Critique My Blog ~ hollyvangogh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Holly has been a member of MDC for a year now. She blogs at Domestic Dork. "I write about anything and everything but be warned; all writing is done under the influence (of "mommy brain")!"

Even if you only pick and answer one question, it's a huge help to our blogging mamas. So please don't let the list overwhelm you! We appreciate every contribution.

: Some General Blog Critique Questions to Get Started :
  1. What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
  2. Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' the blogger?
  3. Is the content tight and professional?
  4. Is the writing interesting to read?
  5. Should the writing be strictly educational, or include personal posts to add some personality?
  6. Is the content worth coming back for?
  7. How can the blogger bring more traffic?
  8. How can the blogger generate more comments?
  9. Is there something that you feel would take the blog to the next level?

Please review the guidelines for requesting and giving critiques here and/or for information on how to sign up to have your blog critiqued. Thanks and have fun!

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 01:15 PM

All the basic questions in the OP pretty much cover what I want to know, especially questions regarding getting and maintaining traffic. But as I'm currently transitioning to a new (self made) design I'm also interested in knowing how it displays on different computers (especially screens that aren't widescreen). But most importantly I'd like to know the answers to questions 3, 4, and 6-9.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:56 PM

# What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
I like where you are going with the layout. I like the colors. The left side is a little blank, but it's under construction. I know no CSS and have no idea how to customize my blog...so you are braver than I.
# Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' the blogger? Yes, it is cute. Sounds upbeat.
# Is the content tight and professional? I feel like the content is loose actually. I found myself scanning a lot. It seems kind of conversational in tone, but from your profile it seems like that is what you are looking for.
# Is the writing interesting to read?
Yes, some posts more than others, but that is with anything of course. I liked the lengthier pieces. I'm not much on themed posts posting the goals one today. If there was more info as to why you started forgetting. How hard is it to add the extra water? Things like that, then it might read a little less like record keeping.
# Should the writing be strictly educational, or include personal posts to add some personality? I like variations and your topics seem to lend themselves to that.
# Is the content worth coming back for? Yes
# How can the blogger bring more traffic? still trying to figure that one out
# How can the blogger generate more comments? Still trying to figure that one out

Appalachian mountain woman, radical homemaker, homeschooler, childbirth educator, and doula loving her DH and three powerful little femmes. Deladis 8-4-05, Ivy 4-28-08, and Gweneth 7-21-12 HBA2C! hbac.gif  -  blogging.jpg ribboncesarean.gif

Old 05-25-2009, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastkygal View Post
#The left side is a little blank, but it's under construction.
Yeah. I'm in the process of learning how to put a menu under the illustration (with buttons for "about," "home," "e-mail," "popular posts", etc.).

Quote:
I feel like the content is loose actually. I found myself scanning a lot. It seems kind of conversational in tone, but from your profile it seems like that is what you are looking for.
This is good to know. I do want a relaxed, conversational tone. But I don't want to meander so much that people feel the need to scan. Now I know I need to work on this. One of the battles of ADD...I write the way my brain works.

Quote:
I'm not much on themed posts posting the goals one today. If there was more info as to why you started forgetting. How hard is it to add the extra water? Things like that, then it might read a little less like record keeping.
Interesting. I was trying to keep it short because I figured those details wouldn't be interesting. I guess I need to reconsider that.

Quote:
Is the content worth coming back for? Yes
: That's nice to hear!

Thanks for the feedback. I really want to improve so it's really important for me to hear constructive criticism!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 PM

Interesting? Must be, because I got engrossed in reading it, and forgot how I got over there So you scored that one
I like the drop down menu for the archives, and I like the theme overall.
I liked your about section, cute, brief, but it did give me a peek into you, so to speak.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:29 PM

i love your blog! i love your tone and the look/feel of your blog. i think that your theme is interesting, yet varied enough for you to sort of dart around in different directions if you like, and it keeps me interested. it's all quite clever, witty and cute!

i don't know how to subscribe without a google address...

Katie
Old 05-26-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
i don't know how to subscribe without a google address...
How about now?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:13 AM

I love the look of your blog and I absolutely love your theme and the way you use it throughout. (Like the titles in the sidebar)

The *only* thing I find distracting/not perfect is that the white background bubble is too small to hold all the text. Is it possible to make it longer so that it fills the page top to bottom so that the text always shows inside the bubble area? It's not a big deal, just me being silly.

I *love* your 'voice' and the way you write. You sound like you would be a fun person to hang out with. Reading your blog is like the next best thing. It feels like one of those blogs that you sit down with a cup of tea to relax and "chat" with someone.

Your profile is nice, gives a lot of info without going on too long.

As for more comments/visits, I would think about leaving comments on other blogs (like the muffin monday one) and write about how you loved the idea so much, you tried it out for yourself even though your DD wasn't old enough. That type of thing. You could also mention the ease with breastfeeding because some people might not have thought of it.

So yes, I would definitely come back for more. I didn't subscribe, but I added your link to my "fun blogs to read" folder.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

The *only* thing I find distracting/not perfect is that the white background bubble is too small to hold all the text. Is it possible to make it longer so that it fills the page top to bottom so that the text always shows inside the bubble area? It's not a big deal, just me being silly.
No, no! This is exactly the kind of thing I need to know! On my widescreen it doesn't do this. Obviously it's displaying differently on other computers. So I'll get on this.

Quote:
You could also mention the ease with breastfeeding because some people might not have thought of it.
Sorry, I'm confused. I don't understand what it is that you're suggesting.
ETA: Ohhh...you mean mentioning that on a comment?
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
Sorry, I'm confused. I don't understand what it is that you're suggesting.
ETA: Ohhh...you mean mentioning that on a comment?
Yeah, I was losing my train of thought when I posted that. Yeah, I meant that it would be a good thing to mention on Monday ladies blog in the comment section because some parents (like you) might have read about the muffin trays but filed it away for future use when their kids are older. BUT you found out they work great for YOU to eat from when you're sitting on the couch feeding DD.

As for the white text bubble, I have wide screen too (set to 1440x900). The bubble is wide enough for the text, just not long enough. There's a good 2-3 inches where it scrolls over the coloured background area at the bottom of the page. It's no biggy.

Blogging about renovations in our first home
Old 05-26-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherAtHome View Post

As for the white text bubble, I have wide screen too (set to 1440x900). The bubble is wide enough for the text, just not long enough. There's a good 2-3 inches where it scrolls over the coloured background area at the bottom of the page. It's no biggy.
Yes, I understood that you meant height, not width. It doesn't do it on my screen. But I think I know how I can fix it.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:07 PM

Ok, I subscribed! Hurray!

Katie
Old 05-26-2009, 05:51 PM

1. What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
The layout is nice and comfortable, although it does feel as if there should be something underneath your VERY CUTE icon of a mom holding a baby and a duster. There seems to be a lot of blue space there that the things in the left hand column would be more comfortable in . . .

2. Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' the blogger?
Yes, it reads well, but I don't get a sense of "dorkiness" from the profile blurb. It leaves me wondering if you really are a dork, or what you're a dork about. (Does that make any sense?)

3. Is the content tight and professional?
I like the content, and I find that the links embedded into the text are very professional.

4. Is the writing interesting to read?
Yes, it is!

5. Should the writing be strictly educational, or include personal posts to add some personality?
I like the informal plus educational aspects of the writing as it appears in the blog. Plenty of personality, but also informational.

6. Is the content worth coming back for?
Yup. I'm following your blog now. ^__^

7. How can the blogger bring more traffic?
MDC blogger's carnival?

8. How can the blogger generate more comments?
See above answer.

9. Is there something that you feel would take the blog to the next level?
Just mess around with the format more. Bring a little more visual balance, but KEEP WRITING!
Old 06-02-2009, 05:18 AM

wonderful writing style, love the layout (I can help with the CSS issues if you still need help) and all very interesting. I like the concept - I became a dust bunny myself
Old 06-08-2009, 12:12 AM

Would anybody be willing to take another look at my blog, specifically this post? I've gone out on a limb and written in a way I've never written before. And I'm feeling small and nervous about it. I'd really appreciate some feedback.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:54 AM

I posted a reply Holly. On your blog I addressed the substance of what you said. Here, I'll just tell you that I really enjoyed your honesty and the way you revealed yourself.

If you're telling something true, something real, I think it's fantastic to be raw and open and share yourself so intimately. I think everyone can relate to that.

I liked that post.

Crunchy check list:  2 homebirths (one accidental UC!), co-slept, no CIO, cloth diapers, home/un school, raw milk drinker (!) I am a walking cliche!! I even blog and knit...

User Tag List