Critique My Blog ~ MommyHawk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lia's blog is called Blissfully Beguiling ...pleasantly passing time...in everyday life...

I am still sadly behind in sending out PMs! : So here are...

Some General Blog Critique Questions to Get Started
  1. What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
  2. Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' the blogger?
  3. Is the content tight and professional?
  4. Is the writing interesting to read?
  5. Should the writing be strictly educational, or include personal posts to add some personality?
  6. Is the content worth coming back for?
  7. How can the blogger bring more traffic?
  8. How can the blogger generate more comments?
  9. Is there something that you feel would take the blog to the next level?

Please don't let the list overwhelm you! Even if you only answer one question, it's a huge help to our blogging mamas.

Please review the guidelines for requesting and giving critiques here and/or for information on how to sign up to have your blog critiqued. Thanks and have fun!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#2 of 15 Old 05-18-2009, 11:35 PM

i think the layout is not overwhelming at all, which i like and am often put off of blogs where i feel bombarded by words, pictures, links, etc. i like yours!

the writing is interesting to read. it is candid and fun...although i don't find it personally compelling, it was interesting to browse through.

Katie
#3 of 15 Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 PM

I like the blog a lot. Your writing is excellent and, in my opinion, that trumps any design questions or concerns. The simplicity works for me. I do get a sense of your personality and I think that the blog strikes a nice balance. I AM personally invested in your topic, so that probably skews my view, but then again, I guess I'm your audience.

Wendy ~ mom to VeeGee (6/05), who has PRS, Apraxia, SPD, VPI, a G-Tube, 14q duplication, and is a delightful little pistol! I'm an English professor and a writer.
#4 of 15 Old 05-20-2009, 01:41 AM

I do find that my blog (this one) is very broad - maybe TOO much so...it has the 'writing' aspect, but all other posts seem to be in the 'everyday' category...and that might be a bad thing...but I think for me (as one of those scattered brain folks out there) I needed something just for me to release in...and this does it... but then again I would love to be able to 'give' more and keep readers....
#5 of 15 Old 05-21-2009, 10:19 PM

What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
Very calm, relaxing, peaceful looking. Personally, I prefer seeing the profile at the top of the column, then the rss feeds etc. I like to be introduced to the person before being asked to subscribe, does that make sense? I know, it sounds a little silly.

I like the titles you have for each category in the right hand column. Sounds very nice and natural, mine sound boring and forced.

Another personal preference is to have less posts per page so that you don't scroll forever. (Technically, I guess it's the same amount of scrolling, it just feels like less. )

Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' the blogger?

Yes, it's pretty good.

Is the writing interesting to read?
Extremely! I love your "voice" and find your writing flows well and is very entertaining.

Is the content worth coming back for?
Yes.

Your topics are a little all over the place, but I still love reading your posts. I especially liked Get Rich!....A Secret To Absolute Wealth

.... and this may sound weird, but I feel like I know you from somewhere online, yet can't place you. Crazy, eh?

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#6 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I like this blog for the most part - you have a good voice and the writing flows well. I'm not so into the "inspirational"-type posts, but that's probably just because I'm nasty and maladjusted - I tend to skip over posts about the joys of motherhood or feeling blessed. : I don't think your blog is too broad - I like the mix of recipes and writing-related stuff and personal and crunchy. Not hugely taken with the design - too much white space? - but as VeeGeeMakes 3 says, writing trumps all!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#7 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 06:42 PM

thank you for such a wonderful review : after gushing with pride, something I rarely do I made all the changes you suggested. good ones!

I added you to my blog reel and am following your blog now
#8 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
I like this blog for the most part - you have a good voice and the writing flows well. I'm not so into the "inspirational"-type posts, but that's probably just because I'm nasty and maladjusted - I tend to skip over posts about the joys of motherhood or feeling blessed. : I don't think your blog is too broad - I like the mix of recipes and writing-related stuff and personal and crunchy. Not hugely taken with the design - too much white space? - but as VeeGeeMakes 3 says, writing trumps all!
this is why I just love blogging so much...I get to write...and people get to READ what I write! With writing a novel, it can be YEARS before anyone gets to read your writing...with blogging, it's only a matter of a click and PRESTO published and waiting
#9 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Another personal preference is to have less posts per page so that you don't scroll forever. (Technically, I guess it's the same amount of scrolling, it just feels like less. )
Just to mess things up, I'm the opposite. I read fast and lots, and hate having to keep clicking "Older Posts" (or worse, getting confused on those blogs which just have the arrows, and I can never remember whether left or right goes back!). On an eclectic blog I'm much more likely to keep reading if there are lots of posts per page, because if the first six posts I see happen to be about, say, making jam (which I'm not overly interested in), I can at least scroll down and see that the seventh is a funny anecdote or sewing-related, rather than assuming the whole blog is about jam-making, in which case I probably wouldn't click "Older Posts". You know?

MommyHawk, I totally agree with blogging vs novelling... then again, I can't wait for the high that I'm sure must come after publishing a REAL LIVE ACTUAL HARD COPY IN-THE-BOOKSTORE NOVEL, you know?

#10 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 07:07 PM

I liked it. Okay, that's not super helpful, but I'm short on time atm, lol I'll try to remember to come back!
The simple theme works, my only thing was that I had trouble with reading the sidebar/dates/links b/c of the font color. but I have sight issues, lol
I did get a feel for your personality, and I enjoyed the read.
#11 of 15 Old 05-24-2009, 02:36 PM

Hi,
I thought I would post a few things that struck me. First, I like your voice -- it's casual, fun, and informative.

1. What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
I thought this was good... the blog had a nice, soft feel. However, the light, light blue (used for links and sidebars, etc.) was a bit hard for me to read.

4. Is the writing interesting to read?
I thought the writing was good and moved along well, but like a few others, I wasn't sure what the main goal or content of the site was meant to be. Though, I noticed your subtitle AFTER the fact: "pleasantly passing time... in everyday life" and that does seem to explain it.

Overall, I thought it was a nice blog and had content I could identify with. I also liked learning about your other blog venture, too.

I hope this helps! And good luck with your novel!

Best,
Stacy
#12 of 15 Old 05-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Just to mess things up, I'm the opposite. I read fast and lots, and hate having to keep clicking "Older Posts" (or worse, getting confused on those blogs which just have the arrows, and I can never remember whether left or right goes back!). On an eclectic blog I'm much more likely to keep reading if there are lots of posts per page, because if the first six posts I see happen to be about, say, making jam (which I'm not overly interested in), I can at least scroll down and see that the seventh is a funny anecdote or sewing-related, rather than assuming the whole blog is about jam-making, in which case I probably wouldn't click "Older Posts". You know?

MommyHawk, I totally agree with blogging vs novelling... then again, I can't wait for the high that I'm sure must come after publishing a REAL LIVE ACTUAL HARD COPY IN-THE-BOOKSTORE NOVEL, you know?
do you think books will ever go out of style?
#13 of 15 Old 05-25-2009, 12:38 PM

I enjoy your blog as well. I really like the personal posts along with writing posts as I don't necessarily enjoy reading about day to day writing habits. I think they are unique to everyone... but I do like writing posts about craft and specific elements, developing story lines, researching articles... more specifics I guess.

I like the simplicity of the layout, but for some reason I look for more color to keep me there longer.

Your writing is very professional and flows beautifully. I enjoy reading your words.

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

#14 of 15 Old 05-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
do you think books will ever go out of style?
I dunno. It's not impossible; scrolls did. The Kindle has removed the "You can't curl up in bed with a computer" argument. Books are textural and sensory, but if the average reader was faced with a choice of "textural, sensory and $14.99" or "$2 download", I imagine most of us would go for the latter. Plus, much as I hate to admit it, e-books are way more eco-friendly.

But books-as-craft are big right now too - handmade leather journals and scrapbooks altered books and the like - sort of capitalising on the sensory thing! - so I doubt the format will die entirely. And if the change does come I imagine there'll be huge overlap, far more so than the manuscripts-to-print change.

And I really doubt kids' books will ever die out. "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" on a Kindle just wouldn't be the same, you know?

Anyway, it's all good incentive for us to finish our novels so we can get them done before books go out of style!

#15 of 15 Old 06-02-2009, 04:09 AM

thank you to everyone who said nice words about my writing/my blog. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be here, but it has been great to meet other writer mamas and have this friendship, even if only online. My blogs make absolutely no revenue - no cash, no money, no mula - but they DO pay me ten fold: I get to hear how people like/dislike my writing INSTANTLY

This makes blogging a great tool for us writers who - if writing a novel say - could possibly have to wait YEARS before we allow anyone to read our writing, only then getting to learn what others have to say about it...thank you to all the writer mamas. It's been a pleasure.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page