Mothering Forum banner

Critique A Blog ~ mimid

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  mimid 
#1 ·
Tripletly Blessed - Crunchy Kosher Parenting

As always, here are the generic questions, but mimid may have more specific ones for you!

Blog Critique Questions

1. What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
2. Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' me?
3. Is the writing interesting to read?
4. Should the writing be strictly educational, or include personal posts to add some personality?
5. Is the content worth coming back for?
6. How can I bring more traffic?
7. How can I generate more comments?
8. Is there something that you feel would take my blog to the next level?

See less See more
#2 ·
oh hai. I know you from twitter!

Um, I see you had layout/header issues.

I guess my only thing is....you guessed it...the sidebars! lol, yes I DO have issues, thank you.
I know it's mostly me, but they seem so long! I think if you rolled your catagories into a dropdown bar, that would be a huge help on the right.

Oh, and I'd love to see pics of your works in progress linked to that list. That would be so neat.

#3 ·
nice! i think the name and tagline fit the content really well, and i like how specific it is. i mean, there is no confusion about what 'crunchy kosher parenting' might mean. i was reluctant to start reading, seeing that there have been no posts in six weeks and the posts on the first page seemed intimidating in length, but i'm glad i read.

i was afraid i wouldn't relate, because i thought the parenting posts would be specific to parenting multiples, but they're not. they're really about the same issues all parents face. i have to admit i most enjoyed the posts related to your inward experiences as a mother (like the mikveh post - my favorite!) more so than the practical daily life with kids posts, but that's probably just me.

i really enjoyed your quick posts repeating the same format, like 'overheard' and the gratitude posts - can't remember what you called those. also, i was thrown off by the titles of the gratitude posts . . . i thought the numbers were calling attention especially to that item on the list.

like the pp, i thought the sidebar with categories was waaaay long. there are like a million categories, and many of them only have one post. it says 'find what you are looking for'. i don't know if i could even find the category i was looking for, lol. that could be dramatically simplified. i'm wondering if maybe you use the categories like tags. categories should be general, tags get more specific.

i'm excited to see your new-and-improved blog when it's ready! hurry and get it done while this thread is active so you can link to it!

#4 ·
I am with pp's the side bar is quite long. I like your design. Your writing in well done. Maybe I didn't read enough posts but I ended up skimming a lot of the content just because I kind of need something interesting or catchy to keep me reading these days and even though they are well written there seems to be a little "spice" missing on the posts that I read on the first page.

#5 ·
Hehe, I like long sidebars... hey the space is there, why not use it?

I love, love, love your header! Cute blog! I didn't have time to read posts so I'll have to do that later, but your layout is great!

#6 ·
I like the layout very much. The header photos are wonderful.

I happened upon your profile page by chance when I clicked on your photo hoping to enlarge it. (I like to look at pictures.) I suggest making a text link under the photo so that the page will be easier to find.

I agree with the pp about the tag list. It's so long that it makes searching by topic difficult. I think you could easily consolidate some of those categories.

One last thing, the photos in at least two posts (one in the art category and the other in day in the life) are no longer showing, there's a message from Photobucket that they've been moved or deleted.

I really enjoyed reading your blog (consider me another fan of the overheard posts) and hope you'll start posting again soon.

#7 ·
I noticed the sidebar list too. At first it bothered me, but as the PP said, why not use the space? I guess my problem with it was that there's so much good stuff below the list. If that stuff was above the long list, I probably wouldn't even care.

I'm also not a huge fan of the font....particularly when it's italicized. It just doesn't pop and is a little hard to read.

Add me to the list of people who LOVE the "Overheard" posts. I also really like your header. I love the "Crunchy Kosher Parenting" line. It really grabbed my attention.

Well done Momma!!!
:

#8 ·
Ahhh! I kept meaning to make sure I was at the back of the list. I'm having issues with the person doing the design taking for-ever. Its almost to the point where I can just finish it myself.

There will be a label cloud that only shows labels with a min of 5 posts and the buttons will all be cleaned up with links to the "about me" page and also some reference links.

I have loads of posts in the draft column and I'm hoping to get it all done this week.

Thanks for all of the feedback!

#10 ·
I looked! I love the header... your girls are so gorgeous!

I have trouble reading the font, BUT it is nice that's it's different. Definitely eye-catching.

I think your layout and header work really well. Nice job!

#14 ·
I'm joining the throng in admiring the header. The pictures are great and your title is excellent.

I have to say that I was put off by the font -- I think it's pretty hard to read. I understand the desire to stand out with your font, but maybe look for one that's a little easier on the eyes.

The "on the needles" sidebar is interesting (although as a non-knitter I confess I couldn't quite figure out what it was at first). Do post pictures!

My last comment would be to try to keep the posts short and snappy. Particularly when you have someone new visiting the blog, you've got to catch their attention pretty fast. Devoted readers will probably be willing to hang with you for eight paragraphs but newcomers might not. I think the font issues plays into that too -- visually the post for August 12 looks even longer than it is.

Thanks for sharing and good look with your crew. I struggle with one and really can't imagine how you do it!

Kate

#15 ·
I had been wondering about the font. The lady who designed it chose it so I figured I'd give it a try. I did make it larger than she had it because I couldn't read it! I just changed all of it to Times.

As for the length, I know the center column is a lot more narrower than I used to have it. i'll make a note so that the next time I redo the header, I want it wider. The only other thing I can think of right now is to get rid of a column, but that will mean cuting back on the stuff in the sidebars. I'll have to think on it.

Thanks!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.