Critique A Blog ~ Breeder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-26-2009, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Breeder's blog is called The Breeder Files: A Blog with Childbearin’ Hips

As always, here are the generic questions, but Breeder may have more specific ones for you!

Blog Critique Questions

1. What do you think of the layout? The number of columns? The colors?
2. Does my profile info read well? Does it help readers 'know' me?
3. Is the writing interesting to read?
4. Should the writing be strictly educational, or include personal posts to add some personality?
5. Is the content worth coming back for?
6. How can I bring more traffic?
7. How can I generate more comments?
8. Is there something that you feel would take my blog to the next level?

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#2 of 6 Old 08-26-2009, 05:09 PM

I love your writing! Funny, warm, witty!

It's hard to write any constructive criticism since I'm in the fishbowl too and my knees are shaking. I guess the one thing I'd change are the white sides... the template is a little plain for how good the writing is. But if you like it... hey! it stays.

Erin caffix.gif , Happy wife of Honey Bearguitar.gif , mom of Curly Miss (11/04), Little Mister (10/06), Princess Abi (3/08), and The Bean (9/09) jumpers.gifadoptionheart-1.gif  <>< oh, and I blog.

#3 of 6 Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM

I agree with Whistler, your blog is warm, funny and witty. I'm particularly moved with your more introspective posts.

I like that your layout is clean-cut. The colors are on the mild side but I think it works. The only thing that's missing for me is a list of your post categories. You mention posting top 10 lists on your Contact Me page and it would be nice to find them easily.

Great blog, mama!
#4 of 6 Old 08-28-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajamergrrl View Post
The only thing that's missing for me is a list of your post categories. You mention posting top 10 lists on your Contact Me page and it would be nice to find them easily.
I was going to post that I find recent posts" redundant because they are always the same posts on your page. Perhaps you can add categories in that place?

Also, I read in your bio that you are going towards a BA in psychology, and in your most recent post you are an English major? <confused>

I'm trying hard to be constructive, but that was all I could come up with!

I agree with the other posters - you have a nice blog with fun, witty content!
#5 of 6 Old 09-11-2009, 03:53 AM

Personally, I like the recent posts in the sidebar. I like to be able to look at a few post titles to get a quick idea of what a blogger has been writing about.

I agree with one of the pp about the lack of a categories widget. It's another tool that allows new readers to figure out what you write about and whether they're interested enough to keep reading and come back. Your content is interesting and your writing is excellent, so they should do both of those anyway...but every little bit helps, right?

I like the clean layout and I love the quotidian (notwithstanding the presence of the Christmas tree) feel of the header photo, but I wish it weren't so blurry.
#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 AM

Well this is embarrassingly late. But truthfully I took a break from MDC during the semester and just now wandered back.

Thank you all for looking at my blog and your kind words. I will definitely put up a topic list and change my bio to correct my major (which I decided to switch just before going back to school last semester). Hope you've all had a productive couple of months and I'm glad to be back here!

Breeder Mama: = wife to an amazing man + mama to J-Bear (07/02) and E-Train (06/08), nanny to Little Bird (07/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page