New to blogging - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2009, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
I only have 2 questions to start off with and I hope you can help me.

First off, the only blog sites I know of are BlogHer and a Google one. What are some others so that I can take a browse thru them before I decide on one?

My next question is: I want to do a food blog but I don't know if I can use recipes from books I have. Is it ok to share those as long as I give full credit to the author?? Or am I better of not doing that at all? I don't want to get into any trouble for copyright infringement.

Thanks for any advice you have.

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2009, 07:23 PM

Also check out:

blogger.com
wordpress.com
livejournal.com

As far as copyright goes, I am pretty sure that you will need to obtain permission to use recipes from a book, in addition to crediting the author. Some recipes might be in the public domain and those would be fine.

Good luck and enjoy setting up your blog!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:33 PM

About recipes, the copywrited part is the instructions, so if you rewrite the instructions, legally you should be okay. I would definitely see if any of the recipes are already available online (e.g., a lot of Food Network chefs have a bunch of their recipes available on the Food Network website) and link to them if possible.

Personally, I won't post recipes I haven't messed with (changed the proportions or substituted ingredients or whatever), but I know a lot of people do and don't have any problems with it.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 10-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Although I'm not the OP, I wanted to say thanks for posting that information Amy. It's good to know.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the info!
ETA: I found this link and thought it may be very helpful. I hope it's ok to post it here.
http://foodblogalliance.com/2009/04/...ttribution.php

DS (03/10) &  DD (06/07) both were/are : waterbirth.jpg homebirth.jpg winner.jpg

Old 10-23-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beating Earth View Post
Hello all,
I only have 2 questions to start off with and I hope you can help me.

First off, the only blog sites I know of are BlogHer and a Google one. What are some others so that I can take a browse thru them before I decide on one?

My next question is: I want to do a food blog but I don't know if I can use recipes from books I have. Is it ok to share those as long as I give full credit to the author?? Or am I better of not doing that at all? I don't want to get into any trouble for copyright infringement.

Thanks for any advice you have.
I use self-hosted wordpress which is really worth it. On using recipes from the books you already have, it's generally considered poor form to rewrite them for your audience without appropriate credit (i.e. adapted from ...). If you want to post it word-for-word, you'll have to seek permission from the author or publishing house. Most publishing houses are more than willing to give you permission since it provides publicity for the book in question.

I blog traditional foods and Weston A Price at Nourished Kitchen. See my healthy recipes.

User Tag List