homeschooling, full-time job, hobbies (crafts, learning a few languages, acquiring the biggest movie and music collection known to man ), and writing (blogging, articles, novel, children's book), etc. I have so many things going on that it has been known to overwhelm me. So I've started making simple goals. Example: Today my goal is to write ten articles. If I get no other writing done, when those articles are done I will feel a sense of accomplishment.

*I try to alternate my time. I do something work-related like cleaning or writing, then I alternate with something fun. Then I do something fun with the kids (because, let's face it, what's fun for them isn't always fun for me). Then the circle goes back around. I generally don't put limits on fun kid time but I do on my me time. For example: It is now time to get back to work.

Mama to two boys and a girl.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page