So, the blog carnival idea... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A while ago there was a discussion of blog carnivals, and several people expressed interest in participating in one. I really like the idea of a carnival to see what other bloggers are doing and to attract readers. I'm wondering whether there's still any interest here?

I'd be willing to co-host one, if someone would volunteer to do it with me. I've been thinking maybe September or October. Maybe October is better. The reason I'm posting this now is that I generally need to think about things for a long time before I do them, and I'd like to use some of summer down time for that.

In terms of themes, I don't know, it could just be one where we introduce our blogs, though I kind of like the idea of a unifying topic. I've been thinking of themes like a day in the life, home/showing off where we live, highlighting cultural or family traditions, or even local foods. I'm not the most imaginative person, so I haven't been able to come up with much else. Any suggestions?

I hope there's some interest...I think this would be fun.

ETA: I'm thinking of the carnival as a one day thing, in which everyone would post on the theme on the same day, rather than the rotating kind of carnival. Which now that I think about it is actually a blog party. So reread this post, substituting party for carnival wherever it appears, then post if you're interested!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM

Souds interesting. I would have to get back with you on any theme ideas....

~Jasmine - Hunka Hub 8/07 - Mini Man 6/08 ~ Blog in profile! ~ Supporting Mothering through the WAHMarket ~
#3 of 35 Old 07-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Sounds like fun!:

Blogging about renovations in our first home
#4 of 35 Old 07-25-2009, 02:51 AM - Thread Starter

So there is some interest! To anyone else who is interested, but doesn't want to post because they don't want to commit to anything, just think about ideas for a theme over the rest of the summer.
#5 of 35 Old 07-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Maybe a boring idea, but what about a back-to-school, or in the case of home & unschoolers, a not-back-to-school theme?

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#6 of 35 Old 07-25-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

No, that's not a boring idea at all...

But I was a college professor and I gave it up to move to Italy and get married. I have no regrets but every autumn I become very nostalgic (and at times even melancholy) about the academic life I no longer have. So it might be a little hard on me to have "back-to-school" as a theme.
#7 of 35 Old 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM

I love this idea. We have some seasonal Fall family traditions that I could blog about and I would like to read about what other families do to celebrate Autumn. I like the back to school (or back to homeschool) theme too though.

Knit natural toys for your kids! Shop Hedgehog Lane and check out the simple-to-knit patterns for sweet toys and gifts. Visit my blog- Duo Fiberworks- for a crafty conversation between me and my twin sister.
#8 of 35 Old 07-25-2009, 08:43 PM

I'd be interested. I'm not sure what your thoughts on co-hosting are, but shoot me a PM and we can chat.

As for a theme, how about just fall celebrations? That could cover back-to-school, the changing seasons, Halloween, and a whole host of religious holidays.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#9 of 35 Old 07-26-2009, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

I like the idea of the fall theme. It's general enough that most people should be able to write something that fits the theme and would at the same time be relevant to their blog. Any other opinions or suggestions?

Amy, I'll send you a PM you during the week.
#10 of 35 Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 AM

I love the Autumn idea! It can be about what that time of years brings for each of us. Perfect.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#11 of 35 Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruething View Post
Maybe a boring idea, but what about a back-to-school, or in the case of home & unschoolers, a not-back-to-school theme?
i'd love to jump in on this back as dd is tiny i don't really have much to say about bts. i usually post about crafts i've made and happenings around the farm so an autumnal theme may be more doable for us.

raising and growing in the green mountains.chicken3.gif

#12 of 35 Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM

I'd be happy to help and join in. I love the Autumn idea and "A Day in the Life" is also cool because everyone can do it and I love seeing how other people go through their day.

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#13 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like Fall/Autumn is the winner.

So, what do we want to call this thing?
#14 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 09:14 AM

Can someone explain to me again how it actually works?

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#15 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Yes. I'd like a refresher on how it works too. I like the autumn them, I'm in:
#16 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

I was thinking of a one-day event, in which participants post something on the theme on the same day. The next day there would be a recap post with links to all the participants' posts on the host (and co-host, if applicable) blog.

Sometime before the blog party, the co-host and I would put up a post on our blogs announcing the party, etc. and asking that people who want to participate leave a comment with a link to their blog. That way we could post those links so that everyone would know who was participating and could visit participating blogs the day of the event. (Perhaps participants could also write posts publicizing the party, inviting other bloggers. I was also thinking we could make a badge that people could put in their sidebars if they wanted.) Then, after the participants put up their posts, they'd send one of the co-hosts the link to their party post, so that the final recap post would include links to the party posts rather than just the participating blogs. Or something like that. How does that sound? Does it make sense?

If anyone has any suggestions that would improve or refine that scenario, please post!
#17 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 12:10 PM

When you're getting ready to post the carnival on your blog, give me a nudge in a PM and I'll make an announcement post in here with the links to the host blogs so we can have an 'ad' for it in here but mod-posted so admin approved. This will be fun!

#18 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Subbing!
#19 of 35 Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 PM

I'm not really an active poster in this forum, but I'd love to participate! Any theme is fine with me

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
#20 of 35 Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 AM

I'd like to join in too

Mothering a beautiful boy

#21 of 35 Old 08-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigama View Post
I'm not really an active poster in this forum, but I'd love to participate! Any theme is fine with me
Ditto.
#22 of 35 Old 08-05-2009, 06:10 PM

I know I'm in the minority here but Fall/Autumn and Back To School aren't relevant in the Southern Hemisphere. A Day In The Life suits me better.
#23 of 35 Old 08-06-2009, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial*mama View Post
I know I'm in the minority here but Fall/Autumn and Back To School aren't relevant in the Southern Hemisphere. A Day In The Life suits me better.
You know, back when I was thinking up themes, I thought of seasons, but then thought, hmm, might not work because there might be bloggers in the southern hemisphere who'd want to participate. I forgot about that when so many people expressed interest in the Autumn theme.

I think that we can get around the problem easily by calling the event by the month it's planned for, rather than the season. that way bloggers in the southern hemisphere could highlight something that goes on that month without it having to be an autumn thing...would that work? I think it would actually make it more interesting to have a mix of autumn and spring during the same month.

I'm going to be on vacation for the next few weeks, so I may not get back to this thread until the end of the month.
#24 of 35 Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 AM

I would be happy to write about the month.

Quote:
I'm going to be on vacation for the next few weeks, so I may not get back to this thread until the end of the month.
Too bad, I'm anxious to get started.

ETA...but I hope you have a nice vacation. 3 weeks, wow!
#25 of 35 Old 09-09-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

It's taken me a while to get back to this thread. I hope no one's lost interest in the blog party in the time that I've been away!

Here's a rundown of the current situation:

I'll be cohosting the event with Amy (notjustmamie.) It'll be a one day blog party. Participants will post on the theme on same day, and a link to their posts on one or both of the co-host's blogs. The next day, the co-hosts post wrap-up posts with links to all the participants. Participants could also write posts publicizing the party before it happens. I think that should work well, though I'm sure there'll be some details to iron out. Input and suggestions from participants are welcome!

We still need a title. There was some agreement about a seasonal theme, Autumn, that could encompass fall traditions, family traditions, back-to-school, etc., but that won't work for participants from the southern hemisphere. I mentioned possibly doing a month theme, like October or November, above, but now that I've thought about it some more, that seems kind of boring. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
#26 of 35 Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 PM

I like "A Day in the Life Of..." and not just because I'm waaaay behind in doing one again.

i think it is fun to see how different people do things and if you wanted to show a particular thing (ie cooking, homeschooling, knitting, holidays, etc) you could do it then. I've seen posts with a lot of pictures showing the day, posts that were mostly written with a few pictures and people who do it with a slideshow (I've done the first and the last).

Oh, and as far as dates, we'll be on vacation from October 14-20 so I hope the party can be before or after then so that I can participate!

Miriam , mom to jumpers.gif
#27 of 35 Old 09-11-2009, 02:42 PM

Ooooh!! I want to join.
#28 of 35 Old 09-12-2009, 10:06 PM

Count me in! I've been slacking a bit on blogging over the summer, but am starting to get back into it a bit more.
#29 of 35 Old 09-13-2009, 05:57 PM

I'm in too!
#30 of 35 Old 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I was hoping to write a post on harvesting our olives and pressing them for oil, if we went with the seasonal theme for the blog party, but dh and I are not going to be harvesting them this year, so I have nothing...I think I'm having a hard to coming up with alternatives just because I am so disappointed that we won't have our own oil to cook with...

So I'd kind of like a different theme. Miriam has suggested "a day in the life," which I like too. Otherwise, we could do a very general theme, perhaps just introducing our blogs, why we blog, where we live, etc. I'm going to try to brainstorm over the next couple of days.

In the meantime, suggestions are very, very welcome!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page